Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,912 members, 7,835,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) (31891 Views)

Epe Youths Chase Herdsmen And Their Cows Out Of Their Town (Video) / Abuja Schools Shut Down As A Truckload Of Bandits Arrives Border Town / Smugglers Abandoned Their Bikes And Bags Of Rice In Ogun Bush (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by lexy2014: 6:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
grandstar:

As long as the price is fixed, the notion that the subsidy is gone is a myth as inflation for instance may call for the adjustment of the price in future.

So, if the price of oil was N10/litre in 1980 and at the time the oil minister was there was no more subsidy, will it mean if sold at 10 naira today, there is no subsidy?

That's not what I asked you.

How was it not "discernibly clear as it is now that the subsidy was costing humongous amounts of money to provide"?

In 2020, Mele Kyari said that fuel Subsidy was totally and completely removed. Which Fuel Subsidy are we still talking about again?
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by Lama70(m): 6:27pm On Jul 13, 2023
seunlayi:
This is what supposed to be since 2012 if they haven't opposed GEJ attempt to remove subsidy. Imagine how far we would have gone by now

They misinformed everybody, deceived everybody and here they are.
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by Segunlords(m): 6:28pm On Jul 13, 2023
You😀
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by nairalanda1(m): 6:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
Lama70:

They misinformed everybody, deceived everybody and here they are.

No, that did not happen.

In 1993, Nigerians opposed subsidy removal. Tinubu was virtually unknown then, and Buhari was silent about the matter.

In 2005, Nigerians opposed subsidy removal when it was mentioned (that was when one minister stated that fuel should not be cheaper than a bottle of Cocacola.). Tinubu and Buhari then said nothing.

It was not deception, and it is easy to think that Tinubu and Buhari decieved Nigerians...but the truth is, even if Tinubu and Buhari came out to support subsidy removal in 2012, Nigerians would have abused them along with GEJ.

God knows I am not defending both Tinubu and Buhari, but the fact is, Nigerians then, and even now, have mostly opposed subsidy removal.
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by BJanta: 6:39pm On Jul 13, 2023
seunlayi:
This is what supposed to be since 2012 if they haven't opposed GEJ attempt to remove subsidy. Imagine how far we would have gone by now

Would GEJ have been able to handle what would have been the backlash? Definitely absolute no.
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by Lama70(m): 6:40pm On Jul 13, 2023
nairalanda1:

No, that did not happen.

In 1993, Nigerians opposed subsidy removal. Tinubu was virtually unknown then, and Buhari was silent about the matter.

In 2005, Nigerians opposed subsidy removal when it was mentioned (that was when one minister stated that fuel should not be cheaper than a bottle of Cocacola.). Tinubu and Buhari then said nothing.

It was not deception, and it is easy to think that Tinubu and Buhari decieved Nigerians...but the truth is, even if Tinubu and Buhari came out to support subsidy removal in 2012, Nigerians would have abused them along with GEJ.

God knows I am not defending both Tinubu and Buhari, but the fact is, Nigerians then, and even now, have mostly opposed subsidy removal.

I guess you're making a point. They started cashing out big time when Nigerians protested it's removal. You are very right.
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by Crvrider: 6:53pm On Jul 13, 2023
Fuel subsidy that would have been a done deal 12years ago if only they allowed GEJ.
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by Crvrider: 6:56pm On Jul 13, 2023
BJanta:

Would GEJ have been able to handle what would have been the backlash? Definitely absolute no.

And how is Tinubu handling it, by giving 500bn? [hiss]
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by broadman20: 7:02pm On Jul 13, 2023
Antiurchins:
If they have allowed GEJ to remove subsidy in 2012 by now we should be looking at N300 NNPC price.

Do you know the weird thing about Nigerians? The suffering they endured under Buhari and they are willing to endure BAT they won't endure it under GEJ or any Igbo man as President. A lot of people enjoyed under GEJ yet they tagged him an Igbo man and cursed the hell out of him. As if na Igbo man spoil Nigeria.

Blame this on Yorubas, those people are the most slippery kind of people created by God.

If Tinubu is not a Yoruba man, they would have been causing lots of trouble in this country by now but you will never see them do that but rather they will be grumbling inside crying deeply.

God will disgrace most of them for what they have supported wrongly in Nigeria in time past.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by bitingcool: 7:27pm On Jul 13, 2023
tetralogyfallot:
When Nigeria sneezes the whole west Africa catches cold!

na this useless statement you still dey use carry shoulder. like it's an achievement..check your pocket. when last did YOU sneeze. be fooling yourself there.
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by grandstar(m): 7:28pm On Jul 13, 2023
lexy2014:

That's not what I asked you.

How was it not "discernibly clear as it is now that the subsidy was costing humongous amounts of money to provide"?

The very bad state of the economy under Buhari exposed the underbelly of the subsidy.

With the government spending up to 100% of revenues financing debt, the need to cut spending to prevent further accumulation of debt became a must.

That was when it became obvious that the subsidy was a primary reason for the country's growing unsustainable debt and also its servicing.

lexy2014:

In 2020, Mele Kyari said that fuel Subsidy was totally and completely removed. Which Fuel Subsidy are we still talking about again?

In June 2023, the price of crude oil average 47 cents per litre. I multiplied that by the official exchange rate at time (early June) of 461 and I got N217 per litre. Meanwhile, the price of of petrol was selling at 185 officially if I am correct. That means petrol was selling cheaper than the crude oil used to refine it.

If I chose to use the official rate later in the month of around 700, you will get 329. If the official price is 185, is there a subsidy?

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by DAREH13: 7:45pm On Jul 13, 2023
seanfer:

If GEJ really mean business back then. No amount of protest would have made him return the subsidy.

twas like you're still sucking breast or you"re myopic then the protest that last 4 almst a month holding on daily basis across the country

pple that attended endsars protest are just 0.8% compared 2012 nationwide protest

had it bn that GEJ took any bold step then the country wud av bn turnd upside down
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by lexy2014: 8:06pm On Jul 13, 2023
grandstar:

In June 2023, the price of crude oil average 47 cents per litre. I multiplied that by the official exchange rate at time (early June) of 461 and I got N217 per litre. Meanwhile, the price of of petrol was selling at 185 officially if I am correct. That means petrol was selling cheaper than the crude oil used to refine it.

If I chose to use the official rate later in the month of around 700, you will get 329. If the official price is 185, is there a subsidy?

How does all the above answer the question?

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by lexy2014: 8:10pm On Jul 13, 2023
grandstar:

The very bad state of the economy under Buhari exposed the underbelly of the subsidy.

With the government spending up to 100% of revenues financing debt, the need to cut spending to prevent further accumulation of debt became a must.

That was when it became obvious that the subsidy was a primary reason for the country's growing unsustainable debt and also its servicing.

How bad was the state of the economy?

How did that expose the underbelly of the subsidy?

How is fuel subsidy responsible for government spending almost 100% of revenue on debt servicing?

How was the fuel Subsidy responsible for nigerias growing unsustainable debt and also its servicing?

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by grandstar(m): 8:24pm On Jul 13, 2023
lexy2014:

How does all the above answer the question?

King Solomon said "The naive person believes every word, But the shrewd one ponders each step." Are you naive or shrewd? Did you believe every word of Meles Kyari

Please go through the article below

https://www.dataphyte.com/latest-reports/extractive/much-ado-about-subsidy-what-it-means-and-why-nigerians-should-care/

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by lexy2014: 8:28pm On Jul 13, 2023
grandstar:

King Solomon said "The naive person believes every word, But the shrewd one ponders each step." Are you naive or shrewd? Did you believe every word of Meles Kyari

Please go through the article below

https://www.dataphyte.com/latest-reports/extractive/much-ado-about-subsidy-what-it-means-and-why-nigerians-should-care/

If your article truly holds the answer to my question, then u would have absolutely no problems answering my question.

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by atobs4real(m): 8:31pm On Jul 13, 2023
lexy2014:

You were emphatic that fuel subsidy removal has been disaster to neighboring countries.

Has fuel Subsidy Removal been a blessing to Nigeria? Yes or no
Yes.
Waiting for the impact on the society at large
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by DAREH13: 8:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
lexy2014:

Is it because fuel subsidy wasn't removed in 2012 that nigeria doesn't have "more industries, good roads, and many other developments"?

Between 1960 and 2012, nigeria was paying subsidy. How was nigeria able to build stadia, build Lagos and Abuja, build refineries, all it's infrastructure or has till date and sponsor ECOMOG?

How has Nigeria moved forward since the removal of subsidy on kerosene and diesel?

Mele Kyari said fuel subsidy was totally removed in 2020. Which subsisdy did Tinubu now remove again?
those that worked wt buhari knw his weakness that once they bring forth any doc to him 4 approval he sign them wit no understanding that's why those pple esp in petrol sector took the advantage nd started padding the subsidy
imagine from 2005-2013 subsidy was less than #300bn btw 2014-2018 subsidy was less than #900bn saraki's effect as S.P then, but btw 2021-2023 subsidy was over #9trn who is fooling who
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by lexy2014: 8:36pm On Jul 13, 2023
atobs4real:

Yes.
Waiting for the impact on the society at large

If you say yes, how has it been a blessing to nigerians?

If you say it has been a blessing to nigerians, how are you now waiting for it to impact on the society at large?
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by grandstar(m): 8:42pm On Jul 13, 2023
lexy2014:

If your article truly holds the answer to my question, then u would have absolutely no problems answering my question.

Can't you think for yourself? Must you live and die based on what Meles Kyari said.

There are people who make billions leaving off mistakes government makes. In 2020, when Buhari failed to end the subsidies and most importantly deregulate the price as Tinubu did, I was seething with anger because I knew when the international price of oil rose again, the government would have to start subsidizing again.

While you believed Mele Kyari statement, not everyone was deceived.

And anyway, the article did say that the existence of a subsidy depended on the prevailing price of crude oil at anytime. Why did you choose to ignore that fact?

Imagine if the price of crude oil is $10 per barrel, the price of petrol is $12 per barrel. At $10 per

Supposing the price is now $60 per barrel, do you expect the petrol to sell at $12?

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by Dsimmer: 8:44pm On Jul 13, 2023
See the people who dey smuggle our oil
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by lexy2014: 8:44pm On Jul 13, 2023
grandstar:

Can't you think for yourself? Must you live and die based on what Meles Kyari said.

There are people who make billions leaving off mistakes government makes. In 2020, when Buhari failed to end the subsidies and most importantly deregulate the price as Tinubu did, I was seething with anger because I knew when the international price of oil rose again, the government would have to start subsidizing again.

And anyway, the article did say that the existence of a subsidy depended on the prevailing price of crude oil at anytime. Why did you choose to ignore that fact?

Imagine if the price of crude oil is $10 per barrel, the price of petrol is $12 per barrel. At $10 per

Supposing the price is now $60 per barrel, do you expect the petrol to sell at $12?

Since you you think for yourself and you don't live and die based on what Meles Kyari said, then you shouldn't have any problems answering my simple question.

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by tetralogyfallot(m): 9:00pm On Jul 13, 2023
bitingcool:

na this useless statement you still dey use carry shoulder. like it's an achievement..check your pocket. when last did YOU sneeze. be fooling yourself there.
I can see that hunger is seriously in the land! It's really cool biting u as I can see even from your monicker
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by teeytimi: 9:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
lexy2014:

How is fuel subsidy removal the best for all Nigerians?

How have the "removal" of subsidy on kerosene and diesel benefitted nigerians?

How was this fuel getting to neighboring countries?

Which fuel Subsidy did Mele Kyari said was totally removed in 2020?

Which one did Tinubu remove in 2023?

Though I hate engaging people like you because whatever opinion you post is formed by political bias and lack of proper information, I wouldn't mind educating you on many areas.

Do you know subsidy gulp over $10billion per year 50% of which ends up in private pocket and smuggled fuel in to neighbouring countries.

It your likes that will be complaining of rising debts, government borrowing money up and down but when government takes steps to curb wastage many of your likes will still complain.

Do you know as of last budget, federal government was already borrowing money to repay borrowed funds all because we want to be bid brothers to neighbouring countries.

You spoke about how fuel is getting to neighbouring countries as if border is a locked room where no one can access unless they hold the key.

BTW, your almighty Obi also spoke about removing subsidy and you all cheered him on what has now changed.
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by Barcalee: 9:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
tetralogyfallot:
When Nigeria sneezes the whole west Africa catches cold!

😂😂😂
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by nairalanda1(m): 9:13pm On Jul 13, 2023
grandstar:

I don't usually do this, as I think it isn't cricket, but you better stop answering the guy you quoted.

He is not interested in an answer. He is interested in making you look unwise. That's his game, and he has time to play it.

Answer his question, with facts, the guy will repeatedly ignore the answer, or declare it rubbish, and ask his questions again.

Chide him for behaving like a troll, the guy will keep on repeating his questions again and again.

He wants subsidy to continue, and I don't blame him. He is angry that it is gone, and he regards subsidy removal supporters as government agents. So, he tries to make them look 'silly'

Best to ignore him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by atobs4real(m): 9:17pm On Jul 13, 2023
lexy2014:

If you say it has been a blessing to nigerians, how are you now waiting for it to impact on the society at large?
Nothing good comes with ease.
The country is far away gone under.
Somebody or someone will definitely rule us.
I believe in this government and hope for better Nigeria.
Thank you
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by lexy2014: 9:18pm On Jul 13, 2023
teeytimi:

Though I hate engaging people like you because whatever opinion you post is formed by political bias and lack of proper information, I wouldn't mind educating you on many areas.

Do you know subsidy gulp over $10billion per year 50% of which ends up in private pocket and smuggled fuel in to neighbouring countries.

It your likes that will be complaining of rising debts, government borrowing money up and down but when government takes steps to curb wastage many of your likes will still complain.

Do you know as of last budget, federal government was already borrowing money to repay borrowed funds all because we want to be bid brothers to neighbouring countries.

You spoke about how fuel is getting to neighbouring countries as if border is a locked room where no one can access unless they hold the key.

BTW, your almighty Obi also spoke about removing subsidy and you all cheered him on what has now changed.

Offpoint. Pls try again.

1. How is fuel subsidy removal the best for all Nigerians?

2. How have the "removal" of subsidy on kerosene and diesel benefitted nigerians?

3. How was this fuel getting to neighboring countries?

4. Which fuel Subsidy did Mele Kyari said was totally removed in 2020?

5. Which one did Tinubu remove in 2023?
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by lexy2014: 9:19pm On Jul 13, 2023
atobs4real:

Nothing good comes with ease.
The country is far away gone under.
Somebody or someone will definitely rule us.
I believe in this government and hope for better Nigeria.
Thank you

That isn't what I asked you

Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by Lucky5000(m): 9:23pm On Jul 13, 2023
Let them come and buy 1 Litre for N530 naira, 🤣

Just Imagine
Re: Subsidy Removal Hit Petrol Smugglers In Kusari Border Town (Video) by IbeOkehie: 9:53pm On Jul 13, 2023
nairalanda1:

But let's be honest, if GEJ had been bold and strong, if Nigerians had been more sensible in 2012, or even in 1993, by now, subsidy would have gone, and we would have been better for it.

Cheap fuel addiction brought us here.

You're a reasonable fellow. Please don't blame President Jonathan for anything. He saw a problem and presented a solution. I remember Ms Okonjo-Iweala shedding tears while begging Nigerians to understand the situation.

The only ones to blame are THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE who not only rejected the fuel subsidy plan, but ejected Jonathan from office in 2015....and instead elected a party that campaigned on the slogan "there is nothing like fuel subsidy".

All the suffering that has come upon Nigerians since Jan 2012 is well deserved.

This situation will favor the JAPA Family for sure.

Good Luck to Nigerians!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'Civilian JTF' Burn Suspected Boko-Haram Member Alive In Maiduguri / Wike Dances As G5 Governors Arrive Oyo For Makinde's Campaign / Primaries: Governor Offered Oshiomhole $500,000 Bribe In Cash - The Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.