Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,867 members, 7,828,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars (26274 Views)

Subsidy Removal: Mechanics Decry Low Patronage As Motorists Abandon Vehicles / The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars / How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by dre11(m): 9:37am On Jul 05, 2023
Car sellers in Jalingo, Taraba state capital are running out of parking space as civil servants who cannot afford to maintain their vehicles since the removal of fuel subsidy are selling their cars.

Civil servants in the state are compelled to sell out their vehicles since the removal of the fuel subsidy which forced the price of the commodity to skyrocket over 100 percent.

Pump price of fuel in the state sells within the range of N550,00 to N570,00 while the state is among numerous states that are yet to implement the national N30,000 minimum wage.

Most of the Car stands visited by LEADERSHIP within Jalingo proved that 42 percent of vehicles brought in for sell in the last three weeks belongs to civil servants working with the state or local government council. “They are bringing cars massively” one of the car sellers revealed.

Aliyu Aba, a sales agent with Najib Motors, located at TSTC Junction along Jalingo Yola Highway and Nafiu Johnbosco an agent with Haske Motors, located at Roadblock Roundabout and Nathaniel Ibro, an agent with Muri Company located at Muri Hotel within Jalingo told our correspondent that they lack parking space as more customers were approaching them to pick their vehicles to sell on their stands.

They confirmed that most people selling their cars are civil servants particularly from the state.

Those approaching us to sell their cars are mostly civil servants, they claim life is unbearable to them and the cost of fueling and maintaining the vehicles is not possible any longer.

“From our stand, we are not seeing buyers like before the removal of fuel subsidy, people are not ready to buy more vehicles, the cost of fuel has cushion extravagant use of cars, the market is not moving like before.

Titus Illiman, a civil servant with Taraba state ministry of information who also give out his car for sell said he could no longer drive the vehicle since the price of fuel skyrocketed to N550,00.

“I can not park my car and watch it damage without any income, is better I sell it, use the money to farm so that I can make profit to train my children in school, my monthly take home as a civil servant cannot fuel the car.”

https://leadership.ng/subsidy-removal-taraba-civil-servants-sell-off-cars/

2 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by shortgun(m): 9:39am On Jul 05, 2023
They should be patient, Obi is coming to save the Country

128 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by Eternitymedia88: 9:40am On Jul 05, 2023
Pictures of the cars.... Or....
Idontbelieveit!

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by SpecialAdviser(m): 9:40am On Jul 05, 2023
grin grin Some of "It will favour me and my family crew must have done the same and trekking 10km daily" grin grin

I noticed their initial gra gra is gradually reducing.

165 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 9:42am On Jul 05, 2023
shortgun:
They should be patient, Obi is coming to save the Country

Obi that would have removed subsides if he was in charge.

(Not that he is wrong).

It is like you don't know the damage years of being reliant on just oyel money has done to this country, and years of keeping subsides and borrowing because of low oil prices. At the moment we don't have cash for another round of subsides.

If Obi or Tinubu or atiku brings back subsides, it would eventually tip our economy into damage. To the point that there would be no money even for looters self.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by Ihateheadslamer: 9:42am On Jul 05, 2023
Back in the good old days when bicycle is all you need tongue

12 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by basilo102: 9:42am On Jul 05, 2023
Igbos will buy up all the cars. Continue voting nonesense

120 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by longetivity(m): 9:43am On Jul 05, 2023
The selling of cars will favour me and my family.

90 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 05, 2023
grin grin

To be or not to be?!

When we talk, and they don't listen, but prefer to label us haters and enemies of Nigeria, they'll suffer the consequences more, because we started to prepare for the worst from the moment their choice was rigged in.

Life continues, as does the sufferings!

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 9:45am On Jul 05, 2023
basilo102:
Igbos will buy up all the cars. Continue voting nonesense

So you want a leader that will bring back cheap fuel?

Cheap fuel has not benefited our economy. At all. It is why we don't have working refineries, why we even have inflation and deficits.

Fuel costs money to refine.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by Nobody: 9:46am On Jul 05, 2023
Interesting...
Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by dalongjnr: 9:47am On Jul 05, 2023
The APC government have successfully demote these civil servants from car owners to either motorcycle or bicycle owners,worse still, to members of the trekkers association of Nigeria!

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by shortgun(m): 9:48am On Jul 05, 2023
nairalanda1:

(Not that he is wrong).

It is like you don't know the damage years of being reliant on just oyel money has done to this country, and years of keeping subsides and borrowing because of low oil prices. At the moment we don't have cash for another round of subsides.

If Obi or Tinubu or atiku brings back subsides, it would eventually tip our economy into damage. To the point that there would be no money even for looters self.
Obi will put policies in place that will cushion the effects of subsidy removal before removing it.
What happens to making our refineries work first?

What Tinubu is doing is punishing the masses for the politicians to have more money to loot and embezzle.

Since subsidy was removed over a month ago how have Nigerians on the street benefited from the 600 billion saved so far?

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 9:53am On Jul 05, 2023
shortgun:

Obi will put policies in place that will cushion the effects of subsidy removal before removing it.

Policies like what? (Am serious, please, and don't tell me to google).

And if you say palliative....I will get angry. Upon all the mess APC palliatives have caused.

What happens to making our refineries work first?

Refineries cannot work when there is a subsidy in place because subsidy means that fuel has to be sold below its cost of production. And because cost of production rises, subsides may not be enough to cover the difference...leading to depreciation of refineries

Anyway, NNPC is repairing its refineries now...they too love profits.

What Tinubu is doing is punishing the masses for the politicians to have more money to loot and embezzle.

Whereas (and I do agree with you that Tinubu is corrupt...)...if he kept the subsidy....with debt serivice already consuming 75% of our revenue, and with us having to take loans to even keep heads above water, and with NNPC still being owed 2.8 trn in subsidy, plus subsidy costs set to be more than dobule what we spent last year...plus a growing budget deficit.....

Yes, we keep the subsidy, and in five years, we would be so broke that the IMF would be running the country. As would Beijing.

Since subsidy was removed over a month ago how have Nigerians on the street benefited from the 600 billion saved so far?
[/quote]

Has Nigeria become like the USA and UK after 40 years of subsidy?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by CodeTemplar: 10:00am On Jul 05, 2023
Motorcycle now going for N250k - N450k and more. Keke now N1m.

But cars are coming down. One smart mechanic will soon start converting those car engines to auto-equipments like rice mill, destoners, water pump, and biofuel powered generator. From consumption to production. By the time rice appraoches N100,000 per 50kg bag, farmers will emerge naturally using small spaces around to cultivate it.

By fire by force, from consumption to production. Renewed shege to hope.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by CodeTemplar: 10:02am On Jul 05, 2023
nairalanda1:

And if you say palliative....I will get angry. Upon all the mess APC palliatives have caused.

Refineries cannot work when there is a subsidy in place because subsidy means that fuel has to be sold below its cost of production. And because cost of production rises, subsides may not be enough to cover the difference...leading to depreciation of refineries

Whereas (and I do agree with you that Tinubu is corrupt...)...if he kept the subsidy....with debt serivice already consuming 75% of our revenue, and with us having to take loans to even keep heads above water, and with NNPC still being owed 2.8 trn in subsidy, plus subsidy costs set to be more than dobule what we spent last year...plus a growing budget deficit.....

Yes, we keep the subsidy, and in five years, we would be so broke that the IMF would be running the country. As would Beijing.

lol. This was how Buhari campaigned from 2015 to 2023. Subsidy is gone oga subsidywise aka backbencher.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 10:02am On Jul 05, 2023
CodeTemplar:
lol. I love Buhari and his subsidy regimen

Yes you do, you really did.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by Streetdoctor: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2023
nairalanda1:

(Not that he is wrong).

Nobody is disputing that, Obi, Atiku all said it, is a nice ideal but agbado did not even put measures in place before removing it. And from d speech, subsidy removal was not part of d speech.
Before u take such decision, u hv to do a thorough checks to know d effects, how d poor masses will survive.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 10:05am On Jul 05, 2023
Streetdoctor:

Nobody is disputing that, Obi, Atiku all said it, is a nice ideal but agbado did not even put measures in place before removing it. And from d speech, subsidy removal was not part of d speech.
Before u take such decision, u hv to do a thorough checks to know d effects, how d poor masses will survive.

Measures on top of reduced revenue from debt servicing and poor oil revenue?

Nigeria has always been a broke country. We rely on oyel money for everything. At the moment it is impossible to keep on doing so.

And yes, I wish it was otherwise. I effing wish we could keep subsidy. But the alternative is a few years of self deceit before it all comes crashing down on us.

3 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by basilo102: 10:06am On Jul 05, 2023
nairalanda1:

So you want a leader that will bring back cheap fuel?

Cheap fuel has not benefited our economy. At all. It is why we don't have working refineries, why we even have inflation and deficits.

Fuel costs money to refine.
Na you Sabi. All I know is that wealth is shifting from people in government to hustlers and igbos are maximizing their advantage

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by CodeTemplar: 10:06am On Jul 05, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yes you do, you really did.

I get your message. You hate your hypocrisy being exposed.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 10:06am On Jul 05, 2023
CodeTemplar:
YOU are an OPPRESSOR.

Thanks. It's nice to be called that by you.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 10:09am On Jul 05, 2023
basilo102:

Na you Sabi. All I know is that wealth is shifting from people in government to hustlers and igbos are maximizing their advantage

There is nothing wrong with subsidy, but the issue is we should be paying for it by tax revenue, not from oyel money, which fluctuates with the price.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by Streetdoctor: 10:17am On Jul 05, 2023
nairalanda1:

Measures on top of reduced revenue from debt servicing and poor oil revenue?

Nigeria has always been a broke country. We rely on oyel money for everything. At the moment it is impossible to keep on doing so.

And yes, I wish it was otherwise. I effing wish we could keep subsidy. But the alternative is a few years of self deceit before it all comes crashing down on us.
What Jonathan removed subsidy, was their measures in place or not?

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by shortgun(m): 10:19am On Jul 05, 2023
nairalanda1:

Venezuela, Iran, Libya, Angola, Algeria, Egypt e.t.c
These are oil producing countries where fuel is very cheap and affordable to it's citizens.

What did these countries do?
What is stopping Tinubu from replicating same in Nigeria?

If subsidized petrol from Nigeria is diverted to neighbouring countries as they claim. Should the citizens suffer for the inability of Government to perform its function of safeguarding the border?

These are the issues a president like Peter Obi will address systematically, this is why he keeps mentioning countries with working economies.
Tinubu is a corrupt Nigerian politician, he doesn't have what it takes to be upright and implement the right policies

15 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by basilo102: 10:21am On Jul 05, 2023
nairalanda1:

There is nothing wrong with subsidy, but the issue is we should be paying for it by tax revenue, not from oyel money, which fluctuates with the price.
No nation can tax itself into prosperity. Production is what grows the economy, not taxation

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 10:25am On Jul 05, 2023
shortgun:

Venezuela, Iran, Libya, Angola, Algeria, Egypt e.t.c
These are oil producing countries where fuel is very cheap and affordable to it's citizens.

Venezuela has a massive debt burden, wrekced refineries, large deficits, loses as much as 18 billion to smuggling, and is broke
Iran is spending twice its revenue on subsides. Government wants to stop, people growl
Libya has a massive smuggling problem...to the point they are using airstrikes
Ditto Angola
Egypt removed subsides over the last ten years

What did these countries do?
What is stopping Tinubu from replicating same in Nigeria?

Libya produces more oil than we do, and has less than 8 million people. Angola does not have up to 40 million people (and is still broke and poor by the way). Iran has a massive debt, Venezuela I have talked about.

Nigeria produces less than Libya and has 220 million people

Where is the money (and the fact that looting happens makes our matter worse) to subsidise.? A fresh loan.

If subsidized petrol from Nigeria is diverted to neighbouring countries as they claim. Should the citizens suffer for the inability of Government to perform its function of safeguarding the border?

All those countries you mentioned have massive petrol smuggling problems. Libya is even resorting to using airstrikes to try to stop them . And you expect Nigeria to do better? LOL.

These are the issues a president like Peter Obi will address systematically, this is why he keeps mentioning countries with working economies.
Tinubu is a corrupt Nigerian politician, he doesn't have what it takes to be upright and implement the right policies
[/quote]

Obi would remove subsidy and be done with it. And he would be absolutely right. LOOK...this goes beyond politics. We are too broke to keep up subsidy

PLus has subsidy made us a rich and developed country? No.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by jmoore(m): 10:26am On Jul 05, 2023
It will favour me and my family.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by nairalanda1(m): 10:27am On Jul 05, 2023
basilo102:

No nation can tax itself into prosperity. Production is what grows the economy, not taxation

Yeah, but I am not talking about taxing ourselves into prosperity...I am talking about taxing ourselves so that we have enough money to balance the books in the first place.

Want to be prosperous...leave oil, diversify the economy (taxation is just a part) and become an exporter of manufactured goods. THAT IS HOW YOU BECOME PROSPEROUS.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by Judolisco(m): 10:54am On Jul 05, 2023
Omo... We 2 dense 4 dis country.... Few people benefitted from dis so called subsidy..u claim fuel is being smuggled to neighboring countries... Dats also not our fault... Why must everybody now suffer for d negligence of not securing our border by d federal government

11 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars by GOFRONT(m): 10:54am On Jul 05, 2023
It has finally favor them and their families.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Innoson Sues Gtbank For N400billion Over Character Assasination And Defamation / How To Obtain A Driving Learner's Permit In Nigeria / Vilnius Mayor Crushes Benz With An 8Wheel Armoured Vehicle For Parking Illegally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.