Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,862 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time (46957 Views)

Korean Team Members' Names: If You Were The Commentator, What Would You Do? / The greatest Football Commentator in the game and Why? / Benjamin Okenna Swadinho: Pidgin Commentator In Russia 2018 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Nairalander248: 6:33pm On Jul 23, 2023
Who said so?
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by aswani(m): 6:34pm On Jul 23, 2023
nairalanda1:
Nice, but it is not a Naptu2 thread? shocked

I am surprised too.

I think he has given up on this section because the Insurance FA cup win thread was also started by someone else and he never posted there once.

Anyway back to Mazi Ernest Okonkwo, a nickname giving legend. Incredible descriptive abilities and did some incredible homework on his players.
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Prenonjebose: 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2023
He was a legend truly. Ernest brought fun and laughter to his commentries. He had a way of igniting your emotions and imagination. It was fun listening to him as a young lad.

2 Likes

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by NSK4U(m): 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2023
Padipadi:
Legendary commentator.

Your post is like you are saying Igbos are the best. When this lead to bashing, no cry o.

Would he rather say your own tribe is the best to satisfy your thirst?

What stops you from saying that your tribe is the best, anyone?
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by ebufa: 6:39pm On Jul 23, 2023
Racoon:
The ingenuity of the Igbo man is truly legendary.Ernest Okonkwo was indeed legendary in his own class but I still think Akiloye Oyebanji almost came close. Same as Larry Izamuje of Brilla Sports. Modele Sarafa-Yusuf also tried

That is not Ernest Okonkwo by any stretch of the imagination..........that is Dele Adetiba of NTA , Ernest okonkwo was on Radio exclusively......this guy commenting is laid back compared to the scintillating commentary of Ernest okonkwo!
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by ppogba: 6:46pm On Jul 23, 2023
confusedlady:

It was not Fabio Olanipekun.
I repeat,the 1980 AFCON final between Nigeria 3 Algeria 0, was run on the NTA by Dele Adetiba and the late Yinka Craig.
Fabio Olanipekun was a later commentator on NTA. Yinka and Dele were his seniors in NTA.
Ernest Okonkwo on the other hand was the senior commentator on FRCN, I repeat Ernest Okonkwo never ran sports commentary on television, he was only on radio through out his career.

100%.

I am.surprised hearing people talk about Ernest on TV!

2 Likes

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by phemmyfour: 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2023
tommy589:
No one comes close!

"Mathematical" Odegbami, "Chairman" Chukwu etc. was coined by him
Triple C

Chairman Christian Chukwu
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by IMPARTIAL: 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2023
The players you mentioned are not complete.

How about John Chiedozie and Tunji Banjo? They were the only 2 foreign players we had.
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by omoadeleye(m): 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2023
Just listening to him.

He was just mid
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by rippa(m): 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2023
Padipadi:
Legendary commentator.

Your post is like you are saying Igbos are the best. When this lead to bashing, no cry o.
are THE igbos not the best B4?
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Pacesetter123(m): 7:21pm On Jul 23, 2023
I have heard a lot about this man.
Can somebody send his voice recorded commentaries to me?
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by awesomegenius(m): 7:23pm On Jul 23, 2023
Davicl:
Reminds me of Mofi ijemba and co On birllafm Sunday sport show ...... kaiiiii 😊 old golden days

Now brilafm, is something else.
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by awesomegenius(m): 7:25pm On Jul 23, 2023
Lucymercy:
I heard some of his commentary ..he is great and l also duff my hat for Larry Izamuje of brilla fm.. He also nicknamed some of our Super Eagle e g
Obafemi Martins--Obagol,weapon of mass destruction
Julius Aghaowa--Aghao wonder.

I miss the old brilafm

1 Like

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by CJStarz: 7:58pm On Jul 23, 2023
Yes indeed,Igbos are always the best at what they do but the late Akinloye Oyebanji, though Yoruba, was a Star. I still remember his commentaries during Atlanta '96! Modele was impeccable as well.
Paul Ogazi did excellently well too. They were clear and audible and didn't rush their commentries.
Private news media sportscasters don dabaru everything. D way they dey rush sports news and commentaries dey vex me no be small.

Padipadi:
Legendary commentator.

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Azzik: 8:06pm On Jul 23, 2023
Racoon:
Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator of All Time, We Haven't Seen His Replacement

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02DXKeKRYLCfWa3r8WoLfjgRSAKy3d3HekNPT4c3edxF99AhsvqYbkjSWX2Lfmdae7l&id=100076000014842&post_id=100076000014842_pfbid02DXKeKRYLCfWa3r8WoLfjgRSAKy3d3HekNPT4c3edxF99AhsvqYbkjSWX2Lfmdae7l&mibextid=Nif5oz
The guy is really good...it's commentary is very fluent like that of the British
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Oakenshield: 8:12pm On Jul 23, 2023
NTA commentators 🤣😂🤣😂😂😂 needs flogging
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by gfaruk(m): 8:16pm On Jul 23, 2023
I would love to be a football commentator
How do one go about it

1 Like

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Emmahunk(m): 8:19pm On Jul 23, 2023
Great post about a great football commentator of my youth. Was looking forward to that commentary that has words like;

'Tell it not to the people. Say it not in the streets of Lagos, but Nigeria is....goals down '

The guy was so good with words. May his soul continue to rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Davicl: 8:45pm On Jul 23, 2023
awesomegenius:

Now brilafm, is something else.

I really miss those days, Anthony and rest it's was indeed a fantastic 😊 spot show, can't have my Sunday lunch without a radio close by then
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by LZAA: 8:51pm On Jul 23, 2023
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by ofuonyebi: 9:06pm On Jul 23, 2023
this picture of ANEX OKWONKWO....truly depicts the ugly backwardness of Nigeria..
we are talking of a man who ran football commentary in 1980s when modernity and technology has gone viral

is their no better memorable pics from NTA to honour this man?
or are all our archives dead too like every other sector?

shame! shame!

2 Likes

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by AskNgige2: 9:07pm On Jul 23, 2023
tommy589:
No one comes close!

"Mathematical" Odegbami, "Chairman" Chukwu etc. was coined by him
Igbos were not much in football then.

Yeruba dominate then
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Padipadi(m): 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2023
rippa:

are THE igbos not the best B4?
They are the worst!
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Padipadi(m): 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2023
NSK4U:

Would he rather say your own tribe is the best to satisfy your thirst?

What stops you from saying that your tribe is the best, anyone?
Good idea.
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by 4getluv: 9:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
orohbiro:
Lol this guy with is local English go and look Ghana league commentators those guy are good the reason I don't watch Nigeria league is because of the commentators I can do a better job more than then. The guy on vandrenzzer TV is good but due to corruption dey just being bringing nonsense calling them commentators . example about this guy
The ball enh! Is going enh! To the number 7 enh what a shot enh! Chai grin
The post here is not about comparison jackie
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by rippa(m): 9:35pm On Jul 23, 2023
Padipadi:

They are the worst!
🤣🤣
Envy
Because they are better than u🤣🤣🤣
Why wont U hate them
They are one of the most successful tribe in the world
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by ChiefS(m): 9:37pm On Jul 23, 2023
He died in the early 1990s. He was indeed a legend
seguno2:

Is he still alive?
If not, when did he die and what age?

Are these things not important to complete the story
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Swissli(f): 9:49pm On Jul 23, 2023
Two Nollywood Actors In One
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by biafranrealson: 10:52pm On Jul 23, 2023
Racoon:
The ingenuity of the Igbo man is truly legendary.Ernest Okonkwo was indeed legendary in his own class but I still think Akiloye Oyebanji almost came close. Same as Larry Izamuje of Brilla Sports. Modele Sarafa-Yusuf also tried

Akinloye was a football presenter/ anchor sports program, never a football commentator inside the stadium
Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Padipadi(m): 11:23pm On Jul 23, 2023
rippa:

🤣🤣
Envy
Because they are better than u🤣🤣🤣
Why wont U hate them
They are one of the most successful tribe in the world
Is chest beating a sign of success?
BabaRamota1980:
Yoruba culture, going places!
And we no even reason am cos success too much. It's inborn, all glory to God.
Unlike some people that ll claim their tribe is the most successful without data to show. Shey na chest beating be achievement?

2 Likes

Re: Ernest Okonkwo: Nigeria's Best Football Commentator Of All Time by Shikena(m): 11:36pm On Jul 23, 2023
On the match clip posted, chei. Segun Odegbami was truly phenomenal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

So Touching!!the Story Of Cristiano Ronaldo And Albert Fantrau. / Nigeria Vs Seychelles: Francis Uzoho Blasted After Goal Blunder (Photos) / Amara Kanu Apologizes For Exposing Her Family Issues Online (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.