Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,862 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

10 Things To Know Before Travelling To Kigali, Rwanda In 2023. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Things To Know Before Travelling To Kigali, Rwanda In 2023. (813 Views)

Things Every Lady Should Know Before 30 / Things Every Guy Should Know Before 30 / 11 Persons Travelling For Funeral Die In Fatal Auto Crash In Calabar (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things To Know Before Travelling To Kigali, Rwanda In 2023. by Sheyimann: 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2023
Japa Guys,

I saw a post on Facebook of some people planning to visit Rwanda on a whim just because of posts and pictures of some beautiful Rwandan girls they saw online, this post of mine is meant to make some simple things clear before anyone travels just because of promises and fantasies anyone might have.

First and foremost, visa.

1.Rwanda is visa free for Nigeria, though i'm not sure if it still is, but ensure to do your research, if memory serves me, up until now, Rwandan has been visa for Nigeria, all you need is buy your ticket, yellow card and hotel booking and that should be all, I think, so think again before lazily doling out your money to agents, there is no process at all ,just buy your ticket and do the other things I mentioned.

2.Currency:s As at 2021 when I arrived here, the exchange rate of Naira to Rwanda francs was somewhere around 1 naira to 2 Rwandan francs, some of the Nigerians I met even told me it was higher than that in the previous years, fast forward to 2023 July and the naira is now struggling greatly even against the Rwandan Francs, so it is clearly not a promising sign for people who want to visit Rwanda, right now if you have a million naira with you ,you would barely get 1.5million Rwandan francs, in the previous years like 2021 and early 2022 ,you could get 1.6-1.8 million Rwandan francs.

The exchange power of the Nigerian currency is at an all time low, if you do not want to be stranded ,don't be decieved by the exchange rates shown on Google, L.O.L, they are polar opposites, so my advice is change your naira to dollars and have it in mind that you would not change any naira to Rwanda francs in Kigali, do your exchange to dollar in Nigeria, if you come here to exchange naira to dollars, you will be shocked , so heed to this simple advice.

3.Flight ticket prices: This is another shocking offshoot of the low currency power of the naira, back in 2021 or early 2022, Lagos to Kigali was around 139k or lower to 150k, fast forward to 2023 July, the current ticket prices as listed on quite a number of ticketing platforms are around 280,000 naira - 340K or thereabouts for one way, while two ways bookings are around 580,000 naira - 600k and above, you can see almost a 100 percent increase. Kigali, however remains just a 4 hours flight,

4.Hotels and Accommodations in Kigali

Hmmm, for hotel accomodation, be ready to pay 30$ to 80$ or more depending on your taste, but if you are looking to rent your own studio or apartment, be ready to between 80-120$ depending on the area, housing in Kigali is a gold mine , a room and parlor with toilet and no kitchen goes for 80$ in most places in Kigali, while a room and parlor with no toilet goes for 70$, while one that has both maybe 90$ -120$ per month , that's one area that makes real estate and housing in Lagos probably better than Kigali, however, when electricity becomes 100 percent in Nigeria, I am sure land owners and house owners would take a leaf from the Rwanda housing playbook, lol.

So don't jump on the bandwagon of looking for 30$ or 50$ apartments, you may never find it because the house brokers are greedy as F.So be wise in your travel or visit plans.

5.F.A.Qs

How long would may free visa last? You get just a month free visa as a Nigeria, use it to plan your journey, either to visit exciting places or apply for another class of visa, but most importantly, do not overstay your free visa , it puts a smear on the Nigeria green passport, be wise .

Is there a Nigerian Embassy in Kigali, Rwanda ?

Yes there is , I have been there personally, Nyarutarama, the Nigeria rep here is a friendly and kind woman, but watch out, if you have a issues, you would pay money ooo ,lol, but it's a good place to visit and register yourself as a Nigeria in Rwanda.

How is the business landscape in Kigali, Rwanda?

Hmmm, this one go far, there are some gray areas in doing business in Kigali ,Rwanda, where should I even start,

Taxes:I think Rwanda and Kenya are probably one of the most tax-oriented economies in black Africa, and it works for them because for the most part, you can see that the taxes funds are being deployed into sectors of the country, however , for a foreigner, taxes in Rwanda may be a quick poison new start ups owned by foreigners, and there is a way for you to avoid because Rwanda's system is so effective at tracking almost payments and transactions, plus the taxes are not even commensurate to the size of the business.

Whether you want to run a small or big business, it don't matter, there are several taxes lined up for you and you must pay,else wahala for you.

6. July- December

I personally think that July-December are the colder months in Rwanda ,from morning till night , it would be chilly, so you may need to bring some sweaters till you adapt to the weather, you won't even need fans or air conditioners ,the weather is naturally cold during these periods.

7,8,9,10 To be continued when the spirit leads. Lest I forget, Rwandans are heavy drinkers, so don't join that train, else you'll be broke in a week with the way everything is becoming expensive globally.

Opinion

I think this is a bad time to even travel out of Nigeria because of the currency issue, you may be need anything above 1.5m naira to have a decent visit experience in Kigali, Rwanda, I say this as the lowest of low budgets to have when travelling currently to Kigali, Rwanda, if you make the mistake of travelling with lower, you would be certainly shocked when you arrive, so be wise.

Travelling to Rwanda currently is not the same as any other year or years past, so do your budgets wisely ,plan and re-plan and have a clear goal if you intend to stay on.

Re: 10 Things To Know Before Travelling To Kigali, Rwanda In 2023. by TemplarLandry: 4:14pm On Jul 08, 2023
cool I heard the Rwandan Government tracks people's phones in order to know those against the President.
Re: 10 Things To Know Before Travelling To Kigali, Rwanda In 2023. by JrSteven(m): 11:23am On Aug 16, 2023
Pls how can I reach the Nigerian embassy in Kigali, I have a friend who was picked up by the immigration yesterday

Sheyimann:

Japa Guys,

I saw a post on Facebook of some people planning to visit Rwanda on a whim just because of posts and pictures of some beautiful Rwandan girls they saw online, this post of mine is meant to make some simple things clear before anyone travels just because of promises and fantasies anyone might have.

First and foremost, visa.

1.Rwanda is visa free for Nigeria, though i'm not sure if it still is, but ensure to do your research, if memory serves me, up until now, Rwandan has been visa for Nigeria, all you need is buy your ticket, yellow card and hotel booking and that should be all, I think, so think again before lazily doling out your money to agents, there is no process at all ,just buy your ticket and do the other things I mentioned.

2.Currency:s As at 2021 when I arrived here, the exchange rate of Naira to Rwanda francs was somewhere around 1 naira to 2 Rwandan francs, some of the Nigerians I met even told me it was higher than that in the previous years, fast forward to 2023 July and the naira is now struggling greatly even against the Rwandan Francs, so it is clearly not a promising sign for people who want to visit Rwanda, right now if you have a million naira with you ,you would barely get 1.5million Rwandan francs, in the previous years like 2021 and early 2022 ,you could get 1.6-1.8 million Rwandan francs.

The exchange power of the Nigerian currency is at an all time low, if you do not want to be stranded ,don't be decieved by the exchange rates shown on Google, L.O.L, they are polar opposites, so my advice is change your naira to dollars and have it in mind that you would not change any naira to Rwanda francs in Kigali, do your exchange to dollar in Nigeria, if you come here to exchange naira to dollars, you will be shocked , so heed to this simple advice.

3.Flight ticket prices: This is another shocking offshoot of the low currency power of the naira, back in 2021 or early 2022, Lagos to Kigali was around 139k or lower to 150k, fast forward to 2023 July, the current ticket prices as listed on quite a number of ticketing platforms are around 280,000 naira - 340K or thereabouts for one way, while two ways bookings are around 580,000 naira - 600k and above, you can see almost a 100 percent increase. Kigali, however remains just a 4 hours flight,

4.Hotels and Accommodations in Kigali

Hmmm, for hotel accomodation, be ready to pay 30$ to 80$ or more depending on your taste, but if you are looking to rent your own studio or apartment, be ready to between 80-120$ depending on the area, housing in Kigali is a gold mine , a room and parlor with toilet and no kitchen goes for 80$ in most places in Kigali, while a room and parlor with no toilet goes for 70$, while one that has both maybe 90$ -120$ per month , that's one area that makes real estate and housing in Lagos probably better than Kigali, however, when electricity becomes 100 percent in Nigeria, I am sure land owners and house owners would take a leaf from the Rwanda housing playbook, lol.

So don't jump on the bandwagon of looking for 30$ or 50$ apartments, you may never find it because the house brokers are greedy as F.So be wise in your travel or visit plans.

5.F.A.Qs

How long would may free visa last? You get just a month free visa as a Nigeria, use it to plan your journey, either to visit exciting places or apply for another class of visa, but most importantly, do not overstay your free visa , it puts a smear on the Nigeria green passport, be wise .

Is there a Nigerian Embassy in Kigali, Rwanda ?

Yes there is , I have been there personally, Nyarutarama, the Nigeria rep here is a friendly and kind woman, but watch out, if you have a issues, you would pay money ooo ,lol, but it's a good place to visit and register yourself as a Nigeria in Rwanda.

How is the business landscape in Kigali, Rwanda?

Hmmm, this one go far, there are some gray areas in doing business in Kigali ,Rwanda, where should I even start,

Taxes:I think Rwanda and Kenya are probably one of the most tax-oriented economies in black Africa, and it works for them because for the most part, you can see that the taxes funds are being deployed into sectors of the country, however , for a foreigner, taxes in Rwanda may be a quick poison new start ups owned by foreigners, and there is a way for you to avoid because Rwanda's system is so effective at tracking almost payments and transactions, plus the taxes are not even commensurate to the size of the business.

Whether you want to run a small or big business, it don't matter, there are several taxes lined up for you and you must pay,else wahala for you.

6. July- December

I personally think that July-December are the colder months in Rwanda ,from morning till night , it would be chilly, so you may need to bring some sweaters till you adapt to the weather, you won't even need fans or air conditioners ,the weather is naturally cold during these periods.

7,8,9,10 To be continued when the spirit leads. Lest I forget, Rwandans are heavy drinkers, so don't join that train, else you'll be broke in a week with the way everything is becoming expensive globally.

Opinion

I think this is a bad time to even travel out of Nigeria because of the currency issue, you may be need anything above 1.5m naira to have a decent visit experience in Kigali, Rwanda, I say this as the lowest of low budgets to have when travelling currently to Kigali, Rwanda, if you make the mistake of travelling with lower, you would be certainly shocked when you arrive, so be wise.

Travelling to Rwanda currently is not the same as any other year or years past, so do your budgets wisely ,plan and re-plan and have a clear goal if you intend to stay on.

Re: 10 Things To Know Before Travelling To Kigali, Rwanda In 2023. by Sheyimann: 11:36am On Aug 16, 2023
JrSteven:
Pls how can I reach the Nigerian embassy in Kigali, I have a friend who was picked up by the immigration yesterday

Why was he picked up ? What did he do? Nigerian embassy is at nyarutarama , I have the number of the Nigerian embassy reps, but text me on WhatsApp +250784475998

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Know Before Travelling To Kigali, Rwanda In 2023. by Leed234: 5:17am On Nov 16, 2023
Rwanda is good place to start your business, I am a company owner in Rwanda and my business is going very well. The process of opening my business was smooth no corruption everything were organized. There is strong security services, power, water and steady business transaction progress. If you are coming here accomodation is expensive and you need to plan your way. My company is GUEST HOUSE and food services. You can call the number below for assistance.

+2450793222616.

(1) (Reply)

Just Joind! Greetings! ! / Singles Affairs / Lekki/vi Residents, Beware!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.