Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read (70510 Views)

Why Did Christian Missionaries Claim That The Panare Indians Killed Jesus? / Letter from King Leopold II of Belgium to Colonial Missionaries, 1883 / Speech By King Leopold Ii Of Belgium Delivered In 1883 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by harakiri(m): 5:56pm On Oct 12, 2011
Enigma:

Where is the Leopold Letter in the Roman Catholic Encyclopaedia?!!!

Please, make an effort (however hard and strenuous it is for you) to read before commenting. The answer to your unnecessarily repeated question is in my last post.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by harakiri(m): 5:58pm On Oct 12, 2011
tpia@:

e ja gboran for goodness sake!!!

the man was dethroned and disciplined by his own people largely because of the suffering he inflicted on the congo, so its not like nobody knows what went on.

what's the way forward now should be the question, not how do we rehash over and over again the contents of racist letters of questionable sobriety!!!

Leave Enigma alone to keep arguing blindly. He's looking to create an argument when he has nothing to talk about.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 5:59pm On Oct 12, 2011
^^^ OK please quote the Leopold Letter from a page in the Roman Catholic Encyclopaedia and provide a link directly to the page.

Is that too hard for you ----- or perhaps you need to face the fact that you are just deceiving yourself?

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by harakiri(m): 6:19pm On Oct 12, 2011
Enigma:

^^^ OK please quote the Leopold Letter from a page in the Roman Catholic Encyclopaedia and provide a link directly to the page.

Is that too hard for you ----- or perhaps you need to face the fact that you are just deceiving yourself?

cool

Since you asked for it, please go to this website :

http://www.fafich.ufmg.br/~luarnaut/Letter%20Leopold%20II%20to%20Colonial%20Missionaries.pdf

It automatically downloads a Microsoft word file containing the letter and other referral material. The site also opens after the download (that's how it worked on my computer). Please, I beg of you. . .MAKE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO READ AND UNDERSTAND before you come here to talk about stuff you know nothing about.

Furthermore, the BBC has more material on this :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3516965.stm

If you're still arguing blindly after this, then it's either you're an attention seeker or worse.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 6:26pm On Oct 12, 2011
See your life outside!  grin

So you never had any proof of the genuineness of the letter? Of course you never did! You see I knew that already; I even gave you several chances to back off ---- but you were too unwise to see that I was giving you escape routes. Now, you have come to a dead end.

You cannot find the letter in the Roman Catholic Encyclopaedia that you were making noise about.

Now you've linked to a copy of the letter ---- when everyone knows that there are copies of the letter extant. Just like there are copies of letters by Sanusi, Soludo --- you name it --- offering to deposit millions in total strangers' bank accounts.

If you are the kind of person who reaches a conclusion on a simple matter so shoddily and who is so unwise to take an escape route or to know when to back-pedal, don't you now realise that it is a bit presumptuous of you to be able to speak about the non-existence of God?

Again, I would have said to you "think about it" but I now realise it would be wasted.

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by tpia5: 6:33pm On Oct 12, 2011
harakiri my post was meant for you.

you're not even a christian so why are you so vocal about the letter even if its real.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by harakiri(m): 7:26pm On Oct 12, 2011
tpia@:

harakiri my post was meant for you.

you're not even a christian so why are you so vocal about the letter even if its real.

The letter depicts how Christianity was used to control the minds of the black folks during the slave trade era. I have always stated my reasons for disbelief in religion and it's use for mind control is one of them. With or without the letter, it's doesn't take a genius to see how religion is being used to turn people into gullible sheep today.

Furthermore, [b]Enigma [/b]came here claiming to have "facts" that can debunk this letter as fake. Till now, he is yet to do that except beat about the bush,whip up sentiments and frantically trying to pick on any opposing comment to "manufacture" his lame arguments (i'm pretty sure you noticed that but na me vocal pass for your eyes. . .see d pipo)
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by harakiri(m): 7:44pm On Oct 12, 2011
Enigma:

See your life outside!  grin

So you never had any proof of the genuineness of the letter? Of course you never did! You see I knew that already; I even gave you several chances to back off ---- but you were too unwise to see that I was giving you escape routes. Now, you have come to a dead end.

You cannot find the letter in the Roman Catholic Encyclopaedia that you were making noise about.

Now you've linked to a copy of the letter ---- when everyone knows that there are copies of the letter extant. Just like there are copies of letters by Sanusi, Soludo --- you name it --- offering to deposit millions in total strangers' bank accounts.

If you are the kind of person who reaches a conclusion on a simple matter so shoddily and who is so unwise to take an escape route or to know when to back-pedal, don't you now realise that it is a bit presumptuous of you to be able to speak about the non-existence of God?

Again, I would have said to you "think about it" but I now realise it would be wasted.

cool

Mr Man,

I am sorry to say this and use this language but you are a complete DUNCE! ! !

If you had taken some moments to read through the catholic encyclopedia, you would have seen where they talked about not just the Congo but also the inhuman treatment meted out to the Congolese by King Leopold. I went further to give you another link with more material with referrals to books (not websites) to read from. The fact that you can even compare a sensitive letter such as this to all those 419 fraudulent letters shows what a complete dunce you really are. Merely typing the word "fraud" in Goggle will bring out several examples of such letters. There is nobody who has been using internet for at least the past 3 months that hasn't received all those bogus emails. It's public knowledge. This letter on the other hand is way more sensitive than those 419 letters and if there was any shred of evidence to debunk the letter, wouldn't there be a public outcry? Would the Belgians want their history smeared with such atrocities without putting up a fight? Are you this THICK in the head?

Look at this m.oron coming here to talk rubbish and in his indoctrinated brainwashed thick skull, he thinks he's making "logical statements". Reetard! ! ! You believe in a god, you cannot show one shred of evidence of it's existence except what you've been spoon fed with and you have the audacity to talk about "logic".

REETARD! ! !

Come back here and try making something about my post if you like.

DUMMY! ! !
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 7:46pm On Oct 12, 2011
So far you have shown that the Leopold "letter" exists or is "genuine" in just the same way as you atheists' favourite things e.g.

Russell's teapot
The invisible pink unicorn
The flying spaghetti monster
Sussicorn

etc etc, please add others that I have forgotten presently, thanks.  smiley

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Oba234: 7:55pm On Oct 12, 2011
I am a bit skeptical because King Leopold never even step foot in the Congo. How will he know what to write when he never had any interaction with the people?
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by harakiri(m): 8:06pm On Oct 12, 2011
Enigma:

So far you have shown that the Leopold "letter" exists or is "genuine" in just the same way as you atheists' favourite things e.g.

Russell's teapot
The invisible pink unicorn
The flying spaghetti monster
Sussicorn

etc etc, please add others that I have forgotten presently, thanks.  smiley

cool

My friend,

You keep exposing how really thick,dull and reetarded you really are. Terms like "flying spaghetti monster" and "invisible pink unicorn" were mostly coined by authors of Atheist literature. Not every Atheist reads those books and a lot of them don't even know such books exists e.g I had already dumped religion long before i knew who Richard Dawkins was. My disbelief in religion didn't come from what i read in a book or YouTube videos rather my disbelief arose from the voluminous inconstitencies and contradictions Christianity presented itself with. The more i tried to understand, the more vague it became. After living in doubt for years (from the age of 13 till i was almost 30) i finally dumped religion for good. Furthermore, there are several countries that are predominantly non-religious a.k.a Atheist. A lot of their citizenry were born without a clue what religion is not to talk of reading a religious or non-religious book. The concept of theism or atheism to such people is beyond odd. It's as simple as that. So please, get your facts (and your mind) right before you proceed to talk about stuff you know nothing of.

Nuff said!
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 8:08pm On Oct 12, 2011
All the above is your own problem! smiley

What you have to do, which you have failed miserably at and which you are either too proud or dishonest to acknowledge, is show some proof that the Leopold "letter" is genuine!

Show me the money! wink

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by harakiri(m): 8:32pm On Oct 12, 2011
Enigma:

All the above is your own problem!  smiley

What you have to do, which you have failed miserably at and which you are either too proud or dishonest to acknowledge, is show some proof that the Leopold "letter" is genuine!

Show me the money!  wink

cool

I guess I've fed the troll long enough. My bad.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 8:41pm On Oct 12, 2011
As I always say: anywhere you see an evangelical atheist, even on his own, you see a mumu!

And it is amazing how they are all, to a man, incredibly stooopid, obtuse and dishonest.

A wise and honest person would have said loooooooong ago: "surprisingly, I cannot find anything to prove that the letter is genuine, you know"! And the discussion would have long moved on. Instead the evangelical atheists would rather lie, wriggle, play all kinds of sleight of hand ---- until they are exposed for the mumus that they are.

Happens all the time!  smiley

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by harakiri(m): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2011
Enigma:

As I always say: anywhere you see an evangelical atheist, even on his own, you see a mumu!

And it is amazing how they are all, to a man, incredibly stooopid, obtuse and dishonest.

A wise and honest person would have said loooooooong ago: "surprisingly, I cannot find anything to prove that the letter is genuine, you know"! And the discussion would have long moved on. Instead the evangelical atheists would rather lie, wriggle, play all kinds of sleight of hand ---- until they are exposed for the mumus that they are.

Happens all the time!  smiley

cool

(1)Please define in YOUR TERMS what an "evangelical atheist" is and after that, can you explain how the term REMOTELY relates to everything i've said so far on this thread?

(2)You say Atheists are "incredibly obtuse,stoopid and dishonest" and i wonder who really fits this description between religious and non-religious folks. Religious folks believe in imaginary beings based on what they have been told (without a shred of evidence) but somehow, Atheists are obtuse? Religious folks are more than willing to give 10% of their earnings to a pastor (whose bank account gets fatter every sunday) rather than help a brother in need (a guy opened a thread about a week ago concerning the "difficulty" he was having in deciding whether to pay his tithes or assist a brother) and yet, Atheists are stoopid? Religious people are the ones mismanaging the affairs of Nigeria, funding militant groups,looting the government treasury as if it's their piggy bank, even with the majority of their citizenry being religious. . .it's hard to do business with any of them without getting burnt. They all call god,god,god in almost every sentence and yet, they are rated as one of the most dishonest people on earth and yet, you call Atheists dishonest? How many Atheists do you know that are involved in criminal activities? Compare that figure with all the "god fearing people" you know. How many atheists have cheated you? Compare that with all the "god fearing" people you know (including family members). How many Atheists do you know in govt that are looting the treasury? How many are causing mayhem and destruction?

You are a complete DUNCE and i regret every second I've wasted bantering with you.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 9:10pm On Oct 12, 2011
Provide some evidence that the Leopold letter is genuine --- or face the reality of what you are. wink

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by tpia5: 3:13am On Oct 13, 2011
i'm pretty sure you noticed that but na me vocal pass for your eyes. . .see d pipo

your post came up on the recent threads and that's what i responded to.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 8:11am On Oct 13, 2011
Even the poster cold wey start the thread and bin dey make shakara don take style disappear (army don disappear . . . . dem regular trade mark  wink)

At least the disappearance fit mean say hin get some small sense pass the other gormless mumu.  smiley

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 11:02am On Oct 13, 2011
I was hoping to hear from either cold or Idi-Amin who are the other people championing this Leopold letter. As cold in particular don disappear, e be like say the thread has been an own goal in the end.

{Digression: reminds of watching poor and beloved Odiye score an own goal in 1977 to keep Naija out of the world cup; that period 77-82 in particular was rather painful for Naija's world cup aspirations; in those days grown men on TV e.g. Dele Adetiba, Yinka Craig (RIP) etc used style style to conceal tears as Naija suffered another heartbreak! Hmmm, those were the days! smiley}
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 8:54am On Oct 15, 2011
“The above speech which shows the real intention of the Christian missionary journey in Africa was exposed to the world by Mr. Moukouani Muikwani Bukoko, born in the Congo in 1915, and who in 1935 while working in the Congo, bought a second hand Bible from a Belgian priest who forgot the speech in the Bible. — Dr. Chiedozie Okoro

The Dr. Chiedozie Okoro mentioned seems to be (or to have been at some point) an academic in the Philosophy Department in UNILAG; could anybody with easy access to UNILAG please try and arrange a meeting/conversation with Dr. Okoro about this Leopold letter?

Also @ Dr Okoro (just in case you are a Nairalander or ever read here), your assistance in enlightening us will be much appreciated, thanks. smiley

As it happens, it appears that the proliferation of the letter on the Internet started following a column by Chinweizu in our own very Vanguard Newspaper (of 6th October 2005); Chinweizu in turn relied on the above Dr Okoro (with a Dr Vera Nobles) for supplying (info about) the letter.

See e.g. http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=H-Africa&month=0510&week=b&msg=LcPDBrCP4UiAmglO2fWsCQ&user=&pw=

If there is anyone who is able to contact the columnist Chinweizu, it will be appreciated and any enlightenment that Chinweizu can provide would be most welcome as well. smiley

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by Enigma(m): 9:22am On Oct 15, 2011
By the way, any person of intelligence and honesty (we can therefore immediately exclude the evangelical atheists of course) who reads the Wikipedia entry in the following link with proper comprehension would see why there are reasons to doubt that this purported Leopold letter is genuine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congo_Free_State_Propaganda_War

cool
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by napata102: 12:33pm On Sep 09, 2012
you can get further information on the authenticity of the letter from:
1 http://allafrica.com/stories/200510060035.html - The letter which follows is Courtesy of Dr. Vera Nobles and Dr.
Chiedozie Okoro.

Two further points:
1. Christianity is older in Africa than Europe, the Coptic church has a direct line to the original Christan followers. There are numerous references to Africa in the Bible (Egypt and Ethiopia) but none to Europe i.e. UK or Germany ...
2. If you are unable to distinguish between true christians and those seeking to use the name of Christ and the bible for the evil doings then perhaps you ought to reread your bible. In the Bible are warnings about evil people disguised as followers of Christ. To admit that there are evil missionaries calling themselves Christians should not weaken anyone's faith. If you defend evil people (because they call themselves Christian?) then we know which side of good and evil you stand on.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by TerryCarr(m): 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2013
napata102: you can get further information on the authenticity of the letter from:
1 http://allafrica.com/stories/200510060035.html - The letter which follows is Courtesy of Dr. Vera Nobles and Dr.
Chiedozie Okoro.

Two further points:
1. Christianity is older in Africa than Europe, the Coptic church has a direct line to the original Christan followers. There are numerous references to Africa in the Bible (Egypt and Ethiopia) but none to Europe i.e. UK or Germany ...
2. If you are unable to distinguish between true christians and those seeking to use the name of Christ and the bible for the evil doings then perhaps you ought to reread your bible. In the Bible are warnings about evil people disguised as followers of Christ. To admit that there are evil missionaries calling themselves Christians should not weaken anyone's faith. If you defend evil people (because they call themselves Christian?) then we know which side of good and evil you stand on.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by rsbrandt44: 6:34pm On Sep 08, 2018
harakiri:

Like i said earlier, when i see people like you arguing pointlessly, i just wonder. . .

PLEASE, go to Google and type "Catholic Encyclopedia". The first hit you'll get is this website :

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/

And within this encyclopedic website is this same link i posted earlier :

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04228a.htm

My goodness! ! ! Is it so hard for you to grasp? Is it so complex for you to understand? There are other catholic encyclopedias but this very one seems to be the most popular coz it gets the most hits. I have repeatedly told you to provide ANY shred of evidence to prove the Leopold's letter is fake and rather than you do that, you are making lame attempts to whip up sentiments with what Awolowo or whoever said concerning the internet. You are talking about fake 419 letters. Do i need to spell it out to you that for every 419/fraudulent letter on the internet, there are several articles informing people on it's falsehood?

BRING ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE TO SHOW THAT THE KING LEOPOLD LETTER IS FAKE! ! !

No one doubts that the Belgians committed atrocities in the Congo. That is not what's being questioned here. The dispute is over the authenticity of the "King Leopold letter" and the sources you quote don't even mention its existence. An equally valid question would be "Show one academic source which mentions the existence of this letter" or in fact any proof of its validity other than the fact that it's been mentioned online sometime since the Internet arose. Its provenance would be sketchy in any case (no one knew of its existence until someone found a copy stuck in an old book decades after the fact? really?). But since you insist, here are the academics discussing its outing as a fake:

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=H-Africa&month=0510&week=b&msg=G3hOEDW/oRj7KNY3JV2CmQ&user=&pw=

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=H-Africa&month=0510&week=b&msg=z2z%2bPbKXwbGTJJuN14IiBw&user=&pw=

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=H-Africa&month=0510&week=b&msg=hsUshPFZ8iXb%2bNjkj9dtww&user=&pw=

The Nobles-Okoro letter is addressed.
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by hahn(m): 7:57am On Jul 06, 2020

Rubbish.

Anyone can come and post anything from any source and  make it look real.

Post a reliable source  , not some random letter pulled out from some dark corner of the Internet.

Frosbel2. Hahaha. Come and carry yourself o grin
Re: King Leopold's Letter To The Christian Missionaries.an Interesting Read by johnHerba(m): 11:32am On Feb 02, 2021
I WANDER WHAT PASTORS POSTED TO YOUR REGION WOULD BECOME? FOR THOSE THAT WOULD GO TO YOUR REGION

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Church, First Baptist Abuja Shared Rice And 10,000 Cash To Ease Lockdown / Daddy Freeze: Mike Bamiloye Reacts / Top 10 Nigerian Pentecostal Churches With The Best Choir/Music Department

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.