Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! (10363 Views)

First Bank To Sack 1000 Workers / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Mtn Sack Workers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 07, 2011
which money 29600
divide that by 31
u get 900 naira
subtract transport 400
subtract feeding 300
then what we will miss is 200 naira
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by omosexy1: 12:46pm On Oct 07, 2011
It is important to note that the activities of these disgruntled Agents are capable of frustrating investors with good intentions and make nonsense of the Federal Government’s drive for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).

We are committed to growing the BPO industry in Nigeria and by so doing we will give meaning to the quest by the Federal Government of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to create jobs as part of his master plan to re-engineer the Nigerian economy.

See comment very arrogant fools
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by walcolm(m): 12:49pm On Oct 07, 2011
ikhideman:

I don't know why some people are so sentimental, just like the NLC! Facts are there, you are employed on contract for a 2-year period, contract has expired, they don't want to renew, that's their right! Even if they want to employ Monkeys on a fresh contract, its within their rights!

I was offered employment by this same CCSNL as a Customer Service Staff on contract in 2009; I didn't take the offer(thank God) after hearing the terms of the contract - even when they said its renewable. I've been working at my current place for the past 3 years now(its a full-time employment), hence when I heard the terms, I immediately declined the offer, because I was working full-time already - 8:30am-5pm.

It seems those who are crying foul don't understand what it means to work on a contract basis & seem not to understand that they weren't employed by Zain, but by consultants who were responsible for their salaries based on the contract with Zain that had end date - September 30, 2011!

For those affected, the truth is you all should have been preparing for the contract end date & looking for alternative employment/starting your own business elsewhere. Since it has come to this, you should believe God for new jobs/ideas for profitable businesses! Cheers

its ok to not be sentimental, if the contract had an expiry and the two companies decide to not renew, they have a right to do so, that said,

if you got the message that was going round, new terms were offered which is much less than the current terms and the two companies are planning to bring in indians to fill slots that will be left by nigerians who cannot take on the new terms, that is where i have a problem

the cost of bringing in indians can never be less than the cost of maintaining the contract at current terms and allowing that type of situation erodes our sovereignity, if the two companies believe they can provide the service cheaper in india, they can move the call center to india and provide the service from there
but to establish a call center in nigeria and fill it up with indians is not cool if that claim is correct
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2011
omosexy1:

It is important to note that the activities of these disgruntled Agents are capable of frustrating investors with good intentions and make nonsense of the Federal Government’s drive for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).

We are committed to growing the BPO industry in Nigeria and by so doing we will give meaning to the quest by the Federal Government of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to create jobs as part of his master plan to re-engineer the Nigerian economy.

See comment very arrogant fools

Prior to the expiration of the contracts, we had engaged representatives of the Agents and that of the organized Labour on how to manage their transition to our roll. Due to a lack of consensus on the way forward and an apparent threat to our facilities by some of the agents, we were compelled to suspend operations at the call centres last Friday, September 30, 2011.

Going forward, our plan is to recruit new agents and a[b]lso offer some of the affected agents a new contract with attendant salaries and benefits based on their qualifications and experience. Our vision is to expand the Call Centre business in Nigeria to 5000 capacity, ultimately.[/b]

On the issue of salaries, we state categorically that as world class organizations, we offer our employees remuneration and benefits comparable to standards across the world and in compliance with the working and labour laws of Nigeria.   

at the end of all this ranting, some of those contracts will be renewed and more agents will be hired meanwhile some people has been wasting their time ranting and attacking what they know nothing about.  cheesy cheesy They are so quick to attack INDIANS while the conditions of workers at DANGOTE factories here in Nigeria is worse than that of slaves. how ironic. una never understand wetin dey.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Edzy: 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2011
when  Airtel tookover,spanco/techmehindra was to take over the Management of the call center,they were ready to absorb this workers from HRIndexx/CCSNL/Bazaleel,but unfortunately they were willing to absorb but under a harsh condition of service(which was made known just days to 30th september) that is worst than what this guys were enjoying zain day's.The contarct staffs are willing to work but not on 30k salary.
This indians promised to absorbed them when they tookover,and promised their will no be increase in salary untill they have achieved stability but days to the expiration of the contract with HRIdexx/CCSNL/Bazaleel they cameup with other isue's that were never part of thier plan when they came in.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by kpolli(m): 1:30pm On Oct 07, 2011
And their specification is that a former contract staff that used to collect 75K should now collect 30k. . . . Poster, pointed noted but those Indians should be deported back to their country
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by MurderX: 1:37pm On Oct 07, 2011
[size=18pt]F,UCK AIRTEL - F,UCK any bitchy bastard supporting this lame ruse, F,CUK ALL O' YA.[/size] for whatever shit, asshole, penis and toto reason they lay off 2000 bread winners = [size=18pt]Thunder fire AIRTEL MAMA PRICK, NA YANSH SHE GO TAKE dey f,uck im PAPA. [/size]
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by tiwola: 1:41pm On Oct 07, 2011
See the problem with most people is that when they're employed by some of these call center companies (or BPOs as they're referred to here), they start claiming to friends and family that it's the telecoms company that employed them.

And pressmen should check their bloody facts. Someone could/should sue for libel.

Abi wetin dem dey learn for school of journalism sef?
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by tiwola: 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2011
As for the Indians offering 30k to retain workers, I believe I can't really blame them.
After all, PhD holders in their country drive taxis.

It's the Federal Government I'll blame. They created an industry and allowed foreign concerns to profit from it.

A proper structure would have been a situation where anybody local or foreign can own a telecomms outfit, oil exploration company etc; but to make sure that some of that money stays in the country, ALL supporting companies (call center, facilities management etc) would be 100% dominated by Nigerians.

Lastly, I can't say I pity anyone who thought they would retire on call-center work. The pay isn't supposed to make you comfortable, it's supposed to push you to aim your sights higher.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by otokx(m): 1:51pm On Oct 07, 2011
^^^^ That is how people go about posing that they are AGIP contract staff, SHELL contract staff and the rest. They end up borrowing money from bank to live a large life like the direct staff of such companies who earn more - deceiving themselves and those who do not check to see properly.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Brainchap: 3:00pm On Oct 07, 2011
switch47:

"This story is totally incorrect, factually and otherwise.
Airtel, in the first place, doesn’t have as many staff in Nigeria. Secondly, Airtel did not sack a single member of staff. The purported staff, who are claiming that they were sacked, are Call Centre Agents, who are employees of two Agencies, who provide Agents for two partners, Tech Mahindra and Spanco-who provide Airtel Call Centre Services.
Contrary to the report here, which sadly was unchecked/unverified was that the Agents, about 1545 of them were out of contract by Friday, Spetember 2011. Tech Mahindra and Spanco have indicated in a joint statement that they would like to hire agents directly on their roll, which will include new Agents and some of the old Agents, who meet their specifications.
So, Airtel did not sack any Agents as they were not Airtel’s employees and Airtel does NOT run Call Centres.
I have also attached the joint statement by Tech Mahindra and Spanco here:Airtel Nigeria
http://www.naijahood.com/2011/10/did-airtel-sack-3000-customer-care.html

I really sympathise with this person. He's actually a stooge in Airtel. in your comments, "Tech Mahindra and Spanco have indicated in a joint statement that they would like to hire agents directly on their roll, which will include new Agents and some of the old Agents, who meet their specifications".   [/b]Did you try to find out from your masters (Airtel) what they proposed paying, if the old staff eventually applies? What is not right is not right. The so called affected people wouldn't have said anything like 30K if it wasn't proposed. Even if they intend recruiting new agents, the intention is to pay 29,600naira or 30K for short which is ridiculous. Don't forget, even if Airtel is not directly involve in the core centre agent work, it is still their responsibilities to see to their welfare. Is it not what Airtel pays the agencies, that they in turn pay their staff? If the agencies are being paid well, what stops Airtel from asking the agencies why they have to short-change their workers? I think with the [b]class this kind of people are making us believe Airtel has, they should be interested in the welfare of even their sub-sub workforce. What i'm trying to say in essence is, Airtel company, if they are indeed reputable should take a step to look into what kind of contract their agencies are offering the people noting that, there's no smoke without fire and also, since the agencies are willing to recruit more, why not renew their contract instead of using text messages to inform the affected staff that their services are no more required.Probably, the initial staff strike warranted all these victimisation.
They need to also dig deep on the conditions the affected staff were subjected to such as: Long working hours,days, reduced off days, no health insurance. They need to ask themselves, those former companies that were previously in charge (V-mobile, Zain,etc), does it mean they lack understanding of what goes on in the customer care unit by privileging them (Customer care agent) by shorter working hours(i think 6hours), 5 straight working days and 3 off-days to recuperate. If someone think 3 off days to recuperate is much, let him/her try talking for straight 5days/6hourly to some peculiar subscribers. The former companies even allow for health allowance. Haba, Airtel, this is Nigeria and not india. Do look into the welfare of even your sub-sub work force. I'm sure, even if you have it mind to do same to your real staff, this resistance will tell you otherwise. Switch47, please stop being a stooge. What is happening will soon affect you or your relatives. What goes around, comes around. Thank you
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Brainchap: 3:16pm On Oct 07, 2011
Edzy:

when  Airtel tookover,spanco/techmehindra was to take over the Management of the call center,they were ready to absorb this workers from HRIndexx/CCSNL/Bazaleel,but unfortunately they were willing to absorb but under a harsh condition of service(which was made known just days to 30th september) that is worst than what this guys were enjoying zain day's.The contarct staffs are willing to work but not on 30k salary.
This indians promised to absorbed them when they tookover,and promised their will no be increase in salary untill they have achieved stability but days to the expiration of the contract with HRIdexx/CCSNL/Bazaleel they cameup with other isue's that were never part of thier plan when they came in.
I tot as much. Why would someone just flare up without something going on.
tiwola:

As for the Indians offering 30k to retain workers, I believe I can't really blame them.
After all, PhD holders in their country drive taxis.

It's the Federal Government I'll blame. They created an industry and allowed foreign concerns to profit from it.

A proper structure would have been a situation where anybody local or foreign can own a telecomms outfit, oil exploration company etc; but to make sure that some of that money stays in the country, ALL supporting companies (call center, facilities management etc) would be 100% dominated by Nigerians.

Lastly, I can't say I pity anyone who thought they would retire on call-center work. The pay isn't supposed to make you comfortable, it's supposed to push you to aim your sights higher.
Supported. Thiose people talking about driving foreign investors away, let them go. Many, many others will rush in. Is it not Naija, my dear country. We don't need investors with evil mind/policies. By the way, it will bring more challenges/opportunities to us citizens to spring more good companies like Glo
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by daphil: 4:06pm On Oct 07, 2011
For those of you commenting in favour of airtel and her agents (slave masters), have you thought about it, irrespective of where you are working at present, if you find yourself in the same situation tomorrow. Would you welcome the rubbish sprouting out of you now? E fi be you o! Remember that no condition is permanent. It is their turn today, tomorrow it may be yours too. grin grin grin
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 4:26pm On Oct 07, 2011
@ Brainchap
Before you jump into conclusions go and read the article in full at
http://www.naijahood.com/2011/10/did-airtel-sack-3000-customer-care.html and conclude if the blog author offered a final statement on the matter on who is right or wrong.

@ daphil
If i find myself in that position , i will know that a two year contract is determined at the expiration of two years may not continue though it is renewable, chances are terms may change , and you can not force a willing worker on an unwilling employer. it is pure logic, if you are aggrieved . GO TO COURT if the contract was breached.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by daphil: 4:52pm On Oct 07, 2011
undecided
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by daphil: 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2011
@ Moderator, please stop deleting my post. It makes no.sen.se at all.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 5:12pm On Oct 07, 2011
daphil:

@ Moderator, please stop deleting my post. It makes no.sen.se at all.
then Obey the Forum rules. make sure your post conforms with the rules. be courteous to other users, be nice okay? cheesy cheesy no be fight!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by daphil: 5:18pm On Oct 07, 2011
@ Switch47, yoruba adage says 'pasan ti a fi na iyale, o nbe laja fun iyawo'. It will soon be your turn. My heart goes to those affected.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by daphil: 5:22pm On Oct 07, 2011
grin OMG! @ Switch47, so you were behind all these frustrations! God go soon catch u o.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 5:38pm On Oct 07, 2011
daphil:

@ Switch47, yoruba adage says 'pasan ti a fi na iyale, o nbe laja fun iyawo'. It will soon be your turn. My heart goes to those affected.
daphil:

grin OMG! @ Switch47, so you were behind all these frustrations! God go soon catch u o.
grin grin leave story ! leave Yoruba adage, if na by adage Yoruba would have been Nigeria's official language by now. face issues but isu (yam) na by marry wife beat am with cane? asipa owe 9misdirected proverb) grin i am not rejoicing over the temporary loss of job by those human beings , i blame their representatives for not being diplomatic/tactical with their employers but confrontational and threatening to sabotage the company
you only do that when your contract of employment is deep rooted and not when your name is written in pencil from day one, your right ends when your contract expires, the representatives of the workers went confrontational rather than go cap in hand, did they not know they are bread winners when they threatened to burn down airtel?
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by omotonice: 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2011
u have all spoken well.but d truth must be said,wht d outsourcing companies did was sinister and despicable.There must be standard irrespective of the terms of contract.Airtel has failed in its social responsibilities and it is time we rose to fight this exploitation and mordern servitude.I think these indians are taking advantage of the corrupt and greedy society we live in.Being a sub contractor to a company doesnt make one a slave.lets not be selfish.fine, they are aware of the terms and conditions of the contract but that doesnt mean they shud work under stringent conditions.our govt have been very insensitive to our plights and employers are taking advantage of the ineffective labour laws and mass unemployement in the land knowing fully well that we dont have alternatives.let us all respond to this clarion call and fight this injustice so that it will deter other capitalists who might be nursing such ambition.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by edicolove: 6:14pm On Oct 07, 2011
Nigerians are very illogical people. In as much as it pains me to hear about the loss of jobs, the fact is there is no sentiments in business. Everyone critisizing Airtel here cannot truly tell me they would do something different in this kind of situation. In business, you will always make decisions that will benefit your business not sentimental decisions. If I have a big business, I will never allow any of you critics here to handle it because that will mean that the business will crash.

My brother just got a job with MTN as customer service personell and he is paid 30k with a promise to increase his salary to 60k agter 3 months. I didnt hear anyone critisizing MTN for that. The truth is, we glorify certain jobs and expect to be paid more money than we actually deserve in Naija. Have you ever conducted a job interview in Naija? You will laugh till u roll on the floor. They usually come with 15 pages of cv that says they have done evry kind of project from marine engioneering to baking cakes and writing software. Then if you ask them what they want to receive, they will say 300k. When you mistakenly employ them, they will start to do their own private jobs above the companies stuff. They are very lazy and unproductive. I have said that the solution to Nigerias problems is to pay everyone per hour. If they start to pay per hour, productivity levels will suddenly go thru the roof. Insincerity is now a normal character in Naija and it is sad.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by daphil: 7:15pm On Oct 07, 2011
@edicolove, your comment above did not portrayed you as a nigerian but if you are, you are absolutely ir.ra.tion.al.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by otokx(m): 8:04pm On Oct 07, 2011
God bless edicolove for saying the gospel truth. Nothing comes easy, that is how they killed NITEL. Our attitude to work as a nation is oh so poor.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 07, 2011
I was going to pass this topic by but am Thanking God I did not because if I did I wouldn't have know how self centered and unreasonable some people can be, I don't want to care about whatever contract Airtel or the former company had with the workers, what I care about is the present situation here. For Edicolove, you've spoken well but let me ask you a question, did you bother to make any research if Zain made profit even after paying the CONTRACT CALL CENTRE STAFF staff 75k? If you did not, the answer to that question is that they made profit and good profit at that, now lets look at this from human's point of view, would you say Airtel customers have reduced because the company changed its name from Zain? No is the answer, in that case Airtel would also make money meaning what they are trying to do is not make profit, they are only trying to take advantage these workers. Edicolove, I want you to check those working as call centre agent, they are doing it not because they are happy with it nor are they doing it because they are not qualified for a better job, they are simply doing it because they had to option (FRUSTRATION), and if you are now trying to even make them accept less that 50% of what they were earning because you want to make profit then I would tell you to go to hell because you are not even going to help. I understand very well that our minimum wage is less than 20k but did you bother to check those found in that class, definitely not a graduate. If you are a graduate and you are working for the govt, I am not so certain but you won't earn less  than 80k. That cleared.
@switch47 (m), how much did AIrtel pay you for this, because I don't think you would do this FOC, wat I want to tell you is that no matter they amount you are paid its not worth it, what you should have done is put yourself in these workers shoes and tell me how you'd feel. Truly Airtel might get new Nigerians to work as their call centre agent, but these set of people are doing it not because they want to but just for them not to stay at home with when they can actually get stipend. Wetin I even dey talk sef, these people would work for not less than 8hrs for 6days, meaning they won't even have time to search for other job(s). Your father !!!!switch47 (m) because I don't know what you are trying to say here, what I can see here is a company trying to enslave Nigerians even in our own country. I'm saying too much. get the bleep off and apply for the job yourself if you so much love Airtel.
On a final, what would a person who has a child make out of 30k, don't forget rent, and other expenses? Are we not working so that we can have a good life? Abegi
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by sholatech(m): 10:28pm On Oct 07, 2011
The truth is very bitter, Apparently they dont know that MTN also outsourced their call centre operations to cnssl and all the agents are paid less than 40,000 naira a month. and they are not less than 5,000 of those agents nationwide!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by pkv(m): 12:01am On Oct 08, 2011
?!dont know who or wat 2 bliv any longer!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 1:50am On Oct 08, 2011
daphil:

@edicolove, your comment above did not portrayed you as a nigerian but if you are, you are absolutely ir.ra.tion.al.
You guys keep referring to indians as the slave drivers and the enemy. Have you been to [b]DANGOTE [/b]factories/organizations? Your own Aboki country man treats workers like animals worse than slaves in there, charity begins at home. cheesy you guys should face that issue rather than shoot sporadically like Armed robbers here with your rantings here without aiming here at things you know little about.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Oluchia(f): 4:40am On Oct 08, 2011
sholatech:

The truth is very bitter, Apparently they dont know that MTN also outsourced their call centre operations to cnssl and all the agents are paid less than 40,000 naira a month. and they are not less than 5,000 of those agents nationwide!

This is not true. As at 2008 when i worked wth Mtn as a call center agent on contract, the salary was 50k. Over d years its bn reviewd and  is now 90k. I still av friends who work there so i know.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Oluchia(f): 5:12am On Oct 08, 2011
Besides MTN has a medical scheme 4 their contract staff, they av off days and as at 2008, they were entitled to 12 days annual leave. Dont know if that has bn increasd now. Like someone rightly pointed out, in as much as Airtel are not their direct employers, they should be involved and concernd wth their welfare. Because whether they like it or not, they work for Airtel. It is Airtel that they represent to the customers. If a call center agent attends well to a customer, the credit goes to Airtel. If he's rude to a customer, it is Airtel that will suffer d negative image and publicity. So when it comes to customer rep job, a company cannot afford to be indifferent to the welfare of the staff.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by kayswag100(m): 9:45am On Oct 08, 2011
@all airtel apologists,
guess what? After a comprehensive analysis of d whole saga in a meeting held yesterday night between airtel ceo and core staff and NLC/NUPTE, airtel has finally agreed to OUR terms. We wld be going back 2 wrk on d 13th on same salary! Immediate negotiation of terms of new contract have begun.
Now tell me: why wld airtel rescind its decision to sack over 2000 of us?
Mscheeeeew!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Am In A State Of Confusion. Help With Your Advice. / What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position / NDLEA and FRSC Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.