Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,892 members, 7,810,427 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison (32660 Views)

Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation / Forbes 30 Under 30: Meet Omoha Nduka, 25-Years-Nigerian real Estate Billionaire / Jeff And Mackenzie Bezos Are Getting Divorced After 25 Years Of Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by nlfpmod: 9:15pm On Mar 28
NEW YORK (AP) — Crypto entrepreneur Sam Bankman-Fried was sentenced Thursday to 25 years in prison for a massive fraud on hundreds of thousands of customers that unraveled with the collapse of FTX, once one of the world’s most popular platforms for exchanging digital currency.

U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan delivered a blistering analysis of Bankman-Fried and his crimes before announcing a sentence that was half of what prosecutors sought and less than a quarter of the 105 years recommended by the court’s Probation officers.

“There is absolutely no doubt that Mr. Bankman-Fried’s name right now is pretty much mud around the world,” Kaplan said of the 32-year-old man who once seemed atop the cryptocurrency world before his businesses collapsed in November 2022, leaving customers, investors and lenders short over $11 billion, which the judge ordered him to forfeit.

He was convicted in November of fraud and conspiracy — a dramatic fall from a crest of success that included a Super Bowl advertisement and celebrity endorsements from stars like quarterback Tom Brady, basketball star Stephen Curry and comedian Larry David.

Kaplan imposed the sentence in the same Manhattan courtroom where, four months previously, Bankman-Fried testified that he had intended to revolutionize the emerging cryptocurrency market with his innovative and altruistic ideas, not steal. The judge said Bankman-Fried repeatedly committed perjury when he told lies from the witness stand.

Kaplan said the sentence reflected “that there is a risk that this man will be in position to do something very bad in the future. And it’s not a trivial risk at all.” He added that it was “for the purpose of disabling him to the extent that can appropriately be done for a significant period of time.”

Kaplan said he would advise the Federal Bureau of Prisons to send Bankman-Fried to a medium-security prison near San Francisco because his notoriety, his association with vast wealth, his autism and social awkwardness are likely to make him especially vulnerable at a high-security facility.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicolas Roos had recommended a prison sentence of 40 to 50 years, saying it was the only way to ensure “the defendant doesn’t do it again.”

The defendant victimized tens of thousands of people and companies, across several continents, over a period of multiple years. He stole money from customers who entrusted it to him; he lied to investors; he sent fabricated documents to lenders; he pumped millions of dollars in illegal donations into our political system; and he bribed foreign officials. Each of these crimes is worthy of a lengthy sentence,” prosecutors had said in a court filing.

Prosecutors said Bankman-Fried misappropriated billions of dollars to fuel his quest for influence and dominance in the new industry, and had illegally used money from FTX depositors to cover his expenses, which included purchasing luxury properties in the Caribbean, bribes to Chinese officials and private planes.

Kaplan agreed with prosecutors Thursday that Bankman-Fried should not get leniency just because some investors and customers might get some of their losses back. He noted that customers lost about $8 billion, investors lost $1.7 billion and lenders were shorted by $1.3 billion.

Given a chance to speak, Bankman-Fried stood and apologized in a rambling statement, saying: “A lot of people feel really let down. And they were very let down. And I’m sorry about that. I’m sorry about what happened at every stage.”

He added, “My useful life is probably over. It’s been over for a while now, from before my arrest.”

Bankman-Fried, wearing his khaki-colored prison uniform and chained at the ankles, seemed to briefly get emotional as he spoke for about 20 minutes, expressing regret about “a lot of mistakes” but casting some of the blame onto others. His trademark messy and bushy hair had returned from the trimmer look he displayed at trial.

The judge later criticized those remarks, saying he expressed “never a word of remorse for the commission of terrible crimes.”

Defense lawyer Marc Mukasey said his client was misunderstood.

“Sam was not a ruthless financial serial killer who set out every morning to hurt people,” Mukasey said. “Sam Bankman-Fried doesn’t make decisions with malice in his heart. He makes decisions with math in his head.”

https://apnews.com/article/sam-bankman-fried-ftx-cryptocurrency-sentencing-sbf-d7bb1a5e94b4c22039d74dfeab1a2ff1

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by immortalcrown(m): 9:16pm On Mar 28
Gagantuan gaga!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Namaster: 9:18pm On Mar 28
Financial instruments and investments are so complicated that it's relatively easy to scam the uninitiated.

But the entire crypto industry makes it LAUGHABLY easy to scam a shiiiit ton of people at once.

It's complicated and messy with EXTREMELY lax regulations. Plus, the promise of wild returns drive an ENDLESS stream of people into the industry.

It's great to see this one get some nice jail time.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by 99thEnemy(m): 9:18pm On Mar 28
grin
Just be a good boy so that you can avoid nutraloaf most of the time. grin

25 years will just be like a breeze grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Mitsurugi(m): 9:18pm On Mar 28
King Sam the Bankman has been Fried 😂😂😂

54 Likes

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by sirjoggy(m): 9:18pm On Mar 28
Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by ChizzyBuna(m): 9:18pm On Mar 28
I remember seeing this guy's advert on Super Bowl with Steph Curry and Tom Brady
Seeing that advert will make anyone think FTX is legit.

That is why I can NEVER take advertisments endorsed by Celebrities serious...
Be it crypto or Real estate or any product

Celebrities do advert for highest bidder
I fit pay tiwa 12 million to advertise my fake zobo drink
Whether the zobo na real or fake
That one no concern celebrities
Na to collect money and do advert

I really pity people that listen and follow celebrities like mumu.

123 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by aieromon(m): 9:18pm On Mar 28
Agba scammer.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Pootle: 9:19pm On Mar 28
blord next grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by DesChyko: 9:19pm On Mar 28
Not for the faint-hearted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by emkz: 9:19pm On Mar 28
Great.

In all the Binance and crypto wahala in Nigeria, I have learnt one important lesson.

If Nigeria ever goes to war, some Nigerians will never support Nigeria. They'd rather support foreigners and jubilate if Nigeria collapses.

Imagine the attack on the presidency and CBN when CBN went after Binance.

Imagine the attack on Nigeria when the Binance executive escaped.

We must always unite in defense of our country.

Check the American media whether anyone would support Sam Bankman-Fried. You won't find any. But Nigeria?

Why are we always our own enemies?

145 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by longview007: 9:19pm On Mar 28
Stages of life ...

1 Like

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by adexbols: 9:19pm On Mar 28
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Tolumiide: 9:19pm On Mar 28
From top to bottom

3 Likes

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by inoki247: 9:19pm On Mar 28
Lol na God say I no put my money for that FTX...

Naso person go swallow my money come go 25yrs will the 25yrs jail term pay me...

13 Likes

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by NeoWanZaeed(m): 9:19pm On Mar 28
Legit Scam

All this crypto and Forex and all

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by dante0147: 9:19pm On Mar 28
He should have run to Nigeria brine the courts and security officials I don’t think he would ever be caught!

3 Likes

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Equal2DeTask(m): 9:20pm On Mar 28
wink
Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Beazysledge: 9:20pm On Mar 28
Pootle:
blord next grin
ode

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by UpTown001(m): 9:20pm On Mar 28
The end of time
Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Tjra: 9:20pm On Mar 28
Good one.

For say na here, enemies of Nigeria for support this scammer against the government.

Binance comes to mind,

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Mdaz(m): 9:20pm On Mar 28
bad
Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Heffalump(m): 9:20pm On Mar 28
It's like this Crypto is actually an advanced fraud in modern time undecided

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Think9ja(m): 9:21pm On Mar 28
Anybody weh fall mugu, chop am

1 Like

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by sukkot: 9:21pm On Mar 28
Hmmm that whole crypto thing is a scam

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by DenreleDave(m): 9:22pm On Mar 28
This guy is fvcking rich.. Why engage in illegal activities again that will make your customers lose trust in you...

Guys, pls I want to download the latest reigning song but I don't know the search keyword.. I think it's a south African or other African country language sha...

They are using it for dancing challenge recently

2 Likes

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Tpave(m): 9:22pm On Mar 28
Na them
Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by AngelicBeing: 9:22pm On Mar 28
angry
Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by kokakola: 9:22pm On Mar 28
Sane climes where law works are doing the right things.
Here, Politics is damaging everything good.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by INTEGRITYA1(m): 9:23pm On Mar 28
It seems Crypto have scamming undertones.

Or waitin dey xup

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by shadrach77: 9:23pm On Mar 28
W
Re: Crypto King, Sam Bankman-Fried Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison by Real2088: 9:23pm On Mar 28
Tolumiide:
From top to bottom
Who tell you say he go dey bottom for that prison? Dey play grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Can He Do With His 350k Contribution? / Punter Backed Germany To Beat Brazil 7-1, Wins $46,000 [pix] / Cost Of Starting A Standard Car Wash Business In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.