Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,014 members, 7,814,459 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike (586 Views)

Tuition Fee Hike: OSPOLY Reveals Next Move As Students Refuse To Pay / Abuja Private School Owners Reject Wike’s Fee Hike / UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by BleedingPen: 6:36pm On Jul 21, 2023
Management of the University of Benin (UNIBEN) has suspended a Student Activist, Comrade Obinna Ezechukwu and set up a Panel of Inquiry to probe into the activities of the former student, throughout his stay in the University.

Ezechukwu, a fresh graduate of Political Science, Faculty of Social Sciences, is being investigated by the UNIBEN management over an article he authored recently, after the University increased her school fees for new students by over a 100 per cent.

“UNIBEN got an annual allocation of N19.53b for 2023. Can the Management be bold enough to open their book and tell the public what these funds were used for so we can take away the doubts that these funds are not enough? Transparency helps a lot,” one of the now-deleted post on Twitter read.

It was gathered that Ezechukwu’s graduation from the University of Benin was put on hold by the UNIBEN management over the article which the University’s top officials say is “critical” of the Salami-led administration.

The Management had allegedly expunged Obinna’s name from the University’s Graduation List over the article, which forced him to miss the compulsory one-year National Youth Service after the Institution failed to mobilise him.

Meanwhile, it was gathered that Ezechukwu who is yet to be officially briefed of his alleged offence, has been formally invited to appear before the Panel on Monday, July 24 at the University’s Senate Chambers by 10:00AM.

A copy of the invitation letter addressed to Obinna and obtained by METROWATCHXTRA.COM, dated 20th July, 2023 was signed by Barr (Mrs) Juliet I. Osawemwenze, Secretary of the Panel, under the Office of the Registrar.

“You are invited to appear before the Panel of Inquiry set up by the Vie (sic) Chancellor in relation to the case you have with the School Authority,” the letter read in part, warning that, “failure to appear may attract indefinite suspension.”

Membership of the Panel has been shrouded in secrecy, even as Management has kept mum on the matter. It is not immediately clear if any Students’ Representative would be sitting on the Panel.

Efforts to obtain comment from the Institution’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mrs Benedicta Adeola Ehanire and the Dean of Students’ Affairs (DSA), Prof. Clement Ighodaro proved abortive.

However, students of the Institution have kicked against the move by Management to sanction one of their colleagues over what they described as attempt to suppress and gag freedom of speech and information.

https://metrowatchxtra.com/2023/07/21/uniben-suspends-probes-student-after-article-against-school-fee-hike-metrowatch/

Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by BleedingPen: 6:36pm On Jul 21, 2023
Thoughts?
Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by immortalcrown(m): 6:44pm On Jul 21, 2023
Before I call this dictatorship, I have some questions.

Does the article give false information about the school? If yes, the school is right. But if the article contains only truth about the school, the school is run by shameless idiots.
Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by slawomir: 6:46pm On Jul 21, 2023
Damnnn niggar

This nation need a revolution

What sort of dictatorship is this?

So some one can't criticize and question those in authority anymore?

2 Likes

Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by tollyboy5(m): 6:56pm On Jul 21, 2023
immortalcrown:

Does the article give false information about the school? If yes, the school is right. But if the article contains only truth about the school, the school is run by shameless idiots.
even if it is false, that kind of punishment is too extreme.
Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by Brendaniel: 6:57pm On Jul 21, 2023
A simple question that required an answer turned to fight.....

2 Likes

Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by Ikaeniyan0: 7:21pm On Jul 21, 2023
What's wrong with the guy question? Nineteen billion naira is a lot of money

2 Likes

Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by BleedingPen: 7:26pm On Jul 21, 2023
immortalcrown:

Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by Jnkay: 7:30pm On Jul 21, 2023
APC of Buhari and Tinubu has thought the various sectors in Nigeria leadership by dictatorship.

Tinubu is a game changer, Tinubu is a strategist but when is time for him to show Nigerians his skills ''Oti gba penalty wo throwing"
Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by Dsimmer: 7:30pm On Jul 21, 2023
It's the schools doing whatever they like after all. They can as well use the money to pay their lecturers and leave federal government out of it. Bunch of miscreants! I stopped taking them seriously when they colluded to scuttle election until they were dragged to court.
Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by Urheadmaster(m): 7:45pm On Jul 21, 2023
There's freedom of speech, but freedom after speech cannot be guaranteed tongue
Brendaniel:
A simple question that required an answer turned to fight.....
Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by danvon(m): 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2023
I was expecting some highly controversial post

But this wasn't even that bad, something they could have easily ignored, they have given this guy a political career
Re: UNIBEN Suspends, Probes Fresh Graduate Over Tweet Against School Fee Hike by Qadaffi2idiamin: 8:12pm On Jul 21, 2023
The thief in aso rock has bolden the attitude of many other thieves elsewhere.

Them go soon collect.

(1) (Reply)

A Must Read Because People Are Dying. / Whoever Knows Gets A Free Gift! / University Charges Me International Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.