Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? (3891 Views)

Is Oral And Anal Sex Spiritually Hygienic In Christian Marriages??? / How To Conquer Barrenness/ Poverty Spiritually & Physically / Chris Okotie Has No Plans To Re-marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by ecenter(m): 8:14am On Oct 07, 2011
The Bible teaches that marriage is meant for life ''until death''. We always interpret this to mean 'carnal death'. What about spiritual death (separation from God)? - When your spouse is living in sin that makes him spiritually dead. Don't you think that she should be separated from you?

please, I need your contributions.Be logical and not abusive please.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Dyt(f): 8:40am On Oct 07, 2011
den wake d spouse up spiritually na
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2011
DYT WTH do u know about spirituality?
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Dyt(f): 8:44am On Oct 07, 2011
i know everyth boi
u cant preach it 2me
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 07, 2011
If u truly do as u ve alleged, why then did u say he should wake the spouse up? Do u think its that easy?
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Dyt(f): 8:54am On Oct 07, 2011
wat cant prayer do Mr?
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 07, 2011
Nothing my dear
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Dyt(f): 9:22am On Oct 07, 2011
gd
tho it myt tk tym bt one ll neva stop
i love my religion
love whom i call my GOD even more
i m proud 2 b a muslim
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 07, 2011
Good for u and thak God its friday. So where are we praying today? I mean the mosque for jumai cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Dyt(f): 9:30am On Oct 07, 2011
leaf me alone jor
walks stylishly outta d thread
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:31am On Oct 07, 2011
Aren't all religious people(christians, muslims) spiritually dead?
ecenter:

The Bible teaches that marriage is meant for life ''until death''. We always interpret this to mean 'carnal death'. What about spiritual death (separation from God)? - When your spouse is living in sin that makes him spiritually dead. Don't you think that she should be separated from you?

please, I need your contributions.Be logical and not abusive please.

Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:34am On Oct 07, 2011
I see that toba is still mistaking religiousity for spirituality. You are have not progressed an inch, toba, havey you? You are still at a standstill.
toba:

DYT WTH do u know about spirituality?
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 07, 2011
brb
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:50am On Oct 07, 2011
Death is death!! If your partner is dead spiritually, that is grounds for divorce, If he/she is dead emotionally - Divorce, Dead sexually - Divorce, Dead mentally - divorce,

Any dead = Divorce
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:50am On Oct 07, 2011
Can you even tell the difference between the two?
toba:

brb
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by manmustwac(m): 9:51am On Oct 07, 2011
@post
If according to your definition living in sin means your spiritually dead then you might as well say all our religious politicians are spiritually dead or our godfearing policemen are spiritually dead customs officers dead  pastors. NEPA is dead roads are dead Infact the whole country is dead
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 07, 2011
Jenwitemi:

I see that toba is still mistaking religiousity for spirituality. You are have not progressed an inch, toba, havey you? You are still at a standstill.

Kindly give the definition/description of both act and i'll tell u where i belong
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by PastorAIO: 1:24pm On Oct 07, 2011
manmustwac:

@post
If according to your definition living in sin means your spiritually dead then you might as well say all our religious politicians are spiritually dead or our godfearing policemen are spiritually dead customs officers dead  pastors. NEPA is dead roads are dead Infact the whole country is dead

Na double wahala for deadi bodi
andi owner of deadi bodi
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Jenwitemi(m): 4:30pm On Oct 07, 2011
Religiousity = Is about a religion and all it's worldly contents and structures, like it's tenets, scriptures, worship of it's central deity(s), it's priesthood(clergy), doctrines and dogmas, and most importantly, it's congregation, or followers or believers or whatever one chooses to call them. A religious person(like you) is the one who lives his life within the confines of this structures and contents, a religious box, so to speak. The act of "linking up" with whatever deity is being worshiped is done externally(via written texts; going church buildings or temples; submission to the clergy; etc). A religious person has an extremely narrow worldview totally demarcated by the tenets of his/her religion. Outside those demarcations, he/she is completely lost.

[b]Spirituality = [/b]The exact opposite of all of the above. The most important, however, is the journey WITHIN that every spiritual man/woman takes to make that link with the universal consciousness, the mind of the creator. It is all about depth, the spiritual depth that lies within all of us.

There are myriads of ways to make the distinction between spirituality and religiousity. I just gave you one. I am sure somebody else can go deeper into the differences according to the way they see it.
Take this one from Eckhart Tolle,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8LuFUJvcOU&feature=related
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 07, 2011
manmustwac:

@post

Very complex mathematical logic !!

[img]http://3.bp..com/_md3_a65cAPo/SEODp-rC3EI/AAAAAAAAACU/55gMx5PR5sE/s400/1111.jpg[/img]
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by benodic: 5:53pm On Oct 07, 2011
@ Jenwitemi

Religiousity = Is about a religion and all it's worldly contents and structures, like it's tenets, scriptures, worship of it's central deity(s), it's priesthood(clergy), doctrines and dogmas, and most importantly, it's congregation, or followers or believers or whatever one chooses to call them. A religious person(like you) is the one who lives his life within the confines of this structures and contents, a religious box, so to speak. The act of "linking up" with whatever deity is being worshiped is done externally(via written texts; going church buildings or temples; submission to the clergy; etc). A religious person has an extremely narrow worldview totally demarcated by the tenets of his/her religion. Outside those demarcations, he/she is completely lost.

Spirituality = The exact opposite of all of the above. The most important, however, is the journey WITHIN that every spiritual man/woman takes to make that link with the universal consciousness, the mind of the creator. It is all about depth, the spiritual depth that lies within all of us.

There are myriads of ways to make the distinction between spirituality and religiousity. I just gave you one. I am sure somebody else can go deeper into the differences according to the way they see it.
Take this one from Eckhart Tolle,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8LuFUJvcOU&feature=related

nice one bro. i couldn't have done a better job. religion actually is the door which should lead into the room which is spirituality. unfortunately people get to the door and stop, then they start singing and dancing and forget about going into the room where the real stuff is waiting for them.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by HISchild: 9:48am On Oct 08, 2011
@ecenter, friend,  all human beings since the fall of man are born spiritually dead, "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." - 1 Corinthians 15:22,  “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of GOD;” - Rom 3:23  "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;" - Ephesians 2:1

These parts of holy scripture,
"For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband." - Romans 7:2, AND

"The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 7:39

- are referring to the physical death of the spouse.  Even in such cases, even when loosed from a wife, and or spouse by physical death, we do not sin if we re-marry, although, we do better if we remain single, serving and pleasing GOD with our entire being, by HIS grace

"Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife." - 1 Corinthians 7:27, "But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife." -  1 Corinthians 7:33

If we have an unbelieving spouse and/or spiritually dead spouse, we are to love them in The Lord, and remain with them until death do you part:
"And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away." - 1 Corinthians 7:10-12
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 08, 2011
His child has said it all.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by HISchild: 2:05am On Oct 09, 2011
strides, To GOD be all praise and glory
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by metro10: 12:28pm On Oct 09, 2011
@HISchild, tnx for the reply. Concise and scriptural.
@posta, are u looking for an excuse to commit adultery?
@all, marriage is more physical than spiritual. It deals with the body. It does mean till we are physically dead, we are in. Stay married and sin not. It's not easy though, but grace is available for purity.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by God2man(m): 1:35pm On Oct 09, 2011
HISchild:

@ecenter, friend,  all human beings since the fall of man are born spiritually dead, "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." - 1 Corinthians 15:22,  “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of GOD;” - Rom 3:23  "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;" - Ephesians 2:1

These parts of holy scripture,
"For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband." - Romans 7:2, AND

"The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 7:39

- are referring to the physical death of the spouse.  Even in such cases, even when loosed from a wife, and or spouse by physical death, we do not sin if we re-marry, although, we do better if we remain single, serving and pleasing GOD with our entire being, by HIS grace

"Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife." - 1 Corinthians 7:27, "But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife." -  1 Corinthians 7:33

If we have an unbelieving spouse and/or spiritually dead spouse, we are to love them in The Lord, and remain with them until death do you part:
"And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away." - 1 Corinthians 7:10-12
That is correct.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by chiteny(m): 8:56am On Oct 10, 2011
In addition to the write up of HisChild,

And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife? (1 Corinthians 7:13-16 KJV)

@OP, 1. Do not look for any excuse to chase your wife and commit adultery.
2. Try to work out the marriage first and leave peaceably with each other. You as the Christian should be the one to initiate this.
3. If however the unbelievingly wife chooses against all reconcilable odds to leave the marriage, you are free to get married to another wife.
4. If you (OP) are a Christian, sanctify or make holy your unbelievingly wife when have intercourse.

These points are clearly referred from the scripture above.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by zataxs: 10:51am On Oct 10, 2011
The best to do when your spouse is spiritually dead is to find out why, and most likely you will find it is a good reason. instead of insisting on a self-righteous path that does not tolerate other opinions and thought.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Nimshi: 11:15am On Oct 16, 2011
- The bible does not exactly teach that marriage is only 'until death'.

- Jesus showed that marriage could end due to some other condition being meet.

- This other condition could be argued to be a form of 'spiritual death'.

- Based on the above, an interesting argument could be tabled for 'spiritual death' being a scriptural basis for divorce and remarriage. However: note that the other specific case where divorce with the prospect of remarriage appears to be allowed in an extreme case. Modernism - even in the strictest of Christian sects - has meant other forms of 'extreme' reasons have been allowed for divorce (preceded by separation), and for some religions, remarriage even when the offending spouse is alive.

- You mention ' . . . living in sin that makes him spiritually dead'; this is rather ambiguous, the exact nature of the wrong would be important in some Christian religious sects. Separation would be 'easy' for a number of serious wrongs.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by seyibrown(f): 4:25pm On Oct 18, 2011
Nimshi:

- The bible does not exactly teach that marriage is only 'until death'.

- Jesus showed that marriage could end due to some other condition being meet.

- This other condition could be argued to be a form of 'spiritual death'.

- Based on the above, an interesting argument could be tabled for 'spiritual death' being a scriptural basis for divorce and remarriage. However: note that the other specific case where divorce with the prospect of remarriage appears to be allowed in an extreme case. Modernism - even in the strictest of Christian sects - has meant other forms of 'extreme' reasons have been allowed for divorce (preceded by separation), and for some religions, remarriage even when the offending spouse is alive.

- You mention ' . . . living in sin that makes him spiritually dead'; this is rather ambiguous, the exact nature of the wrong would be important in some Christian religious sects. Separation would be 'easy' for a number of serious wrongs.

Please, support the above - with full explanation - with the Bible. Thank you!
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by Joagbaje(m): 5:03pm On Oct 18, 2011
ecenter:

a christian is free to come out of a relationship if the partners turns away from christ. But there is a difference between sinning and being a sinner. What I mean is that ,the fact that a man does something wrong doesn't mean he has rejected christ . Until he confess with his mouth that Jesus christ is no lo ger lord . But If it has to do with attitude , he needs restoration and interession.

1 Peter 3:1
. Some husbands may not obey God's word. Their wives could win these men for Christ by the way they live without saying anything.

God didn't say to leave him .

1 John 5:16-17
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
Re: If Your Spouse Is Spiritually Dead, Can You Re-marry? by seyibrown(f): 5:43pm On Oct 18, 2011
Joagbaje:

a christian is free to come out of a relationship if the partners turns away from christ. But there is a difference between sinning and being a sinner. What I mean is that ,the fact that a man does something wrong doesn't mean he has rejected christ . Until he confess with his mouth that Jesus christ is no lo ger lord . But If it has to do with attitude , he needs restoration and interession.

If you are saying the above and not just quoting a previous poster, please, support it with the Bible! Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

£100 To Any Christian Who Can Prove The Hindu God Doesn't Exist / The Right Way Or A Way That Seems Right? / Virgin Mary Spirit Appear On A Wall In A Catholic Church In Edo (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.