Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? (41769 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by yom2(m): 12:09am On Jun 28, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons).

Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail.

Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?
U are very funny U mean ur learner lecturer s did not tell U?

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Desusi: 4:37am On Jun 28, 2023
Omihanifa:
You mean you are a graduate and you don't know the meaning of bsc hons.
Serious question! Iam shocked too brother, this shows the levels our educational standard has gone.Half- baked graduate everywhere. Some of them cannot reply ordinary query in their PPA while serving in NYSC.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Desusi: 4:50am On Jun 28, 2023
Buharidgeneral:
this epistle is not necessary. Just one sentence is ok
Some will still write volume 1,2,3 books on this issue. Why are we like this? Even what you have gathered are gone already.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by olumided: 5:44am On Jun 28, 2023
BSc Hons means you graduated within the university range of year. Note, you may have extra year, it doesn't count as far as if your course is 4years and you don't exceed the maximum 6years.

Omihanifa:
You mean you are a graduate and you don't know the meaning of bsc hons.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by olumided: 5:48am On Jun 28, 2023
Wrong sir. It is not so in Nigeria. I know you don't know much about us again, because you are a citizen there. Help me greet bodo oyinbo.

[wequote author=Thereishel post=124073976]I graduated with Bsc. Honors here in USA. Over here it means first class but in Nigeria it means you graduated early than stipulated time maybe 3 years for four year course[/quote]
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Vecta5: 6:07am On Jun 28, 2023
The main difference between a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree and a Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree (BSc Hons) lies in the level of academic achievement and the structure of the programs. Here are some key distinctions:

Academic Rigor: A BSc degree typically represents a standard undergraduate program, while a BSc (Hons) degree signifies an additional level of specialization and academic rigor. BSc (Hons) programs often require students to undertake more advanced coursework, research, or a thesis project.

Duration: In many educational systems, a BSc degree is typically completed within three years, whereas a BSc (Hons) degree generally extends the program by an additional year, making it a four-year degree.

Entry Requirements: BSc (Hons) programs often have more stringent entry requirements compared to BSc programs. They may require higher academic achievements or specific prerequisites to gain admission.

Coursework and Research: BSc (Hons) programs typically include a research component, such as a research project, dissertation, or thesis. This allows students to delve deeper into their field of study and develop research skills. BSc programs may have less emphasis on research and may focus more on foundational coursework.

Recognition and Advantages: In some academic systems, the completion of a BSc (Hons) degree may carry more prestige or recognition compared to a standard BSc degree. It can be advantageous for individuals pursuing further studies, such as postgraduate or research-based programs.

It's important to note that the exact distinction between BSc and BSc (Hons) degrees can vary across different countries and universities. Therefore, it's advisable to refer to the specific educational institution's guidelines and requirements to understand the precise differences and benefits associated with each degree.

(From Chat GPT)
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by pfadom: 6:23am On Jun 28, 2023
Are you sure you attended the institution? How would you enrol in a 4 or 5 years degree programme without a clear understanding of the nature of award of degree.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by StJasper(m): 6:34am On Jun 28, 2023
TruthinAction:

We also have other degree such as B.Eng (Mechanical) or B.Eng (Civil) which is neither of the degrees you mentioned.

They are all first degrees. Nothing more.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Badonasty(m): 6:35am On Jun 28, 2023
Oduok:

In Nigerian and British university system, Bachelor's degree with Honours means you graduated with either First Class, Second Class or Third Class grade. It is only Pass that does not have Hons. Pass is Ordinary.

Best answer so far
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by VIKTO83(m): 8:09am On Jun 28, 2023
It means u are honourable.
U will have to go to Abuja and join the house of rep members to be answering honourable up and down and by extension join to milk our economy dry.

I got this from a mad man.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by brendan007: 9:38am On Jun 28, 2023
HopeSpencer:

No.

In my faculty where there are four departments, you must pass all courses from all the four departments from year 1 to 1st Semester year 5. By 2nd semester year 5, that is the only semester that will differentiate the students, that is the only time you won't sit for courses from other 3 departments. Year 5 2nd semester is the only time you will do courses in your department only. So it's safe to say that you graduate with 4 degrees. That's why my degree has Hons.

You're right.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by adanny01(m): 3:09pm On Jun 28, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons).

Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail.

Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?

Bachelor of Science with Honours
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by isapop: 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2023
great
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Smiles98: 7:09pm On Jun 28, 2023
Pls I am a student of a federal university here in Nigeria. Our grading system is 5 points cgpa system. I am in the department of computer science. My current Cgpa is 2.97 with one F. I am currently in 300 level ( first semester) I wanted to know if I still graduate with a Cgpa of at least 3.5 ( second class upper division) I have 4 semester left to achieve this and industrial training which is 6 credit load and project which is also 6 credit load.
Thanks
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by TruthinAction: 1:30pm On Jun 29, 2023
StJasper:

They are all first degrees. Nothing more.

I know, just pointing out the differences in the nomenclature.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by riczy(m): 4:45pm On Jun 29, 2023
manmade:
Wikipedia has this to say : Honours degree has various meanings in the context of different degrees and education systems. Most commonly it refers to a variant of the undergraduate bachelor's degree containing a larger volume of material or a higher standard of study, or both, rather than an "ordinary", "general" or "pass" bachelor's degree. Honours degrees are sometimes indicated by "Hons" after the degree abbreviation, with various punctuation according to local custom, e.g. "BA (Hons)", "B.A., Hons", etc. In Canada, honours degrees may be indicated with an "H" preceding the degree abbreviation, e.g. "HBA" for Honours Bachelor of Arts[1] or Honours Business Administration.[2]

Examples of honours degree include the honors bachelor's degree in the United States;[3] the bachelor's degree with honours in the United Kingdom,[4] the Netherlands,[5] Bangladesh,[6] Hong Kong,[7] and India;[8] the honours bachelor's degree in Ireland;[9] the bachelor with honours and bachelor honours degree in New Zealand; the bachelor with honours and honours bachelor's degree in Canada;[10] and the bachelor honours degree in Australia.[11] In South Africa the bachelor honours degree is a postgraduate degree that follows on from the completion of a bachelor's degree.[12] The undergraduate master of arts degree awarded by the ancient universities of Scotland in place of the bachelor of arts may be awarded as an honours or non-honours degree; these are at the same level as equivalent bachelor's degrees.[13][14] At master's level, the integrated master's degrees in British universities, which students enter at the same level as bachelor's degrees, are also honours degrees.[15]

Many universities and colleges offer both honours and non-honours bachelor's degrees. In most countries where honours degrees are granted, they imply a higher level of achievement than a non-honours degree. In some countries (e.g. Australia), an honours degree may also involve a longer period of study than a non-honours degree.[11] Students who complete all the requirements for a non-honours bachelor's degree but do not receive sufficient merit to be awarded an honours degree would normally be awarded a non-honours degree (sometimes known as a "pass", "general" or "ordinary" degree), although students who do not complete the requirements for an integrated master's honours degree may receive a bachelor's honours degree.[16] In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, almost all bachelor's degrees are awarded as honours degrees; in contrast, honours degrees are rarely awarded in the United States.

The current British undergraduate degree classification system, with its division into first, upper and lower second, and third class honours, was developed in 1918 to distinguish between students on the basis of their academic achievement.[17] The concept of an "honours" degree goes back much further than this, however, as there were examinations for honours in the original regulations of the University of London in 1839,[18] and Nevil Maskelyne being recorded as taking a bachelor's degree with honours at Cambridge in 1754.[19] Other countries influenced by this system include Australia, Brunei, Canada, New Zealand, Malta, Singapore, South Africa, The Netherlands and Hong Kong.
This research is apt from the foregoing!

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by JobAndVacancies: 3:52pm On Jul 01, 2023
Maysdevices:
Never seen so many useless words strung together in my life.

Yeah.
Please can I mail you?
I'd like to interact with you
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by larryking78(m): 10:20am On Jul 05, 2023
Smiles98:
Pls I am a student of a federal university here in Nigeria. Our grading system is 5 points cgpa system. I am in the department of computer science. My current Cgpa is 2.97 with one F. I am currently in 300 level ( first semester) I wanted to know if I still graduate with a Cgpa of at least 3.5 ( second class upper division) I have 4 semester left to achieve this and industrial training which is 6 credit load and project which is also 6 credit load.
Thanks

Well, my dear, you can achieve it if you made at least 7 A 's every semester remaining with 4.60 CGPA. Do the maths and see the possibility
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by seguno2: 5:04am On Aug 01, 2023
Nwachi22:

Honours are awarded to students who the university found worthy not only in academics but in character as well. Honours are not awarded to students who have issues in their character be it 1st class or 2^1.

One can be awarded 1st class or 2^1 without Honours.

Please how many people do you know who were awarded 1st class or 2^1 without honours
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 6:00pm On Sep 16, 2023
PARADIZEPRIEST:
THERE IS NOTHIN PRESTIGIOUS ABOUT YOUR GLORIFIED SECONDARY sch YOU Called UNI,IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ASKING.
JUST GO and WRITE anoda JAMB AND RESUME FOR U.I.TO RESET YOUR BRAIN. angry do you people see that education is about your diligence to know while in school and not about copying assignments and partying on campus.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? / OAU Female Student 'Ran Mad' While Reading For Exam / LAUTECH 2013/2014 Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.