Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 (9611 Views)

Saraki And Olisa Metu's Case Which Is Heavier? / Pictures Of Todays Election Across Nigeria. / Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 08, 2011
like play like play, the rain started in the earlier hours of of the day around 1/2am and it didn't stop till around to 7am.

why i said to days floodind is more than that of July 10 2011 is because the rain which started from Friday caused serious flooding in the metropolis and very heavy traffic. Fridays rain stopped around 9pm and the flood was yet to drain before the rain of today compounded the problem. I cant even take any pictures cos I'm as said as if i lost someone.

The painful thing is my car which I'm scared for. the last one i knew how much i spent to bring it back to life. seeing same being overtaken by flood up to the engine part is really devastating.

Nigerian Government should go and bury themselves in shame. This is pathetic
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by johnie: 10:07am On Oct 08, 2011
Which govt?

Federal, state or LG?

Na dem cause the rain?

Dem no warn say rain go plenty?

Sorry about your car though.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 08, 2011
johnie:

Which govt?

Federal, state or LG?
all of them join together. The fact that im speaking about Lagos doesnt mean those of other states too are isolated from being questioned. I sometimes see roads from other states on Tv and could only wonder if we have government at all in Nigeria that really care about the masses

Na dem cause the rain?

Dem no warn say rain go plenty?
of course they did but its the usual mouthing. same way the FG warns us about boko haram yet they have no clue on how to tackle the menace. if for 2 months the Lagos state government didnt just sit on the warning and did act, may be it couldnt have been worse as this is.

Sorry about your car though.
thks. i've been confined to sitting at home hoping for a miracle to happen
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by werepeLeri: 10:33am On Oct 08, 2011
Some people just talk because they have a mouth not because they want to make any sense,  Seriously.

Blame GEJ - GEJ is now the cause of rain in Lagos and he should account for this.

Do you think those people in the UK who often gets hit by flood have time to speak wantonly about their government when that happens?

Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 08, 2011
werepeLeri:

Some people just talk because they have a mouth not because they want to make any sense,  Seriously.

Blame GEJ - GEJ is now the cause of rain in Lagos and he should account for this.

Do you think those people in the UK who often gets hit by flood have time to speak wantonly about their government when that happens?
of u actually fall into the category of the people u described. yours might even be worse for posting without first arming urself with a deal of knowledge on whats being discussed. Whos blaming Jonathan or any other Government for natural occurrence? There are many artificial occurrence that Goodluck is clueless about tackling talkless of a natural one. What u failed to realise is that the flood at this side of the world is caused mainly by flooding an effect of heavy rain due to drainage problems that havent been addressed. couple of months ago when we experienced the july 10 rain, the Lagos state government made the usual noise gra gra to do heaven and earth. we are in October, yet theres nothing to show for it. ask anyone living or working in the following areas what they ve experienced between yesterday and today. Ahmadu bellow way victoria Island, Adetokunbo Ademola, Adeola hopewell, VI some parts of old ikoyi and southwest Ikoyi, Dolphin estate etc. couple of days ago it was fine but let 5mins rain fall, the water remains on the street cos theres hardly any drainage for the flood to flow into. Is it the responsibilities of the residents to chanel the carnal?
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by werepeLeri: 12:05pm On Oct 08, 2011
and who dump refuse in the existing storm water drains and canals? GEJ? Fashola?
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by mrofficial(m): 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^ Commot for here, you no know anything. Nobody dey blame anyone. You and I know say Naija drainage system cannot be compared to the one you posted up there.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by werepeLeri: 12:51pm On Oct 08, 2011
mr.official:

^^ Commot for here, you no know anything. Nobody dey blame anyone. You and I know say Naija drainage system cannot be compared to the one you posted up there.

Loony?
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 08, 2011
werepeLeri:

and who dump refuse in the existing storm water drains and canals? GEJ? Fashola?
u are still talking about what u know very little about. its not refuse only that bkock drainages. Most of the drainage chanels that we have now are poorly constructed and were done some 30 years ago when there was very little population in Nigeria. the most an area gets populated, the more their needs in terms of environment becomes. listen these area i mentioned to u are the most high brow areas in can ever think of where a building can be sold for as high as N500,000,000 and no one pour refuse into the carnal as its been done in other slums within the metropolis. Get it clear no one is saying its the fault of the govt that it rains or is it their fault for pouring refuse. we blame them for not constructing new and better drainage chanel
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Mariory(m): 1:16pm On Oct 08, 2011
toba:

like play like play, the rain started in the earlier hours of of the day around 1/2am and it didn't stop till around to 7am.

why i said to days floodind is more than that of July 10 2011 is because the rain which started from Friday caused serious flooding in the metropolis and very heavy traffic. Fridays rain stopped around 9pm and the flood was yet to drain before the rain of today compounded the problem. I cant even take any pictures cos I'm as said as if i lost someone.

The painful thing is my car which I'm scared for. the last one i knew how much i spent to bring it back to life. seeing same being overtaken by flood up to the engine part is really devastating.

There are few drainage systems in industrialized nations that can cope with continuous tropical rain for 5+ hours not to talk of Africa. This isn't Government's fault or the fault of any man. This is a natural disaster.

Having said that though you do have a point. A better drainage system would minimize the effects.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by werepeLeri: 1:33pm On Oct 08, 2011
Please download and read this document so you will know what is happening.

http://resilient-cities.iclei.org/fileadmin/sites/resilient-cities/files/Resilient_Cities_2011/Presentations/C/C5_and_D5_Ogunbambi.pdf

understand the human, natural and environmental factors that causes flooding in Lagos State before you make your conclusion.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Beaf: 1:43pm On Oct 08, 2011
@Toba
My sympathy about your car and any other losses due to the floods.
This year is not a good one for Lagosians, especially those living in the low lying areas close to the sea and lagoon. The state govt aught to have paid more attention to those drainage areas considering the wealth they generate. I am quite sure Lagos state govt loses in millions too each time there's flooding; the question is why its left to go on perennially.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 08, 2011
Mariory:

There are few drainage systems in industrialized nations that can cope with continuous tropical rain for 5+ hours not to talk of Africa. This isn't Government's fault or the fault of any man. This is a natural disaster.

Having said that though you do have a point. A better drainage system would minimize the effects.

@Mariory, this isn't the first time continuous 5hours plus rain is hitting us. Our tropical climate has been with us for centuries. I'm certain if industrialized nations are faced with this same problem, they would have provided effective strategy to deal with it long time ago,
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 08, 2011
Mariory:

I disagree vehemently but for different reasons.

Before we start, I refer you to the definition of government:

"gov·ern·ment   [guhv-ern-muhnt, ‐er-muhnt] Show IPA
noun
the political direction and control exercised over the actions of the members, citizens, or inhabitants of communities, societies, and states; direction of the affairs of a state, community, etc.; political administration: Government is necessary to the existence of civilized society."

Preparing adequate water channels = job of the government.
Maintaining water channel = job of government.
Educating citizens on proper use of water channels = job of government.
Fining, arresting citizens who violate proper use of water channels = job of government.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 08, 2011
obo_man:

@Mariory, this isn't the first time continuous 5hours plus rain is hitting us. Our tropical climate has been with us for centuries. I'm certain if industrialized nations are faced with this same problem, they would have provided effective strategy to deal with it long time ago,

Thank you and most eloquently stated.

This Lagos rain is not an unprecedented occurrence. Stuff happens but it' sup to the government to mitigate the risks for it's citizens.

The person that is posting pictures of flood in Europe is ludicrous. For that European city to get flooded like that must have been a fluke and I wager that this exact situation will not happen to that city again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1VIepfMLbA
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 08, 2011
werepeLeri:

You are a common i d iot , to say the least. So because people in the UK find something bad "acceptable" then Nigeria should follow suit Mental slavery, u are a scum of the black race, ! Have you ever seen a white Nation use a Black nation as a standard Love yourself u animal!
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by werepeLeri: 6:44pm On Oct 08, 2011
engineerd:

You are a common i d iot , to say the least. So because people in the UK find something bad "acceptable" then Nigeria should follow suit Mental slavery, u are a scum of the black race, ! Have you ever seen a white Nation use a Black nation as a standard Love yourself u animal!

My oh my. Someone must have pulled your butt hole when you are not looking. Ok.

I am a common i diot

I am a scum of the black race

i am an animal.

WOW. Only?

What more can you say? I guess you are frustrated. Thats all I can say- if thats all you can say to my post, then, I am sorry to say, you are a wasted s.emen. Simple as ABC.

By the way, you sound incoherently like the mad man on my street. My wife has reserved our dog left over for you to come and eat. Okay? Sorry.

and before you open your wired mouth to talk. What I mean, not that I care if you understand, is simply that, those people over there know what climate change is and the possible effect of the floodings rather than blaming government at every behest of anything.

Now- carry that cheap computer of yours and throw it inside the pit latrine where you eat dinner from.

God punish you
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 08, 2011
werepeLeri:

My oh my. Someone must have pulled your butt hole when you are not looking. Ok.

I am a common i diot

I am a scum of the black race

i am an animal.

WOW. Only?

What more can you say? I guess you are frustrated. Thats all I can say- if thats all you can say to my post, then, I am sorry to say, you are a wasted s.emen. Simple as ABC.

By the way, you sound incoherently like the mad man on my street. My wife has reserved our dog left over for you to come and eat. Okay? Sorry.

and before you open your wired mouth to talk. What I mean, not that I care if you understand, is simply that, those people over there know what climate change is and the possible effect of the floodings rather than blaming government at every behest of anything.

Now- carry that cheap computer of your and throw it inside the pit latrine where you eat dinner.

The fact is, i just hate f00ls that reason like you. Your name suits u! I don't usually exchange words with people who have extremely low IQ, low IQ is contagious so no point in exchanging words with u.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by werepeLeri: 6:54pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^^

So shut up and go find dinner elsewhere.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Fhemmmy: 6:59pm On Oct 08, 2011
Anyone with the pix?
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by true2god: 7:19pm On Oct 08, 2011
@ poster,

this topic is not ok at all. i need a more reasonable post than this. Flooding is a global problem even in developed countries and as bad as any natural disaster you can think of. It has nothing to do with Lagos state govt just as the march tsumani of 2011 has nothing to do with the Japanese govt.

You can suggest ways of handling or even preventing excess flooding in your area.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by felifeli: 8:52pm On Oct 08, 2011
true2god:

@ poster,

this topic is not ok at all. i need a more reasonable post than this. Flooding is a global problem even in developed countries and as bad as any natural disaster you can think of. It has nothing to do with Lagos state govt just as the march tsumani of 2011 has nothing to do with the Japanese govt.

You can suggest ways of handling or even preventing excess flooding in your area.

Thank you bro. I think what people should be trying to reason out is 'how do you DRAIN a coastal land that is NATURALLY  BELOW SEA LEVEL " ?

The problem with Lagos is that nobody NEEDS TO live there ; you can live somewhere else. But if you CHOSE TO live in Lagos, you should just learn to live with its natural problem without complaining.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by blunt1990: 9:49pm On Oct 08, 2011
werepeLeri:

My friend, u shouldnt make references to unconfirmed information. Following the UK flood of 2008, there was an outburst and condemnation of Gordon Brown's Govt, that lead to the blueprint for the re-designing of the entire drainage system in the UK. The first phase of the design commenced in February 2009 and was handled by Jacob Consulting, if not that its company's confidential doc, I would have posted the prliminary Engr design for your info.
Nigeria/Lagos is supposed to have constructed an active Jetties/Shores in Lagos, not to talk of a detailed drainage system for the entire city. I will always blame the State Govt for not taking the drainage system of the state seriously and probably turning the shores to great tourist centres like we have in Brighton, Southampton, Plymouth etc 

@FeliFeli
Amsterdam is 13feet below Sea Level but never floods, not for 3seconds. You can also read the book or articles by Charles Carreon, ''Amsterdam is Below Sea Level but Never Floods'', maybe that will help
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by coogar: 10:14pm On Oct 08, 2011
toba:

it's harsh to criticize the nigerian government for a natural disaster.
people often forget lagos island as a whole is below sea level. flooding would always be a problem because lekki/ajah areas were sand-filled to help reduce the congestion on the ikoyi/victoria island.

granted, the government should be doing better and i am sure they did what they thought was fine back then but the congestion in lagos and the lack of a proper maintenance culture are the key factors. another factor is the orientation of lagos residents who dump whatever in their drainage system forgetting those things would still come back and haunt them.
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 08, 2011
Flooding in Lagos especially in the Island including VI, Ikoyi etc can never be curbed unless they stopped all this sand-filling of the Lagoon. Someone call for a new drainage system, well it is good but are those people in those areas ready for demolition of their houses to construct a better drainage system. If government should take this step, all you will  hear is Fashola is wicked and nairalanders will join in this cry
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by atasteve: 10:56pm On Oct 08, 2011
What do we do to the existing drainage on our streets and roads, do we constantly clear them of all the dirts that we heap into them.

Cleanliness is something that government will never do for us!
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Kobojunkie: 11:00pm On Oct 08, 2011
obo_man:

@Mariory, [size=15pt]this isn't the first time continuous 5hours plus rain is hitting us. Our tropical climate has been with us for centuries.[/size] I'm certain if industrialized nations are faced with this same problem, they would have provided effective strategy to deal with it long time ago,

Thank you for redirecting this back to the obvious for those who seem to think this should be compared to what is obtained in regions where 5 hour rain is NOT THE NORM!
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 08, 2011
Batam:

Flooding in Lagos especially in the Island including VI, Ikoyi etc can never be curbed unless they stopped all this sand-filling of the Lagoon.
u are the first person to see one of the things others have refused to see. What bola tinubu and Oba of Lagos are doing by sandfilling the other side of Ilubirin estate is one of the major causes of this drainage palava. we are complaining that when it rains, the water becomes stagnant and finds no where to go, yet since 2006 when Tinubu and his fellow criminals began these sand filling, they never thought of the aftermath. its just a pity that majority of posters aren't armed with info before they make comments on NL. I'm in the construction industry and should be able to say to some level how to tackle this menace. where these guy are sandfilling is a sea where drainages were previously channelled to. now that they want to building houses on same, its gonna become night mare for thousands other residents

Someone call for a new drainage system, well it is good but are those people in those areas ready for demolition of their houses to construct a better drainage system. If government should take this step, all you will  hear is Fashola is wicked and nairalanders will join in this cry
yes we have identified above one of the major causes of this problem. it would only be logical to re direct or re-chanel this drains to somewhere else, when where it ought to go has be used as a money making venture. its a big lie that if fashola wants to demolish structures, pple would cry. ask urself after the initial noise that was made on july 11th 2011, what happened afterwards? nothing. May be next year God forbid, we might have another discussion on same
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 09, 2011
Re: Lagos Floods: Todays Flooding Is Heavier Than That Of July 10 by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2011
Hell as floods cut off Apapa-Oshodi expressway

October 8, 2011

News

By WALE AKINOLA

The downpour in Lagos that started on Friday and continued till the early hours of Saturday triggered floods in some parts of the metropolis.

One of the worst hit areas by the floods was Apapa-Oshodi expressway, the gateway to the nation’s busiest ports, which was cut-off at two points between Cele Bus Stop and Mile 2, effectively shutting down vehicular traffic.

Scores of vehicles which attempted to wade through the floods at Coker and Jakande Bus Stops were stuck right in the middle, trapping occupants.

An articulated vehicle on the Oshodi bound lane fell into a ditch as it attempted to make its way through the floods.

The resultant traffic on the Apapa bound lane stretched several kilometres, from Coker Bus Stop to Cele, while the one on the Oshodi bound started from Coker, stretching past Mile 2 to Berger Yard.

For many motorists and commuters, it was hell on earth. While the motorists, stuck in the traffic, resigned to fate, scores of commuters from both ends of the expressway took to trekking.

Women and children among the commuters were a pitiable sight as they waded through the floods at Coker and Jakande Bus stops.

Many Mile 2 bound commercial vehicles took one way from Cele to avoid the crippling traffic but ended up discharging commuters at Coker after charging twice the normal fare of N50

www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/hell-as-floods-cut-off-apapa-oshodi-expressway/

(1) (Reply)

The New Igp, Md Abubakar's Past Sins: A Bad Replacement For Ringim! / Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Sanwo-olu Lays Wreath To Honor Fallen Heroes / $35bn Required To Kick-Start Road Construction Nationwide – Umahi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.