Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! (10364 Views)

First Bank To Sack 1000 Workers / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Mtn Sack Workers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 10:19am On Oct 08, 2011
kayswag100:

@all airtel apologists,
guess what? After a comprehensive analysis of d whole saga in a meeting held yesterday night between airtel ceo and core staff and NLC/NUPTE, airtel has finally agreed to OUR terms. We wld be going back 2 wrk on d 13th on same salary! Immediate negotiation of terms of new contract have begun.
Now tell me: why wld airtel rescind its decision to sack over 2000 of us?
Mscheeeeew!!!!!

grin grin Bros you can lie o. was is a meeting between Airtel and NLC or between the company that refused to renew the contract and NLC. Airtel did not sack the workers. get your facts right.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Gbenge77(m): 12:59pm On Oct 08, 2011
What about these conflicting reports we are getting?who are we supposed to believe?
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Edzy: 2:17pm On Oct 08, 2011
this report is confirmed,the workers are going back after meeting between all stakeholder's( including airtel top management,) while negotiation will continue to arrived at a lasting solution.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2011
Going forward, our plan is to recruit new agents and also offer some of the affected agents a new contract with attendant salaries and benefits based on their qualifications and experience. Our vision is to expand the Call Centre business in Nigeria to 5000 capacity, ultimately.

On the issue of salaries, we state categorically that as world class organizations, we offer our employees remuneration and benefits comparable to standards across the world and in compliance with the working and labour laws of Nigeria.

We, therefore, appeal to all Nigerians, especially Airtel customers, to bear with us as we seek to expeditiously resolve the issues and re-open the call centres in the coming days. Indeed, we have also taken appropriate measures to ensure that our client’s customers experience minimal inconvenience during this brief period.

It is important to note that the activities of these disgruntled Agents are capable of frustrating investors with good intentions and make nonsense of the Federal Government’s drive for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).

We are committed to growing the BPO industry in Nigeria and by so doing we will give meaning to the quest by the Federal Government of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to create jobs as part of his master plan to re-engineer the Nigerian economy.

Signed:

K SANKARALINGAM
CEO – SPANCO, AFRICA
SPANCO CHANNEL BPO LIMITED
SUJIT BAKSI

http://www.naijahood.com/2011/10/did-airtel-sack-3000-customer-care.html

This is nothing new. the company had this plans from the start. and i[b]t is not Airtel it is SPANCO BPO LIMITED[/b]
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by iyaegin: 3:48pm On Oct 08, 2011
@Switch 47 i think its about time you are switched off from this discussion just unfortunate that you started it in the first place. you definitely must be on Spanco's payroll or something maybe you are half nigerian half Indian or just some brainwashed Nigerian.

Yes Accepted the agents in question technically are not Airtel staff any longer since Spanco and tech whatever took over since airtel came on board and outsourced evrything in the God forsaken company.

Now the issue is that we have some agents who have actually been working in that same call centre since the days of Econet and Vmobile all along now i ask you this do you thinkits fair that someone like that who has been with the organisation that long and is managing the 75k salary jejely not complaining too mxch about it  and then the blipping Indians come along and see their lifestyle as been more enjoyable than theirs so they decide to reduce salaries to 29k or 30k; did they try to go around to do a survey of other call centres i.e MTN , Glo , visafone, etisalat before coming with their silly ambiguous salary proposal besides they have taken away the health scheme, increased work hours and reduced leave days all simply because they want to standardize the call centre.

Well standardize the call centre using call centres in Nigeria as a yard stick and not India where rotten stories emanate daily on the mindset of the average working class indian because left to them their peanuts would take them home sure why not? they probably have a good transportation system, there is Electricity 24/7, they don't have to bother about the next meal and all that yet they are making a fuss of 75k; please is that too much for salary of a graduate.

I think you are simply being judgemental or you are just a spoiler sent by airtel/spanco to dissuade peoples minds. yes they are contract staff who were FORCED to resign and take up contracts but am sure most of them still devoted their all to their JOB regardless of the contract status and you just want to throw them into the JOB market not done easily bro.

In the case of the bank workers people complained but the banks themselves were already in a sorry state and the salaries was a major weight in this case Airtel is still doing very fine they just want to make slave workers while they take all the money back to India.

in conclusion feelers are that the agents are to resume work same salary and all, so you see easier retained than to sack.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Rotwale: 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2011
Its so sad that some people disgracefully come to the public place armed with deceitful ''facts'' to dissuade the minds of others.
for sholatech , your conclusions were from the most uninformed point of view.
For switch47 and co, you made some facts about outsourcing but you repeatedly failed to see what airtel has done wrong. All I see in your argument is mere side-taking. For ur information, responsible companies are proactive to the effects of the actions and inactions of outsourcing arrangements on their operations. Airtel shd have engaged spanco and co before the story got messy. Although the contract employees are not working for Airtel, mind you, they work with Airtel. So their actions affect airtel's operations.

Customer dissatisfaction is one of the greatest risk with Telco companies due to the resultant effect of churn. Responsible telcos dont fold their arms on issues like this, especially because it affect their bottomline.

I have worked with a multinational that almost found itself in similar situation. The management of the company simply explored one of the relief clauses in the contractual agreements and the issue was laid to rest. It never got out of the walls of the company.

It is only a fool that goes to sleep, when the roof of his house is on fire.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by tplamp26: 10:34pm On Oct 08, 2011
switch pls save ur time and stop misinforming people ok.let airtel /spanco/tech come and speak for them self ok.habi h/r saba and head opara are on leave.let sandep with deepka come forward for spanco.leave issues.we won the battle they hv lost.

we must and will collect full oct salary and our delay bonus.why are u drinking pando for another man headace.ki lo de.pls ask mr switch why are they same agent resuming back by oct 13th.why why.pls stop misinforming d pubilc ok.i am agent.i challenge u let everyone know who u are.do not be coded under switch name .
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by tplamp26: 10:49pm On Oct 08, 2011
let face other issues.agent hv won the battle.work resume 13th oct with 75k full month salay with our delay bonus.agent hv made a statment.never ever joke with us ok.switch pls tell us master that we dey kempe.spanco and tech must leave nigeria b4 year end.airtel must employ all is workforce directly and with all benefits that is labour directive and they must and will obey.they do not hv a choice.airtel can afford to leave nigeria.it is the biggest mkt outside india.switch pls leave story ok.no drink panadol for another man headace.make them talk for themselves.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by minimynimo(m): 5:58pm On Oct 09, 2011
The crux of the matter is quite simple. The like of Switch, whoever he is is a pathetic person.

Contract renewal or not, the new terms are ridiculous. That is the bottomline. And YES the new terms is enslavement. No way under the skies any current person working for years under a different work condition would accept those terms. It is stupid. And because the Indian insist on it one of two things will happen:
1. They fire ALL the current 'workers' and they go quietly, or
2. They attempt to drop them, and they burn the blipping place down.

At the end of the day if this Spanco does not shift ground reasonably (which they dont seem to be doing), the pple will be jobless quietly or cause significant nightmare for them.

Its a public relations nightmare.

MY POSITION: these Indians should know that this is NOT Uganda or Ethiopia. We are NIGERIANS!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 8:07am On Oct 10, 2011
@ Iya egin
The issue was very simple , the headline screaming at us last week was "Airtel sacks 3000 workers" the question i raised was Dis Airtel actually sack 3000 workers? the answer was found to be NO !! Airtel did not take that decision, "SPANCO " did . period !! every other issues raised was secondary as to justification for the situation on ground , most people here do not know what really transpired but are always the first to scream CRUCIFY Airtel !! Airtel did not sack those workers Period !!
@ Tp lamps26
Mr call agent with funny nairaland ID with just 3 posts. everything i said was correct information It was not Airtel who sacked the workers!!

@ minimynimo
must everything be explained like you are in pre- school for you to get the point of the thread? yeah yeah Indians this, Indians that , i repeat No Indian has ever treated Nigerians as bad as they do at DANGOTE [/b]factories and you guys keep mute on that chasing shadows where there is no problem. SPANCO said they will resolve the problem and that they have done, by the way [b]AIRTEL DID NOT SACK 3000 WORKERS AS REPORTED !! as can be seen in http://www.naijahood.com/2011/10/did-airtel-sack-3000-customer-care.html case closed
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by tplamp26: 8:38pm On Oct 10, 2011
spanco /airtel/tech na the same thing be all of them.leave dangote factory.they will carry the cross themselves.we are carrying our own.we won and they lost.pure and simple.they will never ever joke with us again.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Ezigbom(f): 10:17pm On Oct 10, 2011
PLEASE DO ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TSHABRON LTD, THEY INVITED ME FOR AN APTITUDE TEST IN OWERRI ON SATURDAY,
DO ANYONE ALSO HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT THE FORMAT OF MTN CONNECT APTITUDE TEST AND THE KIND OF QUESTION THEY ASK
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by azelin: 11:51pm On Oct 10, 2011
I would not have said anything but for the gross ignorance I have seen being displayed by sponsored agents of airtel.Moreso, I chose 2 reply cos of d near illiteracy of d individual who mentioned minimum wage, So do u think if AIRTEL is manadated 2 pay d minimum wage, it can afford d staff in there.4 Ur information, 18,000 is d acceptable minimum wage but u multiply dat figure by the level of of d individual. These agents are graduates and if u insist dat airtel has done a favour by paying well above 18,000 den u have displayed an obvious GROSS IGNORANCE cos 74,500 naira which is currently d salary is still less dan d minimum wage. Well for all those who have supported Airtel, this is my prayer, MAY U AND YOUR FAMILY EXPERIENCE WAT DEY HAVE DONE 2 GRADUATES AND MAY UR PLEAS NEVER BE HEARD.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 7:22am On Oct 11, 2011
azelin:

I would not have said anything but for the [b]gross ignorance [/b]I have seen being displayed by sponsored agents of airtel.Moreso, I chose 2 reply cos of d near illiteracy of d individual who mentioned minimum wage, So do u think if AIRTEL is manadated 2 pay d minimum wage, it can afford d staff in there.4 your information, 18,000 is d acceptable minimum wage but[b] u multiply dat figure by the level of of d individual. [/b]These agents are graduates and if u insist dat airtel has done a favour by paying well above 18,000 den u have displayed an obvious GROSS IGNORANCE cos 74,500 naira which is currently d salary is still less dan d minimum wage. Well for all those who have supported Airtel, this is my prayer, MAY U AND YOUR FAMILY EXPERIENCE WAT DEY HAVE DONE 2 GRADUATES AND MAY your PLEAS NEVER BE HEARD.
Well, you are really taking this 'calmly' are you? grin LOL gross ignorance on their part, really? well let me educate you a bit about the minimum wage laws signed into law- well this is meant to educate you - the minimum wage does not mandate employee of higher cadre to have their salaries multiplied by same % of the increase from the former minimum wage. it only prescribes that the persons earning lowest in the establishment should not earn less than 18,500. the employer may then add a small amount of money he deems fit as the level increases. that is the perfect interpretation of the law.
Back to the Airtel issue , the fact remains that AIRTEL did not sack 3000 workers as reported, it was SPANCO who did not renew the contracts of of the call centre agents they had control over, and that has been resolved.

@ t p lamp26 OH ! so it is okay for Dangote a Nigerian to treat Nigerians like slaves because he is Nigerian . hehehehheh LOL. is it not interesting that the indian company has resolved its issues while Nigerians are still enslaving themselves?? mindless escapism at its best !!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by rhymz(m): 10:52am On Oct 12, 2011
Switch47
I want to believe that you are probably a student that is yet to work and understand certain labour issues. You are more interested in who actually initiated the sack and not the ridiculous conditions that laid the grounds for the sack and the subsequent protest.
I care less about convenient business terms used these days especially when company execs and greedy top management staff are desperate to reduce cost and increase profits(which results to them being paid obscene salaries) regardless of whether it will negetively affect people's lives. Let's get one thing straight, whether these staff were employed by Aritel appointed core centre agents directly or indirectly, one thing is certain, these people work for Airtel and not Spanco or whatever the name is, so airtel can not claim to be isolated from issues that affect these staff. Afterall, the monies being paid to them as salaries are from Airtel to Spanco because these staff work for Airtel but were employed by Spanco, simple.
While FDI is very important, staff welfare is even more important, it makes no sense to force people who had hitherto enjoyed moderate salary scales and benefits to adjust to collecting less than half of their former salaries, withdraw their other benefits, all in the backdrop of a reported whooping profit made by the company they work for. This is pure slavery, what exactly informed their decision? Low profit or low productivity? Both of which are not the casr here, these guys just wanted to exploit these workers because as contract staff they are entitled to very limited benefits and rights but forget that our labour laws do not limit its protection regardless of one's employment status.
As long as there is no tangible justification for such a rather harsh decision, Nigerian government, NLC and the other civil groups that have intervened are all on point on their decision to make them revert to the former status as it is obvious that it was a clear attempt at exploitation
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by calipso(m): 4:04am On Oct 14, 2011
hmmmmmmmm

many people wish to be a contract staff in Chevron, Shell, etc

after thorough-fully meditated on this issue, i think the reason behind this action is Greed (exploitation)

One Fact
Indian Employers in General are greedy people, stingy and relatively care - less of their staff welfare

if you think am lying ask people that has worked with DOPC, Churchgate, e.t.c
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by tplamp26: 9:10am On Oct 15, 2011
grin grin grin grin
switch .pls leave dis matter, n l c ,airtel,spanco and tech are talking.work has resume.let us focus on how we can move forward in life.what is the value of ur share in airtel.leave the issues, zain was 100 time better than airtel.true or false.true. i refuse to be a slave in my father land.never ever.case closed
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by sharpman1(m): 4:29pm On Oct 17, 2011
In accounting. . . . . . . there is something we call Economic substance & Legal form. We were taught that in dealing with transactions, we should consider the economic substance as against the legal form.

Legally speaking, the call center agents are not the staff of Airtel as they work for the company the call center is outsourced to . . . . . . so technically the are not in any contract with Airtel. . . . . . .

But. . . . . . . the reality is that the outsourced company is owned by people that are connected to Airtel and by default . . . . . . . .Airtel is involved.

We all know that Airtel wants to cut cost . . . . . . . so they want to reduce how much they pay their staff and also make them work longer than they used to. Airtel is only trying to achieve this through the back door.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Am In A State Of Confusion. Help With Your Advice. / What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position / NDLEA and FRSC Recruitment

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.