Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security (39919 Views)

Anambra State Declares State Of Emergency On Illegal Structures And Shanties / Sanwo-Olu Declares State Of Emergency On Roads, Massive Rehabilitation Starts / Lagos Declares State Of Emergency On Bad Roads Across The State - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Germi9: 10:03pm On Jul 13, 2023
Audio food and water
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by slowice(m): 10:07pm On Jul 13, 2023
Beating about the bush..... No idea, no plan, nothing but noise.

So far he has performed very poorly, let's hope that it gets better
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by slowice(m): 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
PlayMaker14:
Is Tinubu still hitting the ground running?

Throwing money around with no strict policy plan and expected result is what you call ", hitting the ground running? E don run pass Terry g like this
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Rossikk(m): 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
LegendHero:

They are going to expand it. It’s in the report.

Most Nigerians are pessimists. No matter the policy created by government, their first response is to say 1000 reasons why it won’t be possible.

They are sick people.

The govt should just ignore them.

If they had declared emergency on something else, they would have said why didn't he declare emergency on food, with so much hunger and high cost of food in the land?

So just ignore them.

They're useless.

In any case, 99% of the critics are from the hole in a circle, so doubly useless.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by slowice(m): 10:14pm On Jul 13, 2023
redfuteh:

How much is your flash with movies
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by J3susFr3ak: 10:23pm On Jul 13, 2023
lexy2014:

How will the security architecture be changed to ensure farmers are protected from terrorists?

What is the present security architecture?

The aloof nonsensical bureaucratic heavily top-down approach sluggishly being executed at the moment from Abuja is clearly NOT WORKING!

Everything starts at the level of the grassroots...the communities affected.

You must have read the report about so-called "Bandits" killed by the Army in Mangu and some old IDs displayed.

But were they really bandits? Or vigilantes going about to help the local natives defend their lands.

Word from reliable sources said they were on their way to help the ordinary villagers in another remote location after receiving a distress call.

You see, when the IGP came out to say he supports Community Policing to assist the Police and other Law enforcement carry out their duties...did he expect the same Community Police to go about with sticks and stones to fight Fulani Terrorist with Ak47s??

So in a sense, you see the twisted irony of unfair expectations here. The Military and Police currently has NO WAY to clearly identify an armed local going about to fight for their lands yet common sense expects a normal human being to defend themselves against an armed invasion.

If the army and police cannot be everywhere at the same time--why not negotiate with the Governors of affected states to have designated Vigilantes and Community Police carry proper IDs as well as wield the sophisticated 4k47s and above--the same way these lunatic herdsmen do--so that they can properly defend the farmers at the time of critical need?
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by MoneyMustBMade(m): 10:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
Empty man with no vision
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Wisfem: 10:37pm On Jul 13, 2023
Misplaced priority.The same Chemical that has been causing havoc to the health of all Africans Since White Man Invention, what are we doing with fertilizer?? Bring a liter of fuel back to 50 naira, Return Dollar to 65 naira, Give every body Steady light, provide Security in Farmlands, Chase all Fulani headsmen away, These all we want from you not bag of chemicals...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by prophetfire: 10:43pm On Jul 13, 2023
blamingthedevil:
As part of measures of Stabilizing the Nation, President Bola Tinubu has unveiled the Comprehensive Intervention Plan for Food Security, Affordability, and Sustainability.

https://twitter.com/DOlusegun/status/1679545245506174976
. Buhari unveiled much more than that. Still na here Nigeria still dey .

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by EDOLUWA: 11:01pm On Jul 13, 2023
ganisucks:
This government don collapse. If you know, you know.

How? Please let us pray for Naija to be good and don't pray for her downfall. Or I don't get you??

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Kukutenla: 11:17pm On Jul 13, 2023
grandstar:
Due to my free market leanings, I don't feel too good about this.

"Food security" usually entails the country achieves "self sufficiency" in food it has no comparative advantage in like rice. This will mean the citizenry pay more for rice than it otherwise should. Since the primary cause of hunger isn't a lack of food but a lack of money, higher food prices does not help the poor.

Rather government should focus on food the nation has comparative advantage in and liberalizes imports of the others.

If the attention given to rice over the past 10 years was applied to foods the nation has comparative advantage in, I won't be surprised if earnings from food exports touch $10bn. Shea butter alone can earn the country $2bn. Cashew over $1bn and the list goes on.

Hmmm. This one tough o
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Godssplan: 11:23pm On Jul 13, 2023
I pray that Tinubu will not be a state of emergency president
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by crossbreedwears(m): 11:41pm On Jul 13, 2023
Major General Lagbaja soon to be a Lieutenant General is from south west. Maybe you're referring to Chief of Defense staff
MS247:
Fulani herdsmen better have sense

Tinubu made a NorthCentral man Chief of Army Staff for a reason
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by IbeOkehie: 11:49pm On Jul 13, 2023
This is a new subsidy fraud loading. Having destroyed the energy sector, the next is agriculture. I've been trying to tell people about this for years and finally it's coming true. I don't know why Bola Tinubu is obsessed with Commodity Boards.

“We shall create and support a National Commodity Board that will review and continuously assess food prices as well as maintain a strategic food reserve that will be used as a price stabilisation mechanism for critical grains and other food items. Through this board, government will moderate spikes and dips in food prices.

This is an absolute disaster in the making. Government involvement in food pricing is gonna cause big problems. I don't know how, I just know it's gonna be bad. Nigerians should be out on the streets protesting this because it won't work.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by MrAlhajinbaba: 12:23am On Jul 14, 2023
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by hakeemhakeem(m): 12:36am On Jul 14, 2023
MS247:
Fulani herdsmen better have sense

Tinubu made a NorthCentral man Chief of Army Staff for a reason

He is from south west osun state
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by kaywhy09(m): 12:46am On Jul 14, 2023
If I hear embarassed
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by hakeemhakeem(m): 12:46am On Jul 14, 2023
XerXers:

Chief of Army staff is from the coward region that lost Ilorin to fulani

Yen yen yen all their names and state were posted on this forum just last month, but because of bigotry you decide to post rubbish

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by grandstar(m): 12:53am On Jul 14, 2023
IbeOkehie:
This is a new subsidy fraud loading. Having destroyed the energy sector, the next is agriculture. I've been trying to tell people about this for years and finally it's coming true. I don't know why Bola Tinubu is obsessed with Commodity Boards.

This is an absolute disaster in the making. Government involvement in food pricing is gonna cause big problems. I don't know how, I just know it's gonna be bad. Nigerians should be out on the streets protesting this because it won't work.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Mexico has banned the importation of hibiscus plants from from Nigeria. Do you know why? Poor quality.

In the olden days when the country was very reliant on agric exports for forex earnings, the commodity boards ensured that quality of the produce were of high quality.

That is just one reason.

Whether the way they were structured then is practical today is another matter.

I personally speaking am not a fan of food self-sufficiency. It sounds magnificent on paper but it is a nightmare in practice.

Yes, why should we import food we can grow here? We should be self sufficient in it. We should also export it.

The arguments sound tasty the reality is different.

Over the past decade or so, the federal government has pumped untold billions into making Nigeria self sufficient in rice.

One would say the progress has been impressive. But what if the government decides to lift the 'ban' on rice imports? The country will be flooded with cheap rice and national production would collapse. Why? Because the country lacks comparative advantage in rice production.

Nigeria should instead focus on food it has comparative advantage in and liberalize import of food.

The primary cause of hunger isn't a lack of food. It is a lack of money. I have always wondered how making food or rice more expensive than it should actually help the poor?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Asswipemod: 1:40am On Jul 14, 2023
XerXers:

Benue, plateau, Kaduna, Niger Zamfara, Katsina, Sokoto, Kebbi are under occupation by non state actors and you want people back to farm? The only people going back to farm are Igbos, thank God for ESN. We are still packing huge money from tomato harvest

Somehow, you managed to weave your rants around IPOB and Igbo. Who cares if you harvested elephant scrotums? Na so dem take attention suffer you for baby?

2 Likes

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Asswipemod: 1:42am On Jul 14, 2023
XerXers:

Chief of Army staff is from the coward region that lost Ilorin to fulani

😩😩😩😩You will continue to wail and gnash your teeth while the rest of the country moves on. God go soon shame you. Children of hate!

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Asswipemod: 1:43am On Jul 14, 2023
jmoore:
What's the capacity of our food reserve?

If you know the paltry amount of grain in our food reserve, then you will laugh at this declaration.

You're not making any sense. I don't know why IQ is dropping like flies everywhere in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Asswipemod: 1:43am On Jul 14, 2023
Strafudeen:
For now you're the president. You're supported to do the job.
I hope you lose at the tribunal though, whole we're waiting for that. You're supported to do your job.

Small small, you don de change.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Asswipemod: 1:47am On Jul 14, 2023
Hisbah:
What do you do for a living? Are you a farmer?

We shall kill all you Fulani herdsmen and bandits and BH preventing farmers from farming because you want to replicate SS amnesty program in the North. Very evil and wicked set of people!

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by IbeOkehie: 1:49am On Jul 14, 2023
grandstar:

Us
Mexico has banned the importation of hibiscus plants from from Nigeria. Do you know why? Poor quality.

In the olden days when the country was very reliant on agric exports for forex earnings, the commodity boards ensured that quality of the produce were of high quality.

That is just one reason.

Whether the way they were structured then is practical today is another matter.

Sorry I disagree. I'm intimately familiar with the corruption of Commodity Boards when they existed. Let me give you an example based on the QUALITY argument you've put up here.

When Nigeria had commodity boards, they were the SOLE legal buyers of all their specified commodities and did enforce quality standards for say, cocoa. Cocoa beans would be ranked as A, B, or D grade or whatever the nomenclature was at the time, with highest price for A and lowest price for D.

What happened what the Commodity Board inspectors would take BRIBES from the farmers who presented "Grade D" beans, and record it as Grade B, thus giving the farmer a higher price than deserved. I'm sure you can follow all the trail of CORRUPTION & CONSEQUENCES that flowed from this. For whatever it's worth, the REAL REASON that Brazil, EU and others claim Nigerian products are below standard is to protect their domestic producers from competition. That's all, the EU in particular is a protectionist project and that is why it's economy is doesn't grown much and is not as innovative as the USA. The solution for Nigeria is to grow it's own consumer market using free market principles. There's no reason Nigerians can't prosper by selling to themselves and as they get better, the world will have to come begging to buy.

Another aspect of the Commodity Boards was their role as SOLE BUYER, no farmer could sell their produce to ANY OTHER PERSON or ENTITY except the Board, which also set the price. So the government would make money by setting a price of $100 per bag of cocoa and then export it to Europe at the world price of $300, earning the government a profit of $200. This was basic ROBBERY of the farmers by government. And of course many farmers reacted by SMUGGLING their cocoa to Benin or Ivory Coast to sell at world prices.

When Muhammadu Buhari was military President in 1984, he fought smuggling very tenaciously and many cocoa farmers went to prison for the crime of trying to sell their own produce to whomsoever they wished! That's ECONOMIC TYRANNY defined.

In case you didn't know, even though Bola Tinubu has been campaigning for Commodity Boards for at least 7 years now that I can recall, President Buhari started the process very recently, I think he couldn't go for the full thing because the National Assembly didn't pass a law -

https://punchng.com/fg-bans-foreign-firms-direct-dealing-with-farmers/

Read the article and weep. It's very, very bad. At the very least, these policies will create huge avenues for corruption, same as with all the other subsidized and government controlled sectors like university education, fuel, forex and whatever else. Another thing that ALWAYS comes from government control is SCARCITY. This won't be scarcity of FUEL or University education, this is gonna be scarcity of FOOD, as in this might result in FAMINE.

I only argue about what I know. I've been nervous that this policy will come and now it's here. This is going to be bad....very bad.

Good Luck to Nigerians!

3 Likes

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by Chidimalachy: 2:09am On Jul 14, 2023
This post is like beating a child and telling the child not to cry. The presidential media crew should do more.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by koribobo: 3:06am On Jul 14, 2023
Am a product and graphic designer. I make logo, banners ,flyers and can also build a website for your business.
You can contact me on 07038513753
Re: President Tinubu Declares State Of Emergency On Food Security by dappydozzy(m): 3:13am On Jul 14, 2023
Racoon:
Which farm? Same farm bandits have made a theatre of bloodshed & wanton killings? Even the catastrophic Buhari you venerated for 8 years have fled to London abandoning his unproductive cattle in Daura.He even claimed that he would relocate to his original country of Niger Republic is his brother here wants to disturb his life.

Does the Nigerian Army needs governors permission before they can carry their constitutional responsibility especially dealing with threat from any quarter?

Do you really know that this reckless statement by General Lagbaja is an indictment on him? Does the army report to the governors or president?

He never asked permission from state governors, dont twist the narrative, i think what he was just emphasizing synergy across board, if not the way this country is run, In the United States, the army cant just go and occupy a subnational, each subnational has its own strong institutions which are independent of the central authority. Each state has its own national guard which carries out the duty of protecting the terrority of each state, which also is one of the functions of a national army. An army general can never ask permission from governors, he is only emphasizing synergy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sad Day For Obasanjo - Bolanle Bolawole (Nigerian Tribune) / How Jonathan,Governors,Service Chiefs Prevailed On Tompolo To Shelve Meeting / Keyamo's Tweet In 2015 And 2019, Chibok Girls Vs Dapchi Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.