Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) (1098 Views)

Government Agrees To Arrest Putin If He Attends BRICS Summit In South Africa / I Asked Putin: Will You Kill Zelensky? He Said No & Gave Me His Word - Israel PM / Putin Not Ready To Recognise Biden As US President Yet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:39pm On Jul 20, 2023
President Cyril Ramaphosa asked Russian President Vladimir Putin not to attend the BRICS summit but could not announce Putin's non-attendance before receiving support from the Chinese and Indian heads of state.

Ramaphosa, in a supplementary affidavit filed in a Pretoria court, said it was "moot" for the South African opposition party - Democratic Alliance - to continue its application to compel the government to state whether it would have executed the International Criminal Court's (ICC) arrest warrant on Putin.

This followed the Russian president saying he would not attend the Johannesburg summit next month.

Ramaphosa's supplementary statement was filed on Tuesday before Wednesday's announcement Putin would not attend by "mutual agreement".

In his affidavit, Ramaphosa said he first asked Putin not to attend Africa's Ukraine-Russia peace summit on 19 June, and the Russian leader said he would "apply his mind" to the request.

Three days later, Ramaphosa added he met with Brazil President Lula da Silva at the Global Financing Pact summit in Paris, France, and lobbied South Africa's position that Putin does not attend the BRICS summit, expected to run from 22 to 24 August.

He stated:

At this meeting [with Da Silva], the president of Brazil agreed that the preferred option, being that President Putin would not attend the [BRICS] summit in person, had his support. Ramaphosa said the BRICS formation worked on "a consensus" and buy-in had to be sought and received from all five member countries before a decision was taken.

On Thursday, Department of International Relations and Cooperation spokesperson Clayson Monyela said the government knew for a month Putin would not physically attend the summit.

Monyela added the delay was due to the ironing out of diplomatic issues.

Ramaphosa had consulted BRICS member state leaders of China, Russia, and India.

The president told the court by Tuesday, the department had not managed to arrange a meeting with China President Xi Jinping and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Ramaphosa asked the court to keep his supplementary affidavit confidential so as not to jeopardise the negotiations and consensus-seeking efforts.

The South African Sherpa to BRICS, speaking at the media engagement, Professor Anil Sooklal, said Ramaphosa had engaged with BRICS leaders regarding Putin's visit.

The BRICS ambassador labelled the Russian president's decision not to come as a substantial move which allowed the summit not to face threats of withdrawal like the G20 summit in Indonesia in 2022.

Other world leaders had protested the participation of Putin attending the summit, which prompted him to participate virtually.

Sooklal said the Russian leader's decision not to attend showed "maturity" among leaders to ensure the summit went ahead without threats of a walkout as a mutual agreement by participating leaders.

"The agreement, the president has done exceptionally well. This decision was not taken between President Ramaphosa and President Putin.

"Over the past several months, our president has engaged with all BRICS leaders several times. BRICS is a consensus basis; President Putin's absence at the summit impacts all the other leaders.

"This shows maturity and the strength of the alliance that we could come to a decision that, yes, President Putin understands the dilemma that South Africa faces, and he did not want to jeopardise the summit and create problems for South Africa," Sooklal said.

1 Share

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:40pm On Jul 20, 2023

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by Acekidc4(m): 9:41pm On Jul 20, 2023
Even if Putin decide to come, nothing their Papa wan do am. Na Putin we dey talk about oooo not Peter oooo!!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by Jostoman: 9:45pm On Jul 20, 2023
Putin leave Ukrainian people alone
Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by Jostoman: 9:46pm On Jul 20, 2023
Acekidc4:
Even if Putin decide to come, nothing their Papa wan do am. Na Putin we dey talk about oooo not Peter oooo!!
attention seeker grin

3 Likes

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by 43Ronin: 9:48pm On Jul 20, 2023
Acekidc4:
they will arrest putin and nothing will happen because many of his advisers are eyeing his position in Russia.

6 Likes

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by Urheadmaster(m): 9:51pm On Jul 20, 2023
Like for Putin

Share for BRICS tongue
43Ronin:

they will arrest putin and nothing will happen because many of his advisers are eyeing his position in Russia.

5 Likes

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by Zadicuszuranda: 9:51pm On Jul 20, 2023
Did i hear u say nothing will happen?[color=#990000][/color]
43Ronin:

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by Acekidc4(m): 9:52pm On Jul 20, 2023
Jostoman:
attention seeker grin

๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„
Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by 43Ronin: 10:38pm On Jul 20, 2023
Zadicuszuranda:
Did i hear u say nothing will happen?[color=#990000][/color]
bro I am a putin fan. But they are eyeing his position in Russia. they will even be d ones to set him up....
Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by BentizilL: 11:14pm On Jul 20, 2023
43Ronin:

bro I am a putin fan. But they are eyeing his position in Russia. they will even be d ones to set him up....
Nobody's setting Putin up, stop deceiving yourself...

You and I know nobody can arrest Putin in South Africa... Even Biden know this...
It'll just complicate problem for South Africa, that's main reason Ramaphosa was begging him to send Lavrov...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 11:22pm On Jul 20, 2023
BentizilL:

You and I know nobody can arrest Putin in South Africa... Even Biden know this...
It'll just complicate problem for South Africa, that's main reason Ramaphosa was begging him to send Lavrov...

Interesting choice of words... begging ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿง๐Ÿง๐Ÿง Really? You've got this on good authority? Proof please.
Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by kokorokoman: 11:39pm On Jul 20, 2023
BentizilL:

if e sure put in say nobody can arrest him he shouldn't chicken out, he should just attend the meeting if no be handcuffs dem go take pick am comot.
Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by kokorokoman: 11:43pm On Jul 20, 2023
Acekidc4:
the person in question "putin" fear for his life and decided not to attend the meeting but here you are in Nigeria saying nothing will happen grin cheesy
Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by STRI1: 12:49am On Jul 21, 2023
kokorokoman:
if e sure put in say nobody can arrest him he shouldn't chicken out, he should just attend the meeting if no be handcuffs dem go take pick am comot.

What do you know about Russia and it's position in this world. Do you know whom Putin is? Where did they see these people sef?
Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by 9japride(m): 2:38am On Jul 21, 2023
BentizilL:

[color=#006600][/color]

Don't be too sure. Humans are unpredictable and anything can happen. Putin is not God, even he's close allied can betray him.
Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by kokorokoman: 7:15am On Jul 21, 2023
STRI1:

What do you know about Russia and it's position in this world. Do you know whom Putin is? Where did they see these people sef?
Mr knower, tell me what I don't know about Russia, what is it about Russia?
Apart from the large size of the country which they use almost all their resources to stock weapons what else is it about Russia?
What is it about a country that is not among the top five biggest economy, what is it to know about a country that's not even near the top ten highest minimum wage payers in the world.
Keep hyping nonsense.
I repeat, if e sure putin say he is a man, let him not chicken out and attend the meeting, na handcuffs dem go take throw am enter black Maria like they did to one terrorist in naija.
Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by Acekidc4(m): 8:48am On Jul 21, 2023
kokorokoman:
the person in question "putin" fear for his life and decided not to attend the meeting but here you are in Nigeria saying nothing will happen grin cheesy

Absolutely Nothing will happen!!

1 Like

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by kokorokoman: 9:33am On Jul 21, 2023
Acekidc4:

Absolutely Nothing will happen!!
so you mean you know better than the man that has decided to japa for his life.
Keep deceiving yourself.

1 Like

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by victory36(m): 11:07am On Jul 21, 2023
43Ronin:

Anyone who replaces Putin will be far more dangerous and iron handed than him. Medvedev will probably have ordered a full blown invasion of Ukraine by now or might have resorted to nuclear warfare. The main opposition party in Russia are hardcore communists which to Americans is even worse than having Putin in power. Prigozhin of Wagner pmc will carry-on the war as he has a lot to gain from it, same goes for shoigu and other Russian generals. Only a few Russian oligarchs will put an end to the war and trust me, they will not even smell the position of prime minister not to talk of president.
In conclusion, arrest threats from the west are empty shells as Putin remains the best option for westerners to end this war through dialogue or better still invasion of Russia (world war 3).

1 Like

Re: BRICS SUMMIT: Ramaphosa Asked Putin Not To Attend - China, India Agreed (PICS) by Prigozhin: 11:51am On Jul 21, 2023
victory36:
Anyone who replaces Putin will be far more dangerous and iron handed than him. Medvedev will probably have ordered a full blown invasion of Ukraine by now or might have resorted to nuclear warfare. The main opposition party in Russia are hardcore communists which to Americans is even worse than having Putin in power. Prigozhin of Wagner pmc will carry-on the war as he has a lot to gain from it , same goes for shoigu and other Russian generals. Only a few Russian oligarchs will put an end to the war and trust me, they will not even smell the position of prime minister not to talk of president.
In conclusion, arrest threats from the west are empty shells as Putin remains the best option for westerners to end this war through dialogue or better still invasion of Russia (world war 3).

I won't carry on I am tired already.

(1) (Reply)

Corrupt Politicians Of Other African Nations: Surprise, Surprise! / Difference Between North And South Korea / Warships In Persian Gulf As Israel Prepares For Iranian Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.