Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,467 members, 7,830,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 (47497 Views)

Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. / Meet Wole Olanipekun; Tinubu's Lead Counsel At The Presidential Tribunal / Wole Olanipekun, 49 Others To Defend Tinubu At Electoral Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 8:48pm On Jul 16, 2023
Spy360:

Yes. So when the physical result is in dispute due to alleged manipulation, IREV takes precedence.

And when irev is in dispute,you bring agent or police copies
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Penguin2: 8:51pm On Jul 16, 2023
garfield1:

That is why I said the military never intended to be a state but below a state.the slcommittee report and constitution upgraded it to a state level not above
Are we talking about intention or the letters of the law?
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Penguin2: 8:53pm On Jul 16, 2023
Enice:
He never presented anything. He just dumped documents on the laps of the judges. The court is not a father Xmas. You have to articulate you case properly to get anything. Livy is now expecting the judges to go and study hundreds of thousands of documents and then agree with his pleadings while he goes home to fvck his wife abi? Wrong, it's not done.
Oh! Now you accept he presented evidences but that he ‘dumped’ them in court.

Who are you to determine what was dumped in court and what was not?
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Penguin2: 8:55pm On Jul 16, 2023
bigtt76:
I want to ask, does the constitution prescribe the 25% majority in state capital for gubernatorial elections?

Did you see anywhere the constitution stated that a governorship candidate must score 25% in 2/3 of the LGA of the state and the capital territory?
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by emerged01(m): 8:55pm On Jul 16, 2023
Spy360:

Yes I believe he intentionally ignored it. I think the reason is that it won't favour him. It's that simple.

Hence why we said his defense was too poor for his level. This case using the 2022 EA does not favour APC/Tinubu.
Hmm,his defense was poor for his level? Na judge go decide that one o. If you are a lawyer you should know that,me I no be lawyer but i meet am for house.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Ilekokonit: 8:57pm On Jul 16, 2023
sultanofpigs:
Wole Olanikpekun has stolen TINUBUs mandate and given it back to PO, by virtue of his uselessness as a poorly trained SAN.

Olanikpekun is an Oluwole graduate...

Why quote an electoral act of 1979, which has already been modified in 1999? This man is totally shameless and immensely foolish.

Mizcreants think Propaganda will work for them... grin

Similar to quoting the Finance Act 1979 instead of the new one enacted by law in 2023 in the UK.

It will not work because the tax rates, thresholds and allowances change with every new finance act.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Yankolosky(m): 8:57pm On Jul 16, 2023
Unfortunately, we have people with low mentality and gullible here. If you read the defense very you will know that Osun supreme Court case was also quoted. Make sure you have adequate information before you comment here
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by ednut1(m): 8:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
seunmsg:

Source?
heard it on an audio app from a lawyer Dr ope banwo. Someone on Twitter also said so. If you can go find the court documents you will see it. It was a mago mago ruling

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Yankolosky(m): 8:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
Study the the report again. He referred to Osun case in defence of Atiku petition. The same rule is applicable to the two petitions
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Wkaay(m): 9:02pm On Jul 16, 2023
Use what you see to get what you want
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Famous606: 9:04pm On Jul 16, 2023
Hollygrail:
Osun State case is at the state level and not Federal. Also, 1979 constitution amendment birth 1999 constitution and there have several amendments and reforms since then. So, I can tell you that Mr. Olanipekun is right for stating the 1979 constitution. It's allowed.
You are sick in the head ,better wake up
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Espelbengz(m): 9:06pm On Jul 16, 2023
After this tribunal, the judges needs to call obi and his gang of elupee lawyers and flog them for wasting their precious time over inanities!
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Spy360(m): 9:12pm On Jul 16, 2023
garfield1:

And when irev is in dispute,you bring agent or police copies
At least you have accepted the fact IREV is critical.

Olanipekun's defense totally nullified the value/importance of IREV. That's why I said his defense is poor as you have admitted.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:12pm On Jul 16, 2023
Hollygrail:
Osun State case is at the state level and not Federal. Also, 1979 constitution amendment birth 1999 constitution and there have several amendments and reforms since then. So, I can tell you that Mr. Olanipekun is right for stating the 1979 constitution. It's allowed.
leave the lawyer to chase shadows... After the judgment LP pple ll wail tire
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by seunmsg(m): 9:13pm On Jul 16, 2023
ednut1:
heard it on an audio app from a lawyer Dr ope banwo. Someone on Twitter also said so. If you can go find the court documents you will see it. It was a mago mago ruling

I’m sure you know that a tweet from a Peter Obi supporter is not a credible source.

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Spy360(m): 9:13pm On Jul 16, 2023
emerged01:

Hmm,his defense was poor for his level? Na judge go decide that one o. If you are a lawyer you should know that,me I no be lawyer but i meet am for house.
It's hard defending evil that is so glaring even the blind can see it.

He is doing a very difficult job.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by ednut1(m): 9:16pm On Jul 16, 2023
seunmsg:

I’m sure you know that a tweet from a Peter Obi supporter is not a credible source.
i never said it was. I heard it after elections from dr ope banwo on clubhouse. I would have gone to look for the actual ruling. But it’s asking for subscription. The case has not been cited for that reason obviously
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by seunmsg(m): 9:18pm On Jul 16, 2023
Spy360:

You skipped my earlier posts. I wasn't referring to FCT.

There are several other areas the Osun Petition relates with the PEPT, but he never thought it wise to cite any of them. Not even one.

This thread is about why Wole Olanipekun quoted Awolowo vs Shagari instead of Osun state judgement and you supported the OP. Since Wole quoted Awolowo vs Shagari in his argument regarding the FCT case, tell us where Supreme Court addressed 25% in FCT in the Osun matter or in any other case previously decided.

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by gotnel: 9:20pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:

https://twitter.com/AustinNwabufo/status/1680434282739662848?t=WaX_LL4N5AXmFntMIfABWw&s=19

Reading through the written address of Tinubu and Shettima lawyers at the ongoing election petition tribunal led by supposed respected senior lawyer Wole Olanipekun, one can’t help but giggle at the hollowness and shallowness of their defense.

In the address, Mr Olanipekun was busy citing the case of Shagari vs Awolowo that happened as far back as 1979 under the 1979 Constitution and in election conducted by FEDECO, as our electoral commission was called then.

Since 1979, we’ve have had many reformations to our electoral laws and have even changed our constitution.

If anything, the most relevant case as far as election cases are concerned in Nigeria today, is the Supreme Court ruling in Osun in case of Oyetola vs Adeleke. This case is the most relevant because it is the only Supreme Court decision since the Electoral Act 2022 came into force.

Ironically, Mr Olanipekun surreptitiously ignored the Osun case which has a lot of similarities with the case at PEPT as they both bother on the place of technology in our election and to what degree INEC can choose to apply or ignore technology in our elections.

It is pertinent to state these things for the world to hear, read and see, so that we all keep an eye on the judiciary and see what comes out it.

Remember that it is not enough to do justice, justice must also be seen to have been done.

You can sit down at a certain corner of your comfort zone to want to teach team of eminent SANs how to defend their clients.
Everyone is fine to bring up what they taught in any way.
Let the judges decide
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by seunmsg(m): 9:22pm On Jul 16, 2023
ednut1:
i never said it was. I heard it after elections from dr ope banwo on clubhouse. I would have gone to look for the actual ruling. But it’s asking for subscription. The case has not been cited for that reason obviously

The case has never been cited before simply because we’ve never had any similar case since then. This is the closest we’ve seen in similarity to the case and it’s only sensible for a good lawyer to reference the case as it’s the only relevant precedent.

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 9:23pm On Jul 16, 2023
Spy360:

At least you have accepted the fact IREV is critical.

Olanipekun's defense totally nullified the value/importance of IREV. That's why I said his defense is poor as you have admitted.

You are contradicting yourself.olanipekun defense is unassailable,obi team won't have answer to that.irev is critical in the absence of form ec8a but in this case,it's over for obi
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 9:24pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:

Are we talking about intention or the letters of the law?

Intention is what drives the letters.with this ambiguity,the intention will be looked at
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by emerged01(m): 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2023
Spy360:

It's hard defending evil that is so glaring even the blind can see it.

He is doing a very difficult job.

K
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by searchlight: 9:27pm On Jul 16, 2023
APCNig:
Just wait till someone in your generation gets to Olanipekun’s level
And you haven't waited for anyone on your entire state to reach obi's level before commenting. Do you now realize that you dint have sense?
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by MatrixCircle: 9:34pm On Jul 16, 2023
According to Matthew Kukah in his last address. The may be a possibility of an offside President being sworn in , we are still waiting for the result of the VAR from the referee.

That's the football match our democracy is playing.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by MetaFiles230709: 9:35pm On Jul 16, 2023
DaddyCoool:
This case is NOT about what is the law. It is about who are the judges. ALL these judges were appointed by APC and can be retired by Tinubu who also has the power to appoint them - and have whoever he appoints swiftly confirmed by the APC senate.
Bottom line, this is a kangaroo trial

So you are confirming that Nigeria is useless since the judiciary is compromised.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Spy360(m): 9:36pm On Jul 16, 2023
garfield1:

You are contradicting yourself.olanipekun defense is unassailable,obi team won't have answer to that.irev is critical in the absence of form ec8a but in this case,it's over for obi
It's you that is contradicting Olanipekun. 😂😂😂

Your learned silk said IREV is irrelevant. 😂

You see that you just want to defend something that is not true just because it's APC.

You have been roped by your own convictions, yet you are still denying.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Spy360(m): 9:39pm On Jul 16, 2023
seunmsg:

This thread is about why Wole Olanipekun quoted Awolowo vs Shagari instead of Osun state judgement and you supported the OP. Since Wole quoted Awolowo vs Shagari in his argument regarding the FCT case, tell us where Supreme Court addressed 25% in FCT in the Osun matter or in any other case previously decided.
Is 25% in FCT the only item in the petition?

Try get sense na. Just try.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 9:39pm On Jul 16, 2023
Spy360:

It's you that is contradicting Olanipekun. 😂😂😂

Your learned silk said IREV is irrelevant. 😂

You see that you just want to defend something that is not true just because it's APC.

You have been roped by your own convictions, yet you are still denying.

Wole has buried obi
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by okuta007: 9:40pm On Jul 16, 2023
helinues:
Wailers should rest IJN

Is Osun election federal election?

Why are there so many half baked lots in the opposition's camp?

was there BVAS in 1979 federal election conducted by FEDECO - now INEC

even with the different names of FEDECO and INEC - and electoral processes and even different number of states (19) in 1979 and (36) in 2023 - worthless Olanipekun still went ahead to cite the case - what a confused fellow

and those comparing his victory in 2019 to this 2023 situation are comparing apples to oranges
2019 is same number of states and most things are same but nothing 1979
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by discusant: 9:40pm On Jul 16, 2023
bigtt76:
I want to ask, does the constitution prescribe the 25% majority in state capital for gubernatorial elections?

No. But because the president also acts as governor of Abuja, that's why the Constitution made it mandatory for a president to score 25% of votes in Abuja capital territory before declared winner of a presidential election.
A presidential candidate can win all the 36 states, but if he fails to win 25% of votes in Abuja capital territory, he cannot be declared winner of a presidential election.
The constitution is not ambiguous on that.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by dapadawee: 9:53pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:

https://twitter.com/AustinNwabufo/status/1680434282739662848?t=WaX_LL4N5AXmFntMIfABWw&s=19

Reading through the written address of Tinubu and Shettima lawyers at the ongoing election petition tribunal led by supposed respected senior lawyer Wole Olanipekun, one can’t help but giggle at the hollowness and shallowness of their defense.

In the address, Mr Olanipekun was busy citing the case of Shagari vs Awolowo that happened as far back as 1979 under the 1979 Constitution and in election conducted by FEDECO, as our electoral commission was called then.

Since 1979, we’ve have had many reformations to our electoral laws and have even changed our constitution.

If anything, the most relevant case as far as election cases are concerned in Nigeria today, is the Supreme Court ruling in Osun in case of Oyetola vs Adeleke. This case is the most relevant because it is the only Supreme Court decision since the Electoral Act 2022 came into force.

Ironically, Mr Olanipekun surreptitiously ignored the Osun case which has a lot of similarities with the case at PEPT as they both bother on the place of technology in our election and to what degree INEC can choose to apply or ignore technology in our elections.

It is pertinent to state these things for the world to hear, read and see, so that we all keep an eye on the judiciary and see what comes out it.

Remember that it is not enough to do justice, justice must also be seen to have been done.
Many things have change but this particular one hasn't changed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Post Pictures Of The Current Infrastructural Development In Your State / 6 Areas Buhari Is Searching For Oil In Nigeria (LIST) / Osinbajo Stopped His Convoy To Engage Protesters That Blocked Road (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.