Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,939 members, 7,835,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Brazil Court Votes To Bar Ex-president, Bolsonaro From Elections Until 2030 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Brazil Court Votes To Bar Ex-president, Bolsonaro From Elections Until 2030 (115 Views)

Brazil Congress Under Siege, Ex-president Bolsonaro Supporters Overrun Security / Brazilian President Bolsonaro In Hospital Over Intestinal Obstruction / Brazilian President Bolsonaro Fined For Not Wearing A Mask At Bikers' Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Brazil Court Votes To Bar Ex-president, Bolsonaro From Elections Until 2030 by HonNL: 5:31pm On Jun 30, 2023
VIDEO

A panel of judges voted Friday to render far-right former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro ineligible to run for office again after concluding that he abused his power and cast unfounded doubts on the country’s electronic voting system.

The decision, once voting of all judges concludes, will forbid Bolsonaro from running until 2030, upending the 68-year-old’s political future and likely erasing any chance for him to regain power.

Four of the seven judges on the nation’s highest electoral court agreed that Bolsonaro abused his authority by using government communication channels to promote his campaign and sowing doubts about the vote.

“This decision will end Bolsonaro’s chances of being president again, and he knows it,” said Carlos Melo, a political science professor at Insper University in Sao Paulo. “After this, he will try to stay out of jail, elect some of his allies to keep his political capital, but it is very unlikely he will ever return to the presidency.”

The case focused on a July 18, 2022, meeting where Bolsonaro used government staffers, the state television channel and the presidential palace in Brasilia to tell foreign ambassadors that the country’s electronic voting system was rigged.

“Bolsonaro abused the powers of his office by calling the meeting: check. He used government staffers and buildings with an electoral objective: check. And he mixed the country’s interests with those of his campaign: check,” said Márlon Reis, an electoral law expert who helped draft the ineligibility provisions.

Bolsonaro will be able to appeal to the Supreme Court. He also faces other legal troubles, including criminal investigations.

Speaking Thursday to reporters in Brasilia, Bolsonaro was defiant.

“This is an injustice against me, my God in heaven! Show me something concrete I have done against democracy,” he said. “Perhaps my crime was doing the right thing for four years.”

SOURCE

Previous Threads:
https://www.nairaland.com/7409391/lula-da-silva-wins-brazil#118003010

https://www.nairaland.com/7515762/brazil-congress-under-siege-ex-president#119845179

Nlfpmod Mynd44 Mukina2

1 Like

Re: Brazil Court Votes To Bar Ex-president, Bolsonaro From Elections Until 2030 by taylor89(m): 5:31pm On Jun 30, 2023
I wish court can bar Buhari from breeathing

Imagination wan wound me

1 Like

Re: Brazil Court Votes To Bar Ex-president, Bolsonaro From Elections Until 2030 by Ihateheadslamer: 5:32pm On Jun 30, 2023
The same await Tinubu at the end of his first tenure tongue

(1) (Reply)

Hollywood Actors To Strike At Midnight, Join Writers On Picket Lines / West Africa Is Just On Step Away From Total Chaos / Niger: ECOWAS Plans Fresh Sanctions On Burkina Faso, Mali, UN Talks Fail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.