Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

What Should Know As You Consider Japa - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Should Know As You Consider Japa (1366 Views)

Men, Would You Consider Being Househusbands? / Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by ATEAMS: 9:13am On Jul 10, 2023
Highly insightful and blunt ..

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:19am On Jul 10, 2023
Abroad is perfectly tailored to suit a couple.....yes a couple

2 adults pulling resources together, with a clear plan

They would achieve so much more with less time

The head of the family does not shoulder 90% of responsibility, that's self-destruction mode.

It's shared responsibility

Single mums would struggle

You are worse off leaving Nigeria as single person and hoping to find someone later

Those abroad try hard to come home to pick, unfortunately the dating pool is over messed up right now. Good resources are badly scarce

Ladies wanna escape this continent as well, Self interests hidden under pretence

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:22am On Jul 10, 2023
JAPA ....... is not greener pastures

It means there is no trace of green in Nigeria anymore

My interpretation of JAPA is go and never return back
It is like telling people to burn their passport on once you get to your destination.

It's a very wrong narrative pushed by limited information and education

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:26am On Jul 10, 2023
A Nigerian in the UK about 3 years ago told me about planning to set up a combination of car wash business with a small space where people take a few drinks, Asun etc.

It blew my mind

He told me, "I only live and work here but 80% of my money is made in Nigeria"

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:30am On Jul 10, 2023
Asians especially Indians and Pakistanis have achieved so much with their togetherness abroad and the years of such has resulted in a UK prime minister of Asian origin, Rishi Sunak.

Scotland's Prime minister is also of Asian origin

Bad Belleville and pull him down still exists among Africans abroad, it's way too bad.

7 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:32am On Jul 10, 2023
UK life is a predictable boring triangle

Home > Work > Church

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:38am On Jul 10, 2023
Many students will not recoup their fees, Rent would steadily take a chunk of their earnings.

20hrs of work alone during academic sessions, would not yield much significant returns with monthly rent payment. DON'T FALL PREY THAT YOU CAN HUSTLE,
BE RATIONAL

At the end of end of the day afterms thousands of pounds or millions of Nairn, it's the menial jobs that keep smiling and wanting to embrace your survival.

White collar jobs dey, but Good luck with thathe

Grace exists not luck

Prepare your mind

Don't be deceived by travel agents who have never even boarded a plane for a local flight.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:41am On Jul 10, 2023
Student Visa is easy to get ?

Because you are a source of income to sustain institutions

Those Universities cannot survive without foreign students
Foreign students pay double fees of the locals

If you have to leave your country to study, you must have deep pockets lol

Few northerners wey dey go study for UK no dey work
The money dey, no be for hustle

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:45am On Jul 10, 2023
Childcare is very expensive

Raising kids is 10 times harder abroad

As you Japa because of their future, Deal with the reality of a western culture, influence and atmosphere.

Your home is not an embassy that's the reality

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:46am On Jul 10, 2023
Have a cautious realistic optimism not outright disconnect from true reality

4 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by zed7: 9:49am On Jul 10, 2023
Very, very honest write up. These are the the kind of threads we need, not the constant war between diasporans and those here. Choose your poison but know your poison.

5 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:52am On Jul 10, 2023
Timaya released a song which featured Olamide

Telli Person - all about Hushpuppi

The impression was a diss track

In the end, what happened-Hushpuppi eventually ended up in jail and is still behind bars

Don't ignore information, it's not about the messenger - it's about the message

6 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 10:11am On Jul 10, 2023
Know what is at stake and what it entails

It has no guarantees

Play safe, make an informed decision

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2023
Check out Phrankleen on Youtube, lots of videos sharing stories of several nigerians who have moved to the UK

Reality checks, true life stories and big lessons

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Aaaaarghmed(m): 3:36pm On Jul 10, 2023
Ekitibiased:
SOCIAL MEDIA goes further to make Japa feel like the best thing to happen to anyone,

Reality is mostly hidden from Social media

Packaging has been a thing long before now
very correct about this,u snap for snow,person go think say you don make am.so annoying.person dey tell me congrats say I don Japa.congrats for what, when cold wan kill me.just because am not in Nigeria ,someone is asking for my assistance for wedding ceremony.me wey never reach 5 months.Imagine,when I have things to sort.i did not even reply the message yet.because if I reply now,I will say hurtful word.so I go chill,till my head calm

5 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 8:12am On Jul 11, 2023
Going abroad has turned out to be a rat race for many, you would rarely hear such stories.

It becomes an endless self-defeating pursuit of Happiness

4 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 8:14am On Jul 11, 2023
Going abroad and having nothing to show for it makes returning home something to not even think about.

This could even cause Depression and it really does.

Some literally work till they drop dead

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 8:17am On Jul 11, 2023
Having grandmothers come around to live with couples and help with babies is a routine African tradition.

When you are abroad, it is a saving Grace - that special priviledge allows parents to continue to earn living and still save, or else it becomes a hole in the pocket and this has implications for sure

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 8:50am On Jul 11, 2023
I lived in London for free, for 2 years
Accommodated by my uncle

Yes I never paid Rent for once

I had a professional role in the NHS, I had locum roles across North London
I worked for a Russian-Owned private healthcare company

I didn't work as a doctor but very well I added to my skillset, my CV is packaged

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 8:52am On Jul 11, 2023
It took me 6 months to get my first job, a company that even wanted to sponsor my visa.

I did have a training within a week abroad, my uncle already encouraged me on a job role that had prospects and encouraged me not to do just any jobs . Menial jobs are all over......always available and in demany.

I was on a study visa

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:02am On Jul 11, 2023
Returning to Nigeria is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I had opportunities even my uni wanted to extend my visa due to limitations caused by Covid lock down.

I left the job that could sponsor me for a work visa, Yes on my own terms. I was more than qualified for the job, so I was cheap labour and they only needed me to be desperate to remain in the country after my studies.
Unfortunately, I wasn't desperate at all to remain.

I was on a basic wage, barely £13 per hour, which is literally like £10.4per hour as take home.

My line manager was even talking about increasing my pay, I walked away without looking back.

I literally was doing a lot of work and even clearing the backlog and incompetencies of others.

Worst of it all I was being pushed beyond my stipulated 20hrs as a student during semester sessions. I rejected such overtime, that was so shocking to my line manager

3 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:03am On Jul 11, 2023
Surprised I was not taking more and more work, Nah not me

I am someone who gets my job done, and very casually too

I am not the type to work with speed or rush, but I would get my work done casual and carefree - it's just my nature

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:08am On Jul 11, 2023
Extra work is sometimes just more tax for the government, not necessarily more money into your account.

Higher income attracts higher tax

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 9:13am On Jul 11, 2023
Do I still plan to travel

YES of course

My closest friends remain abroad, more so in the UK.

The only country I still think of moving to settle in the nearest future is the UK

It's a tough country no doubts, I am only trying to finalise my plans which is literally multiple sources of income and more especially a passive income.

This might just one of many

This is a preview for Infopreneurship.

I write a lot of time and with relative ease, I also tutor online

So I am testing and pushing my skills

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Aaaaarghmed(m): 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ekitibiased:
Do I still plan to travel

YES of course

My closest friends remain abroad, more so in the UK.

The only country I still think of moving to settle in the nearest future is the UK

It's a tough country no doubts, I am only trying to finalise my plans which is literally multiple sources of income and more especially a passive income.

This might just one of many

This is a preview for Infopreneurship.

I write a lot of time and with relative ease, I also tutor online

So I am testing and pushing my skills
what do you tutor online.I am also training to become a tutor.

1 Like

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 11:48pm On Jul 13, 2023
The UK has a special unique expertise in making money

New update is increase in Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) fees and visa fees

They would raise at least £1 biliion from that decision

Proof of funds getting the job done and putting people on the brink, next to nothing when they eventually elope

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 1:53am On Jul 14, 2023
America is the land of milk and honey

But they forget to tell you that 'The honey is not sweet and the milk is very expensive'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Ekitibiased(m): 4:12pm On Jul 14, 2023
This is the common bait now

We just don't tell ourselves the truth - People pay so much to go and do this ...WOW

Bank employees helping people with POF are definitely making a killing no doubt

2 Likes

Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by ealtutu: 9:26pm On Jul 14, 2023
Ekitibiased:
This is the common bait now

We just don't tell ourselves the truth - People pay so much to go and do this ...WOW

Bank employees helping people with POF are definitely making a killing no doubt
very good write up.
Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:16pm On Jul 14, 2023
Ekitibiased:
UK life is a predictable boring triangle

Home > Work > Church

its like that becoz people over work to send money back home fail to have fun while here
Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by Kemadealadire(f): 8:12am On Jul 15, 2023
Hmmn.
Re: What Should Know As You Consider Japa by EriMma1: 8:34am On Jul 15, 2023
Ekitibiased:
Abroad is perfectly tailored to suit a couple.....yes a couple

2 adults pulling resources together, with a clear plan

They would achieve so much more with less time

The head of the family does not shoulder 90% of responsibility, that's self-destruction mode.

It's shared responsibility

Single mums would struggle

You are worse off leaving Nigeria as single person and hoping to find someone later

Those abroad try hard to come home to pick,

True @bold.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wife Is Lesbian / What Thread Did You Miss The Most After The Nairaland Tsunami? / What Do I Get For My Dad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.