Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

What Should Know As You Consider Japa - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Should Know As You Consider Japa (1365 Views)

Men, Would You Consider Being Househusbands? / Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 10:20pm On Jul 09, 2023
Do you plan to relocate at the slimmest opportunity

Are you undecided, confused, need clarity and want to ask certain questions ?

I will be sharing some very awkward information unknown to lots of people who have never travelled.

I am not sharing what i heard or assumed, its about what I know and I have seen in person - (direct information)

It's going to be detailed and informative

Best wishes as we begin this anticipated journey................................STAY TUNED !

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 10:26pm On Jul 09, 2023
More than 90% of african immigrants have no choice but to settle for the jobs not sought after by the citizens of western countries

No tussle, easy walk in

1. Security (mostly Men)

Dressed in suit and ties .......as bankers and corporate workers appear in Nigeria

2. Cleaners (mostly women)

Its a lot different, not with brooms of course....with vacuum cleaners and not as in this part of the world. Cleaners only literally work much later after working hours so they barely even know or meet the employees
They only come at night, do their work in the offices already assigned to them on daily or weekly basis

3. HCA (Both male and female)
Healthcare Assistant

Readily available
2 days training real quick - 3rd day you are rushed to begin work

Loads of shifts - Carehomes especially for old or people who require support with activities of daily living
some even call it BBC - British bottom cleaning

It's hectic, you literally feed, bath, clean, dress change diapers, carry (Not really with hands - with use of hoist)

to be updated soonest

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 10:29pm On Jul 09, 2023
I am gonna shatter the legs of tables not just shake the tables like Reno Omokri lol

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 11:38pm On Jul 09, 2023
I am not against the notion of people moving abroad

The deception and expectations just don't seem close to reality at all

There is a wide gap between what we think/assume and the reality - Why those abroad definitely have to 'feel good' or better off to maintain that longstanding momentum which makes others in Nigeria feel there are missing 'everything'

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 11:40pm On Jul 09, 2023
I have spent few years outside of the country, Currently in Nigeria

People deserve to be informed in this day and age

Not just travel and get shocked when that reality dawns on them

I wont be talking about abroad, as I have not toured many countries

I will be dwell majorly on the UK - which is a popular destination because it is a country I have lived in

4 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 11:59pm On Jul 09, 2023
Average Salary in the UK = £2,000

Amount paid into account is without tax, at least 20% already deducted by HRMC

20% of £2000 is £400

So average pay is £2000-£400 = £1600

I used £2000 as average, Bear in mind, many still do not earn that average - below average is a stark reality as well

4 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:04am On Jul 10, 2023
Rent is paid on a monthly basis, not annually as we do here

Salary of a few months might easily be equivalent of ANNUAL RENT here in Naija

Monthly Rent ranges depending on the location, however a minimum range still lies between £700-800

That's a significant chunk of whatever take-home you get

I am not being NEGATIVE - Just some blunt information to control expectation and optimism

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:07am On Jul 10, 2023
When you work hard for money, being paid on hourly basis - be guaranteed there's no catching fun, casual gisting or phone pressing - IT'S WORK and WORK.

I tell you Jack can real become a dull boy abroad, No one really cares about Play per sey but You must work

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:09am On Jul 10, 2023
Abroad is not for lazy people at all

If you are lazy and don't braze up - There seems to be only 1 option abroad

It's an outright straight option - FRAUD

But then, there is also an option for SMART PEOPLE who are able to apply skills

As I said, I am not here to discourage - Just sharing some Reality information IMO

6 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:12am On Jul 10, 2023
If you have a handjob or skill

Tailoring, Barbing, Cooking, Hair dressing, MC, Selling of african home made stuff

Abroad is the Promised land

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:13am On Jul 10, 2023
What about doctors, nurses etc ?

I am a doctor ?
So calm down,

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:23am On Jul 10, 2023
UK people are stingy, US people are generous

Please don't join in that generalisation

Whoever is willing and can afford to will do so

There can be a stingy one based in USA and a generous philanthropist based in that 'stingy' UK

People suffer 'odd' jobs to earn a living just to survive

Disengage from that very distasteful 'entitlement' mindset of expectation from those abroad

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:25am On Jul 10, 2023
SOCIAL MEDIA goes further to make Japa feel like the best thing to happen to anyone,

Reality is mostly hidden from Social media

Packaging has been a thing long before now

7 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:27am On Jul 10, 2023
UK has been packaging schools to milk foreign students for years, for all those thousands of Pounds - would you get value for money or just feel good within yourself and regard it as achievement.

what are the chances of a job after studies - Still quite slim

Odd jobs remain available to everyone who just wants to survive

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:31am On Jul 10, 2023
A small sachet of Alabukun, could be seen as precious Gold

it could be sold for as high as £10, Yes ALABUKUN

it's an african product not on the shelf of Supermarkets all across the streets of UK

The value is higher abroad.......not to be compared with price in Naira

Milo......... is the Tea most of us we know, nothing really comes close, not even Bournvita,
I think Nesquick comes close, but also does not come cheap at all

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:33am On Jul 10, 2023
Haircut would cost at least £20

Plating hair could cost a minimum of £60

Please don't tag people who work for money as stingy - Not fair in anyway at all
They must be sensible with their spending by default

It's an AUTOMATIC RESET

5 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:35am On Jul 10, 2023
GBP - Pound notes are never sprayed, NEVER EVER

It' s rather even converted to dollar notes for spraying purposes
Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:37am On Jul 10, 2023
THE UK is a very conservative country, things are absolutely of necessity, Its a demanding culture

The US is more liberal and social.

Americans are loud, big houses, big cars

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:40am On Jul 10, 2023
I discovered my business sense in the UK, a skill I never even knew was within

E-Commerce right at the peak of Covid 19 - It was a lifechanging experience

Knowing how to make money is a SKILL, which is big deal

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:43am On Jul 10, 2023
When nigerians meet frequently - 90% and more of their discussions is about Nigeria.

Home is where the heart is

Those abroad are even more current than those living in Nigeria

No jokes at all, they know what's up

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:45am On Jul 10, 2023
Coming home is a 'feel good' vibe to Nigerians abroad

The Careworker, HCA, Cleaner, Security officer feels big in home surrounding at least on for some time being before the return back to full time hustle

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:47am On Jul 10, 2023
Abroad people, pls feel free to counter me ooooo

I say it as it's in my view, No additives

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:49am On Jul 10, 2023
One of the biggest surprises I had was a Nigerian telling me about the business of combining a Carwash and a small kiosk where people can chill, take a few drinks with Asun etc.

People abroad seem to even see the opportunities more around us in Nigeria, while those around the opportunities just complain as a daily routine

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 12:53am On Jul 10, 2023
If you have to live abroad and survive, you must work

For you to work, You must behave yourself

If you have no self-discipline, You are walking into an open trap

A nigerian told me once in London that ''Nigerian men are closer to heaven abroad because the laws of the land makes them behave'' lol

I am a nigerian man, that's one of the funniest things i have ever heard

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 1:00am On Jul 10, 2023
Why did I return back to Nigeria ?

I still need some fresh air, in a relaxed atmosphere

The trains in London, wait for no 1 - The only day the trains do not work is December 25
Every other day, It has a vital role in taking people to work to ensure work is almost non-stop

It's a common sight to see people chase trains to meet their start time at work - They are paid per hour, not just some civil service jobs where people literally just go to office late to watch movies and gist.

Do we even chase buses in Nigeria? Nah

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by freemindcity: 2:51am On Jul 10, 2023
Dey play
Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Hopez456(m): 4:08am On Jul 10, 2023
Ekitibiased:
GBP - Pound notes are never sprayed, NEVER EVER

It' s rather even converted to dollar notes for spraying purposes
You're right, why is it so?
Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by tommy589(m): 6:32am On Jul 10, 2023
Japa is for the young

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 7:04am On Jul 10, 2023
Going abroad must be with a Plan and purpose

It's not about......when I get there - what you see is not what you get.

I am an introvert, but I tell anyone - Being an introvert abroad can be your undoing.

People network can be crucial to your success abroad

Information shared to you directly might just not be on the Internet

FACT

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 7:06am On Jul 10, 2023
Abroad life is a lock down life, You step out to work 98% of the time.

Those in Yankee find time to chill inspite of all which is good for their sanity
Pressure from work is crazy.

Some people age faster abroad despite the weather, it's work stress majorly

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by jmoore(m): 7:22am On Jul 10, 2023
/
Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Gottiii: 9:08am On Jul 10, 2023
Nice thread, OP

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Feeling Depressed And Sad / OMG!!! Freshly Born Twins Found At A Refuse Dump In Onitsha!! / BB And Electronic Gadgets Are Destroying Our Young Generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.