Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,835,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) (32460 Views)

Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? / 4000 Empty Containers Leaving Nigeria (Picture) / How Much Is Flight From Abuja To Enugu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by faceland: 7:18pm On Jul 21, 2023
XerXers:
Higher taxation in Nigeria

It's just "demand and supply"

If they make it $5000 people in Nigeria would still pay but if they do that in Benin, they might not sell a single ticket.
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by ednut1(m): 7:21pm On Jul 21, 2023
ebufa:

stop giving stupid excuses........Lagos to London is 6-7 hours.......same as New york -London, there are dozens of flights if not over a hundred between NY and LON........how much is economy ticket compare it to economy ticket between Los and LON.........it is far cheaper....! The high cost of tickets in Nigeria na scam.......perpetrated by those in government and the foreign operators..........So far Fulani interests is not at stake.....the sahelians will always sell Nigerians short....as usual the other critical actors, the yorubas will play dead so far they collect their share........no be yorubas dominate the travel agency business! no let me talk o! Naija na scam!
stop smoking igbo. Go and learn about economics and trade agreements

1 Like

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Iamzik: 7:23pm On Jul 21, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
Due to many reasons
1. Nigerians have money and demand and price and supply. If they are losing money due to High price points, they would have lowered it.

2. Summer and students are starting school in the Fall. We have lots of Nigerians attending UK schools ..high school, University and Post Grad...they come home during the summer and need to return back. The airlines know this too.

3. They can't repatriate their dollars due to limited supply in Nigeria and you are buying in Naira, so they increase the amount so the Naira won't make them have a loss when dollars become available. For example...you charge N500 and can't remove it during Emefiele...now it's less than $1 when it was over $1 at that time.

4. Nigeria is a country of 200 million plus people..stop comparing us to ants like Benin or Cotonou. I am sure Lagos alone can dwarf both countries combined Lol

This has nothing to do with demand.

Nigeria charges foreign airlines outrageous amount to park and refuel. You think the airlines will not pass the cost to passengers??

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Advision: 7:25pm On Jul 21, 2023
ednut1:
have you bought international flight tickets before Who dey talk of local flights here ImNigeria to Canada currently is very high because its summer and people are travelling alot at this time. When its winter the fares become cheap because there is less demand for it. When my siblings went to uk in January it was very expensive because many people were also heading to the Uk to resume school. Dont come here to say what you know nothing about

Your assumption will only hold in a case of monopoly or monopolistic competition. The difference is too high to be seasonal variation.

I suspect the flights are one-way almost empty towards Nigeria and so charge higher for the return trip

1 Like

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by MasterTeeUSA: 7:37pm On Jul 21, 2023
It's not the refueling...it's just as expensive from UK to Nigeria and US to Nigeria...then again, how many people paid attention in Economics class....Scarce resources...if the outrageous fuel is impacting demand, they won't fly.

Iamzik:

This has nothing to do with demand.

Nigeria charges foreign airlines outrageous amount to park and refuel. You think the airlines will not pass the cost to passengers??
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Dijita: 8:00pm On Jul 21, 2023
LikeAking:

Forget argument..

Compare $450 to $2550, isn't the diff too much..
Is that normal to you?

Is that diff cos of demand?

It's too much...

We are just been exploited.

I understand what you mean, but the increase is beyond demand..

If it's demand then the price most return to normal when the demand is low..

But I doubt it will ever return to previous prices.

Demand is mostly the reason. it is the same in US. I have seen situation in US where you are going from destination A to destination C which is far than destination B. in fact you will have a stopover in destination B before getting to C. However the ticket price to destination C is far cheaper than destination B. Some people going to B will buy the cheap ticket to C and just not complete the second leg of the flight. Airline are now banning people for life if they caught you doing it.
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by pekisdgee(m): 8:26pm On Jul 21, 2023
Tax!!! My believe... 🇳🇬 we are rich but our leaders is the problem... it is well with nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Bananapill: 8:53pm On Jul 21, 2023
qwertyuioplm:
What's the cause of this why is Nigeria own higher than others,were we not paying subsidy for Benin?

In the 80's when we were producing, did we pay flight ticket to UK?
If our government and leaders do not sit up, things will get worse. Either we take some part of the Libya model and become allies with Russia and China, we will never overcome our shortcomings.
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by dododawa1: 8:59pm On Jul 21, 2023
*Let the traffic breath do not suffocate it*.

*At least the traffic is now breathing without suffocation.*

*Next is for car owners to let we legxus to breathe, by not snatching away our gf with car*🤣🤣
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by aklid(m): 9:08pm On Jul 21, 2023
Was reading on BBC last 2 weeks that flying from the German capital, Berlin, to Turkey's biggest city, Istanbul, will probably set you back around $150 (£120) for a direct flight taking less than three hours.
But flying a similar distance, say between Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Nigeria's biggest city, Lagos, you will be paying anything between $500 and $850, with at least one change, taking up to 20 hours.… very shameful and weird how the same distance is too costly and unnecessary branching at that too

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by ThothHermes: 9:44pm On Jul 21, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Like I mentioned in the other thread. Anyone who wishes to travel to either USA or Canada should just go to cotonou and fly if you want to save and enyoy your money. You'd be glad you did. I was happy a friend gave me the hint. No stress, no hassles. Buy your ticket and fly. You may book your return to Nigeria shaa but it would still be high. I don't know why naija own com dey like dis. Ghana is far but flights from there to any destination too is far lower than what's obtainable here as learnt.

I hope our people wouldn't throng Benin Republic soon and cause flights to shoot up I saw a slot of them there, traveling too.

E go cast very soon. Benin Republic go ban una.
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Raphealb2k: 10:15pm On Jul 21, 2023
Nigeria is a very useless country we need to divide grin grin
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by MeineMutter: 10:46pm On Jul 21, 2023
Originalsly:

Not sure. ... but isn't the distance between Lagos and New York the same in December and February? If yes... then why the big difference in ticket price in December and February?

Ticket price has a lot to do with supply and demand.

The algorithm being used in picking price for Nigeria’s IP address doesn’t respect law of demand and supply.

It’s deliberate. They know Nigeria has money and we love to spend and brag about it. That’s why the price is always higher than other African countries.

The best is to have our own indigenous national carrier that can stand the test of time.

Instead of wasting billions of Naira on joint venture with Ethiopian Airline, our federal government should have revived Aero Contractors and make it our national carrier and trade its stocks publicly. The airline has over 60 years of experience operating in Nigeria.

It has produced lots and lots of seasoned airline staff.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by sharone21(f): 3:12am On Jul 22, 2023
When will Nigeria get an indigenous airline eg converting Air Peace to Nigeria Air Peace? Maybe this will force down some prices..... Also, airport taxes and jet fuel prices should be reviewed if possible.

The way Innoson is being patronized at the road transport level is how Air Peace should be encouraged. The Igbos are good in transportation business and Air Peace has been there fulfilling national duty calls..... Ibom Air can be supported to be a regional flight or Airline within Africa including flying to nearby countries like Cameroon, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by October1960: 3:45am On Jul 22, 2023
Taxes from FAAN alone is one of the highest in the world per ticket. More than double USA airport fees.

Which they promptly steal and not use to maintain the MMA airport without AC, running water or clean halls.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by October1960: 3:55am On Jul 22, 2023
See tax charged by MMA airport per plane ticket much more than USA airport. Yet nothing to show at the dirty and dilapidated MMA airport. Just stealing and mismanagement.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by IRIENBOY(m): 7:12am On Jul 22, 2023
It's well
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by sharone21(f): 7:23am On Jul 22, 2023
ThothHermes:
[/b]

Since we closed border such that rice etc from Cotonou cannot be imported into Nigeria and this caused Cotonou massive losses, this is their new gold ..... My fear rather is for the Nigerian government in collaboration with airlines in Nigeria not to block this alternative to Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Goldbw122(m): 7:59am On Jul 22, 2023
October1960:
See tax charged by MMA airport per plane ticket much more than USA airport. Yet nothing to show at the dirty and dilapidated MMA airport. Just stealing and mismanagement.

The corruption in Nigeria is very epic

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by NaijaCover(m): 8:11am On Jul 22, 2023
Hmmmmm
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by blueAgent(m): 9:23am On Jul 22, 2023
LikeAking:
Na to go tru Cotuno na..

We can see the west intentionally hate us.

Na only the Chinese dey fair to us, although their short man character is a turn off.

Is Cotonou not An African country?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by blueAgent(m): 9:27am On Jul 22, 2023
ceejayluv:

That stance is outdated. If half of Nigerians emigrate, we'll still have over 80 million people to develop the country. Ireland And Denmark combined have A population of less than 15 million.

Develop which country?
Is to have 200million foolish clueless ppl or to have 2million reasonable ppl, which one?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Mountbatten: 9:29am On Jul 22, 2023
Demand and supply simple.
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Xammie001(m): 10:04am On Jul 22, 2023
THANKS FOR THIS UPDATE, NA TO GO COTONU TO TRAVEL ABROAD REMAIN
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Eriokanmi: 10:18am On Jul 22, 2023
ThothHermes:
[/b]
How? Go and read through West African Charter which guarantees free entry and free exit. Nigerians have been traveling through cotonou to any part of the world no be today. Even after covid-19, I travelled . I always see Nigerians there each time. If you want to save cost traveling to Canada or France, cotonou it is. My worry is the Nigeria immigration at the border post who might use the opportunity of cheap flight information makijg the rounds to extort money from Nigerians. E dey their blood.

If you don't break their rules, no issues

1 Like

Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by nljk: 10:56am On Jul 22, 2023
In this industry, demand and supply, as well as geographical distance, play significant roles. Typically, when demand increases, prices may rise, but they should stabilize back to normal levels during low demand periods. However, in this case, the dynamics seem different. For instance, transportation costs from Lagos to Onitsha might exceed those from Katsina to Port Harcourt, creating an unusual pricing situation. https://solarpanelpriceinpakistan.pk/longi-solar-panel-price-in-pakistan/
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Skty: 7:18am On Jul 23, 2023
ednut1:
have you bought international flight tickets before Who dey talk of local flights here ImNigeria to Canada currently is very high because its summer and people are travelling alot at this time. When its winter the fares become cheap because there is less demand for it. When my siblings went to uk in January it was very expensive because many people were also heading to the Uk to resume school. Dont come here to say what you know nothing about

It's #2.6 million naira to UK. What are u talking about?
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by ebufa: 4:00am On Jul 24, 2023
ednut1:
stop smoking igbo. Go and learn about economics and trade agreements

Your online prattling is not worthy of further replies !! .........come back when you graduate from LASU ! Olodo
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by cucumbar: 11:02am On Jul 24, 2023
Immunity1555:

Simple economics
The higher the demand
The higher the price
lies … do we travel more than the whites? How come flights are cheap for them even when demand is high?
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by cucumbar: 11:18am On Jul 24, 2023
Dijita:

Demand is mostly the reason. it is the same in US. I have seen situation in US where you are going from destination A to destination C which is far than destination B. in fact you will have a stopover in destination B before getting to C. However the ticket price to destination C is far cheaper than destination B. Some people going to B will buy the cheap ticket to C and just not complete the second leg of the flight. Airline are now banning people for life if they caught you doing it.
😁How can they ban people for deciding to stop at point B? Don’t I have the right to stop anywhere in want? Wetin be their business?
Re: Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) by Immunity1555: 10:33pm On Jul 24, 2023
cucumbar:
lies … do we travel more than the whites? How come flights are cheap for them even when demand is high?

Whites travel to your country abi
You are not serious.

Do you know how many people want to leave this country on a daily basis?
Check from your state to another state is how much?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Live Pictures From Lagos-Ibadan Railway Construction Site / Kenyan Lady: “Every Nigerian Is Frustrated And Likes To Shout” / Nigerian Man Who Sings & Begs On The Streets Of Italy For A Living (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.