Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,213 members, 7,825,802 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

There Will Be Anarchy In Nigeria If You Nullify My Election — Pres. Tinubu Warns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Will Be Anarchy In Nigeria If You Nullify My Election — Pres. Tinubu Warns (244 Views)

Bola Tinubu: Cashless Policy Or Not, My Election Victory Was Always Sure / Stop Dancing ‘skelewu’, Causing Gridlocks On Abuja Streets, Tinubu Warns Atiku / Alhassan Doguwa: Speaker Sent Me Official Cars After My Election Nullification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

There Will Be Anarchy In Nigeria If You Nullify My Election — Pres. Tinubu Warns by Cruztvblog: 8:27am On Jul 17, 2023
There will be anarchy in Nigeria if you nullify my election — Pres. Tinubu warns tribunal

The president, Bola Tinubu has reportedly warned that nullifying the February 25 election that produced him as president could result in absurdity, anarchy and chaos.

According to him, his failure to secure 25% of the lawful votes in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) is not a sufficient reason to nullify his presidency.

President Tinibu presented his arguments in a final written address to the Presidential Election Petition Court (PREPEC), responding to two petitions filed by candidates from the Labour Party (LP) and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), challenging the validity of his victory.

“Any other interpretation different from this will lead to absurdity, chaos, anarchy and alteration of the very intention of the legislature,” Tinubu’s lawyers led by Wole Olanipekun warns.

The lawyers were specifically addressing a section of the Nigerian Constitution that said a presidential candidate must score 25 per cent of votes in two-thirds of Nigeria’s 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Recall that Tinubu won the highest number of votes in a three-way presidential race in February but failed to score 25 per cent in the FCT.

Following reports from the Peoples Gezatte, the lawyers said: “Our courts have always adopted the purposeful approach to the interpretation of our Constitution, as exemplified in a host of decisions.

“Even if there was no election in one State (including the FCT), or even if the election of a State/States (including the FCT) is/are voided, the entire election cannot be voided or canceled, they argued.

In concluding our arguments on this issue, we urge the court to hold that any election where the electorate exercise their plebiscite, there is neither a ‘royal’ ballot nor ‘royal’ voter; and that residents of the FCT do not have any special voting right over residents of any other State of the federation, in a manner similar to the concepts of preferential shareholding in Company Law.

We urge this court to resolve this issue against the petitioners and in favour of the respondent,”….. see more posts [url] https://cruztvblognaija.com.ng/2023/07/16/there-will-be-anarchy-in-nigeria-if-you-nullify-my-election-pres-tinubu-warns-tribunal/[/url]

Re: There Will Be Anarchy In Nigeria If You Nullify My Election — Pres. Tinubu Warns by helinues: 8:28am On Jul 17, 2023
Mynd44
Seun
Oam4j
Mukina
Dominique

Rule 8

8. Don't post false information on Nairaland.

Re: There Will Be Anarchy In Nigeria If You Nullify My Election — Pres. Tinubu Warns by taylor89(m): 8:31am On Jul 17, 2023
kiss
Re: There Will Be Anarchy In Nigeria If You Nullify My Election — Pres. Tinubu Warns by Mynd44: 9:00am On Jul 17, 2023

(1)

Tinubu If You Remove Me There Will Be Chaos And Anarchy / Why Are These Commissioned Projects Not Working Yet? / Nigerians Need To Unite And Shun Tribalism If They Want A Better Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.