Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,389 members, 7,861,077 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:17 PM

Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife (2229 Views)

Yoruba In Badagry Are From Ile-ife, Not Ghana – High Chief Wawu / Despite Meeting With Tinubu, Northern Bishops Insist They Won't Support Him / Danjuma And Ishaku In US; Insist Fulani Herdsmen Are Killing Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 12:56pm On Jul 16, 2023
A guy makes a claim with no evidence, I come and prove him wrong with evidence. And this one here is talking about "opinions" and then asking me if I think my evidence is better.
You guys are real fanatics.

ttps://uniquemaps.eu/products/rare-old-map-of-africa-1747-by-emanuel-bowen-pre-colonial-handcoloured-slave-trade-negroland-ethiopia-barbary-nubia

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by waledeji(m): 1:02pm On Jul 16, 2023
TajuDEENaMao:

You think we don't know who you are?

I know you and your family members

Be warned
I know your lineage, 😂😂😂😂
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Padipadi: 1:41pm On Jul 16, 2023
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Cooletempa: 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:
Nobody migrated from Ife, you guys should stop with all these fairytales which are not backed with any evidence.

The Oni of Ife is not an emperor, he is just the monarch of a small village called Ife. These fairytales were made for political reasons. It is time to stop taking the people for fools.

This old foolish benin man is still hating on yorubas.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by ResidentSnitch(f): 3:13pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:

I literally have a book written in the colonial era which states clearly that Yebou is a vassal of Benin.
I don't do tribalism, that is your thing.
You keep making claims but you have no evidence to back your claims.
I provided you with a Precolonial map, and you are calling me a tribal bigot ?
https://uniquemaps.eu/products/rare-old-map-of-africa-1747-by-emanuel-bowen-pre-colonial-handcoloured-slave-trade-negroland-ethiopia-barbary-nubia

Providing evidence makes me a historian (though not my job), not a tribal biggot. You however with no evidence, you keep repeating tribal propaganda.
Create a new thread for this and discuss it to your heart's content.
Don't derail this informative thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Wahabfuture: 4:45pm On Jul 16, 2023
Christistruth03:
The Ijebu Royal families are from Ile Ife though they met some aborigines in the area who had gotten there before the 10th Century
It was they who built the Eredo Sugbo Earthworks which was dated to the ,9th Century

There is a Claim that the Aboriginal Ijebu, the Kanuri of Borno and some Sudanese Tribes had very Similar Tribal Marks and considered themselves relatives

Many Ijebu still migrated from Ile Ife though like the Ijebu Ife People

The Ijebu,Akoko ,Ilaje,Owu,Ijesha ,Ekiti were all considered to be of the ,Igbo Heritage they were the People Oduduwa's group met at Ile Ife

Oduduwa's settler group appeared to be more related to the Nupes ,Kanuri, Gobir People whose ancestors had also migrated from the Sudan Area but after the Ugbo People who had settled in the SW long before Oduduwa Settlers arrived , though Oduduwa was said by Prof Akinbanji to have been born near ife he was from a Settler group that was more related to the Nupes than the Aboriginal Ugbo

Pure lies from the pit of hell, I married to an Ijebu-ode woman, Ijebus came from Sudan, I don't know why you people like to twist everything, I am 100% sure you have never been to Ijebu. spit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 6:51pm On Jul 16, 2023
Wahabfuture:

Pure lies from the pit of hell, I married to an Ijebu-ode woman, Ijebus came from Sudan, I don't know why you people like to twist everything, I am 100% sure you have never been to Ijebu. spit

The Awujale himself who told you the Story is of Oyo Ancestry

it was because he didn't like the fact that Alaafin was above him in the Oba hierarchy that he came out with that

pre Oduduwa histrory

The first Awujale was an Oyo Ilari ( Palace Official) who was sent by the Alaafin to Settle down in the middle of two Ijebu communities

that where battling each other over a piece of Territory

Because of the high regard both communities had for Alaafin , neither of them passed the Ilaris new residence in the middle

of both communities to attack the other again

Over the years the Ilari became the recognised head of both communities out of the respect both had for him

That was how the first king of Ijebu Ode came to be called Awujale ( The Settler of the Land dispute)

i would advise you to humbly apply to your neighbours the Igala, Ijaw and the Edo to supply what they know about your History and start from there to compile and truthfully build a Comprehensive History of your People instead of attacking the History of others all day long

it was the Pre Oduduwa Ijebus who were already around Lagos in the 9th Century that the Awujale was referring to as being from Sudan but Oduduwa and his Princes united all those they met on ground

The Ijebus were generally Aborigines that Oduduwa met on ground who later adopted mainly the Oduduwa Princes as their Obas

Almost all their Monarchs descended from Oduduwa

1 Like

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 7:39pm On Jul 16, 2023
Padipadi:

Are you now saying your evidence is better?
Don't derail this thread.

In this map you displayed, other notable kingdoms weren't displayed. Is this a customised one for Benin or what?
Moreso, you seem to be from Benin.
My origin is irrelevant as I present evidence which doesn't care about my origin.
The map was published in 1747 and it was made by people who witnessed that era of time, unless you have magical powers to know better than them what you did not witness and which they did witness, you have to change the way you think in order to adapt to reality rather than changing reality in order to adapt to the way you think. Many places which you call kingdom today were either not created in 1747 or were mere villages part of other kingdoms then. You guys in Nigeria have a bad idea of the concept of time, you believe that whatever you can see today has always existed (and in that form)
This guy dared ask me if the precolonial map was costume made for Benin 🤣

https://uniquemaps.eu/products/rare-old-map-of-africa-1747-by-emanuel-bowen-pre-colonial-handcoloured-slave-trade-negroland-ethiopia-barbary-nubia

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Padipadi: 7:46pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:

My origin is irrelevant as I present evidence which doesn't care about my origin.
The map was published in 1747 and it was made by people who witnessed that era of time, unless you have magical powers to know better than them what you did not witness and which they did witness, you have to change the way you think in order to adapt to reality rather than changing reality in order to adapt to the way you think.

This guy dared ask me if the precolonial map was costume made for Benin 🤣
You actually have a problem of not being able to face what you dish out!
It's not about changing your reality cos your reality is actually faulty.
How can a map of Africa of 1747 not have Oyo empire? Cos if it has Oyo, almost all yorubaland will be there. You are a Benin boy. With due respect to your kingdom, some of you just come and narrate what suits you. Allow others narrate their own too.
Your map is not a correct map or a yardstick to determine that Ijebu was vassal to Benin.
The Ijebus have always been independent on their own.
In fact, all Ijebu people come out. Cone and feast on this boy that's distorting your history.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Padipadi: 7:48pm On Jul 16, 2023
Cooletempa:

no mind the ogogoro boy. Naso he dey do everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 7:48pm On Jul 16, 2023
Padipadi:

How can a map of Africa of 1747 not have Oyo empire?
Because there was never an oyo empire to start with !
It is just very strange that you rather dismiss hard evidence than dismiss your unsubstantiated beliefs.
Oyo was a small kingdom.
You are supposed to look for precolonial maps to see when its existence started, not to already have a belief and dismiss Precolonial maps for not validating your beliefs.

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Padipadi: 7:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:

It is just very strange that you rather dismiss hard evidence than dismiss your unsubstantiated beliefs.
Oyo was a small kingdom.
You are supposed to look for precolonial maps to see when its existence started, not to already have a belief and dismiss Precolonial maps for not validating your beliefs.
Ok. Cos there was never a Benin too. It was a kingdom that Ife people trained their artisans bronze that got into limelight cos of 1897 British invasion.
If you can distort history, yours too ll be distorted. Your map is a fake map.

To add to this, every tribe, tom dick and harry now believe they can say trash about Yorubas. Are you all mad?
E fe sofo ni?
Are Yorubas the cause of your misfortunes?
Everyone is enduring Nigeria so don't put mouth in others business/history/politics.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Gajagojo: 7:56pm On Jul 16, 2023
TajuDEENaMao:
Whenever you read the account of the Ijebu people about their origin they usually insist they are not from Ile-Ife, as history presents it.

They always trace their history to Sudan.

Let’s tell you more about their account as contained in brochures emanating from Awujale’s palace in Ijebu-Ode. See their account below.

Lying mainly in the deciduos forest region of Nigeria, Ijebu is bounded on the east by the Ondo territory, on the West by the Egba territory, on the South by the Lagos and the North by Ibadan. Apart from its capital town of Ijebu-Ode, the principal towns are Abigi, Ago-Iwoye, Arijan, Ejinrin, Epe, Idowa, Ikorodu, Ijebu-Igbo, Ijebu-Ife, Ijebu-Irnushin, Ikenne, Iperu, Ilishan, Imobi, Isara, Iwopin, Isiwo, Ode, Omu, Owu-Ijebu, and Sagamu.

The Ijebu who called themselves the ‘whitemen of the interior’ occupied a central position among the states of the Yoruba speaking people of Western Nigeria. But the name Yoruba was previously applicable only to the Oyo whose kingdom, as years went by, became so powerful as to include several of the other kingdoms. Indeed, until the latter part of the nineteenth century the non-Oyo never accepted the designation of Yoruba.

The bulk of Yoruba people regard Ijebus as peripheral Yorubas, while the Ijebu themselves do not hide the fact that the cohesion between them and others who call themselves central Yoruba has been the result of cultural and political interaction over the centuries. Time itself has taken care of these legends as the various groups of people in western Nigeria have come to accept common nationality as Yoruba; be they Ekiti, Ijesha, Egba, Ondo, Ijebu etc. even among the Ijebus, there are conflicting claim to the source of origin depending on the political intention of those concerned,

There. Is nothing like

THE IJEBU
There are dozens of different Ijebu groups and there was never a time when they were all under the Awujale.
The claim that THE IJEBU Neo not trace ancestry to IleIfe is false
if indeed the Awujale said so he can only speak for Ijebu Ode
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Gajagojo: 7:58pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:

Oyo was a small kingdom.

Who drew this map?
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 7:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
Gajagojo:

Who drew this map?
Emanuel Bowen.
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 8:01pm On Jul 16, 2023
Padipadi:

Ok. Cos there was never a Benin too. It was a kingdom that Ife people trained their artisans bronze that got into limelight cos of 1897 British invasion.
If you can distort history, yours too ll be distorted. Your map is a fake map.

To add to this, every tribe, tom dick and harry now believe they can say trash about Yorubas. Are you all mad?
E fe sofo ni?
Are Yorubas the cause of your misfortunes?
Everyone is enduring Nigeria so don't put mouth in others business/history/politics.

You are just a fanatic. I brought you evidence, a map drawn by Emanuel Bowen and published in 1747

You guys are not better than boko haram, you are just as fanatical.

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Gajagojo: 8:13pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:

Emanuel Bowen.
On what basis?
Did he ever visit Oyo?
You need to free your mind from colonial mentality

What is Negroland?
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 8:18pm On Jul 16, 2023
Gajagojo:

On what basis?
Did he ever visit Oyo?
You need to free your mind from colonial mentality
1. On the basis of visiting Africa and making maps.
2. I think you should rather ask yourself what form oyo had back then, if you look at the example of Abeokuta, you will see that Abeokuta didn't exist yet, it was created around 1830.
3. What does the map have to do with colonialism?
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 8:20pm On Jul 16, 2023
Gajagojo:

What is Negroland?
You have eyes just like me, I too wasn't born in 1747.
Things were very different back then.

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Padipadi: 8:39pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:

You are just a fanatic. I brought you evidence, a map drawn by Emanuel Bowen and published in 1747

You guys are not better than boko haram, you are just as fanatical.
In fact, me I m brutal than Boko Haram cos I can treat fûck up of a typical Boko Haram.
If not that you v mental issues, you won't disregard other people's history and believe your own ll be spared.
The Benins were subjects of Oranmiyan. After conquering them, he left therr but gave them a Yorubaman called Ewemika, Owomika or Eweka to be their king. So I say it boldly that your present king Ewuare II is a Yoruba man.
Now, feel bad and drink water.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 8:41pm On Jul 16, 2023

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Padipadi: 8:43pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:

1. On the basis of visiting Africa and making maps.
2. I think you should rather ask yourself what form oyo had back then, if you look at the example of Abeokuta, you will see that Abeokuta didn't exist yet, it was created around 1830.
3. What does the map have to do with colonialism?
Historically, Benin is older than Oyo. Cos Oranyan that became your first Oba when your history became traceable founded Oyo after enslaving your people and leaving his son, a Yorubaman there.
But Oyo was founded around the 12th century, few years after Oranmiyan gave birth to Eweka, your first King. Oyo was more developed than Benin in the 1700s. Oyo didn't invade Benin out of brotherly respect of father and son's kingdom. Your Benin was more primitive sef. Maybe you need to start seeing old maps of old Oyo.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 8:44pm On Jul 16, 2023
Bla bla bla bla...
Nobody cares about your fairytales.

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 8:45pm On Jul 16, 2023

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 8:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
The only true oromiyan is that region of Ethiopia which answers that name.
Nigerian oromiyan, Oduduwa...are all fairytales, they never actually existed.
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by T8ksy(m): 9:56pm On Jul 16, 2023
Cooletempa:

And na that hate go send him to his early grave however before that, hin go first enter market naked, with his dumb 18th century map.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Gajagojo: 10:24pm On Jul 16, 2023
Stoplying:

You have eyes just like me, I too wasn't born in 1747.
Things were very different back then.

The land was the same in 1747 It has not increased since 1747

The problem folk like you have is you have no concept of a who you are that is not defined in colonial or European terms

Imagine arguing based on a map of your homeland in 1747 drawn by a person who never went there.

Free your mind of the shackles. Of

Oyinbo talk am so it must be so
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 10:28pm On Jul 16, 2023
Gajagojo:

The land was the same in 1747 It has not increased since 1747
1. Nobody is talking about the land, rather we are talking about precolonial countries, can you see the difference?
For example, if you look at Abeokuta, the land has existed for thousands of years, however Abeokuta itself was created only around 1830 !
2. How would you even know if the land has changed or not ? Were you there in that period of time ?
How do you know if at some point there was not a river, a forest, big houses ....

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 10:32pm On Jul 16, 2023
Gajagojo:

The problem folk like you have is you have no concept of a who you are that is not defined in colonial or European terms
3. Actually your problem is that you do not understand the concept of history ! You can not stand here today and guess what happened hundreds of years ago !!!
You need eyewitness written documents!!! The ethnicity of those who wrote the documents is irrelevant!!!
An eyewitness written document below:

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 10:36pm On Jul 16, 2023
Gajagojo:

Imagine arguing based on a map of your homeland in 1747 drawn by a person who never went there.
4. Imagine being alive in 2023 and arguing about things which took place before your great great great grand father was born ? And arguing without any evidence!!! And arguing against actual evidence !

"Drawn by a person who never went there" : were you there ? Why do you keep saying unsubstantiated nonsense ?
The map was made in 1747 by eyewitnesses, why does this bring about a debate ? Shouldn't you be happy that we have a picture of that era ?
No, because it goes against your ethnic propaganda!
Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 10:40pm On Jul 16, 2023
Gajagojo:

Free your mind of the shackles. Of

Oyinbo talk am so it must be so
Free your mind from the shakles of stupidity and racism.
Eyewitnesses made the map, therefore it must be so.

Are you an eyewitness to the 18th century ?

Emanuel Bowen, 1747

Re: Why The Ijebu Insist They Are Not From Ile-ife by Stoplying: 10:44pm On Jul 16, 2023
I was educated in a country which takes history seriously, you guys in Nigeria are very badly educated in the field of history.
Most of you just keep repeating ethnic propaganda and fairytales and you call that history. When shown actual history, it feels like you are about to have a heart attack.
You guys believe you can just wake up today and by the virtue of your DNA, you would know what happened 300 hundred years ago without any eyewitness written documents.
Just so you know, many of you descend from Brazilian slaves who were deported to our shores by Europeans. So perhaps your magical DNA powers are actually telling you the past of Brazil and not of our region and you just got it confused. Magic is not a precise "science". 😅

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OPC Shot And Killed 2 Igbo Men Point Blank In Lagos State / UMU IGBO, DON’T GET KILLED FOR ATHAN ACHONU AND HIS FULANI WIFE!!!!!! / Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.