Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,808 members, 7,827,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal (14156 Views)

NBA To Tinubu: Only Courts Can Determine What Is ‘Illegal’ / Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation / Sowore: Falana Tells NBA To Discipline Osinbajo, Other Lawyers In Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Mazist: 11:54pm On Jul 03, 2023
THE Nigerian Bar Association Section On Public Interest Law, NBA-SPIDEL, has set up a team to examine the legality of the Federal Government’s imposition of N1,000 annual proof of ownership fee on vehicle owners.

The government had through the Joint Tax Board, recently come up with a policy making it compulsory for N1,000 to be paid annually on each vehicle in the country for the renewal of proof of ownership certificate.

But in a statement jointly signed by its Chairman, John Aikpokpo-Martins and Secretary, Funmi Adeogun, NBA-SPIDEL said: “Pursuant to our mandate as the Nigerian Bar Association Section on Public Interest Litigation and Development Law (NBA-SPIDEL) which amongst others, is to defend the interest of the public against oppressive and illegal policies of public authorities, and the overall objective of the NBA to defend the rights of the people, we, the officers of SPIDEL hereby set up this legal team to critically examine the legality of the policy and take necessary legal actions, including litigation, to frontally challenge same immediately”.

Members of the legal team, according to the statement, include Kunle Edun, Francis Ogunbowale, Maxwell Opara, Felix Akpowowo, Adeola Folarin, Ibrahim Al-Hussein and Izu Aniagu.

“The consultant to the team is Ikeazor Akaraiwe, SAN,” the statement added.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/nba-to-sue-fg-over-vehicles-proof-of-ownership-fee/amp/

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by DrGoodman: 12:06am On Jul 04, 2023
NBA why na?

You don't want druggie to recover the money he used for election bribes?

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by ratiani6: 12:07am On Jul 04, 2023
Tinubu just dey collect

28 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by slimfit1(m): 8:53am On Jul 04, 2023
It's a senseless way to extract revenue.

64 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Flets: 8:56am On Jul 04, 2023
okay
Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by LeeSantos(m): 9:03am On Jul 04, 2023
It just a pity whenever I think Nigeria should be in the same league as other oil producing countries like Saudi Arabia, USA, Canada and the rest.
At age 16 you can own and finance your own car. But here even some person who could have owned one died without riding in one talk more of owing one.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves

1 Like

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by gift2xl: 9:18am On Jul 04, 2023
Tinubu master of taxation.

13 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Nonso92(m): 9:18am On Jul 04, 2023
Abi
Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by b0rn2fuck(m): 9:19am On Jul 04, 2023
ApC go kukuma finished person, he go favor me and my family people go dey talk rubbish

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Curious345: 9:19am On Jul 04, 2023
Hnmm

Obedients have more wealth than the agbadorians.

We are not complaining . Let the bills come .. we go dey offset am

11 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by ATEAMS: 9:19am On Jul 04, 2023
Work for lawyers don set
Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Sweetrosie(f): 9:19am On Jul 04, 2023
Shame on tinubu...

His agenda is to suffer the masses more.

6 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Nice2023(m): 9:19am On Jul 04, 2023
He said he would increase the tax net and reduced the purchasing power of the people. They were clapping as if they don't understand English.

Fish heads...now,it is becoming real.

This morning as I was driving to the office,I heard the news that the purchasing power of the people have reduced by 23% just of recent.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by BigBlackPreek(m): 9:19am On Jul 04, 2023
Nigeria my country!!!

1 Like

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Mitsurugi(m): 9:20am On Jul 04, 2023
Good call
Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by nairalee(m): 9:21am On Jul 04, 2023
Nigerian government has been called to cut down spending for decades. DECADES!!! Reduce the unnecessary number of cars for politicians and their entourage. It gulp BILLIONS!!!

But no! it's to press the neck of poor Nigerians that the government can think of. Tax the masses! Remove subsidy!! Increase all tariffs etc but leave the mindless excessive spendings of the politicians.

My advise to Tinubu remains:
Let the poor breathe

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by accordadoga26(f): 9:21am On Jul 04, 2023
NBA 🐖 🐖 🐖🐖 🐖 Chapter

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by BarrElChapo(m): 9:22am On Jul 04, 2023
Nice move cos it amounts literally to double taxation.

1 Like

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Johnrake69: 9:23am On Jul 04, 2023
This is one of the most insane policies I’ve ever heard in my life.

After annual car registration and road worthiness payments am still required to renew ownership of my car that I have paid custom duty on. True true na only how to tear ticket Tinubu sabi.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by true2god: 9:23am On Jul 04, 2023
May the tax on the proof of ownership favour me and my family

7 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Antiochus(m): 9:23am On Jul 04, 2023
Why? But It has started favoring me and my family undecided lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Heffalump(m): 9:23am On Jul 04, 2023
It's not done anywhere in the world where you own a car and renew ownership every year. I can't even think about it. This is a clear case of robbery in the name of tax revenue.

When people said Mc Oluomo and his park boys will take over government we thought it was a joke. Now you see.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by OloYeOfEgbE: 9:24am On Jul 04, 2023
Smh..

My Yoruba brothers always complaining about everything and pretending they are speaking for the country... Leave the tax there,let the weak sell theirs cars, let's know the last tribe standing

Ndi ala

5 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by ikdaddy01(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2023
I go join them in the suit! Why do I need to renew the ownership of my ownership by myself

2 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Xwizard: 9:26am On Jul 04, 2023
mumu people, how much is a thousand naira, that’s they are angry. strong issues dey ground, they won’t pick that up, na POO they mad about.

1 Like

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by Johnrake69: 9:27am On Jul 04, 2023
This was just an avenue for police and other agencies to extort Nigerians. Police will impound your car over #1000 ownership renewal

2 Likes

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by OkayDaddy: 9:27am On Jul 04, 2023
OloYeOfEgbE:
Smh..
My Yoruba brothers always complaining about everything and pretending they are speaking for the country... Leave the tax there,let the weak sell theirs cars, let's know the last tribe standing

Ndi ala

The first woman to drive a car was Yoruba.
First man to drive a car in Nigeria was Yoruba.

As at when Yorubas were driving cars, Ijaws were still selling your fathers like bushmeat.

1 Like

Re: NBA To Sue FG Over Car Proof Of Ownership Certificate Renewal by sanerugwei: 9:28am On Jul 04, 2023
Way to go, kudos to NBA if they can pull this off.
The way to increase tax net is to add more people into paying tax, not overtax already over-burdened folks with new levies and taxes.
The politicians just lack creativity and ingenuity, hence they take the lazy approach.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gov Ortom Drives Bulldozer During Flagging Off Road Construction (photos) / Strong Statement From Buhari’ll End Herdsmen Killings -okowa / Court Dismisses Miyetti Allah’s Suit Seeking To Restrain Open Grazing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.