Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It (59934 Views)

Not A Single Kobo Has Been Saved From Fuel Subsidy Removal - Ajaero / IPMAN Protests Exclusion From Fuel Distribution By NNPCL / We Expect Fierce Opposition From Fuel Subsidy Beneficiaries – Shettima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It by Pointnoire(m): 3:38am On Jun 28, 2023
In a sane country this is termed hearsay, you charge him to court and what exactly is the crime? Una too de overate this sane country line … the law is an ass
oluseyiforjesus:
In a sane country this man will produce dat his friend n both of them will be charged to court, but in Nigeria na yahoo yahoo boys dey dey charge to court if he no settle them.......
Re: My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It by polygamist: 4:08am On Jun 28, 2023
Babatunjo:
I am typing this with tears in my eyes.
Nigeria is gone.
I supported Tinubu but the analysis I am hearing recently is very sad.

Subsidy was started to put money in the hands of the big men of those days, subsidy is also being removed now to put more money in the hands of the rich and big men of Nigeria of today.
Thanking you though. You too, you are One of the gullible. Don't deny that.

Such a sad situation for my nation and the masses who are so gullible.

Watch closely and you will see clearly the game called Nigeria.

It's sad.
Re: My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It by caye(m): 8:18am On Jun 28, 2023
nairalanda1:
The way the subsidy scam works, first there is price controls, then there is payment for the resulting lossess...the subsidy.

The thing is, it is in the payment that opportunity for looting and corruption arises.

At the end, subsidies cost a lot of money because the government has to spend a lot of money paying for potential losses. Based on the fear of the losses being too high, a lot of money has to be paid.

That;s where the looting comes in...

Also, the fact is, when one brings in price controls, you in essence foul up the profit motive. People go into business for the sole purpose of making money...not just for their pockets, but to run their business. Subsidy took that away, made the refineries crash because of prices being kept too low, and then forced us to import, which in turn provided lots of opportunites to make money.

All because we all wanted cheap fuel.

The problem is, there is no such thing as cheap fuel.

Countries that used to do price controls all had one thing in common...massive scarcity, and large black markets.

So;
Botswana, Ghana
Egypt, Libya,
Russia, Syria
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait etc

--------------------------
So, these countries with cheap fuel ( compared with their average standard of living) ; are not living on planet earth?
How are they doing it?

So, you mean to Tell me that it is normal for a OIL PRODUCING COUNTRY TO SPEND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON REPAIR OF REFINERIES, AND THESE SAME REFINERIES NEVER WORK, AND SALARIES ARE BEING PAID?

----------------------------------------
You ppl are evil.
I hope you are in Europe or America. If so, may your evil Karma catch up with you:

pesticide -filled foods
LGBTQ lordship
White pride race soldiers mass killings
Nuclear war

As you reduced your motherland to a slave plantation, may Mother Earth visit you in her fury
Re: My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It by nairalanda1(m): 8:33am On Jun 28, 2023
caye:

So;
Botswana

Can afford subsidies, especially since they have less than 3 million people, and earn enough to pay for 50 or more million.

, Ghana

Ghana has no subsides on petrol or any other thing. Ghana also has two working refineries since their refineries make a profit. Ghana also was a prime destination for smuggled Nigerian petrol

Egypt,

Ten years ago, yes, today, no. Subsidies have been phased out in Egypt.
Libya,

Produces about 1.8 barrels per day...and the revenue sustains 7million people....compared to Nigeria's 1.5million and 220 million. Also has a massive smuggling problem

Russia,

Has a diversified economy, and better tax regime...and even then fuel is more expensive than Nigeria anyway.

Syria

Cutting subsides since 2020. Economic issues

Saudi Arabia, Kuwait etc

Both Saudi (10million barrels plus massive income from religious tourisim) and Kuwait (5million barrels) have low populaitons, (40 million for Saudi, 4.5 m for Kuwait)...compared to Nigeria (1.5 million barrels a day, with 220 million people) so relatively have more revenue to pay for subsides.

Try harder.

--------------------------
So, these countries with cheap fuel ( compared with their average standard of living) ; are not living on planet earth?
How are they doing it?

Simple, they can afford it...because they have a higher per capita revenue than we do, due to low populaitons and higher oil revenue than we do. And diversified economies

And as I said, some of these countries are cutting subsides, or removing them

So, you mean to Tell me that it is normal for a OIL PRODUCING COUNTRY TO SPEND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON REPAIR OF REFINERIES, AND THESE SAME REFINERIES NEVER WORK, AND SALARIES ARE BEING PAID?

Ever wonder why I regard all our governments, including this one as evil and bad? They do not diversify from oil. That is why I did not vote for APC, have never voted for PDP.

We have to make more money to get subsides back...and that means being like Russia with its industrial economy, and like the Europeans with their high tax to gdp ratio...and like the USA an actively exporting industrial economy.

Being an oil producer means nothing, when the money you earn is not enough, and when you gat corrupt leaders stealing large bits of it. One has to fight corruption, fight sloth and get more sources of money.

Naija needs side hustle and better control of how money is spent, in simple terms.

----------------------------------------
You ppl are evil.
I hope you are in Europe or America. If so, may your evil Karma catch up with you:

What you think of me does not change facts on ground.

pesticide -filled foods
LGBTQ lordship
White pride race soldiers mass killings
Nuclear war

?

As you reduced your motherland to a slave plantation, may Mother Earth visit you in her fury

For saying that subsides are not sustainable?

Man, in 2012, GEJ wanted to remove subsides...because in 2011, we spent three times more on subsides than we did in 2010. If he had kept subsides, we would have ended up with the subsides eating our revenue for 2012...and that means there would have been no money for nothing.

The same thing was happening npw. Subsidy costs for this year had already reached 75% of what we spent all of last year, and government still owes NNPC money on subsidy claims. We are servicing debts using 60% of our income. And you want us to pay for subsidy.....with which money?

If we kept the subsidy we would have run out of money. And we would be paying for the thing with our revenue, plus loans plus money that does not exist. And the hole would have been growing.

You don't need to support APC to realize that this is madness.

The problem with subsides is that the cost of producing petrol keeps on rising and rising and rising and rising..which means subsidies rise with it, till it reaches a point where we can't keep paying for them. We are there right now.

You don't have to like it man.
Re: My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It by Matrixoba: 10:34am On Jun 28, 2023
In the economics of fuel in this country, Nigeria never sold at a loss when the refineries were producing. Have you even heard of the "Abacha miracle"?
Subsidy was a leeway to steal the national wealth. We don't have accurate statistics of fuel consumed in this country, so how do we know the subsidy to be paid? It's simply a sham. It was never there in the first place.
Again, we will continue to pay highly for the product since we continue to import.
I will leave this conversation for the next 8 years. Then we can continue the analogy
nairalanda1:

Yes we can so long as the refineries make a profit doing so

Which subsidy was not allowing

Key word,selling at a loss
Re: My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It by nairalanda1(m): 10:42am On Jun 28, 2023
Matrixoba:
In the economics of fuel in this country, Nigeria never sold at a loss when the refineries were producing. Have you even heard of the "Abacha miracle"?

The same Abacha under whom refineries were depreciating?

Plus keeping fuel at N11 fro years had a long term effect.

Subsidy was a leeway to steal the national wealth. We don't have accurate statistics of fuel consumed in this country, so how do we know the subsidy to be paid? It's simply a sham. It was never there in the first place.

If it was never there, then why are you complaining about its removal?

If there was no subsidy, we would have been paying over N100 for fuel since 2011.

If not higher self.

Plus the looting from subsidy happens because it is at the end free money, and also when you fix prices of products, you foul up the profit motive ....and people would end up using underhand means to earn money.

Again, we will continue to pay highly for the product since we continue to import.
I will leave this conversation for the next 8 years. Then we can continue the analogy
[/quote]

Fuel costs money to refine and transport. It's not meant to be cheap man. Or how do you expect the refineries to make enough profit to fix things and pay workers?

Ghana, Niger have refineries and no subsidy. And no corruption. And their refineries work.

Only countries that can have subsidy sucessfully and have working refineries are countries like Libya who have populations below 10 million and produce more fuel than Nigeria. Or countries like Iran whose subsidies eat twice their oil revenue...and can live with high debt without complaining as a result.
Re: My Friend Got Tired Making Money From Fuel Subsidy, Begged President To Stop It by Matrixoba: 3:31pm On Jun 28, 2023
As logical as your analysis, it's has some missing bricks.
Despite their nonfunctional state, the refineries still have workers and huge money is expended annually on maintenance.
No matter your appraisal, it pays more to refine than to import. That's where corruption creeps in. The elites know this very well. Subsidy is free money for leaders. It doesn't exists, so its removal is a sham.
Anyways, I respect your opinion on the subject.
nairalanda1:

The same Abacha under whom refineries were depreciating?

Plus keeping fuel at N11 fro years had a long term effect.

If it was never there, then why are you complaining about its removal?

If there was no subsidy, we would have been paying over N100 for fuel since 2011.

If not higher self.

Plus the looting from subsidy happens because it is at the end free money, and also when you fix prices of products, you foul up the profit motive ....and people would end up using underhand means to earn money.

Fuel costs money to refine and transport. It's not meant to be cheap man. Or how do you expect the refineries to make enough profit to fix things and pay workers?

Ghana, Niger have refineries and no subsidy. And no corruption. And their refineries work.

Only countries that can have subsidy sucessfully and have working refineries are countries like Libya who have populations below 10 million and produce more fuel than Nigeria. Or countries like Iran whose subsidies eat twice their oil revenue...and can live with high debt without complaining as a result.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Isaac Balami's Car Explodes In Abuja (Photos) / Gunmen Attack EFCC Headquarters In Abuja (photos) / "Corruption List" To Exclude Names Of Those Returning Money - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.