Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,666 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment (17927 Views)

More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff / Electricity: Uncertainty, As Discos Bid To Pull Out / Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Lutherblaq: 8:57am On Jun 27, 2023
While the pains of fuel subsidy removal still linger, the confusion surrounding a planned electricity tariff increment starting from July 1 has compounded the worries.

In the last three years, several upward electricity Tariff adjustments have been made under the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission’s Multi-Year Tariff Order, MYTO, in line with current economic realities, in this case, the inflation rate and the exchange rate of Naira at foreign exchange window.

Consequently, In 2020 electricity tariff was reviewed upward; also January 1 2021, a 50 per cent tariff increment was implemented by electricity Companies. 2022 witnessed reviews upward.

Following the floating of the Naira at the foreign exchange market, exchanging N700-750 to 1$ and inflation rising to 21.41 per cent, there were indications of a planned electricity tariff increment.

The indication of an electricity tariff increment reached a crescendo when it went round the media during the weekend, but Abuja Distribution Company denied the claim on Monday.

AEDC said that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, was yet to approve tariff increments.

Speaking exclusively with DAILY POST on Monday, the Assistant Manager of Public Affairs at NERC said the Commission Mr Michael Faloseyi has not approved tariff increment.

“I do not have the authority to grant any media interview, but I can confirm that the Commission has not approved any tariff increase”, he said.

But, a stakeholder in the industry, who preferred anonymity, insisted that the increment will be implemented by July 1. According to him, the denial by DisCos does not mean that the increment will not be implemented.

There may be some pressure from behind telling the electricity distribution companies that it is too early to announce tariff increase.

That is why the DisCos denied the increase. The denial does not mean that it will not be implemented; it is just information management. It means that the increment would likely take place but may not be the per cent increase making the round.

Nigerians are yet to recover from the naira parity and fuel subsidy removal; now we are jumping to electricity.

We cannot task ourselves to prosperity; it does not happen like that. It should be one step at a time”, a former spokesperson to one of the DisCos said.

Speaking on the economic implication of an electricity tariff increment, Idakolo Gbolade, Chief Executive Officer of SD & D Capital Management, said it will further weaken the purchasing power of Nigerians.

He, however, appealed that the government should, as a matter of National interest, shelve the idea of the tariff increment.

“The implications of the 40% tariff increment on electricity will further weaken Nigerians and reduce their purchasing power.

“The subsidy removal is being endured, while the exchange rate policy has increased the cost of services determined by the US dollars. We know that effective government policies can surmount this hardship, but there should be no additional burden on the people who can wear them out in the short run.

“I will sincerely appeal to the government to shelve the impending tariff increment in the interest of the masses.

“We know that these government policy directions could eventually lead us to economic prosperity in the long run as a nation, but in the interim, Nigerians must live to enjoy the anticipated benefits”, he stated.

Also, Prof Segun Ajibola, the former President and Chairman of the Council of Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria said the increment in tariff should reflect in the quality of service delivery by the DisCos.

“For an increase in electricity tariff, the GENCOS and DISCOS need to live up to their callings and ensure that there is value for money.

“This is lacking at the moment, but one is quite hopeful that a visionary government of today would not condone the national embarrassment the whole arrangement of power generation, transmission and distribution has turned to in Nigeria.

“Overall, Nigerians should realise that this is one occasion in our national life when some things may have to get temporarily worse before they can get better.

“And, of course, the promised palliatives from the government will be a soothing balm pending the time the fruits of the current hard, courageous policy dimensions will be ripe enough for everybody to pluck and suck”, he stated.

When DAILY POST contacted the Nigerian Labour Congress Spokesperson, Benson Upah for comment, he stated that workers had already made their position known to the government on the proposed electricity increment. He stressed that the government should do everything possible to shelve the proposed increment.

Earlier, a statement signed by NLC President, Joe Ajaero vehemently opposed the planned electricity tariff hike.

The President of Network of Energy Reforms Nigeria, Nigeria Consumer Protection Network, Mr Kunle Olubiyo said it is likely that DisCos would backtrack on their planned tariff increment because it was insensitive at this moment.

According to him, the federal government must be well guided on the tariff increment decision to avoid imposing further suffering on Nigerians.

He noted that the template for reviewing the pricing of tariffs should be looked into by the government.

“It is still unclear; it seems the DisCos would backtrack on their decision to hike electricity tariff pending approval from NERC. The Federal Government must be guided on their decision.

“The Federal Government should be properly guided, also look into Gas Pricing and clean up all possible areas of Price Gold Plating & Padded Cost of Electricity Tariff by reviewing the Methodology/ Templates. I mean the price / Tariff Indicators.

“Gas Pricing should be done in Naira. Most importantly, access to Prepaid Metres should also be addressed by the Government by giving Credit Facility to Indigenous Metres assembling plants/made in Nigeria Metres Manufacturers”, he said.

https://dailypost.ng/2023/06/27/more-hardship-looms-for-nigerians-as-discos-mull-tariff-increment/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Lutherblaq: 8:59am On Jun 27, 2023
What have we done in this country to deserve this wickedness from our leaders

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by HelinuesJobles: 9:00am On Jun 27, 2023
Delta state seriously complaining of power supply.

The discos will favor me and my family

Helinues

95 Likes 8 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Researcher720(f): 9:06am On Jun 27, 2023
What will they call this one na

3 Likes

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Antimandatethie(m): 9:11am On Jun 27, 2023
Heffalump:
I want to ask a question, please. Is he from the South East? If not, then know that Drug peddling is not done by one region alone.

1 Like

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Martinsmine(m): 9:44am On Jun 27, 2023
Solar is a bae

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by youngsahito(m): 10:05am On Jun 27, 2023
Tinubu is doing as if he is deaf to this increments that has been flying round. Subsidy palava still dey.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by slawomir: 10:50am On Jun 27, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Hahah

It will favour me and my family where are ya all?

Let the hardship begins
Am beginning to love this
Bar man give me enough bottles...no pity for any Nigerians untill we stop stepping into the polling unit with sentiment and tribalism

161 Likes 20 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Fapemz: 10:50am On Jun 27, 2023
Revolutionary Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery to Transform Nigeria's Power Landscape Amidst Soaring Fuel and Electricity Costs

Akure, 27/06/2023 - In the face of skyrocketing fuel prices and exorbitant electricity tariffs, the power landscape in Nigeria is on the verge of a transformative breakthrough. Introducing the game-changing Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery (LFP), a beacon of hope for Nigerians seeking an affordable and reliable alternative to traditional power generation options.

With the recent surge in fuel and gas prices, as well as the escalating electricity tariffs, Nigerians are feeling the pinch more than ever. It is in this challenging environment that our range
of LFP battery tagged Cooldipo Mobile Power Solutions (MPS) emerges as a saviour, offering respite from the burden of rising energy costs and ushering in a new era of power independence.

Here's why our MPS is the answer Nigeria has been waiting for:

1. Unbeatable Affordability: Say goodbye to the days of emptying your pockets to fill up on fuel or paying hefty electricity bills. Our battery provides an affordable alternative, liberating you from the clutches of soaring prices. It's time to reclaim control over your energy expenses and experience significant long-term savings.

2. Reliability in the Face of Uncertainty: With frequent fuel shortages and electricity outages plaguing the nation, MPS stands as a beacon of reliability. Say goodbye to interruptions and disruptions in your power supply. Our battery ensures a stable and consistent energy source, providing you with peace of mind and uninterrupted productivity.

3. Eco-Friendly Energy Solution: As the world grapples with the consequences of climate change, it is our responsibility to embrace cleaner and greener energy alternatives. Our battery is an eco-friendly choice, reducing carbon emissions and contributing to a sustainable future. Join the movement towards a cleaner Nigeria and be a part of the solution.

4. Versatility and Adaptability: Our battery is designed to cater to a wide range of power needs. From residential setups to commercial establishments and off-grid applications, it seamlessly integrates with solar panels, NEPA, Generator and other energy sources. It offers you the flexibility to customize and create your own energy ecosystem.

5. Durability and Longevity: We understand the importance of a reliable and long-lasting power solution. LFP battery is built to withstand the test of time, with a robust chemistry which guarantees extended lifespan. It eliminates the need for frequent replacements and maintenance, providing you with a hassle-free and cost-effective energy solution.

The time for change is now. Embrace the power revolution with our lithium battery and bid farewell to the era of frequent change of battery and soaring fuel prices and exorbitant electricity tariffs.
Join us in shaping a brighter future for Nigeria, where power is accessible, affordable, and sustainable.
For inquiries or further information, please contact:
Cooldipo www.cooldipo.com +23480.653.16307

2 Likes

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by specialmati(m): 10:51am On Jun 27, 2023
cool cool cool cool cool cool nothing like more hardship anything, Nigerians are survivors they survived change, next level they will also survive finish level.so keep on rolling more increase nothing they happen

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by kponkedenge(m): 10:51am On Jun 27, 2023
I support the increment 100 percent.

The poor must have sense by force.

I hope the 2k given to them during the election would last them for the next four years.

129 Likes 10 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Brendaniel: 10:51am On Jun 27, 2023
In less than a month Tinubu has failed more than Buhari and Jonathan combined 12 years of governance....

102 Likes 9 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by eluquenson(m): 10:51am On Jun 27, 2023
Hmm, not again
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by kennyz247(m): 10:51am On Jun 27, 2023
abeg who swear for this country called Nigeria ?

we neva survive fuel subsidy finish now see electricity hike

5 Likes

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by jackpot(f): 10:51am On Jun 27, 2023
This HARDSHIP and TINUBU's tenure will favour me and my family.

RENEWED SHEGE BANZA PROMAX
grin grin grin

76 Likes 8 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by remsonik(f): 10:52am On Jun 27, 2023
God help Nigeria, many people can't even travel home for eid El-kabir celebrations cos I saw the transport fare to the east, North and some towns in the southwest alone. Your one month salary can't even carry you go to and fro.
Nigerians live within your means

12 Likes

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Unperturbedpota: 10:52am On Jun 27, 2023
HelinuesJobles:

Helinues

grin
Now this is funny

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Judolisco(m): 10:52am On Jun 27, 2023
embarassed
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Yugoslavia247(m): 10:52am On Jun 27, 2023
One thing I noticed is the decline in amount of likes to pro Tinubu posts.

It seems agbadorians are not being favoured so is their family.

One agbado has been lamenting all day here.

I was like don't lament please. The favour you and your family will get from tinubu is on the way.

91 Likes 9 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Quiloxx: 10:53am On Jun 27, 2023
God help us

2 Likes

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Akeem79(m): 10:53am On Jun 27, 2023
HelinuesJobles:

Helinues

People shaaa

Every country has their own Difficulties
Not only in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by jaxxy(m): 10:53am On Jun 27, 2023
I said agbadorians will cry and protest soon.

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Dyfynezz12(m): 10:53am On Jun 27, 2023
Wahala!! Wahala!! Wahala!!
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by jackpot(f): 10:54am On Jun 27, 2023
Agbado people pays less for fuel and they will pay less for electricity cool cool cool

Update: Paste RENEWED HOPE stickers on your metre box and Electricity DISCOs will bill you less cheesy cheesy cheesy

There is no hardship elsewhere. Fuel price is normal. Check wetin UK, US and Canada dey pay for fuel. Things are improving and Tinubu will crash dollar to N200 before December.

Once dollar crashes to N200, price of fuel will drop too to N150 grin grin grin

Infact immediately Dangote Refinery starts working, fuel will drop down to N50 per litre

PBAT will also crash price of garri from N1600 to N250 before December runs out.

Toyota venza price will crash to N500k

Bike prices will also crash to N50k

People are getting jobs on a daily basis, no loss of jobs. grin grin

Close your eyes, touch your chest and say "THIS JAGABANZA ADMINISTRATION MUST FAVOUR ME AND MY FAMILY" grin grin grin

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 27, 2023
On the mandate .
grin you guys aint seen nada.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Kennyfancy(m): 10:54am On Jun 27, 2023
This Administration will Favour me and my family

11 Likes

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by midehi2(f): 10:54am On Jun 27, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Hahah

It will favour ne and my family where are ya all?

Let the hardship begins
Am beginning to love this
Bar man give me enough bottles...no pity for any Nigerians untill we stop stepping into the polling unit without sentiment and tribalism
One is up there, first to comment cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by sevo(m): 10:54am On Jun 27, 2023
It must reach everybody

6 Likes

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by Minjim: 10:54am On Jun 27, 2023
They've been warned to desist as it's not been approved

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by phemmyjohnson: 10:55am On Jun 27, 2023
Awa lokan baba rush rush

1 Like

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment by jmoore(m): 10:55am On Jun 27, 2023
TINUBULATION

27 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emefiele Impersonated SGF To Illegally Obtain $6.2m – EFCC / 2015: Obasanjo Calls For Leadership Change / Insecurity: Our Refusal To Speak Truth, Worsened Our Situation – Northern Elders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.