Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,077 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 (47537 Views)

Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. / Meet Wole Olanipekun; Tinubu's Lead Counsel At The Presidential Tribunal / Wole Olanipekun, 49 Others To Defend Tinubu At Electoral Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by duro4chang(m): 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2023
Bobloco:
Wole Olanipekun is merely giving Tinubu, APC and their supporters false hope
I hope you will not change the narrative when the judgment is delivered.

2 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by duro4chang(m): 2:23pm On Jul 16, 2023
DaddyCoool:
This case is NOT about what is the law. It is about who are the judges. ALL these judges were appointed by APC and can be retired by Tinubu who also has the power to appoint them - and have whoever he appoints swiftly confirmed by the APC senate.
Bottom line, this is a kangaroo trial
Fear fear. You do not believe in court yet you went there for judgment.

3 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by XY23: 2:36pm On Jul 16, 2023
I've always said when someone doesn't learn to separate propaganda from truth, it makes them sound unintelligent. PO didn't graduate with third class. Intelligent ko, intelligentsia ni.

Many of you will fail basic logic test.

walex2:
You are one of the intelligent guy in this forum, sometimes I just feel like puking reading some comment here online, no wonder their emperor was a third class graduate, when they mention Osun case they quickly forget that by that judgement the precedent will follow the supreme court judgement, I do ask them that APC lawyers were too wise, they deliberately made a resolution that none of the legal team must address the press. When they talk about FCT votes we always tell them that constitution will never make Abuja votes more superior than Abia or Kano votes. Whenever they talk about drug Case I always remember them that thesame Tinubu have been a senator and two term Governor. If Obasanjo and Jonathan could not remove Tinubu when he was in opposition it must be fooly of you to think that TINUBU will be sacked as a sitting president. What Moronic obi supporters we have here

5 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Aquila99: 2:46pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:

I knew the reference was about the FCT argument.

But these are the facts…

In 1979, the FCT was Lagos.

In 1979, the constitution in use was 1979 constitution.

But in 2023, the FCT is Abuja.

And the constitution in use is 1999 constitution which gave a special status to Abuja following the recommendation of the Committee on the FCT; this special status was not enjoyed by Lagos as FCT.

Again, the argument is not about satisfying “2/3” but about satisfying a quasi-independent provision of “25% in the FCT”.

You see why citing that Awolowo vs Shagari case is near useless to the case at hand?

Lol. D way una dey write rubbish full everywia sef. One u nobi lawyer, not even charge & bail. Now u think u know more dan a SAn dat have gone tru dis PEPT like 3 times. With oda top high cases. Tomorrow now, if d court rules in his favour now. U start singing about how d Judges are all corrupt.

5 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Penguin2: 2:47pm On Jul 16, 2023
seunmsg:

Lagos as FCT was geographically and administratively different from Lagos state. Shehu Shagari appointed John Jatau Kadiya as minister of FCT while Jakande served as the democratically elected governor of Lagos state. Both existed side by side with clear boundaries until IBB moved FCT to Abuja in 1991 and Lagos FCT was merged with Lagos state to form a bigger Lagos state. Stop trying to muddle up facts when I’m here.

Now, you think it was impossible for the framers of 1999 Constitution to do the same for Abuja or call it a state as it was for Lagos in the 1979 constitution?

4 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by DaddyCoool: 2:51pm On Jul 16, 2023
duro4chang:
Fear fear. You do not believe in court yet you went there for judgment.

Foolery. It's like going to APC and using logic and argument to convince them Tinubu did not win!

2 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by famology(m): 3:10pm On Jul 16, 2023
For me this case is won and lost already. We're just waiting for the obidiotssssss to start hauling insults on the Judges.

6 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by duro4chang(m): 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2023
DaddyCoool:

Foolery. It's like going to APC and using logic and argument to convince them Tinubu did not win!
O'bingos are miscreants constituting nuisance here and there. Obi is a sore loser. Obi can never be president. Ntooor!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Enice(m): 3:35pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:
Reading through the written address of Tinubu and Shettima lawyers at the ongoing election petition tribunal led by supposed respected senior lawyer Wole Olanipekun, one can’t help but giggle at the hollowness and shallowness of their defense.

In the address, Mr Olanipekun was busy citing the case of Shagari vs Awolowo that happened as far back as 1979 under the 1979 Constitution and in election conducted by FEDECO, as our electoral commission was called then.

Since 1979, we’ve have had many reformations to our electoral laws and have even changed our constitution.

If anything, the most relevant case as far as election cases are concerned in Nigeria today, is the Supreme Court ruling in Osun in case of Oyetola vs Adeleke. This case is the most relevant because it is the only Supreme Court decision since the Electoral Act 2022 came into force.

Ironically, Mr Olanipekun surreptitiously ignored the Osun case which has a lot of similarities with the case at PEPT as they both bother on the place of technology in our election and to what degree INEC can choose to apply or ignore technology in our elections.

It is pertinent to state these things for the world to hear, read and see, so that we all keep an eye on the judiciary and see what comes out it.

Remember that it is not enough to do justice, justice must also be seen to have been done.
The Osun case does not relate to the part he cited. Osun case is about overvoting, the presidential election case is about IREV and 25% in Abuja. Pray tell, how do these two relate? Obi's lawyers did not even contest a single vote be deducted from that of Tinubu's vote because they did not show any cause for that. They never tendered or defended any form EC8A which is the basis for such exercise, neither did they present any BVAS to challenge accreditation of result. Please you guys should think before spewing trash.

9 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Enice(m): 3:45pm On Jul 16, 2023
seunmsg:

You should wait for Obi’s watery response and stop having sleepless nights over Tinubu’s defense. You can even join Livy and the other incompetent clowns handling Peter Obi’s petition to come up with their final address. Tell them the law to quote and the one not to quote.
they have no precedence. They cannot quote anything. They will just be rigmaroling about without making any sense. How does a SAN go to court to defend IREV when form EC8A is available? I will like to see the way they will twist and turn their way out of the snake Oga Wole has set on their part.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 3:57pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:

Good!

Now, if Abuja was not intended to have a special status, why was it not just designated a state in the 1999 constitution just like Lagos was a state in the 1979 constitution?

Abuja was never meant to be a state.the military never made it a state.the drafters of the constitution don't have the powers to make it a state so they did the best they can,that is to treat it as a state though it is less than a state.abuja is like a slave treated as freeborn

5 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by computer0810(m): 3:57pm On Jul 16, 2023
Bobloco:
Wole Olanipekun is merely giving Tinubu, APC and their supporters false hope

We will know who is giving their supporters false hope soon😂😂😂

That u believe tribunal will just declare victory for obi shows u and most of u have brain problems

3 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by seanfer(m): 4:13pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:

I knew the reference was about the FCT argument.

But these are the facts…

In 1979, the FCT was Lagos.

In 1979, the constitution in use was 1979 constitution.

But in 2023, the FCT is Abuja.

And the constitution in use is 1999 constitution which gave a special status to Abuja following the recommendation of the Committee on the FCT; this special status was not enjoyed by Lagos as FCT.

Again, the argument is not about satisfying “2/3” but about satisfying a quasi-independent provision of “25% in the FCT”.

You see why citing that Awolowo vs Shagari case is near useless to the case at hand?

Judgements can be referenced no matter if the constitution used back then is outdated. Simple logic.

4 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by fergie001: 4:28pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:

Instead bringing these judgments in isolation, why not also state the the matter in contention when the judgment was made?

Section 299 likened Abuja to a state strictly as it regards the administration of the territory. The section even started with a clause, “accordingly”, and then went on to enumerate what it was referring to when it said that the FCT should be treated as a state. There are 3 subsections to that section and none referred to matter of election. Now in law, what is not mentioned is not stated; you can’t add to the constitution what it did not say.

This goes to say that Section 299 likening Abuja to a State in terms of its administration does not preclude its place as part of electoral criteria that MUST be satisfied before one is validly elected president. That is to either win it or score at least 25%.

If we interpret the constitution the way you folks have been doing, then every successive section of the constitution will nullify the previous section when it regards same matter or subject.

Garfield1
So the Constitution likened Abuja to a State for administrative purposes, then for election purposes, it likened Abuja above a State?

Right?

5 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by fergie001: 4:31pm On Jul 16, 2023
garfield1:

You think they don't know? They know but it doesn't suit their narrative.all arguments about fct being mandatory is watery and untenable.abj has no gov,has just two reps,one senator,no legislature just 6 lgas which means it is a quasi or semi state in reality but the constitution has stated that it should be seen as a state to avoid inequality,confusion, discrimination.all apex court judgments has restated this.there is no way they will now elevate abj over other states.
If Lagos or a proper state was the fct,then this argument can be tenable.we can from one to two not one and jump to 3
I don't even know how or what to say again...... I have explained over and over again.

4 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by seunmsg(m): 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2023
Penguin2:

Now, you think it was impossible for the framers of 1999 Constitution to do the same for Abuja or call it a state as it was for Lagos in the 1979 constitution?

See, there is nothing to argue about this FCT thing. Section 299 has clarified the legal status of FCT and that’s it. Supreme Court have ruled severally along this line so it’s not going to change.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by Aiel123: 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2023
fergie001:

I don't even know how or what to say again...... I have explained over and over again.
Call it quit with the explanations
Who hear make him hear... period.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2023
fergie001:

That is why I usually gloat after victory.

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 5:15pm On Jul 16, 2023
fergie001:

So the Constitution likened Abuja to a State for administrative purposes, then for election purposes, it likened Abuja above a State?

Right?

Very funny..by the way,alcaraz is good.what a boy

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 5:16pm On Jul 16, 2023
Aiel123:

That's just it.okowa and sheriff struggling over cabinet

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by ExudeLoveToAll: 5:19pm On Jul 16, 2023
mexxy1:
I'm not a lawyer but, I don't think one will cite a case won by a lawyer in the team challenging his client.

If I remember correctly, Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN) was in the legal team of Ademola Adeleke and is representing Peter Obi so, you can't blame the man, Wole Olanipekun (SAN) for ignoring the judgement and cite the one of the '70's.

That's how I see it.

I get you but that's not the reason. The reason is that the fact of the case led by Ikpeazu isn't relevant to what Woke wants. If it was, LP counsel leading Ademola case has nothing to do with citing that case in court.
Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by fergie001: 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2023
Aiel123:

The moment Obi & Atiku separated, they gave a free ride to Tinubu.
So they should deal with it.
2027, God keeping us alive, the margin will be more.

Everybody already knows where the judgement is headed unless we want to deceive ourselves.

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by chatinent: 5:58pm On Jul 16, 2023
garfield1:

You tried but destroyed it with your bias.apc did not rig or use inec to rig.it was just a simple calculation.they massively defeated lp in the core north which covered lp votes in se SS.why do you guys keep forgetting this? Do you even need to rig lp in zamfara,borno, sokoto?

I understand you bro but they'd still defeat LP in the north if they didn't still rig it. LP was just poor in politics...they would have gotten handful votes there.

I'm not against the rigging tho. It's still politics.

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by chatinent: 6:01pm On Jul 16, 2023
walex2:
You are one of the intelligent guy in this forum, sometimes I just feel like puking reading some comment here online, no wonder their emperor was a third class graduate, when they mention Osun case they quickly forget that by that judgement the precedent will follow the supreme court judgement, I do ask them that APC lawyers were too wise, they deliberately made a resolution that none of the legal team must address the press. When they talk about FCT votes we always tell them that constitution will never make Abuja votes more superior than Abia or Kano votes. Whenever they talk about drug Case I always remember them that thesame Tinubu have been a senator and two term Governor. If Obasanjo and Jonathan could not remove Tinubu when he was in opposition it must be fooly of you to think that TINUBU will be sacked as a sitting president. What Moronic obi supporters we have here

Let's just say Tinubu is very smart at covering his tracks.

3 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by chidiokay: 6:03pm On Jul 16, 2023
Beremx:
Wole Olanipekun is overrated. Defending Tinubu at the tribunal has exposed a lot. It is really difficult defending a stolen mandate

And how many cases have you supervised to arrive at such lame asertion,
as bird take fly the hunter go follow throw stone

Were OBi's lawyers exceptional or give a revelation Nigerians have not heard or seen before, same old shit
Tinubu lawyers are in court to defend, don't expect tik tak or skills, most football fans find chelsea football boring at the time they play "pack bus " guys can relate.

Obi lawyers are the ones looking for goal, they owe you thrills and intrigues you anticipated

2 Likes

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by garfield1: 6:27pm On Jul 16, 2023
chatinent:

I understand you bro but they'd still defeat LP in the north if they didn't still rig it. LP was just poor in politics...they would have gotten handful votes there.

I'm not against the rigging tho. It's still politics.

True.with or without rigging,lp were losing.best thing was runners up

1 Like

Re: PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 by udemzyudex(m): 6:48pm On Jul 16, 2023
Lol.. cos he thought everything is base on technicality cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Flaunts ₦160 Million Patek Philippe Wristwatch - Gazette / Court Stops Labour From Going On Strike Over Fuel Price Hike / Wabba Led NLC Suspends Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.