Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner (30040 Views)

Governor Adeleke Appoints SSA On Government House Pool / Gov Adeleke Appoints Two Family Members As Commissioners / COVID-19: Wahab Adegbenro Is Dead! Ondo Health Commissioner Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by FreeStuffsNG: 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2023
Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke on Wednesday swore in a lawyer, Sola Akintola as the Commissioner for Health among the 25 newly appointed commissioners.

Speaker of the House of Assembly, Adewale Egbedun announced the confirmation of the appointments after the screening of the 25 commissioner-nominees.

In his remarks during the inauguration at his office in Osogbo, Governor Adeleke stressed he would not condone ‘a solo show’ by any of the appointees.

He said: “I seek a very responsive government that listens and satisfies the wishes of the people. So, your goal must be real service to the people. I value honesty and integrity in public service. You must be above board. Corrupt conducts will be heavily sanctioned.

I love thinking out of the box in governance. As political heads of your ministries, be very innovative. Generate and implement new ideas.

“In times of national economic emergency, I love achieving much with little resources. Be prudent and adopt measures that reduce cost of projects and services.

“As we all know, I am a team player. There won’t be any room for solo actors in our State Executive Council (Exco). You must work as a team with a common goal to make a difference in the lives of our people. Above all, my leadership is about due process and rule of law. You must not cut corners. I will not compromise transparency and accountability.”

One of Aregbesola’s allies, who was the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affair, was assigned Information and Public Enlightenment portfolio, while Biyi Odunlade, who is a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), was assigned Political Affairs and Inter-Government Affiliation portfolio.

Reading the names and portfolios of the commissioners, Governor Adeleke said: “Dr. B. T. Salam (Regional Integration and Special Duties), Morufu Dele Ayanfe (Science, Information and Communication Technology), Mr. Moshood Olagunju (Youth Affairs), Mrs. Adenike Folasade Adeleke (Federal Affairs), Dosu Babatunde (Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs), Alfred Sesan Oyedele, (Transport), Rev. Bunmi Jenyo, (Commerce and Industry), George Alabi (Land and Physical Planning) and Mr. Sola Ogungbile (Finance).”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/adeleke-appoints-lawyer-as-health-commissioner/#google_vignette

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by FreeStuffsNG: 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2023
Well done Gov Adeleke.

It's not compulsory to have a healthcare professional to head the ministry of health. UK, even in the middle of a pandemic had a non-healthcate person lead their health ministry through covid 19 pandemic.

For the health sector in particular, it's a case of a house divided against itself , that's what the Health sector deserves.

Till date, the best period for the health sector was when Pa Obasanjo appointed Prof. Lambo, an Economist, to head the Federal Ministry of Health. He used his independent mind and knowledge to settle most of the issues.

HE Adeleke may be lucky with this idea too. In the health sector, there's so much professional rivalry and I doubt it will end even if you appoint a non-healthcare professional for as long as the professionals don't settle the legions of professional differences. Check my signature for free stuffs!

108 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2023
Fashola is a senior advocate but he was never the minister of justice under Buhari..

l understand that Adeleke is not APC so anything 2 discredit his admin is allowed by Agbado FC. But pls take your searchlight 2 Imo, 0gun, Ebonyi & ondo.. Let us know what they're doing

58 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by TemplarLandry: 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2023
grin

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by helinues: 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2023
Abeg make una let Gov Adeleke be

Buhari also appointed Fashola a lawyer as minister of power

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by Obaaderemi2: 2:27pm On Jul 20, 2023
The secretary of health in America is a lawyer. No big deal.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by tatatar: 2:29pm On Jul 20, 2023
helinues:
Abeg make una let Gov Adeleke be

Buhari also appointed Fashola a lawyer as minister of power
So he could appoint a lawyer as health commissioner but he claimed he couldn't find qualified Muslims abi?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by Throwback: 2:31pm On Jul 20, 2023
It is not weird by the American standards we love to copy and want to relocate to.

Any profession can become any kind of Minister or Commissioner.

Only the Ministry of Justice is exceptional because same Minister/Commissioner serves as the Attorney General who sometimes has to appear in court on behalf of the government.

If I was President/Governor, I would never appoint a Medical Doctor as Minister/Commissioner of Health.

I could appoint another medical expert like Pharmacist/BioChemist/MicroBiologist or even a Biologist or Food Scientist or Nutritionist as Minister/Commissioner.

I would tackle health from the proactive standpoint of healthy eating and living.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by FreeStuffsNG: 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2023
Throwback:
It is not weird by the American standards we love to copy and want to relocate too.

Any profession can become any kind of Minister or Commissioner.

Only the Ministry of Justice is exceptional because same Minister/Commissioner serves as the Attorney General who sometimes has to appear in court on behalf of the government.

If I was President/Governor, I would never appoint a Medical Doctor as Minister/Commissioner of Health.

I could appoint another medical expert or even a Food Scientist or Nutritionist as Minister/Commissioner.

I would tackle health from the proactive standpoint of healthy eating and living.

You are absolutely right sir. Defence too. US usually go for people with defence/Intel background

36 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by wolesmile(m): 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2023
The position of the minister is purely administrative. The ministry of health doesn't have to be headed by a medical practitioner.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by helinues: 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2023
tatatar:

So he could appoint a lawyer as health commissioner but he claimed he couldn't find qualified Muslims abi?

Is there a religion war in Osun state?

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by 2mch(m): 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2023
wolesmile:
The position of the minister is purely administrative. The ministry of health doesn't have to be headed by a medical practitioner.
Correct.

7 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by iammo23: 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2023
cool

Very unserious clownish Governor

How will a lawyer prepare a year budget for health, or manage primary and secondary health care center including Teaching hospital

Congratulations to the Permanent secretary and Directors, board member of ministry of health Osun state.... This is their golden opportunity to loot

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by tatatar: 2:42pm On Jul 20, 2023
helinues:

Is there a religion war in Osun state?
Does making your appointments 70% Christians and then boldly coming out to claim Muslims are not qualified counts as one?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by clockwisereport: 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2023
Buhari appointed a lawyer as works minister; journalist as minister of education; journalist as minister of sports; medical doctor as minister of labour; lawyer as minister of labour(state); English graduate as minister of Petroleum; English graduate as minister of Transport;

7 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by Throwback: 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Well done Gov Adeleke. It's not compulsory to have a healthcare professional heading the ministry. For the health sector in particular, it's a case of a house divided against itself , that's what the Health sector deserves.

Till date, the best period for the health sector was when Pa Obasanjo appointed Prof. Lambo, an Economist, to head the Federal Ministry of Health. He used his independent mind and knowledge to settle most of the issues.

HE Adeleke may be lucky with this idea too. In the health sector, there's so much professional rivalry and I doubt it will end even if you appoint a non-healthcare professional for as long as the professionals don't settle the legions of professional differences.

You are right about Prof Eyitayo Lambo, who was Health Minister during Obasanjo's 2nd term.

He is an Economist whose body of work centered on health economics and health management systems.

This is similar to the criteria used by most American governments to appoint health ministers. Even when they go for career politicians for the role, they settle for those whose political advocacy had centered on healthcare initiatives.

He earned B.Sc. and M.A. degrees in economics and a Ph.D. degree in operational research applied to health systems. Professor Lambo taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the Universities of Ibadan, Ilorin and Bendel State, 1974 to 1992.[3]

He was elected a Fellow for Operational Research (England), one of the first Africans so honored by that international professional organization in 1986. He was a consultant lecturer to the Administrative Staff College of Nigeria, the Nigerian Industrial Development Bank and the African Development Bank.

He was also external examiner to several Universities, including the City University of London.[4]

Lambo was the Regional Adviser for health sector reforms, health care financing and health in socioeconomic development in the World Health Organization's regional office for Africa from 1990 to 1999.[citation needed]

He was the first economist to be employed by the WHO’s Regional Office for Africa.[5] He introduced health economics into the work of the WHO in Africa and built/strengthened capacity in health economics in the WHO Regional Office for Africa as well as in WHO country offices in Africa before taking an early and voluntary retirement from the United Nations System in 1999. At the Regional Committee of the Ministers of Health of the African Region held in Windhoek, Namibia in 1999, he received the award of the “most hardworking staff’’ in the WHO Regional Office for Africa.[citation needed]

He was Director of the Change Agent (for Health Sector Reform) Program in Nigeria (a sister program to PATHS I) funded by the Department for International Development (DFID), UK with the Federal Government of Nigeria from October 2001 to July 2003.[citation needed]

Professor Lambo has published over sixty papers, articles and books in the areas of quantitative economics, modeling, operations research applied to health, strategic management, and health economics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyitayo_Lambo

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by tatatar: 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
So because America does it that makes it the standard everywhere?

7 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by seborrhic: 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Well done Gov Adeleke. It's not compulsory to have a healthcare professional heading the ministry. For the health sector in particular, it's a case of a house divided against itself , that's what the Health sector deserves.

Till date, the best period for the health sector was when Pa Obasanjo appointed Prof. [b]Lambo, an Economist, [/b]to head the Federal Ministry of Health.
Nothing one will not read on nland.
Prof.Adeoye Lambo,an economist?
This Tinubu goverment is it's short span has really dealt with some people's brains that they now reason upside down.
Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by helinues: 2:46pm On Jul 20, 2023
tatatar:

Does making your appointments 70% Christians and then boldly coming out to claim Muslims are not qualified counts as one?

See, Osun people should learn from other SW states how thet have been cohabiting irrespective of religion.

It's been long such have been happening in the state, make una put una house together.. Vuvuzela not needed here

3 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by Throwback: 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2023
seborrhic:

This Tinubu goverment is it's short span has really dealt with some people's brains that they now reason upside down.

Adeoye Lambo is the popular Professor of Psychiatry.

Eyitayo Lambo who was Health Minister under Obasanjo, is an Economist who majors on healthcare systems.

29 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by FreeStuffsNG: 2:49pm On Jul 20, 2023
seborrhic:

Smh. If you devote your time and the bad energy you use to insult people to read, you will be a better individual.
Read the education you missed below so next time you will not be ignorant and insultive at the same time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyitayo_Lambo

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by donbachi(m): 3:26pm On Jul 20, 2023
He studied medical-law

1 Like

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by b3llo(m): 4:03pm On Jul 20, 2023
There is nothing wrong with the appointment. Minister and Commissioner seat are occupied by politicians and bureaucrats.

2 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by seborrhic: 4:30pm On Jul 20, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Smh. If you devote your time and the bad energy you use to insult people to read, you will be a better individual.
Read the education you missed below so next time you will not be ignorant and insultive at the same time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyitayo_Lambo
Ok.
Thought it's the popular Adeoye Lambo,then renowned psychiatrist you were referring to.

1 Like

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by Minime10(f): 4:47pm On Jul 20, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Adeleke appoints lawyer as health commissioner

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke on Wednesday swore in a lawyer, Sola Akintola as the Commissioner for Health among the 25 newly appointed commissioners.

Speaker of the House of Assembly, Adewale Egbedun announced the confirmation of the appointments after the screening of the 25 commissioner-nominees.

In his remarks during the inauguration at his office in Osogbo, Governor Adeleke stressed he would not condone ‘a solo show’ by any of the appointees.

He said: “I seek a very responsive government that listens and satisfies the wishes of the people. So, your goal must be real service to the people. I value honesty and integrity in public service. You must be above board. Corrupt conducts will be heavily sanctioned.

“I love thinking out of the box in governance. As political heads of your ministries, be very innovative. Generate and implement new ideas.

“In times of national economic emergency, I love achieving much with little resources. Be prudent and adopt measures that reduce cost of projects and services.

“As we all know, I am a team player. There won’t be any room for solo actors in our State Executive Council (Exco). You must work as a team with a common goal to make a difference in the lives of our people. Above all, my leadership is about due process and rule of law. You must not cut corners. I will not compromise transparency and accountability.”

One of Aregbesola’s allies, who was the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affair, was assigned Information and Public Enlightenment portfolio, while Biyi Odunlade, who is a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), was assigned Political Affairs and Inter-Government Affiliation portfolio.

Reading the names and portfolios of the commissioners, Governor Adeleke said: “Dr. B. T. Salam (Regional Integration and Special Duties), Morufu Dele Ayanfe (Science, Information and Communication Technology), Mr. Moshood Olagunju (Youth Affairs), Mrs. Adenike Folasade Adeleke (Federal Affairs), Dosu Babatunde (Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs), Alfred Sesan Oyedele, (Transport), Rev. Bunmi Jenyo, (Commerce and Industry), George Alabi (Land and Physical Planning) and Mr. Sola Ogungbile (Finance).”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/adeleke-appoints-lawyer-as-health-commissioner/#google_vignette
Mynd44 nlfpmod

And so U wan make we fry kpekus

1 Like

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by joyandfaith: 4:50pm On Jul 20, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

HE Adeleke may be lucky with this idea too. In the health sector, there's so much professional rivalry and I doubt it will end even if you appoint a non-healthcare professional for as long as the professionals don't settle the legions of professional differences.

What did he achieve as health minister? Beko kuti was still the best health minister. Universal health coverage is what you would use to measure performance in heath sector..

2 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by joyandfaith: 4:56pm On Jul 20, 2023
Obaaderemi2:

Surgeon-general of us public health services is by default a medical doctor. In canada and uk, there is office of chief medical officer of the federation. Nigeria needs such office so that minister of health can be opened to any politician regardless of his or her professional background.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by Throwback: 5:13pm On Jul 20, 2023
joyandfaith:

What did he achieve as health minister? Beko kuti was still the best health minister. Universal health coverage is what you would use to measure performance in heath sector..

Not Dr Beko Ransome-Kuti, but his older brother, Prof Dr Olikoye Ransome-Kuti who served under the Babangida regime during the HIV-AIDS pandemic era (late 1980s).

22 Likes

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by joyandfaith: 5:33pm On Jul 20, 2023
Throwback:

Not Dr Beko Ransome-Kuti, but his older brother, Prof Dr Olikoye Ransome-Kuti who served under the Babangida regime during the HIV-AIDS pandemic era (late 1980s).

Oh ! You are right. Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by FreeStuffsNG: 5:38pm On Jul 20, 2023
joyandfaith:

smh. It's obvious you are not a healthcare professional so no point.

The crisis that the late Elderstatesman Prof Olikoye singlehandedly created in the Nigerian health sector is responsible for the main crisis in the sector today.

Unfortunately, he is no longer alive and since then, it's the Nigerian patient who has since been bearing the brunt of it, not even his family. Perhaps if he had listened then, the problem would not have sank the health sector.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeleke Appoints Lawyer As Health Commissioner by Raskimonojendor: 5:38pm On Jul 20, 2023
donbachi:
He studied medical-law
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Bars Victor Giadom From APC / We’ll Catch Shekau Before Elections — Jonathan / Herdsmen Attack: Miyetti Allah Asks Fayose To Show Statesmanship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.