Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,737 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo (8981 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Clash Between Yorubas And Nupes In Kwara (Photos) / Fight Between Yorubas And Nupes Now Bloody, In Kwara State - Ebiraland. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpia5: 11:03pm On Oct 07, 2011
Except Lagos and Ibadan, most cities in Yoruba land are one road-town.   

not true.

Mere mosquito drove British upland

also incorrect.

the british were in abeokuta for a number of reasons, including early hostility of lagosians to british interference in the slave trade.

they [the british] needed a base from which they could launch their efforts to control the traffic and abeokuta welcomed them for various reasons which will not be discussed here.

in addition, dahomey was very resistant to the abolition of the slave trade, and the lagos port was also a recipient of many captured slaves by dahomey and the rest of yorubaland. Dahomey was backed by the french before it's colonization, so abeokuta was a safer place for the british to stay in for the meantime.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 08, 2011
Even in those your normal societies, there are social tensions which however take extreme situations to surface. The difference in Nigeria is that because of high illiteracy, unemployment & poverty, these tensions come out at the slightest provocation.

During the August UK riots, businesses that existed for hundreds of years were razed to the ground in a clear demonstration that the unified country that Labour built for almost 14 years was still a million jobs away! In other instances, I have been with friends who are legal permanent residents both in the UK and the States and in spite of being fully integrated speaking with them and all, most oyinbo people we met kept asking them. . ."so where are you from ORIGINALLY?"
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 1:37pm On Oct 08, 2011
tpia@:

not true.

also incorrect.

the british were in abeokuta for a number of reasons, including early hostility of lagosians to british interference in the slave trade.

they [the british] needed a base from which they could launch their efforts to control the traffic and abeokuta welcomed them for various reasons which will not be discussed here.

in addition, dahomey was very resistant to the abolition of the slave trade, and the lagos port was also a recipient of many captured slaves by dahomey and the rest of yorubaland. Dahomey was backed by the french before it's colonization, so abeokuta was a safer place for the british to stay in for the meantime.

History is mostly true to the extent of story teller’s recollection. As I referenced in my previous post, most towns in Yoruba land as lately as 1980 were one-road town. Otta was practically a village in 1980. Even Abeokuta was all about one thorough road in and out of the city. I am not even going to mention Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ado Ekiti, Ile-Ife or Akure. Badagry was a fisherman village in 1980. Even my lovely Ijebu Ode town was a farmer’s village then.

As for British upland move away from mosquito infested swampy Lagos to Abeokuta, you claimed many number of reasons manifested such move including hostility of Lagosians. I am not surprised you decided to diminish the menace of little creatures. Anyway by 1861, all forms of hostility by inhabitants of Lagos had been swept under the rug by the British forces. Even King Kosoko turned tail and ran as fast as his legs could sustain and I gathered he did not run far.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by 2mch(m): 2:15pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dede1:

[s]History is mostly true to the extent of story teller’s recollection. As I referenced in my previous post, most towns in Yoruba land as lately as 1980 were one-road town. Otta was practically a village in 1980. Even Abeokuta was all about one thorough road in and out of the city. I am not even going to mention Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ado Ekiti, Ile-Ife or Akure. Badagry was a fisherman village in 1980. Even my lovely Ijebu Ode town was a farmer’s village then.

As for British upland move away from mosquito infested swampy Lagos to Abeokuta, you claimed many number of reasons manifested such move including hostility of Lagosians. I am not surprised you decided to diminish the menace of little creatures. Anyway by 1861, all forms of hostility by inhabitants of Lagos had been swept under the rug by the British forces. Even King Kosoko turned tail and ran as fast as his legs could sustain and I gathered he did not run far.
[/s]

This guy is a big liar. Is this a mental illness? King Kosoko was exiled to epe. When ddid the british come to Nigeria? They were only successful in 1861, not so? see where the loop holes in your story become evident? Yoruba land comprises of mostly cities. Most people's "villages" are towns. This is not the same with Igbo's. Igbo's lived in hamlets. One road town is even better. More like maneuvering through the jungle in your case. You know absolutely nothing about Yoruba towns. Nothing.loool. The guy tries to sound like an authority in knwoledge but he just lies at every opportunity.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Deage(m): 2:26pm On Oct 08, 2011
This notion of Hausas thinking the own Nigeria is still what is causing most of our problems, and this is non other than the handiwork of our british colonists who knew that they couldn't even capture the Igboland on a platter of gold. Were it took them mere words in the North and West it took them guns in the East. In AD 70 after the scattering of the two tribes of Israel by Roman general Titus, which was the last scattering exercise according to God's curse in Deut. 28, many moved to Egypt, from there to Tunisia and other places before the largest number came to Nigeria(These are Nigerian Hebrews-Ibos). Before their arrival the kwas, the Allokoos and pigmies(not arabs) settled in Nigeria. Onitsha is not a place for someone to say what He is not sure of, it is strategic.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 4:23pm On Oct 08, 2011
2mch:

This guy is a big liar. Is this a mental illness? King Kosoko was exiled to epe. When ddid the british come to Nigeria? They were only successful in 1861, not so? see where the loop holes in your story become evident? Yoruba land comprises of mostly cities. Most people's "villages" are towns. This is not the same with Igbo's. Igbo's lived in hamlets. One road town is even better. More like maneuvering through the jungle in your case. You know absolutely nothing about Yoruba towns. Nothing.loool. The guy tries to sound like an authority in knwoledge but he just lies at every opportunity.

I am convinced you have issues with comprehension. I do not think people are exiled by them selves. I stand corrected though that your Oba Kosoko ran with his tail between his legs to Epe. Kosoko was lucky he had characters such as Akinpelu and Oshodi with him throughout the debacle.

Otta was my playground in the 80s and the seemly aspiring town was just area around major road from Agege, Lagos.  grin grin
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Relax101(m): 4:52pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dede1:

History is mostly true to the extent of story teller’s recollection. As I referenced in my previous post, most towns in Yoruba land as lately as 1980 were one-road town. Otta was practically a village in 1980. Even Abeokuta was all about one thorough road in and out of the city. I am not even going to mention Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ado Ekiti, Ile-Ife or Akure. Badagry was a fisherman village in 1980. Even my lovely Ijebu Ode town was a farmer’s village then.

Dede, what part Ijebu-Ode did you live?
I know a place called Awokoya street and Ibadan Road.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by wireless05: 8:00pm On Oct 08, 2011
I really dont know why people are insultive as if the man is instigating the hausas to claim onitsha. afterall there are even more ibos who have lived their lives in other parts of the country. my people its just someones account of his being in onitsha, make una wake up
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpia5: 8:05pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dede1:

quite misleading and very untrue.

i doubt i'm even going to bother correcting your post.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Dede1(m): 8:57pm On Oct 08, 2011
Relax101:

Dede, what part Ijebu-Ode did you live?
I know a place called Awokoya street and Ibadan Road.

Bros, I hope this is not a deliberate insult. What will you say if I am heading to Eko and suddenly branched to Ijebu-Ode as my final destination?

I did not live in Ijebu-Ode. One fine babe named Fumilayo dragged me to the city for few hours and back to Eko.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by chy101: 9:16pm On Oct 08, 2011
This thread was not created to discuss some dirty and evil yarobaland
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Ufeolorun(m): 10:10pm On Oct 08, 2011
chy101:

This thread was not created to discuss some dirty and evil yarobaland

Shikodi how far na? grin grin
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Relax101(m): 10:37pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dede1:

Bros, I hope this is not a deliberate insult. What will you say if I am heading to Eko and suddenly branched to Ijebu-Ode as my final destination?

I did not live in Ijebu-Ode. One fine babe named Fumilayo dragged me to the city for few hours and back to Eko. 

hope she gave you ikokore but U enjoyed her is the real thing.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by frederal(m): 10:02am On Oct 09, 2011
lipsrsealed undecided Mallam should be getting ready to go back to kano
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpiadotcom: 1:25am On Apr 10, 2015
hbrednic:
YES,mongo park discovered river niger because the place was inhabited by ET before his arrival.

he mapped it.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpiadotcom: 1:26am On Apr 10, 2015
It was not until the war broke out that many Hausas deserted Onitsha.
I did not go because nobody knew where I come from. I was still moving around in Onitsha and when anybody confronted me, I told them I come from Benin. That was how I survived in Onitsha until I joined others to move right into Biafra city where I stayed until the war ended

I don't understand though, how a Hausa could pass for Bini?

I guess he doesn't look Hausa.

and which place was called biafra city?
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpiadotcom: 1:30am On Apr 10, 2015
naijaking1:

Nnanyi-ukwu Dede, Ndewo-o

You shall live long shocked

The title of the article was certainly incorrect. The man meant that he's been coming to Onitsha before many Igbos recognized the need to come and settle in the city.
The poor man never said he was in Onitsha before the Onitsha man cheesy

so who was living in Onitsha back then?

if neither hausa nor igbos were there in large numbers.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Change2015(m): 1:36am On Apr 10, 2015
GAR3TH:

You do realize that in technical terms there is no such thing as an indigene. People have alway and will always migrate. Before igbos were in onishita bini occupied the area, before the bini someone else was there and before them a different group was there and so on. Humans have been on earth for more than 250,000 years, so trust me when i say that you are not the original owner of any land.

+1

There are too many children who dabble in this topic with no sense of history. They need to look up the map of the Benin empire and learn a few things.

#change
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpiadotcom: 1:38am On Apr 10, 2015
GAR3TH:

You do realize that in technical terms there is no such thing as an indigene. People have alway and will always migrate. Before igbos were in onishita bini occupied the area, before the bini someone else was there and before them a different group was there and so on. Humans have been on earth for more than 250,000 years, so trust me when i say that you are not the original owner of any land.
[/color]

Was the area sparsely settled, or what exactly was the average number of Binis who migrated there?

what time frame?

I suspect there was a lot of migration to Benin and also a larger migration out of it, within this migratory timeframe a lot of southern Nigerians refer to. In other words, there is unexplained presence of various peoples known as Benin who resided in that area at some point in time, and later moved to other areas, for various reasons most of which are actually unknown but are explained as various legends.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Yeske2(m): 1:42am On Apr 10, 2015
What's the motive behind ressurecting this thread? Na wah o
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by nduchucks: 1:44am On Apr 10, 2015
phreakabit:

In a normal society this man should be able to walk into YOUR FATHER[size=5pt]'s[/size]! house,kick him out and then impose himself on the rest of you , as the head of the family. "One Nigeria"! Fncking slowpoke!

mtcheeew. Thread is years old.
Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by Scatterboss(m): 2:33am On Apr 10, 2015
Lolz

1 Like

Re: Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo by tpiadotcom: 3:56am On Apr 10, 2015
nduchucks:

mtcheeew. Thread is years old.

the post you quoted does not correlate with your response.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yes, Jonathan Has Delivered For His Friends – El-rufai / Nigeria Will Be Amongst The First Industrialised Countries By 2020 / Thunder Strike You There..After Watching This Video And Still Believe In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.