Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo (8962 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Clash Between Yorubas And Nupes In Kwara (Photos) / Fight Between Yorubas And Nupes Now Bloody, In Kwara State - Ebiraland. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by aloyemeka1: 10:22pm On Oct 06, 2011
This Hausa man has lived in Onitsha for 81 years
.Appeals to FG to fix roads in the South east
From DOM. EKPUNOBI, Onitsha
Wednesday, October 05, 2011

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/oct/5/sun/Mall20-5[1].jpg[/img]
Alhaji Baba Mallam

For Alhaji Baba Mallam, an Hausa man from Kano State, who has lived in Onitsha, Anambra State for 81 years, his people enjoyed the commercial city in the past than they do presently. Alhaji Mallam who says he has full Igbo identity, having spent 81 years of his 86-year sojourn on earth in Onitsha and speaks Igbo fluently, said in the past, the Hausas in Onitsha had attended the Ofalla festival with the natives and had formed bulk of the people, who attended the annual festival.

As a little child, Mallam who was coming with his parents to transact business in Onitsha and later travelled back to Kano had after six years of the journey settled down in Onitsha and had since continued to live in the town.
Alhaji Mallam whose wife hails from Ojoja in the old Eastern Region got 12 children from the marriage. Two of the children died and he is left with 10, who are now all married with their own children. Today he has about 46 grand children.

Even after most of his business partners have crossed over to the other side of the Niger and settled in Asaba, Delta State due to a problem they encountered some years back which resulted in loss of lives, he has refused to leave, but has continued with his onions and beans business at the Bridge Head Market, Onitsha.
His conviction is that Nigeria is one and belongs to all irrespective of tribe or religion and that any Nigerian could settle and carry out his business anywhere he or she wants.

Mallam who spoke with Daily Sun in an interview also looked at the Boko Haram menace. Excerpt:

Where exactly is your state of origin?
I come from Kano State in the former Northern Nigeria.

How long have you lived in Onitsha?
I came into Onitsha for the first time when I was six years. I came with my parents who were coming here on business trip from the North.

We were coming here to sell things and six years after that, I settled down in Onitsha and grew up here. At that time Onitsha was not developed at all.

What was Onitsha like when you came into the town?
Not many Igbos were living in Onitsha then. People were coming from the hinterland to buy things. Hausas and Nupes occupied all these areas where we are now.

Onitsha Main Market area was occupied by Hausas and there were just a few people in the town. We Hausas formed the bulk of those who used to attend the Ofalla Festival of Obi of Onitsha whenever there was one. We joined the indigenes to celebrate the festival. There was mutual love and understanding better than today.

What made you to live here in the past 80 years?
Igbos are hospitable people. Before the civil war, there was no problem and it did not matter where anybody came from. It was not until the war broke out that many Hausas deserted Onitsha.
I did not go because nobody knew where I come from. I was still moving around in Onitsha and when anybody confronted me, I told them I come from Benin. That was how I survived in Onitsha until I joined others to move right into Biafra city where I stayed until the war ended.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/oct/05/national-05-10-2011-0019.html
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by asha80(m): 10:25pm On Oct 06, 2011
is this supposed to be news?
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpia5: 12:07am On Oct 07, 2011
what a write up.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by naijaking1: 9:39am On Oct 07, 2011
In a normal society, this man should be 100% Onitsha man.
He could vote and be voted for any office in the city just like any other person.

2 Likes

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 07, 2011
The Name seems fake to me sha!!! My opinion anyway
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 07, 2011
Nonesense
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Ournaija: 10:09am On Oct 07, 2011
naijaking1:

He could vote and be voted for any office in the city just like any other person.

Gbam correct!

Unfortunately Naija way is always in the reverse.  grin
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by hbrednic: 10:12am On Oct 07, 2011
YES,mongo park discovered river niger because the place was inhabited by ET before his arrival.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by hardbody: 10:13am On Oct 07, 2011
As a little child, Mallam who was coming with his parents to transact business in Onitsha and later travelled back to Kano had after six years of the journey settled down in Onitsha and had since continued to live in the town.
Alhaji Mallam whose wife hails from Ojoja in the old Eastern Region got 12 children from the marriage. Two of the children died and he is left with 10, who are now all married with their own children. Today he has about 46 grand children.

Even after most of his business partners have crossed over to the other side of the Niger and settled in Asaba, Delta State due to a problem they encountered some years back which resulted in loss of lives, he has refused to leave, but has continued with his onions and beans business at the Bridge Head Market, Onitsha.
His conviction is that Nigeria is one and belongs to all irrespective of tribe or religion and that any Nigerian could settle and carry out his business anywhere he or she wants.

Mallam who spoke with Daily Sun in an interview also looked at the Boko Haram menace. Excerpt:

Where exactly is your state of origin?
I come from Kano State in the former Northern Nigeria

Does coming to Onitsha with his parents make him an Onitisha indigene?

Secondly, the subject of this interview even admitted to being of Kano origin, so what the fok are we talking about?

He can stay there till thy kingdom come, he is still still an HAUSA man, with all the tendencies of his Hausa brothers.

I am aware that being an 'Alhaji Chinedu" does not put you in the same pedestel as Alhaji Umoru. So make una shine una eyes oo, my fellow IGBO people

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by phreakabit(m): 10:19am On Oct 07, 2011
naijaking1:

In a normal society this man should be able to walk into YOUR FATHER[size=5pt]'s[/size]! house,kick him out and then impose himself on the rest of you , as the head of the family. "One Nigeria"! Fncking slowpoke!
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by badmrkt(m): 10:24am On Oct 07, 2011
if na Igbo man b dey Hausa land him 4 live till now?

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Ben13: 10:36am On Oct 07, 2011
Igbos like peace. This guy is alive. . . shocked
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by phreakabit(m): 10:36am On Oct 07, 2011
This senile Hausa man is probably suffering from dyslexia if he thinks the Northerners or anyone at all can pull off a Plateau Situation in Igboland. Next thing we will hear is that they want to identified as indigenes and hence lay claim to a certain region and have equal rights. I have one word for anybody planning on doing that, Systematic [size=5pt]Genocide[/size]!
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by HOTandCOLD(m): 10:36am On Oct 07, 2011
This character called ALOY/EMEKA is a big time chameleon. ALways posting irritating and outrightly stupid stories,

Question: If Onitsha was occupied or discovered by Hausa and Nupe people, how was it possible for the obi of onitsha to be an Igboman. Exposing his ignorance further by saying that they were attending onitsha festival. That means there was a way of life even before he got there.

@ aloy/emeka: Please stop flying dangerous kites by posting inflammatory things that make people go hard at each other's tribe. I'm tired of your bull.shit threads.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by GAR3TH(m): 10:36am On Oct 07, 2011
hardbody:

Does coming to Onitsha with his parents make him an Onitisha indigene?

Secondly, the subject of this interview even admitted to being of Kano origin, so what the fok are we talking about?

He can stay there till thy kingdom come, he is still still an HAUSA man, with all the tendencies of his Hausa brothers.

I am aware that being an 'Alhaji Chinedu" does not put you in the same pedestel as Alhaji Umoru. So make una shine una eyes oo, my fellow IGBO people

You do realize that in technical terms there is no such thing as an indigene. People have alway and will always migrate. Before igbos were in onishita bini occupied the area, before the bini someone else was there and before them a different group was there and so on. Humans have been on earth for more than 250,000 years, so trust me when i say that you are not the original owner of any land.

naijaking1:

+1
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by phreakabit(m): 10:43am On Oct 07, 2011
aloy/emeka:

What was Onitsha like when you came into the town?
Not many Igbos were living in Onitsha then. People were coming from the hinterland to buy things. Hausas and Nupes occupied all these areas where we are now.

RFLMAO!!!!! Are you sure they didn't find "Alhaji" in the Psych ward?
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 10:44am On Oct 07, 2011
GAR3TH:

You do realize that in technical terms there is no such thing as an indigene. People have alway and will always migrate. Before igbos were in onishita bini occupied the area, before the bini someone else was there and before them a different group was there and so on. Humans have been on earth for more than 250,000 years, so trust me when i say that you are not the original owner of any land.

You have a point but was it bini people that occuppied Onitsha or was it the other way round.

Like you said, people migrate, so technically there's no such thing as an indigene except it has a different meaning from what Nigerians know it as. For instance, shoouldn't Benin people be indigenes of Lagos since they once occupied that territory.

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by GAR3TH(m): 10:53am On Oct 07, 2011
afam4eva:

You have a point but was it bini people that occuppied Onitsha or was it the other way round.

Like you said, people migrate, so technically there's no such thing as an indigene except it has a different meaning from what Nigerians know it as. For instance, shouldn't Benin people be indigenes of Lagos since they once occupied that territory.

At one point in history, 1500s or so, bini people did occupy lagos and at that point they were and could be called the indigene/natives of lagos. But today, 2011, they dont occupy lagos anymore so in today's world they wont be called the indigene of Lagos.

So today Igbos are the indigenes of Onitsha but it does not mean the will still be the indigenes in the future or in the past.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by phreakabit(m): 10:54am On Oct 07, 2011
afam4eva:

Like you said, people migrate, so technically there's no such thing as an indigene except it has a different meaning from what Nigerians know it as. For instance, shoouldn't Benin people be indigenes of Lagos since they once occupied that territory.

Even though it is said : If you don't know where you are from. You wouldn't know where you are going. I would say let HISTORY remain in the past . The present and the future is all that matters right now! If you aren't an Indegene, YOU ARE NOT! There is a CLEAR map of the country which shows the distinct partition (if we can call it that) of the country based on Geo political zone, ethnicity and language to an extent. I feel bad for anyone who has been or is displaced but thats just how the world is TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!

N.B: History is very important  in certain issues but not this one.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 10:56am On Oct 07, 2011
phreakabit:

Even though it is said : If you don't know where you are from. You wouldn't know where you are going. I would say let HISTORY remain in the past . The present and the future is all that matters right now! If you aren't an Indegene, YOU ARE NOT! There is a CLEAR map of the country which shows the distinct partition (if we can call it that) of the country based on Geo political zone, ethnicity and language to an extent. I feel bad for anyone who has been or is displaced but thats just how the world is TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!

N.B: History is very important  in certain issues but not this one.

I get your point. But pls can you define the term indegeneship? Who's an indegene and who's not. That way we can get a clear understanding.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by GAR3TH(m): 11:08am On Oct 07, 2011
In my opinion and by definition if you as an INDIVIDUAL had lived in an area for a significant amount of time and you have adapted to the way of life in your new environment, you are considered an indigene. If you were born in Taraba state but now you live in lagos, as long as you have adapted to the hustle and bustle of lagos you can proudly call yourself a lagos indigene.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 11:11am On Oct 07, 2011
GAR3TH:

In my opinion and by definition if you as an INDIVIDUAL have lived in an area for a significant amount of time and you have adapted to the way of life there, you are considered an indigene. If you were born in Taraba state but now you live in lagos, as long as you have adapted to the hustle and bustle of lagos you can proudly call yourself a lagos indigene.

From your definition, it means 90% of people who live in Lagos are indigenes.

The word "indigene" is an english word but even native english speaking countries rarely use the word. It's only backward countries like Nigeria that love the word so much.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by aloyemeka1: 11:15am On Oct 07, 2011
HOTandCOLD:

This character called ALOY/EMEKA is a big time chameleon. ALways posting irritating and outrightly silly stories,

Question: If Onitsha was occupied or discovered by Hausa and Nupe people, how was it possible for the obi of onitsha to be an Igboman. Exposing his ignorance further by saying that they were attending onitsha festival. That means there was a way of life even before he got there.

@ aloy/emeka: Please stop flying dangerous kites by posting inflammatory things that make people go hard at each other's tribe. I'm tired of your bull.poo threads.

Same way Lagos is discovered by Binis but the Oba is Yoruba.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by nagoma(m): 11:43am On Oct 07, 2011
The Name seems fake to me sha!!! My opinion anyway

I wonder why.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 11:45am On Oct 07, 2011
@POST

The title of this thread shows comprehensible deficiency of the poster. When the Hausa and Nupe came to Onicha to trade, who did they meet? The Mallam said “Not many Igbos were living in Onitsha then. People were coming from the hinterland to buy things. Hausas and Nupes occupied all these areas where we are now.”  Of course not too many indigenes of Igbo, or Yoruba or Hausa or Nupe will live in up-shoot town such as Onicha, Eko, Kano or Minna. Again, when the Mallam said “Hausas and Nupes occupied all these areas where we are now”, he referred to area around the Bridge head not entire Onicha city as the confused poster would want us to believe. The settlement of the Sabon Gari by non-indigenes of Kano does not translate Igbo, Yoruba, Ibibio or Edo was in Kano before Hausa.

As much as I am not in position to cede the position of landlord to the Mallam, favorable mention should be made about a man who had every opportunity to join the northerners and majority of southerners to prosecute a war against Ndigbo and Biafra yet he risked death to join Biafra and stayed with Biafrans throughout the civil war. In may book, Alhaji Mallam deserved honorary citizen in Igbo land.

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by islamrules(m): 11:51am On Oct 07, 2011
The man is sick. Fulanis own and are indigenes of Onitsha
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by nagoma(m): 11:54am On Oct 07, 2011
This character called ALOY/EMEKA is a big time chameleon. ALways posting irritating and outrightly silly stories,

@ aloy/emeka: Please stop flying dangerous kites by posting inflammatory things that make people go hard at each other's [b] tribe.[/b] I'm tired of your bull.poo threads

I don't think this man gave this interview to claim Onitsha for any  tribes other than Igbo. He is very clear in his mind and has been over those years that he is living in Igboland- no doubt about this from his story. I do not see any inflamattory remark there at all! The first occupants of Sabon Gari LGA in Zaria were Igbos and Yoruba's and that does't mean it's no longer part of Hausaland. In my view this story is positive and spoke well of the Igbo people and land.

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by emmatok(m): 12:18pm On Oct 07, 2011
And why are you people insulating the old man.

He didn'y say Hausas And Nupes owns Onitsha.

which mean majority of the people trading in Onitsha before the civil-war are Hausas And Nupes

Why are commenting as if Hausas And Nupes wants to collect Onitsha form the IGBOs.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 07, 2011
Ournaija:

Gbam correct!

Ournaija:

Gbam correct!

Ournaija:

Gbam correct!

I tell you,  Sad:-(
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by executinal(m): 1:21pm On Oct 07, 2011
subscribing,
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Blacktribe: 1:44pm On Oct 07, 2011
He is more like an igbo man after living in igbo land 4 80yrs.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tiwola: 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2011
One Word: Bollocks!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Security Fears: Clinton Cancels Scheduled Abuja Meetings / Nigeria Customs Generate N385.7 Billion Revenue In 6 Months / Ijaw National Congress Denies Endorsing Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.