Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,683 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) (803 Views)

Record-Breaking Rainfall Hits Spain, Triggers Floods (Video, Pictures) / Whites Kneel Before Blacks To Beg For Forgiveness For Years Of Racism In Houston / Macdonald In China Apologizes For Saying Blacks Not Allowed In Their Restaurant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Kseeker: 4:51am On Jul 10, 2023
A terrible and bloody Civil War freed enslaved Americans. The Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution (1868) granted African Americans the rights of citizenship. However, this did not always translate into the ability to vote. Black voters were systematically turned away from state polling places. To combat this problem, Congress passed the Fifteenth Amendment in 1870. It says:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Yet states still found ways to circumvent the Constitution and prevent blacks from voting. Poll taxes, literacy tests, fraud and intimidation all turned African Americans away from the polls. Until the Supreme Court struck it down in 1915, many states used the "grandfather clause " to keep descendents of slaves out of elections. The clause said you could not vote unless your grandfather had voted -- an impossibility for most people whose ancestors were slaves.

This unfair treatment was debated on the street, in the Congress and in the press. A full fifty years after the Fifteenth Amendment passed, black Americans still found it difficult to vote, especially in the South." What a Colored Man Should Do to Vote", lists many of the barriers African American voters faced.

The fight for African American suffrage raged on for decades. In the 1930s one Georgia man described the situation this way: "Do you know I've never voted in my life, never been able to exercise my right as a citizen because of the poll tax? ... I can't pay a poll tax, can't have a voice in my own government."

Many brave and impassioned Americans protested, marched, were arrested and even died working toward voting equality. In 1963 and 1964, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. brought hundreds of black people to the courthouse in Selma, Alabama to register. When they were turned away, Dr. King organized and led protests that finally turned the tide of American political opinion. In 1964 the Twenty-fourth Amendment prohibited the use of poll taxes. In 1965, the Voting Rights Act directed the Attorney General to enforce the right to vote for African Americans.

The 1965 Voting Rights Act created a significant change in the status of African Americans throughout the South. The Voting Rights Act prohibited the states from using literacy tests and other methods of excluding African Americans from voting. Prior to this, only an estimated twenty-three percent of voting-age blacks were registered nationally, but by 1969 the number had jumped to sixty-one percent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEEm0Be7H8

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Thundafireseun: 4:59am On Jul 10, 2023
if you ask me… I feel blacks shouldn’t be allowed to vote anywhere in the world….
Either in Africa, USA, Europe, Asia

We know how to create a problem where there is none…
I’m using Nigeria as a case study
angry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Kseeker: 5:44am On Jul 10, 2023
onez:
Those Yoruba ronu don't deserve to vote. They are extreme tribalist and one of the problems of modern Nigeria.

What's all these unnecessary thing please ? Can you just stop this unnecessary troval nonsense for once ?

1 Like

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Obinwenite(m): 6:20am On Jul 10, 2023
There is no difference between what was done in uS in 1965 and what happened in Lagos during election?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by jaeyking(m): 6:35am On Jul 10, 2023
The heading should be

Blacks could not vote in the US until 1965

1 Like

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Joey4321: 7:00am On Jul 10, 2023
1965 wasn't so long ago
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 7:04am On Jul 10, 2023
Obinwenite:
There is no difference between what was done in uS in 1965 and what happened in Lagos during election?.

Ode.

Blacks were not the only ones refused to vote .

You had to pass an IQ test before you could vote and many southern Hicks were also barred from voting after failing it.

Even women, no matter their standing in society were barred from voting and for good reason as women vote without their brains.

The reason Diaper Joe is in office surrounded by Tiny hat tribesmen is because Niggers with the iQ and responsibility of a randy goat plus women with their heads up in the sky voted for him .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 7:07am On Jul 10, 2023
Joey4321:
1965 wasn't so long ago

But it feels like another era.

With the liberalisation of voting, Americans voted for sodomy and child diddling.

Not everyone in society should hold such responsibility.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 7:08am On Jul 10, 2023
Obinwenite:

Aboki took a trailer ride back to their northern enclave to do their civic duty.

Why did you not return to your Goshen to vote instead of remaining in Lagos to vote Shinedu?
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Joey4321: 7:09am On Jul 10, 2023
AntiZikist:

But it feels like another epoch.

With the liberalisation of voting, Americans voted for sodomy and child diddling.

Not everyone in society should hold such responsibility.

Fundamentals should be changed, not freedom.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by grandstar(m): 7:11am On Jul 10, 2023
Kseeker:

What's all these unnecessary thing please ? Can you just stop this unnecessary troval nonsense for once ?

What's funny is that Igbo slaves were taken to America in large number. About 60% of African Americans today have some traits of Igbo blood.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by ZitaMall: 7:12am On Jul 10, 2023
AntiZikist:

Ode.

You had to pass an IQ test before you could vote and many southern Hicks were also barred from voting after failing it.

Even women, no matter their standing in society were barred from voting and for good reason as women vote without their brains.

The reason Diaper Joe is in office surrounded by Tiny hat tribesmen is because Niggers with the iQ and responsibility of a randy goat plus women with their heads up in the sky voted for him .

If only we could stop the illiterate north from voting.

Some blacks could vote but they had to be educated enough. The problem in Nigeria is we allow the illiterate north that can't think vote monsters on the instructions of their imams
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Cassandraloius: 7:15am On Jul 10, 2023
In my honest opinion, blacks cannot rule themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Cooletempa: 7:16am On Jul 10, 2023
Thundafireseun:
if you ask me… I feel blacks shouldn’t be allowed to vote anywhere in the world….

angry

Inferiority complex is a sign of degenerative mental illness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 7:16am On Jul 10, 2023
Joey4321:

Fundamentals should be changed, not freedom.

Don't understand what you wrote .

But even the Greeks who invented and practiced Democracy never gave everyone the right to vote .

Women
Children
Slaves
Criminals
Vagabonds
Aliens

Should not have the right to vote

America did not barr blacks from voting as this useless OP is trying to insinuate but rather had a literacy test that must be passed before one could be allowed to vote .

If blacks did not vote until 1965, how come there were elected Black Senators and Reps almost immediately after the civil war ?

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by kettykings: 7:17am On Jul 10, 2023
AntiZikist:

Ode.

.is this not Tinubu's profile you just analyzed?
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 7:18am On Jul 10, 2023
ZitaMall:

If only we could stop the illiterate north from voting.

Some blacks could vote but they had to be educated enough. The problem in Nigeria is we allow the illiterate north that can't think vote monsters on the instructions of their imams

The Okoro yeast is far worse as they are dangerously half educated and are a hostile people to Nigeria.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by ZitaMall: 7:24am On Jul 10, 2023
AntiZikist:

The Okoro yeast is far worse as they are dangerously half educated and are a hostile people to Nigeria.

On the contrary they are the ones that refuse money to vote. Unlike other regions. Stop the tribalism.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 7:28am On Jul 10, 2023
ZitaMall:

On the contrary they are the ones that refuse money to vote. Unlike other regions. Stop the tribalism.

Have you heard of voter inducement in the north ?

That's only a SW thing.

You can see northern politics in play at the highest level of debate as their senators and reps only key into discussions that promote their region.

Is that the case of the eve ready for hire Ibo senators who only take on issues that they have been financially induced to support or oppose.

Leave the north . The problem with our democracy lies in the south.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Ikaeniyan0: 7:30am On Jul 10, 2023
Thundafireseun:

angry
Speak for yourself and family alone
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by limeta(f): 7:32am On Jul 10, 2023
Votes don't count in Nigeria
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by MadamExcellency: 7:37am On Jul 10, 2023
And in 2023, Igbos can't vote in Lagos State. Registering for a Voters Card is still a herculean task for non-indigenes in highly overcharged urban centres and neighbourhoods.

1 Like

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 7:52am On Jul 10, 2023
MadamExcellency:
And in 2023, Igbos can't vote in Lagos State. Registering for a Voters Card is still a herculean task for non-indigenes in highly overcharged urban centres and neighbourhoods.

Is anyone registering to vote in your yeast ?

Go back to your yeast and leave other regions to its people.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Joey4321: 8:07am On Jul 10, 2023
AntiZikist:

Don't understand what you wrote .

But even the Greeks who invented and practiced Democracy never gave everyone the right to vote .

Women
Children
Slaves
Criminals
Vagabonds
Aliens

Should not have the right to vote

America did not barr blacks from voting as this useless OP is trying to insinuate but rather had a literacy test that must be passed before one could be allowed to vote .

If blacks did not vote until 1965, how come there were elected Black Senators and Reps almost immediately after the civil war ?

I never knew this.

Thank you for sharing this.

It seems like the black people (just like the igbos) need to let go of the victim mentality.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Ikaeniyan0: 8:09am On Jul 10, 2023
AntiZikist:

Have you heard of voter inducement in the north ?

Are you sure about this?
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 8:22am On Jul 10, 2023
Joey4321:

I never knew this.

Thank you for sharing this.

It seems like the black people (just like the igbos) need to let go of the victim mentality.

Black Americans are descended from Ibo slaves .
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by OKUCHI11(m): 9:04am On Jul 10, 2023
Cassandraloius:
this statement says it all... Colonialism should have continued

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Joey4321: 10:02am On Jul 10, 2023
AntiZikist:

Black Americans are descended from Ibo slaves .

Lol. I'm Igbo
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by AntiZikist: 10:07am On Jul 10, 2023
Joey4321:

Lol. I'm Igbo

That's a fact.

Vast majority of slaves transported to America were Ibo

All female slaves transported were Ibo.

70% of present day niggers have Ibo blood and it is obvious from their penchant for senseless violence and their criminal bent.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Helel(m): 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2023
Cooletempa:

Inferiority complex is a sign of degenerative mental illness.

Clown

Becos he said the truth.
Re: Blacks Could not Vote In USA Until 1965 (video &pictures) by Helel(m): 3:19pm On Jul 10, 2023
Cassandraloius:

200% true.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

"You Picked The Wrong Person" Malaysia PM To Critics On Palestine Support (video / No One Is Talking / Joe The Plumber Accepts Obama As President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.