Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,507 members, 7,826,914 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! (12624 Views)

Technological Solutions For Traffic In Lagos / AUN Yola Generates 55% Of All Google Traffic In Nigeria? / Real Time Internet Traffic Statistics For Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by bigsean(m): 7:15pm On Oct 05, 2011
Akainzo:

OK, let me give you an analogy, until the Naira denominated Mastercard/Visa cards came into Nigeria late last year, records would show that online purchases in Nigeria was non-existent though the reality was that thousands were shopping online but they had their cards registered to US or somewhere else.

Should Mastercard now say they had only dozens of users in Nigeria, you might want to disagree due to what you see however, they would be factually correct since those cards were not Nigerian registered.

The same for internet use in Nigeria. Go to many a cybercafe and browse to "google.com", you'd notice that it does not default to the "google.com.ng" site which would indicate that it identifies you as traffic coming from Nigeria.

Once you are not directed to the Nigerian site, your traffic is being counted as being from somewhere else. Like I said with many multinationals using their home country and proxy servers, most of the traffic in Nigeria is not accounted for the nation.

Well ur master/visa card analogy is spot on, but that would mean that for AUN to boast of 55% of legit internet traffic, then nig. total traffic volume from local ISP and all ur IT technical jargons will be relatively very small compared to the real/actual internet activity going on in nigeria, if u get my drift.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by tunde300us(m): 7:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
@akainzo : No cybercafe in lagos has foreign IP anymore.All those days were before GLO1 and MAIN1, and please stop justifying this madness.This ppl just want to sell their products and the only way to do it is to paint them as doing something no other school is doing.

And secondly sir what is your own definition of a campus wide wireless coverage when all the major ISP's in lagos has coverage in the school and almost all student has USB dongles to connect to them.It is you that needs some educating sir or may i say INDEPENDENCE cos Nigeria is 51yrs old but ure still bought to the oyinbo man

Na who be dem ISP sef ? cos i cant remember any company running fibre to that place, cos you made mention of cybercafe IP's not routing from Nigeria.So if dem dey get their internet from a vsat company, and the vsat company dont route their IP through nigeria, then you will look for anoda joke to back them up again abi ? Oga drop it
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 7:37pm On Oct 05, 2011
tunde300us:

@akainzo : No cybercafe in lagos has foreign IP anymore.All those days were before GLO1 and MAIN1, and please stop justifying this madness.This ppl just want to sell their products and the only way to do it is to paint them as doing something no other school is doing.

And secondly sir what is your own definition of a campus wide wireless coverage when all the major ISP's in lagos has coverage in the school and almost all student has USB dongles to connect to them.It is you that needs some educating sir or may i say INDEPENDENCE cos Nigeria is 51yrs old but ure still bought to the oyinbo man

Na who be dem ISP sef ? cos i cant remember any company running fibre to that place, cos you made mention of cybercafe IP's not routing from Nigeria.So if dem dey get their internet from a vsat company, and the vsat company dont route their IP through nigeria, then you will look for anoda joke to back them up again abi ? Oga drop it

Now we are getting there. You acknowledge that prior to Glo Main-1 cable, the cybercafes were using non-Nigerian IPs. With the advent of Glo Main-1, how many have switched to it? How many are using the Main-1 but with foreign proxy servers?
That would let you into the possibility of the data being skewed for reporting.

Secondly, if you definition of a Wireless coverage is to count the GSM providers, then Nigeria is a huge WiFi connected area.
However, the GSM providers are not part of definition for Wireless connectivity even though their services are wirelessly delivered. You can get more info here:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

Finally, not all internet is delivered by fibre as the last mile, I am sure you've these terms: Microwave, Vsat, Satellite & copper cable.

Until you find empirical means to fault arguments, sentiments just wont do with me.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 05, 2011
I completed my undergrad from there. When the writer says traffic, he doesn't mean number of people. He means amount of data traffic. I am not defending the figure anyway, but a lot of work we did in the school required the use of the internet. (homework, projects, registrations, submitting assignments and so on). All the processes in the school run over the internet. The population is over 2000, but they also provide internet for the locals in Yola. So it is quite possible that the figure is true. By the way, most people nowadays are ditching the conventional internet-on-computer, with the advent of the blackberry.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 05, 2011
Blackberry and GSM-modem internet do not count in these figures. The figures there represent satellite/broadband connectivity. So, the figures are possibly correct
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by tunde300us(m): 8:25pm On Oct 05, 2011
2000 student makes up 55% of internet traffic in the whole of Nigeria ,and yet u want me to join you in believing such grin (even VI has more traffic) unless specified to a particular site,then i will believe you.

U want to know how many ppl have switched to MAIN1 and GLO1,maybe you think the crash with internet bandwidth prices is because competition alone, then you are in a dream world.

Before this fibre cables,1MB was sold for $4000 via satellite and the end users pay hugely for this,but now that the fibre cables are in nija and lagos particularly, there has been great improvement and prices particularly has crashed drastically $500/MB, please tell me who wouldnt take up such and play with it.

And this ur proxy thing you keep talking about marvel me,how many cafes have you visited lately where they use proxy ? except all these yahoo boyz wey don even step up sef.

And nwanna89, maybe u didnt read the post well,or you want to re-write ur own, cos it says traffic.it didnt specify from where to where, its a sweeping comment and that is why some of us are totally against it.No one is saying ur skl no get WIFI-ED INTERNET grin
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by tunde300us(m): 8:30pm On Oct 05, 2011
On a lighter note, have you guys gone to check if you are not virus infected, cos am sure u guys also communicate with the internet tru ur wifi-ed mouth,eye and body cos 55% of Nigeria's traffic has passed tru u guys lipsrsealed
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by olawalebabs(m): 8:33pm On Oct 05, 2011
nwanna89:

I completed my undergrad from there. When the writer says traffic, he doesn't mean number of people. He means amount of data traffic. I am not defending the figure anyway, but a lot of work we did in the school required the use of the internet. (homework, projects, registrations, submitting assignments and so on). All the processes in the school run over the internet. The population is over 2000, but they also provide internet for the locals in Yola. So it is quite possible that the figure is true. By the way, most people nowadays are ditching the conventional internet-on-computer, with the advent of the blackberry.
don't defend this, even my alma mata uses more brandwith than AUN did, imagine a school with over 20000 students registering, making payment and writing their exams online, won't there be more traffic there more than a school with just 2000. Abeg make they no sell that one for us
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Evagreenfields: 8:51pm On Oct 05, 2011
nwanna89:

emmm madam im currently in yola n i live ryt opposite aun, believe me, therz no wifi provision for us ere. Uv gotta be within the premises (aun, abti/ aun club) to be wifi connected
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by hbrednic: 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2011
false news
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2011
@tunde300us,  obviously when objectivity or empirical faculties fail you, you descend to this kind of depths. Not to worry, its a known symptom for a certain deficiency.

Would uou find ot strange that less than 10% of Nigerians controls 80% of the wealth of the country? and when faced with with such you try to.counter with population figures! Such oack of analaytical prowess.

BTW, the google team was referring to internet traffic to google services and not to general internet usage so facebook would not count  grin
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by kawkab: 11:34pm On Oct 05, 2011
I dont think the truth is being told here considering the Internet requirement of Banks, corporate Institution and other organisations whether in terms of bandwidth or Google services.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Siga: 11:40pm On Oct 05, 2011
Haba google, pay me $10m and I will still disagree undecided, lol, oops maybe i will agree oo wink, bunch of lies angry
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by rhymz(m): 12:46am On Oct 06, 2011
Akainzo
Your analysis is at best theoretical and just glossed the surface of the realities.
I understand your argument that with regards to the recorded internet traffic that can be claimed to come from Nigeria, the claims of of google/AUN accounting for %55 of internet traffic emanating from Nigeria might be true.
However, the argument fails to recognize that virtually every ISP in Nigeria pays for bandwidth space to upstream ISPs and ISP host companies in Europe and most especially America and then route it back to Nigeria for retail sales to clients-including the providers of the AUN.
Now, if one is to go by your argument, it would mean some internet traffic usage is seen as emanating from Nigeria and some are not and based on this assumptions the claims might be true.
You forget to reason if one is to take Nigeria's infrastructural development in I.T and communication, there is no how any ISP domiciled in Nigeria can provide a single client the bandwidth size large enough to account for %55 of Nigeria's total internet usage without any resort to buying such access from host internet network companies outside of Nigeria. If that were to be the case, is it not also possible, if I were to follow the logic of your argument that the basis of the claims could not have been entirely on the location of the I.Ps using up the bandwidths? Because of course google would have seen traffic emanating from the ip as foreign and like others treat it differently like they would with those from multi-nationals(who route their network to those in their own country)
Besides, so many things do not add up even if it is determined that the school has an unlimited bandwith space at their disposal, how do you explain the claim that a school with a population of less than 2000 people generate more internet traffic than the whole of the country put together. What is it that they do on the internet that can generate such a staggaring figure. I don't see how that adds up.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by jmaine: 1:37am On Oct 06, 2011
A big terrible lie . . . .when there are multitudes running into several thousands in Lagos,  who burn gigabytes daily via downloading what they do not need, cos it's relatively free . . . . Entire story is just funny . . .
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by bigsean(m): 2:05am On Oct 06, 2011
@Nairaland Moderators, what did i do now? i believe i have been charming and respectful in all my posts/comments so far, why did u guys block me now?
Abeg do something about your auto anti-spam bot.
Yes we want trolls and spams bloked for the good of the forum but not at the expense of innocent, charming, respectiful (seriously i could go on grin), law abiding forum users like me grin
BTW if you haven't seen Law Abiden Citizen, great movie.

Anyway, back to the AUN discussion, so where were we cheesy
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by VALIDATOR: 7:59am On Oct 06, 2011
@Muskeeto,
1,000kbps=1mbps
divide both sides by 20
50kbps=(1/20)mbps =0.05mbps and NOT 0.005mbps
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by babestella: 8:33am On Oct 06, 2011
AUN can't even beat UNILAG alone, let alone the whole Lagos. That story is false and misleading.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 8:51am On Oct 06, 2011
@rhymz, thanks for your insightful riposte.

The missing link in all this might actually be the title of this thread vis-a-vis what the Google team actually said. The report was obviously skewed by the university to gain a sort of leverage / advantage. If you read carefully the Google statement and peruse the Google University program, you would see clearly that what they were referring to was Google services specific internet traffic.

If the data is thus limited to Google services consumption, it is very much possible for AUN to account for 55% seeing as they are all wired up and are currently enrolled in the the university program of Google. Unilag may generate so much internet traffic than AUN altogether, but seeing as they school is not structured into using Google services, they would not account for much on that data count as AUN would.

The question is, How many universities in Nigeria use the internet as a basic part of their operations, and How many universities in Nigeria are participating in the Google universities program?

Answers to the above would help put things in perspective.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by rhymz(m): 9:35am On Oct 06, 2011
Fact that a lot of us here fail to recognize is that every ISP outside the United states -including the ones in europe and Asia- till this day route their networks directly to those in the US.
The United States is the center of the Internet for two important reasons: First, the U.S. backbone, composed of the tier- one ISPs like MCI WorldCom's UUNet, Sprint, and GTE Internetworking, controls the vast majority of the Internet's routing table. That means they are able to originate or terminate traffic on their own network without interconnecting. But what this means for other ISPs is that they need to interconnect with one or more of those tier-one ISPs to reach what can well be considered "the global Internet." A lack of such an interconnection would not enable the other ISP to reach all Internet users. And since the largest number of users, as well as the world's most popular Internet content, is based in the United States and hosted by these ISPs directly or via down- stream ISPs, ISPs outside the United States must connect with the U.S. backbone else they are effectively not on the Net.
So Akainzo's arguments are greatly flawed on this basis as it appears that the basis for the claims may not have been based on the location of internet protocols whether proxy or not. That some internet traffic is seen as Nigerian and some not(even when they are actually traffic from Nigeria) does not explain how AUN with a mere population of less than 2000 people could generate a traffic that will account for %55 of Nigeria's internet traffic usage, ignoring the fact that Nigeria has the highest number of internet users in the whole of Africa. The maths does not add up jare!! That claim is pure PR statement to boost the school standing, it does not matter whether it was google officials that made such an exaggeration, and purposefully vague statement. Let them give us the maths of their stats make we see how dem do the magic.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by rhymz(m): 10:09am On Oct 06, 2011
Akainzo:

@rhymz, thanks for your insightful riposte.

The missing link in all this might actually be the title of this thread vis-a-vis what the Google team actually said. The report was obviously skewed by the university to gain a sort of leverage / advantage. If you read carefully the Google statement and peruse the Google University program, you would see clearly that what they were referring to was Google services specific internet traffic.

If the data is thus limited to Google services consumption, it is very much possible for AUN to account for 55% seeing as they are all wired up and are currently enrolled in the the university program of Google. Unilag may generate so much internet traffic than AUN altogether, but seeing as they school is not structured into using Google services, they would not account for much on that data count as AUN would.

The question is, How many universities in Nigeria use the internet as a basic part of their operations, and How many universities in Nigeria are participating in the Google universities program?

You have a point there, the ambiguity of the claim was intentional, they know probably that the google officials were referring specifically to Nigerian internet traffic that goes into the use of google and other google services and not the entire internet traffic generated by Nigerian internet users. All thesame, the vagueness of the claim was pure PR and should not be taken seriously. And by the bros, registered ISPs in Nigeria far exceed those 3 abi na two wey you mention, I could name like 20 registered ISPs in V.I parts lagos alone with their addresses too, some of them have very few clients whose traffic are enough to keep them in business.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by eazydon(m): 11:15am On Oct 06, 2011
I alone generate more trafiic than the whole of Africa combined lol!!!. I am sensing something here. Google wants to make use of that uni, and they just threw the bait
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by speacktome: 12:23pm On Oct 06, 2011
Talk is cheap how much will Atiku pay Google to lie for him? Or how much will he pay the staff to lie against their job which will lead to them to loose there job and even go to jail. Is not the people in the school that matters but the data traffic is their concern which I totally agreed with there analysis
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by sholasys: 1:23pm On Oct 06, 2011
who is there ISP ? What technology i.e VSAT, Fibre Optic, WIMAX or WIFI is there local backend, if i can get this info i will confirm the actual trafic.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Hearme(m): 1:24pm On Oct 06, 2011
I reside in Lagos and whenever I browse with google.ng, the auto set location usually reads a very wrong state/town in nigeria. Sometimes its Maiduguri, but as at today its reading Nsukka. I had just changed it to Lagos again. May be by tomorrow it might be reading another town.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by speacktome: 2:03pm On Oct 06, 2011
coolI don’t think a multibillion company like Google will jeopardize its image, take or leave it but what Google said is the ultimate truth. cool
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 06, 2011
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by rhymz(m): 3:08pm On Oct 06, 2011
speacktome:

coolI don’t think a multibillion company like Google will jeopardize its image, take or leave it but what Google said is the ultimate truth. cool
Guy abeg stop ranting ignorance jor. Google officials are human beings and not gods, they can make vague and sweeping stateements depending on what they hope to achieve with it, it does not mean they are neccessarily right. Let them show us the basis of such claims simple, do you know how much bandwidth businesses and multinationals in Lagos consume per say? Even if every of the 2000 students have chips in their heads that use internet services it still won't surpass the bandwidth traffic generated from the city of Lagos alone. Scheeew, which kind google be that one Scheeeew!!
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Xionez(m): 9:48pm On Oct 08, 2011
55% of the total traffic. . .
Hope those guys aren't dumb to believe such claims.
No school or uni can claim 30% to themselves not to talk of 55%.
Does it mean that na only them get internet connection. Please, having a connection, they should have immediately googled what Google claimed. smiley
Anyways, wetin concern me. As far as my internet connection is stable and fast, i dont give a rats behind even if Google claim that 99% of traffic originates from them. Not to talk of they fact that they arent anywhere top 50 university in Africa.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Maleeq(m): 8:50am On Oct 09, 2011
Akainzo:

And noone is taking to the salient points nicely pointed out by @Akainzo
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by tunde300us(m): 1:14pm On Oct 09, 2011
Why should i be helping google translate what they meant by 55% of internet traffic. The statement was clearly stated (TOTAL) INTERNET TRAFFIC it didnt say google traffic.I now know why WAEC and NECO record large failures

I dont know why anyone shld be making case for google considering if the reverse was the case.Lets call a spade a spade,google has goofed with this one and only them can come clearify it.Why are we so low in confidence to think google cant make such mistakes shiiioooooo
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Djcn: 6:53pm On Oct 10, 2011
tunde300us:

Why should i be helping google translate what they meant by 55% of internet traffic. The statement was clearly stated (TOTAL) INTERNET TRAFFIC it didnt say google traffic.I now know why WAEC and NECO record large failures

I dont know why anyone shld be making case for google considering if the reverse was the case.Lets call a spade a spade,google has goofed with this one and only them can come clearify it.Why are we so low in confidence to think google cant make such mistakes shiiioooooo

Where exactly was it stated Don't be deceived by the title of the thread.
What Google reps said was Fifty-five percent of Google online traffic. That is possible and that was informed the visit to the school.

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker / Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator / Spectranet 4g Lte And Swift 4g Lte Browsing Free On Pc With Zero Naira (fastest)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.