Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,738 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation (21941 Views)

Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 14% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by nlfpmod: 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2023
Bank of America (BOA) has said Nigeria may need to hike interest rate to as much as 25 per cent to be able to tackle soaring inflation, according to its sub-Saharan Africa economist, Mr Tatonga Rusike, per Bloomberg.

The CBN, since last year, has been increasing the country’s interest rates.

At its last Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting in May 2023, the benchmark interest rate was further pushed forward by 0.5 per cent to 18.50 per cent from 18.00 per cent in March.

However, this has not slowed Nigeria’s soaring inflation which hit 22.41 per cent in May 2023 compared with 22.22 per cent in April 2023.

In its report last month, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) attributed the increase in the average prices of goods and services in the month under review to the 24.82 per cent jump in the food inflation rate.

BOA warned that despite this, inflation might quicken to 30 per cent by the end of the year after President Bola Tinubu scrapped fuel subsidies that cost about N4.3 trillion last year and unified the foreign exchange market, sending the exchange rate of the local currency against the Dollar, Pounds Sterling, and the Euro, 40 per cent higher.

“That will require a monetary policy response from the central bank — effectively, interest-rate hikes,” Mr Rusike told the publication.

The bank also warned that this might see foreign investors exercise caution before investing in the country.

“If the negative real interest rate is not reversing, then it is less likely to see foreign inflows coming into the country,” Mr Rusike said. BofA would like to see aggressive rate increases, but “it is less likely they will do such level of increases,” he said.

This should necessitate a minimum of 700 basis-point-hike or 7.0 per cent to be able to curb inflation, the economist told Bloomberg.

He also noted that the biggest risk to Nigeria’s credit rating being raised is the government becoming complacent on reforms.

At his inauguration in late May, President Tinubu had promised to do all within his power to ensure that there is a reduction in the country’s high-interest rate.

Mr Tinubu noted that his administration would work towards a single-digit lending rate to allow for more investment into the country in order to boost the performance of Africa’s largest economy.

“Monetary policy needs a thorough housecleaning. The Central Bank must work towards a unified exchange rate. This will direct funds away from arbitrage into meaningful investment in the plant, equipment, and jobs that power the real economy.

“Interest rates need to be reduced to increase investment and consumer purchasing in ways that sustain the economy at a higher level,” Mr Tinubu said.

https://businesspost.ng/economy/inflation-bank-of-america-urges-nigeria-to-hike-interest-rate-to-25/?amp=1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by TemplarLandry: 2:59pm On Jul 03, 2023
Hope Mr. Rusike knows what he's saying.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by iammo(m): 3:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
cool

Americans should focus on thier own banking crisis

High intrest rate, which will make entrepreneur drive prices of goods up

Silicon valley bank, Signature bank , just collapsed with people's deposit they are giving us useless advise

Imagine, I sell bags of rice, and my capital is borrowed from a bank at 28% intrest rate for 1,000,000 now if Banks listens to US and up it to 35% is it not my customers that I will spread the intrest on

115 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by chatinent: 3:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
Special greetings to awon “this government will favour me and my family.“

How is the family?

Ina kwana, ụtụtụ ọma o, e kaaro o! Day just break!

126 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Flets: 3:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
Even when everyone knows it’s against the interest of Nigeria, Tinubu will do it….. and this is why

The West has got the President they need to do all their bidding. They've got Tinubu by the balls .... they have all his dossier ranging from the drug activities to fake identitiy, fake education, rigged election etc. The West got their best puppet.

TINUBU HAS NO OPTION THAN DO THE BIDDING OF THE WEST. Otherwise, he loses it all.

All policies implemented by Tinubu are per IMF and world bank recommendations and aimed at further impoverishing the Nigerian people further like they do to all third world countries.

Only Nigerians can save themselves by taking their country back

86 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Flets: 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
iammo:
cool

Americans should focus on thier own banking crisis

High intrest rate, which will make entrepreneur drive prices of goods up

Silicon valley bank, Signature bank , just collapsed with people's deposit they are giving us useless advise

Imagine, I sell bags of rice, and my capital is borrowed from a bank at 28% intrest rate for 1,000,000 now if Banks listens to US and up it to 35% is it not my customers that I will spread the intrest on

Your Tinubu you spend all day and night defending here will eventually increase the interest rate. I will quote you when he does.

Una never see anything

58 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by reiddecuti: 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
Economist over to you!

The sabi economist, Oya come begin defend your pay masters!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by inoki247: 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
Lol you people are on drugs...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Meekha(m): 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
Omo, make una shift one side abeg

2 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by AngelicBeing: 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
grin
Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Gattuzo05: 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
Abeg who get time make he translates what BOA means.....

Because I can't comprehend what I'm reading as a result of garri intake

8 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by BigDawsNet: 3:09pm On Jul 03, 2023
Bank of America is right

1 Like

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by WHITELIGHTER: 3:09pm On Jul 03, 2023
Lol

Adviser Nowamagbe

2 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by exstreve: 3:09pm On Jul 03, 2023
I asked ChatGPT to explain Interest rate hike like I'm an 8 year old to some who may not understand, I do cos I trade stocks and crypto, well, here is the answer.

Well, imagine you have a piggy bank where you save your allowance money. Every once in a while, you decide to give yourself a little treat and take out some money from your piggy bank. But what if you notice that your parents start giving you more money as your allowance?

You might think, "Yay! Now I can take out more money from my piggy bank and buy even more treats!" That's kind of what a rate hike is like.

You see, when the government or a bank decides to hike, or increase, interest rates, it means they are giving more money to people. When people have more money, they tend to spend more, just like you would if you got a bigger allowance.

But why would the government or a bank do that? Well, sometimes they want people to spend more money to help businesses grow and for the economy to become stronger. When businesses grow, they can employ more people and create more jobs.

On the other hand, if the government or a bank decides to lower, or decrease, interest rates, it means they are giving people less money. In this case, people might decide to save more money instead of spending it because they aren't getting as much from their allowance. So, it's like having a smaller allowance and not being able to buy as many treats.

Rate hikes can affect many things, like how much it costs to borrow money or get a loan. When rates go up, it might become more expensive for people to borrow money, and they might not want to spend as much or take out loans to buy big things like houses or cars.

So, similar to how your allowance can affect how much you can spend on treats, rate hikes affect how much people can spend and can also influence the overall economy.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by phorget(m): 3:10pm On Jul 03, 2023
BoA want to finish us kpatakpata...🤦‍♂️

5 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by trueking: 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2023
If you don't have up to 500 naira now you can't eat to your satisfaction in a restaurant.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Guyman01: 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2023
Make una kuku invade Nigeria like you destroyed Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan and currently Ukraine with wicked advice, na so una repackaged a clueless tyrant like Buhari into a fake democrat in 2015 with media propaganda, Obama even sent his campaign manager David Axelrod to Nigeria to work with APC

23 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Jcomtrader: 3:13pm On Jul 03, 2023
They should focus on their gayy country

3 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by frog12: 3:13pm On Jul 03, 2023
s
Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Newton2024: 3:13pm On Jul 03, 2023
This is like Buhari pretending to love Igbos grin Mr Tinubu should not fall for more western traps.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 03, 2023
Everything they must put mouth cho Cho Cho while their country is disarray in many ways too.
Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by NinjaMetahuman: 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2023
Have they been able to curb their own inflation?

12 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Aposteli1(m): 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2023
I'm sure of one thing!!
Better days ahead of Nigeria in Jesus name.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by andy244: 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2023
Simple economics doesn't work in Nigeria. Nigeria is a peculiar clime. Greed is a strong economic factor in Nigeria. Any economic policy in Nigeria without checkmating the greed factor always backfires.

23 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2023
A hike in interest rates on loans is even going to equate to a swifter surge in the inflation figures.

I cannot be a businessman who takes a loan from the bank, pays over a 20percent interest on servicing that loan and the general public will then expect me to give out my goods or services at moderate or subsidised rates. No way!

I have to make a profit to be able to service my loan, keep my business afloat and equally meet my own needs. So everything eventually trickles down to more hardship for the ordinary masses.

Sometimes these economists and analysts talk like air-headed neophytes. You people should just rub honey on the balls of ordinary Nigerian men and hang us by those balls atop ants infested trees. Because the hardship is eventually going to be felt the most by Nigerian men who are tasked with supporting themselves, their wives and kids and family members.

22 Likes

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by oluwaseyi0: 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2023
this people should focus on there country, we don;t tell them how to run theirs

we just remove subsidy on both fuel and dollar, we can't increase interest rate for now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by 2mch(m): 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2023
Mr Rusike is mad. All these bankers are vultures. Always throwing out fake stats so they can come and scavenge. What indices did he use to come up with such percentage? Can his country survive at such a percentage?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by OboOlora(f): 3:17pm On Jul 03, 2023
🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by lonelydora: 3:17pm On Jul 03, 2023
US should focus on their gun control issue and stop chucking mouth in wetin no concern them.

US should know we are bette off with China and Russia. BRICS is coming

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by SIRTee15: 3:18pm On Jul 03, 2023
By the time this foreigners finish with Nigeria, people go know say "wisdom and sense isn't a choice but a must'. When u lack sense, u perish.

After pushing the president to remove subsidy, float the exchange rate.
They are now back to tell him to hike interest rate. So that when foreign investors bring in their money, their return on investment will be crazy and they will cash out on Nigeria big time.

In this world, the strong feed on the weak, the intelligence prey on the dumb.
The black race is yet to understand that this world is a concrete jungle. Nigeria's case is the worst.

Anyway, I heard Ilhordopsy and other Tinubu supporters are buying fuel for 200 naira per litre, and their nepa bill will remain the same. Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation by otunbakolawole(m): 3:21pm On Jul 03, 2023
My father came back from England in 1975 after studying there for almost 10 years. He was happy to come back and rushed back home. People of his age then all rushed back because the naira was two to $1. You could buy a new car for an amount you can’t even buy a tyre for today. So, you can see the importance of money. The brain drain was to our side (towards Nigeria). But the moment the money started getting useless — in other words, you have to work 10 times more to get the same thing, because of the fact that your money has been eroded and people say, "am working so hard, and I am only earning peanuts" — the brain drain started.

The point I am trying to make is, the first lesson of governance is the fear of inflation. And what is inflation? Inflation means that you are not managing your money supply very well. An Inflation rate as high as 25 per cent means that in four years, the money they are paying you at that time will not buy you a single loaf of bread because inflation has been taking out 25 per cent each year. An example is pensioners who may be earning static salaries. So, if you’re not getting 25 per cent increase in salaries annually, it means that in four years’ time, the money is nothing.

We need to tackle the inflation menace head on. We can't shy away from it. All these trial and error economics won't save us if we don't fasten our belts and get serious.

12 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Guide on writing for profit using iwriter. / A Sample Of Sanusi New 200 Naira Note / Risevest’s CEO, Eke Urum, Found Guilty Of Sexual Impropriety And Abuse Of Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.