Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone (40568 Views)

Amazing Engineering: World's Largest Construction And Excavations Machines(Pics) / World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Inside The World's Largest Particle Accelerator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by AImiron: 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2023
An Australian wildlife park claims to have the world’s largest – and possibly oldest – crocodile in captivity, estimated to have lived for 120 years, with plenty more time to go, according to his handlers.

"Cassius is such a magnificent, beautiful boy, and he’s obviously got a major history to tell us," Sally Isberg, managing director at the Center for Crocodile Research in Australia, said in a video interview shared with Fox News Digital.

"He’s a happy, healthy boy," she added. "He has such a personality. He gets called over to one side of the pen and is just happy to wander over… he’s an absolutely fascinating character."

Captured in 1984 near the city of Darwin and transferred to Green Island a few years later, the crocodile Cassius has lived at the Marineland Crocodile Park for over 35 years. Estimated to have lived at least 110 years, some experts have said Cassius could be as old as 120, which would push the known limits of crocodile longevity.

What makes Cassius so unusual is that he has continued to grow despite his remarkable age: During an annual checkup this year, Professor Graeme Webb determined that Cassius had grown another 13 inches since his previous visit nearly 20 years earlier, now measuring a whopping 17 feet and 11.75 inches.

"He was a big old gnarly crocodile then… crocs of that size are not normal," Webb told MIX 102.3 in Australia, saying that growing at such an advanced age "is unusual for a big croc."

Webb had determined during his first visit that Cassius was at between 30 and 80 years old, which would mean he could be at least 120, though there is no way to fully determine the croc’s age – especially given his unusual size and growth.

Marineland told Fox News Digital that the annual assessment is "very hands off" as the use of restraints can cause stress due to a heightened fight or flight response common to apex predators. That stress can induce extreme trauma that could take considerable time from which to recover.

"Generally these assessments are done through observation in person and by looking at observation records kept by the keepers," Marineland noted, citing such measures as stool and water samples for more detailed analysis.

The recent assessment for Cassius found him "fine with no immediate cause for concern, and no reason to believe Cassius will not live for years to come."

Marineland’s founder George Craig often likes to personally feed Cassius and has a "wonderful relationship" with the croc, according to Isberg.

The oldest crocodile on record was a croc known as Freshie, who made it to 140 in captivity despite being shot twice in the tail and left eye, according to Oldest. org.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/worlds-largest-croc-still-growing-stunning-age-milestone-experts

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Mrsoft3(m): 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2023
E go soon Chop the owner

130 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by endsarrrs(f): 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2023
Fat meat...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by TemplarLandry: 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2023
cool
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Onucs(m): 5:23pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mtcheeeew!

4 Likes

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Ihateheadslamer: 5:25pm On Jul 02, 2023
Good development tongue
Mrsoft3:
E go soo. Chop the owner
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Lungdick: 5:28pm On Jul 02, 2023
Na the carers i de pity

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Puss360(f): 5:36pm On Jul 02, 2023
Chai.... This one don reach 5 families to chop peppersoup for delta 😜😜

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by AImiron: 5:38pm On Jul 02, 2023
Nlfpmod frontpage
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Dikastan: 5:53pm On Jul 02, 2023
I go chop am soon

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by owolabi5: 5:56pm On Jul 02, 2023
CAR PAPERS
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by WhisperedNoise: 5:59pm On Jul 02, 2023
That croc looks scary.
It's interesting how many whites treat animals like humans. Look at them calling crocodile "happy boy". Lmao.

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Aplaudez(m): 6:08pm On Jul 02, 2023
WhisperedNoise:
That croc looks scary.
It's interesting how many whites treat animals like humans. Look at them calling crocodile "happy boy". Lmao.

Not in Naija here! The happy boy will have ended up in the pot cheesy wink

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by illicit(m): 6:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
One day hmmmm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by WhisperedNoise: 6:34pm On Jul 02, 2023
Aplaudez:

Not in Naija here! The happy boy will have ended up in the pot cheesy wink
Hehehehe
I trust my people. It won't even reach 12 years, not to talk of 120 years.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Kharol1234: 7:51pm On Jul 02, 2023
Front-page material
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Deeprooted: 12:32pm On Jul 03, 2023
grin
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by merits(m): 12:32pm On Jul 03, 2023

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by donziller(m): 12:32pm On Jul 03, 2023
Playing wit meat

2 Likes

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by id4sho(m): 12:33pm On Jul 03, 2023
Beta bush meat. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Brendaniel: 12:33pm On Jul 03, 2023
Na wa o, something is telling me that this crocodile might also enjoy the benefits of Tinubu's government through the Diaspora ronu initiative...

Anyway, the long age of this crocodile will favour me and my family...

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Blueace247(f): 12:33pm On Jul 03, 2023
Wow, I'm absolutely amazed by the news of Cassius, the world's largest crocodile, reaching a stunning age milestone! It's incredible to think that this magnificent creature is still growing even after hitting such a milestone. It's a testament to the resilience and adaptability of these fascinating reptiles.

I can't help but wonder what factors have contributed to Cassius's longevity and continuous growth. It would be interesting to learn more about the environmental conditions, diet, and habitat that have allowed this crocodile to thrive for so long.

Cassius truly represents the wonders of the animal kingdom and the mysteries that lie within it. I hope researchers and conservationists can study Cassius further to gain insights into crocodile biology and potentially apply that knowledge to the conservation of these incredible creatures.

Thank you for sharing this exciting news! It's a reminder of the diverse and awe-inspiring creatures that inhabit our planet.

I am a writer incase the need arises

https://www.nairaland.com/7750637/academic-writer-international-standard

7 Likes

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by MMWandali: 12:33pm On Jul 03, 2023
Fearful
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Nobleou(m): 12:33pm On Jul 03, 2023
One day una go hear say e chop person

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by bigdammyj: 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2023
Noted.
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2023
It would have been eaten in Nigeria before it got that big

1 Like

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by Wizardslayer: 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2023
Long life to you Cassius.

2 Likes

Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by OloYeOfEgbE: 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2023
Food for africans

Smh
Re: Cassius: World's Largest Croc Still Growing As It Hits Stunning Age Milestone by PrinceMajestic: 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2023
This one is now a deity

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Turn Your Used Inverter Batteries, Dead Car Batteries Into MONEY!! / Human Bones Found In Stomach Of Crocodile That Killed Indonesian Worker / The Snake I Saw At My Gate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.