Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,583 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo (8980 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Clash Between Yorubas And Nupes In Kwara (Photos) / Fight Between Yorubas And Nupes Now Bloody, In Kwara State - Ebiraland. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by LordNaya: 2:24pm On Oct 07, 2011
Point of correction de ogboli quarters of onitsha were de 1st settlers of onitsha who came from the great Eri/Nri kingdom in anambra state b4 other migrants from other part of Igboland. De population of Ndi Igbo in sabo gari nd festac are more than de population of de local tribes there. This tread shows dat Igbos are hospitable people. The poster shud learn how 2 use headings dat are in line with de content of the story.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by peckhamboi: 2:28pm On Oct 07, 2011
Hausaland is getting congested. I need to rally my Mallam brothers to go and take back our land in Onitsha. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Ayowumie(m): 2:45pm On Oct 07, 2011
Kudos to the man but i dont entirely believe it. Hausas and Nupe could not have out numbered Igbos in Onitsha except of course in a selected "sabon gari"(Hausa name for a place for outsiders) Not many people were living in Onitsha does not entirely mean Igbos were outnumbered. I guess what the man meant to say was that Igbos were not evenly spread in Onitsha at that time compared to how they are now. Another point is that it was in the South West that you would have a high population of Nupes back then. This is even evident in some of Yorubas stories regarding settlers. And even some of these stories, we were taught in our Alawiye books.
Another point is that, Hausas could not have evenly populated Onitsha because Hausas are traditionally cattle rearers, who would they leave their cattle for and go for other tradings. That Hausas attended Ofalla festivals did not mean they could have out numbered Igbos. They were there as 'invited guests' simply because they might have had a "high population" (relatively high) back then if when compared with population of other non-indigenes.
My submission is that, this man has doctored the real story in order to make his own story spread. That he has spent 80 years in Onitsha is a great news but not totally new except for the fact he is Hausa. I was in Gubio (an LGA in Borno, abt 3 and half hours from Maiduguri) in 2007 and I saw an Ogbomoso woman that was born there and now has her grand children in the same town. One of her grand children was 25 as at that time. The woman should be a great granny by now.
You can also find cases of Igbo men and women that have been in Potiskum for ages."
aloy/emeka:

Hausas and Nupes occupied all these areas where we are now.[/size][/color]
Look at the quote, the man was referring to the place where he was granting the interview with the Sun and i suppose if that place is around the main market.
This is explanation for it: For any one that knows Onitsha very well, you will know that the main market as it is, is not very far from the River Niger, from my knowledge of history of settlers, i understand that, settlers are usually given a portion of land that is along the outskirt of that particular town.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpia5: 3:28pm On Oct 07, 2011
And what concerns lagos with this matter, geez.

Not to mention the fact that the few bini soldiers who visited the place after flying by airplane to get there, met the native lagosians in the area?
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by 2mch(m): 3:49pm On Oct 07, 2011
grin grin grin grin cheesy

Such anger, at the thought of Hausa indigenes. Interesting,  When it comes to Lagos though, they say no mans land. Well well, Onitsha is no mans land, nor vex. Besides historically it was occupied by Bini, so there may be an element of truth in what he is saying.  undecided. So there will definitely be a lot of people with Bini ancestry in Onitsha, reason why they would not be able to chase them out during Biafra. You will have to chase the royal family. undecided
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by MMM2(m): 3:52pm On Oct 07, 2011
And so what angry
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 4:10pm On Oct 07, 2011
2mch:

grin grin grin grin cheesy

Such anger, at the thought of Hausa indigenes. Interesting,  When it comes to Lagos though, they say no mans land. Well well, Onitsha is no mans land, nor vex. Besides historically it was occupied by Bini, so there may be an element of truth in what he is saying.  undecided. So there will definitely be a lot of people with Bini ancestry in Onitsha, reason why they would not be able to chase them out during Biafra. You will have to chase the royal family. undecided

What tends to generate this type of nonsensical analogy? Lagos was a nation’s capital developed from capital fund set aside from the national coffer.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Oct 07, 2011
Dede1:

What tends to generate this type of nonsensical analogy? Lagos was a nation’s capital development from capital fund set aside from the national coffer.

They'll never understand this. So, it's futile trying to spoon-feed them.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by 2mch(m): 4:25pm On Oct 07, 2011
Dede1:

What tends to generate this type of nonsensical analogy? Lagos was a nation’s capital development from capital fund set aside from the national coffer.

Lagos has always been what it was, that is why it succeeded regardless of being a nation's capital. Considering allocation, does it get as much as the delta for its size? If all that made Lagos was government allocation it should have collapsed by now. So shattap your useless mouth there. mumu. Lets take a look at Calabar or even Abuja? So spare me that crap. In 100 years they can never be Lagos. This just shows how hypocritical and double mouthed you are. tongue. Yoruba's should never fall for that no mans land crap because if hte shoe were on the other foot we see the reaction. Just from small Onitsha talkless of a state like Lagos.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by naijaking1: 4:31pm On Oct 07, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

The title of this thread shows comprehensible deficiency of the poster. When the Hausa and Nupe came to Onicha to trade, who did they meet? The Mallam said “Not many Igbos were living in Onitsha then. People were coming from the hinterland to buy things. Hausas and Nupes occupied all these areas where we are now.” Of course not too many indigenes of Igbo, or Yoruba or Hausa or Nupe will live in up-shoot town such as Onicha, Eko, Kano or Minna. Again, when the Mallam said “Hausas and Nupes occupied all these areas where we are now”, he referred to area around the Bridge head not entire Onicha city as the confused poster would want us to believe. The settlement of the Sabon Gari by non-indigenes of Kano does not translate Igbo, Yoruba, Ibibio or Edo was in Kano before Hausa.

As much as I am not in position to cede the position of landlord to the Mallam, favorable mention should be made about a man who had every opportunity to join the northerners and majority of southerners to prosecute a war against Ndigbo and Biafra yet he risked death to join Biafra and stayed with Biafrans throughout the civil war. In may book, Alhaji Mallam deserved honorary citizen in Igbo land.

Nnanyi-ukwu Dede, Ndewo-o

You shall live long shocked

The title of the article was certainly incorrect. The man meant that he's been coming to Onitsha before many Igbos recognized the need to come and settle in the city.
The poor man never said he was in Onitsha before the Onitsha man cheesy
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by goggs(m): 5:23pm On Oct 07, 2011
it is evidently clear that there are nigerians who have lived in other parts of the country other than their own . of course there is no problem with that. I am sure that this is obtainable in several places in Nigeria, even my village in the north has several generations of ibos who are excellent friends of ours, speak our native dialects and provide important services. I will never consider them leaving on any account. infact some have intermarried.

seeing that this story is in the shadow of the recent indigene/ settler wars on the plateau, I dare say that the story in Sun is interesting. the hausa fellow is enjoying onitsha cos he shows tremendous respect for the culture of his host, he has learnt the dialect and has subsumed himself to an extent with his community.

suppose he chooses to contest for the Obi stool in onitsha or maybe wants the government to declare an emir of onitsha to give him and his large brood some sense of ''cultural belonging''. I can bet he'l be playing with fire. I think that's the problem afflicting places like Jos.

The concept of being free to live and do business anywhere in the country is happening. we are a people that are yet to relegate cultural identities and be truly ''tribeless''. That wouldt happen anytime soon. We hold on to traditions and culture cos the nigerian nation is yet to offer anything so good as to want to identify more with it than our cultural enclave. It will come, but it will take time. Even the native Americans, with the advancement of their country still hold on to traditions which are jealously guarded even from outsiders.

to survive and thrive peacefully anywhere in the country is very possible and it happens everyday and will continue to happen. the key is to respect the sensibility of your host by mainly staying clear of traditional and cultural issues which ostensibly one of the major reason for the seemingly intractable wahala in the tin city.

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 5:24pm On Oct 07, 2011
2mch:

Lagos has always been what it was, that is why it succeeded regardless of being a nation's capital. Considering allocation, does it get as much as the delta for its size? If all that made Lagos was government allocation it should have collapsed by now. So shattap your useless mouth there. mumu. Lets take a look at Calabar or even Abuja? So spare me that crap. In 100 years they can never be Lagos. This just shows how hypocritical and double mouthed you are. tongue. Yoruba's should never fall for that no mans land crap because if hte shoe were on the other foot we see the reaction. Just from small Onitsha talkless of a state like Lagos.

The last time I checked though, Ibadan was the capital of the all encompassing development driven Oodua nation and the pride of cocoa revenue induced WNDC.

Yet the brains behind Oodua and WNDC did not find it necessary to develop Ibadan instead they goofed over to Lagos. Not even Abeokuta was remembered in the scheme of things from the seat of government in Ibadan. This scenario is unlike the Yoruba people I know.

In the other hand though, the shameful claim of Lagos as the brain child of Yoruba industrial magic resourcefully reminded me about the real Yoruba that I know.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 5:28pm On Oct 07, 2011
naijaking1:

Nnanyi-ukwu Dede, Ndewo-o

You shall live long shocked

The title of the article was certainly incorrect. The man meant that he's been coming to Onitsha before many Igbos recognized the need to come and settle in the city.
The poor man never said he was in Onitsha before the Onitsha man cheesy

naijaking1, Ndewo-o Nwannem

Bros, you shall live long too.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by naijaking1: 5:40pm On Oct 07, 2011
goggs:

it is evidently clear that there are nigerians who have lived in other parts of the country other than their own . of course there is no problem with that. I am sure that this is obtainable in several places in Nigeria, even my village in the north has several generations of ibos who are excellent friends of ours, speak our native dialects and provide important services. I will never consider them leaving on any account. infact some have intermarried.

seeing that this story is in the shadow of the recent indigene/ settler wars on the plateau, I dare say that the story in Sun is interesting. the hausa fellow is enjoying onitsha cos he shows tremendous respect for the culture of his host, he has learnt the dialect and has subsumed himself to an extent with his community.

suppose he chooses to contest for the Obi stool in onitsha or maybe wants the government to declare an emir of onitsha to give him and his large brood some sense of ''cultural belonging''. I can bet he'l be playing with fire. I think that's the problem afflicting places like Jos.

The concept of being free to live and do business anywhere in the country is happening. we are a people that are yet to relegate cultural identities and be truly ''tribeless''. That wouldt happen anytime soon. We hold on to traditions and culture cos the nigerian nation is yet to offer anything so good as to want to identify more with it than our cultural enclave. It will come, but it will take time. Even the native Americans, with the advancement of their country still hold on to traditions which are jealously guarded even from outsiders.

to survive and thrive peacefully anywhere in the country is very possible and it happens everyday and will continue to happen. the key is to respect the sensibility of your host by mainly staying clear of traditional and cultural issues which ostensibly one of the major reason for the seemingly intractable wahala in the tin city.

This is the great debacle we have to overcome in our journey to a truely modern society.
After the provision of food, shelter, s-.e-.x, electricity power/water, this problem of integration would be the next most important issue in our affairs as Nigerians aspiring for an advanced/civilized nationhood.
It needs to be discussed, not broaded for fear of short term security implications.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by ak47mann(m): 5:47pm On Oct 07, 2011
in onitsha hausa people settled in a place called[b] alahusa[/b] were they conduct their daily business peacefully and send their kids to school.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by aljharem3: 5:51pm On Oct 07, 2011
Dede1:

The last time I checked though, Ibadan was the capital of the all encompassing developmental driven Oodua nation and the pride of cocoa revenue induced WNDC.

Yet the brains behind Oodua and WNDC did not find it necessary to develop Ibadan instead they goofed over to Lagos. Not even Abeokuta was remembered in the scheme of things from the seat of government in Ibadan. This scenario is unlike the Yoruba people I know.

In the other hand though, the shameful claim of Lagos as the brain child of Yoruba industrial magic resourcefully reminded me about the real Yoruba that I know.   

Don't talk about things u know nothing of. Lagos Island was the capital not the whole of Lagos. Also calabar was the capital for X amount of years before Lagos.

Lastly lastly and for the bloody last time, STOP CALLING SOMEONE'S LAND A NO MANS LAND. IT IS PROVOKING AND ANNOYING AND I WOULD NOT WANT TO HEAR IT OR EVER Think of IT AS AN INDIGENE. IT MAKES ME WANT TO KILL THE ALIENS WHICH ARE THE IGBOS BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE YOU NEVER LEARN TO SHUT YOUR F.UCKING MOUTH ABOUT LAGOS AND THE ISSUE OF OWNERSHIP OR NOT. JUST STFU ABOUT LAGOS BEING A NO MANS LAND OK AND STOP GIVING ME and others IDEAS. NO OTHER ETHNIC GROUP SAYS SUCH STATEMENT APART FROM IGBOS. IT IS PROVOKING because ABUJA AND CALABAR ARE PEOPLE'S LAND BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE NEUTRAL YORUBAS THAT DO NOT TOUCH IGBOS, THEN PEOPLE LIKE YOU START GROWING WINGS AND SAY THING WHICH I DARE YOU TO SAY REAL LIFE IN LAGOS TO ANY YORUBA OR BINI MAN EVEN some IBIBIOS and hausa/kanuri ARE VERY PART OF LAGOS AND INDIGENOUS NOW BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND THE PEOPLE AND THE WAY OF LIFE AND THEY LEARN TO KEEP THINGS CIVIL AND RESPECTIVE WHEN DESCRIBING OTHER PEOPLE'S LAND BUT STILL PEOPLE LIKE YOU HAVE NOT LEARNT THIS AND THEY KEEP TELLING YOU.

STOP AND STOP THAT STATEMENT BECAUSE OUR PEOPLE SAY ONE DAY SHIT GO HIT FAN AND EVERYTHING GO SCATTER.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by aljharem3: 5:55pm On Oct 07, 2011
goggs:

This can happen but some groups hold their identity because it is not only the ones in Nigeria that use them but those in other countries and as such have the moral duty to keep there identity as one thing that connects them.

Nigeria is a peaceful place where cultural identity does not matter when it comes to business so long as you do not provoke the indigenes because no one like the idea of aliens coming to their turf and dictating the events on their land
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by sunkoye: 6:08pm On Oct 07, 2011
wetin be this guy's intention , he wan declare sharia for onitsha? cheesy cheesy
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 6:15pm On Oct 07, 2011
alj_harem:

Don't talk about things u know nothing of. Lagos Island was the capital not the whole of Lagos. Also calabar was the capital for X amount of years before Lagos.

Lastly lastly and for the bloody last time, STOP CALLING SOMEONE'S LAND A NO MANS LAND. IT IS PROVOKING AND ANNOYING AND I WOULD NOT WANT TO HEAR IT OR EVER Think of IT AS AN INDIGENE. IT MAKES ME WANT TO KILL THE ALIENS WHICH ARE THE IGBOS BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE YOU NEVER LEARN TO SHUT YOUR F.UCKING MOUTH ABOUT LAGOS AND THE ISSUE OF OWNERSHIP OR NOT. JUST STFU ABOUT LAGOS BEING A NO MANS LAND OK AND STOP GIVING ME and others IDEAS. NO OTHER ETHNIC GROUP SAYS SUCH STATEMENT APART FROM IGBOS. IT IS PROVOKING because ABUJA AND CALABAR ARE PEOPLE'S LAND BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE NEUTRAL YORUBAS THAT DO NOT TOUCH IGBOS, THEN PEOPLE LIKE YOU START GROWING WINGS AND SAY THING WHICH I DARE YOU TO SAY REAL LIFE IN LAGOS TO ANY YORUBA OR BINI MAN EVEN some IBIBIOS and hausa/kanuri ARE VERY PART OF LAGOS AND INDIGENOUS NOW BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND THE PEOPLE AND THE WAY OF LIFE AND THEY LEARN TO KEEP THINGS CIVIL AND RESPECTIVE WHEN DESCRIBING OTHER PEOPLE'S LAND BUT STILL PEOPLE LIKE YOU HAVE NOT LEARNT THIS AND THEY KEEP TELLING YOU.

STOP AND STOP THAT STATEMENT BECAUSE OUR PEOPLE SAY ONE DAY poo GO HIT FAN AND EVERYTHING GO SCATTER.

Alj boko haram, there was no time Nigeria's capital city of Lagos was divided into Lagos Island and mainland. This idiotic Lagos Island crap is modern day display of political irresponsibility and recklessness. The federal government authority over Lagos stretched from Ikorodu, Victoria Island to Badagry. I lived and conducted business in Lagos which required visiting state and federal government establishments in Lagos.

Please shut up your putrid mouth and do not lump me with those claiming Lagos is no man’s land. Of course, Lagos will always remain Yoruba land. However, it has been a federal government seat of power and should still carry the political baggage that comes with such title. Calabar, Lokoja and Lagos were colonial capital cities of protectorates that gave rise to Nigeria. However, Lagos continued the tradition of capital city after Nigeria’s independence. 

As for poo hitting fan, I must reiterate you should not start what you can not possibly finish.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by aljharem3: 6:25pm On Oct 07, 2011
Dede1:

Ahj boko haram, there was no time Nigeria capital of Lagos was divided into Lagos Island and mainland. This idiotic Lagos Island crap is modern day display of political irresponsibility and recklessness. The federal government authority over Lagos stretched from Ikorodu, Victoria Island to Badagry. I lived and conducted business in Lagos which required visiting state and federal government establishments in Lagos.

Please shut up your putrid mouth and do not lump me with those claiming Lagos is no man’s land. Of course, Lagos will always remain Yoruba land. However, it has been a federal government seat of power and should still carry the political baggage that comes with such title. Calabar, Lokoja and Lagos were colonial capital cities of protectorates that gave rise to Nigeria. However, Lagos continued the tradition of capital city after Nigeria’s independence.

As for poo hitting fan, I must reiterate you should not start what you can not possibly finish.

Dede1 infact I don't care if the FCT extented to the present Ogun state and whether it is yorubaland or not because clearly bini are indigenes and have rights and well as the other people like myself who have lived in the state for quite larger amount of my life.

My point is that I want to drive home to you and other is stop calling lagos "a no man's land" all because it was the formal capital. We had calabar as the formal capital, I don't see anyone calling it "a no man's land" so we should have some decency and respect for the indigenes of the land because that is the only land they can call their home and it is their sense of identity. If these conditions are met, then there is no problem. After few years down the line, the hold of this strong cultural identity will fade away as there would be much more cultural homogeneity unlike now.

People protect their land, anywhere in the world
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 6:51pm On Oct 07, 2011
alj_harem:

Dede1 infact I don't care if the FCT extented to the present Ogun state and whether it is yorubaland or not because clearly bini are indigenes and have rights and well as the other people like myself who have lived in the state for quite larger amount of my life.

My point is that I want to drive home to you and other is stop calling lagos "a no man's land" all because it was the formal capital. We had calabar as the formal capital, I don't see anyone calling it "a no man's land" so we should have some decency and respect for the indigenes of the land because that is the only land they can call their home and it is their sense of identity. If these conditions are met, then there is no problem. After few years down the line, the hold of this strong cultural identity will fade away as there would be much more cultural homogeneity unlike now.

People protect their land, anywhere in the world

You have foolishly embarked on a futile chase of mirage. I have never referred to Lagos as “no man’s land” because most Yoruba people will always remind one to go back to “one’s country” if the person is not a Yoruba while living in Lagos. However, you can whine all you want; Lagos must remain a federal capital territory. Lokoja and Calabar were colonial era seats of British government when your mother was still running around the mud huts in Maiduguri unclad. So I suggest you drop Calabar and Lokoja in your delusional argument to claim Lagos.

You and follow misguided ilk can not be able to repay the republic that will emerge from eastern region of Nigeria the interest charge on the capital Nigeria spent on Lagos without losing entire Ondo State on delinquency. grin grin
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by 2mch(m): 7:05pm On Oct 07, 2011
Dede1:

The last time I checked though, Ibadan was the capital of the all encompassing development driven Oodua nation and the pride of cocoa revenue induced WNDC.

Who are you to tell Yoruba's which land to develop? Dont you see Ibadan? And before the Nigerian entity or the invasion of the british Yoruba's have been moving to Lagos in droves because of its access to the sea. Lagos's success has always been its location and nothing else. Dont jump before yourself here. It has always been a hub and more advanced than others, this is a fact. Before Nigeria was an entity people from all parts moved to Lagos. So, Lagos is the brain child of Yoruba industry. And dont forget Yoruba's are city dwellers unlike Igbo's that live in Village communities historically. This is why Ibadan, Abeokuta, Lagos, Akure and so many southwest states have very big cities. Ibadan has always been a big city even from historical accounts.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by aljharem3: 7:05pm On Oct 07, 2011
Dede1:

You have foolishly embarked on a futile chase of mirage. I have never referred to Lagos as “no man’s land” because most Yoruba people will always remind one to go back to “one’s country” if the person is not a Yoruba while living in Lagos. However, you can whine all you want; Lagos must remain a federal capital territory. Lokoja and Calabar were colonial era seats of British government when your mother was still running around the mud huts in Maiduguri unclad. So I suggest you drop Calabar and Lokoja in your delusional argument to claim Lagos.

You and follow misguided ilk can not be able to repay the republic that will emerge from eastern region of Nigeria the interest charge on the capital Nigeria spent on Lagos without losing entire Ondo State on delinquency. grin grin  

Ok I get your point but just wanted to pass my point across as well.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by aljharem3: 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2011
2mch:

Who are you to tell Yoruba's which land to develop? Dont you see Ibadan? And before the Nigerian entity or the invasion of the british Yoruba's have been moving to Lagos in droves because of its access to the sea. Lagos's success has always been its location and nothing else. Dont jump before yourself here. It has always been a hub and more advanced than others, this is a fact. Before Nigeria was an entity people from all parts moved to Lagos. So, Lagos is the brain child of Yoruba industry. And dont forget Yoruba's are city dwellers unlike Igbo's that live in Village communities historically. This is why Ibadan, Abeokuta, Lagos, Akure and so many southwest states have very big cities. Ibadan has always been a big city even from historical accounts.

it is ok. You have to acknowledge others like the igbos and hausa that invested in lagos as well. It is best to have mutual respect for each other.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by naijaking1: 7:20pm On Oct 07, 2011
alj_harem:

Ok I get your point but just wanted to pass my point across as well.

Wow, welcome back to earth.
Has the igbo you smoked finally worn off
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by SouthEast1: 7:26pm On Oct 07, 2011
Funny title

If indeed Hausas and Nupes occupied Onitsha before the Igbo, with whom was the subject of the article trading  when he was just a child?
Who was doing the Ofala? Hausas and Nupes in Onitsha or Igbos in Onitsha?

Two other observations: this Hausa man lived 81 years in the East and is still alive today. In contrast, all the easterners who would have lived 81 years in the North today have been killed many years ago by northerners.

How much has he physically invested in Onitsha where he calls home? Does he have a house of his own or he still lives on rented accommodation after all these years?

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by aloyemeka1: 8:22pm On Oct 07, 2011
islamrules:

Fulanis own and are indigenes of Onitsha

Roflmao cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 10:11pm On Oct 07, 2011
2mch:

I need someone to tell this airhead to shut up and spent a little time on research. When the British made Lagos a colony, the acreage known as Lagos was a mosquito-infested swamp. If not for the turn of events such as a combination of British and personalities such as Sir Ojukwu to erect a wharf in Apapa, Abeokuta would have overtaken the swampy Lagos. Mere mosquito drove British upland which resulted in Abeokuta being the site for greater number of early secondary schools than Lagos.

There was a time many Yoruba people were not allowed into Lagos unless you are somebody, olodo. Oloshi like you should inquire why British invited anybody who could walk from Sierra Leone to Lagos. I have travelled far and wide in Yoruba land and I suggest you keep your dirty mouth closed about Yoruba being township dwellers.

When Ndigbo went into the deep jungle and cocoa farm lands to buy beans from Yoruba farmers who have not seen corrugated iron sheet in their lives, they welcomed Nidgbo like Oyinbo. Yet this human junk is talking about township. A trip from Ibadan to Akure through Ado Ekiti as lately as 1982 reminded me that Yoruba still carry poo in small buckets, Olodo. Except Lagos and Ibadan, most cities in Yoruba land are one road-town.

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by ektbear: 10:15pm On Oct 07, 2011
Na wa o

So Igbos are not even natives of Onitsha?

Interesting grin tongue wink
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by lagcity(m): 10:21pm On Oct 07, 2011
Dede1:

I need someone to tell this airhead to shut up and spent a little time on research. When the British made Lagos a colony, the acreage known as Lagos was a mosquito-infested swamp. If not for the turn of events such as a combination of British and personalities such as Sir Ojukwu to erect a wharf in Apapa, Abeokuta would have overtaken the swampy Lagos. Mere mosquito drove British upland which resulted in Abeokuta being the site for greater number of early secondary schools than Lagos.

There was a time many Yoruba people were not allowed into Lagos unless you are somebody, olodo. Oloshi like you should inquire why British invited anybody who could walk from Sierra Leone to Lagos. I have travelled far and wide in Yoruba land and I suggest you keep your dirty mouth closed about Yoruba being township dwellers.

When Ndigbo went into the deep jungle and cocoa farm lands to buy beans from Yoruba farmers who have not seen corrugated iron sheet in their lives, they welcomed Nidgbo like Oyinbo. Yet this human junk is talking about township. A trip from Ibadan to Akure through Ado Ekiti as lately as 1982 reminded me that Yoruba still carry poo in small buckets, Olodo. Except Lagos and Ibadan, most cities in Yoruba land are one road-town.

why are you such a pathological liar? haba, is it genetic? u seriously need deliverance becos u can't keep going on like this. even Igbos are ashamed of you.

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 10:36pm On Oct 07, 2011
lagcity:

why are you such a pathological liar? haba, is it genetic? u seriously need deliverance becos u can't keep going on like this. even Igbos are ashamed of you.

It takes one pathological liar to know another. Even till this day, Ibadan looks like a city from Jurassic Park. grin grin
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by EzeUche(m): 10:53pm On Oct 07, 2011
Na wa o! shocked

OP needs to be careful with such an inflammatory topic. Especially when discussing Onitsha.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Auto Crash Claims Nine In Ogun / I Emailed A U.S Senator, Dianne Feinstein & Here Was Her Epic Reply (see Photos) / Thunder Strike You There..After Watching This Video And Still Believe In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.