Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,054 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness (19676 Views)

US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons / Biden Nominates Ketanji Brown Jackson To The US Supreme Court / Biden To Appoint Candace Jackson-Akiwumi As US Supreme Court Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Basic123: 4:33pm On Jun 30, 2023
firo08:

Ozuo how much is fuel.
Your paddy have started begging for urgent 5k.
Werey get sense and forget ethnic politics.
Like this people

Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by nony43(m): 4:34pm On Jun 30, 2023
millionboi2:
that's good, hope Nigeria will do thesame.

Did you read the terms on getting the loan in Nigeria? One them is you must bring a Perm Sect, a Director or a Judge.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Basic123: 4:35pm On Jun 30, 2023
livenija:
touch ur chest, call ur name n say is a fool
You mean your dad?

He is beyond a fool,

If he is not the mad man pethief Obi takes advice from self
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by cococandy(f): 4:36pm On Jun 30, 2023
They don’t want anything that will threaten their base of uneducated misfits.
Wiping out student loans means more families would be able to afford better care and education for their kids since they are not paying back loans hence a better educated future. That will threaten the bigotry they depend on

9jaRealist:

Spoken like folks who do not see education as a PUBLIC good or asset…
That’s why I consistently contend that most Nigerians mirror (and DESERVE) their rulers.

Meanwhile, not a surprising decision from a PARTISAN court…
It’s what the uneducated yahoos that constitute much of the Republican base wanted.
>

1 Like

Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by seunny4lif(m): 4:38pm On Jun 30, 2023
Biden should have called it Ukraine loan not student Loan and watched how all of them will approve it without question
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by 9jaRealist: 4:39pm On Jun 30, 2023
ggoldmine:
Instead of creating new education policies and reforms to mitigate the exorbitant student loans, he's trying to forgive debt. If those debts had been forgiven; What would happen to future student loans? How would financial companies recoup their losses and pay those supposed graduates working for them?

This would have been just a vicious cycle: forgive current loan debts, loan companies suffer, workers are laid off, possible rates hike for student loans, reduced student loan issuance/strict requirements, less people in school, advocacy for free/cheap/access to education, more people in school, more student loans accumulate. It never goes away.
SmartPolician:
Oga, you don't run finances with emotions.

That's why nothing works in Nigeria.

To maintain universities that pioneer innovative research that transforms the world, you need a lot of money.

There's a reason American universities are the best in the world and also are some of the most expensive.

Education is not cheap. If you keep having shitty education, you keep churning out unemployable graduates. That's where student loans come in.

Biden cannot wake up and forgive student loans. Things don't work like that. Perhaps he will wake up someday and tell Americans to stop paying taxes because they have been abolished.

And exactly how would the government’s loan debt forgiveness affect this?! shocked

It seems you don’t even understand the program you’re criticizing…
Since the idea is that the USG would REPAY those loans (that’s what the $400b is needed for).

The “forgiveness” is granted to the student by the government repaying the loans instead…
Lifting the considerable BURDEN of low- and middle-class youth starting off life with a HUGE debt overhang.

PS: Btw, a massive amount of research in US universities are fund by GOVERNMENT grants ($49 billion of FREE cash in 2021)!
>
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Halifaxguy: 4:40pm On Jun 30, 2023
SOFI to the moon.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Dybala11(m): 4:42pm On Jun 30, 2023
Basic123:
OBI idiots we have around will still smuggle Tinubu name into this 😆
Should the leaders also contribute to the nation building by reducing the cost of governance or not??
Classic case of Stockholm's syndrome.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Johncuppa(m): 4:44pm On Jun 30, 2023
siofragspot:
cheesy

No one should mention Tinubu here o
There is no how we will not mention him.
If loan is difficult for students to repay, to the point of the president thinking of forgiving them in the number one country of the world, it will sure be a disaster in the poor ravaging country like Nigeria with no job and a working economy policy

Last last, the 20 millions Americans if they are Nigerians will be forced to join Nigeria Army, and will be fed with agbado and cassava.

This government should help Nigerians.
Education subsidy removal will be worse than fuel, especially for we southwesterners - education is our only pride.
The Igbos have their business, and northers enjoy their power and low life.
If education becomes commercialized, Yoruba may not have anything to be proud of and the legacy of Awolowo gone for good. And to think we are not so rich to afford it is another thing.

1 Like

Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by maestroferddi: 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2023
Trump coming for Biden...
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by InvertedHammer: 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2023
/
Student loan debt forgiveness is like asking owners to free their slaves. It is a tough battle. Take away the shackles of huge debts, many citizens will be disobedient. Debt-free is freedom no reasonable government should give to her citizens. Keep them shackled for loyalty.

/
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Basic123: 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2023
Dybala11:

Should the leaders also contribute to the nation building by reducing the cost of governance or not??
Classic case of Stockholm's syndrome.
Just like you spent all your penny promoting OBI ..while he was hiding his own shishi and children!

Your own Stockholm syndrome is complicated
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by 27Pushing30: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
Cloudflare:
Damn!

If you think Tinubu will ask the supreme court to forgive the student loan debt of Nigerian students, then you must be high on Oshogbo weed. You seriously need to think again!

The drug lord is out to destroy Nigeria and he is already succeeding. Who else noticed that his supporters doesn't say ''This govt will favour me and my family" anymore? The shege pro Max just started

it is not the loan that is the problem it is the interest.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by jaxxy(m): 4:57pm On Jun 30, 2023
Basic123:
OBI idiots we have around will still smuggle Tinubu name into this 😆

president tinubu is much preferable than Mr president who isn't everyone's president so good he deleted it.

tell the online and offline bandits who came for Jonathan on 2015 and even said they will form a parallel government.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Dybala11(m): 4:58pm On Jun 30, 2023
Basic123:

Just like you spent all your penny promoting OBI ..while he was hiding his own shishi and children!

Your own Stockholm syndrome is complicated
I spent absolutely nothing promoting any politician. I trust none of them at all, I can only recommend the lesser evil, which is Obi in my opinion.
Tomorrow, your president will become sick and he'll travel at the expense of the taxpayers to Europe for better health care while he's taking steps to render the health sector unaffordable for average Nigerians. He's also taking steps to render the educational sector unaffordable for average citizens too.
The subsidy removal is a commendable step to some extent, but is there anything you think will be done to mitigate it's effect on the economy and the life of average Nigerians?? The devaluation of the Naira is not just evident on the international market alone. Products bought for 1k about 2 months ago are now bought for far more than that right now. May we not see shege as things are going now o.
I still stand by my words though, why shouldn't the leaders too contribute to nation building by reducing the cost of governance?? Or you think that it's only the citizens alone that have the duty of contributing to nation building??
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Moniya4Real(m): 5:00pm On Jun 30, 2023
Eyah ! Poor American students. Na Ukraine get that money….
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Tundex911: 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2023
I'm 101% sure this will affect 9ja youth...

Awon lazy Nigerian youth lol
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Basic123: 5:09pm On Jun 30, 2023
Dybala11:

I spent absolutely nothing promoting any politician. I trust none of them at all, I can only recommend the lesser evil, which is Obi in my opinion.
Tomorrow, your president will become sick and he'll travel at the expense of the taxpayers to Europe for better health care while he's taking steps to render the health sector unaffordable for average Nigerians. He's also taking steps to render the educational sector unaffordable for average citizens too.
The subsidy removal is a commendable step to some extent, but is there anything you think will be done to mitigate it's effect on the economy and the life of average Nigerians?? The devaluation of the Naira is not just evident on the international market alone. Products bought for 1k about 2 months ago are now bought for far more than that right now. May we not see shege as things are going now o.
I still stand by my words though, why shouldn't the leaders too contribute to nation building by reducing the cost of governance?? Or you think that it's only the citizens alone that have the duty of contributing to nation building??
OBI is a lesser evil to you.
To us,OBI is the worst evil,a FAKE Saint!

OBI can also fall sick at any fucking time, he can even die before Tinubu (Although God forbid,they will both grow old and Tinubu will die before him,being older) but ,GOD DOES WHATEVER HE LIKES.live sickness matter for God!
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Basic123: 5:11pm On Jun 30, 2023
jaxxy:

president tinubu is much preferable than Mr president who isn't everyone's president so good he deleted it.

tell the online and offline bandits who came for Jonathan on 2015 and even said they will form a parallel government.
Who care about what he call him 😆

Na his Idiotic supporters controlling his life headache be that
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by IJEYdiamond(f): 5:14pm On Jun 30, 2023
Cloudflare:
Damn!

If you think Tinubu will ask the supreme court to forgive the student loan debt of Nigerian students, then you must be high on Oshogbo weed. You seriously need to think again!

The drug lord is out to destroy Nigeria and he is already succeeding. Who else noticed that his supporters doesn't say ''This govt will favour me and my family" anymore? The shege pro Max just started

The useless things still support him oooo
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Dybala11(m): 5:20pm On Jun 30, 2023
Basic123:

OBI is a lesser evil to you.
To us,OBI is the worst evil,a FAKE Saint!

OBI can also fall sick at any fucking time, he can even die before Tinubu (Although God forbid,they will both grow old and Tinubu will die before him,being older) but ,GOD DOES WHATEVER HE LIKES.live sickness matter for God!
You clearly misunderstood my statement with the reply you have in this comment.
Let me rephrase it:
If/when President Tinubu gets sick, he will run to a hospital abroad to get better health care services at the expense of the groaning taxpayers. Medical tourism is something that has been in effect right from the time of kleptomaniac PDP leaders. I didn't make mention of either of those political figures dying, I don't know where you see that statement o.
If the citizens are required to make sacrifices for the development of the nation, are the leaders exempted??
Ask valid questions and be objective about things going on. Hold your leaders accountable, until them this nation will never move forward at all.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by cardoctor(m): 5:30pm On Jun 30, 2023
Maybe we should learn something from them about this student loan scheme
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Johncuppa(m): 5:37pm On Jun 30, 2023
SmartPolician:
America is a country where laws work! If Biden wants a cheap way to win his re-election bid, he should use his money to pay the student loans. That's if he has anything close to that.

But then, if Americans, who can easily get jobs after college, are unable to repay their student loans, is it in Nigeria where a student cannot get a decent job after 5 years that people can pay their student loans? cheesy
I fear.
I told my brother who is in his final year, if you have extra year in school, you're on your own.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by ChuksHills(m): 5:38pm On Jun 30, 2023
HonNL:
Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness: Justices rule president does not have authority to cancel debt of millions in another landmark ruling

SOURCE

Even in America where things are going well still the students could not afford to pay the loan talk more of our Nigerian students that have no good platform to secure a job after graduation. I pity who go take that loan.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Poske95(m): 5:43pm On Jun 30, 2023
siofragspot:
cheesy

No one should mention Tinubu here o

Why not.....!!!!
We warned....will he repay for the students.
Can you imagine......?!
No other concept......?!
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Litmus: 5:46pm On Jun 30, 2023
RECTEM:
Same country that spends billions of dollars sponsoring wars across the world cannot afford to wipe out student loans

They would wipe out those student loans in a flash if only white and Asian students alone would benefit from it. I expect there's a perception among the general and majority white anti-woke population of America that the Democrats were angling to benefit lower strater of society predominantly occupied by black Americans.

The Republican leaning US judiciary is out to revoke any African American or left leaning social policies ever instituted by the Democrats.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Bluntemperor: 5:49pm On Jun 30, 2023
RECTEM:
Same country that spends billions of dollars sponsoring wars across the world cannot afford to wipe out student loans

Good questions!
What you see in this, is double Standards in American Political System, especially the Republicans - saying President Boden should not forgive the 20-Millions Students,who are already doing well in their various Professions but must pay back the Loans taking during their School Days!
Lesson: don't think everything is so rossy in USA, especially when it has to do with Funding issues,for it can be politicised!
But the good thing however is that, those Millions Americans forsake ignorance and received Education and enlightenment for better life.
The loans objective have been met in the long run!
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Basic123: 5:59pm On Jun 30, 2023
Dybala11:

You clearly misunderstood my statement with the reply you have in this comment.
Let me rephrase it:
If/when President Tinubu gets sick, he will run to a hospital abroad to get better health care services at the expense of the groaning taxpayers. Medical tourism is something that has been in effect right from the time of kleptomaniac PDP leaders. I didn't make mention of either of those political figures dying, I don't know where you see that statement o.
If the citizens are required to make sacrifices for the development of the nation, are the leaders exempted??
Ask valid questions and be objective about things going on. Hold your leaders accountable, until them this nation will never move forward at all.
...put a stroke and add OBI beside where you mention if he is sick!...is OBI not a politician too?is he not human being,he even mentioned himself that he did surgery in London as a governor.

When you people mentioning Normal Nigerian politician syndrome stop excempting OBI,that is what intelligent anti-OBI individuals hate most!,he has never proved to be different. There is no atrocities committed by A NIGERIAN politician that OBI has never committed before from wanting to be godfather,to betraying his political helpers,to fighting with his precedesecor and successor to jumping from one party to the other to vote buying, to bribing deligates,to money laundering, to keeping his own children off politics while using other people children to gang up ,to associating with other thieves like Ortom,Atiku,madueke,babachir lawal,doyin okupe etc to lying and to negligence of duty as a governor!
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Litmus: 5:59pm On Jun 30, 2023
Take a look at every significant period of the America Epoch, from the civil war to abolition of slavery, from the great depression, to civil rights movement, from the creation of youth industry in the sixties, to fashion, from music to the Apollo missions to Vietnam and Korea wars, you will see the huge part played by Black Americans. You won't see Asians but now America is just trampling over black Americans and making out as though Asians are thire great white hope undecided

I know, I know it seems I'm off topic but I'm not. I simply respond from the future perspective that everyone will eventually arrive at.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Dybala11(m): 6:10pm On Jun 30, 2023
Basic123:
...put a stroke and add OBI beside where you mention if he is sick!...is OBI not a politician too?is he not human being,he even mentioned himself that he did surgery in London as a governor.

When you people mentioning Normal Nigerian politician syndrome stop excempting OBI,that is what intelligent anti-OBI individuals hate most!,he has never proved to be different. There is no atrocities committed by A NIGERIAN politician that OBI has never committed before from wanting to be godfather,to betraying his political helpers,to fighting with his precedesecor and successor to jumping from one party to the other to vote buying, to bribing deligates,to money laundering, to keeping his own children off politics while using other people children to gang up ,to associating with other thieves like Ortom,Atiku,madueke,babachir lawal,doyin okupe etc to lying and to negligence of duty as a governor!
You're already offside from your first reply, Tinubu is the president right now and not Obi. I hold everyone to the same standard irrespective of whether you're the candidate of my choice or not. I thought you said Tinubu is a better candidate, yet you're lumping him with what Obi can and will do, something that Tinubu is already doing. The only pity is that we the Nigerians at home are the ones suffering the brunt of it.
Re: US Supreme Court strikes down Biden's Students Loan Debt Forgiveness by Bluntemperor: 6:15pm On Jun 30, 2023
Litmus:
Take a look at every significant period of the America Epoch, from the civil war to abolition of slavery, from the great depression, to civil rights movement, from the creation of youth industry in the sixties, to fashion, from music to the Apollo missions to Vietnam and Korea wars, you will see the huge part played by Black Americans. You won't see Asians but now America is just trampling over black Americans and making out as though Asians are thire white saviours .
I know, I know it seems I'm off topic but I'm not. I simply respond from the future perspective that everyone will eventually arrive at.

Thanks for your good assessments.
But what you are seeing in America today is diabolical Republicans against the Democrats,who is on the side of history.Ask Mr Trump,he would call the black different names,just to demonised them, even he, through his Father, came to America from Germany,as immigrants.
Terrible indeed!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

US Threatens Russia With "Decisive" Response Over Cuba Deployment Plans / Jacob Zuma Narrowly Survives Impeachment / Sri Lanka Attacks: Face Coverings Banned After Easter Bloodshed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.