Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,483 members, 7,830,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? (10483 Views)

Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids — Lady Advises Nigerian Parents / Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by laivwire(m): 5:01pm On Jul 26, 2023
That's because it's a broken version of English. Same way people miscommunicate other languages across the world. There's pidgin french, pidgin German etc

And it's as a result of semi literate to non literate people trying to speak the language without learning it.

Way back in school, my roommate educated me on the importance of speaking languages correctly without the filler phrases and slangs and it has helped me a great deal. Wonder why people flunk IELTS repeatedly and some pass it at one go? Or why some people spend years in the western world and still can't construct simple sentences? minding the fact that communication skills are one of the most important skills to master in the job market today.

I'd rather have my kids consciously speak Queen's English and their local dialects as two distinct languages than to speak just pidgin.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by achimendy(m): 5:03pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:
Honestly, I feel like if most of the subjects we struggled to understand in secondary school e.g Mathematics, were taught in pidgin English, alot of us would have become mathematics wizards...

You can't go to China or Japan and find their teachers teaching their students in English, that is one of the reasons I believe these guys are witches and wizards when it comes to anything Maths and Sciences...

Why do our parents feel like pidgin English is a forbidden language..

Sometimes you see some parents seriously warning Their kids never to speak pidgin else they get flogged...

With the English we still have a lot of mathematics wizards in Nigeria and outside Nigeria, what's your point??

You never really tell us wetin make you no sabi mathematics o.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by kogi2010: 5:03pm On Jul 26, 2023
i was in south africa some years back and i find out that when ever i speak pigin dey always try to imitate me and i ask why they said thy love it especially when we say i no get na i dey ur side i want go eat etc and was feeling like a champ, but come down to naija na rubbish
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Sassyp(m): 5:12pm On Jul 26, 2023
Imagine being a Nigerian nd not know how to speak Pidgin...God forbid..
kokoBoii:
Honestly, I feel like if most of the subjects we struggled to understand in secondary school e.g Mathematics, were taught in pidgin English, alot of us would have become mathematics wizards...

You can't go to China or Japan and find their teachers teaching their students in English, that is one of the reasons I believe these guys are witches and wizards when it comes to anything Maths and Sciences...

Sometimes you see some parents seriously warning Their kids never to speak pidgin else they get flogged...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by babaRUNtinz(m): 5:27pm On Jul 26, 2023
Translate "your head no correct" for English, you go know say English no too easy.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Timular: 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2023
Because our parents are not proud of what they have.
Neo-colonialism, we always believe that the white are better than us.
Self inferiority, always disturb our parents

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Acidosis(m): 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2023
Studying in Delta state and residing among Uhrobo/Warri indigenes influenced my English language in a way that I have grown to adore. I feel happier and more at ease when I communicate in pidgin (usually with friends I made from way back).

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by oakenfold: 5:32pm On Jul 26, 2023
Because it is bad English. You don't want kids confused while learning English in their formative years. After you don pass your WAEC and JAMB, you can speak all the Pidgin you want.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by isabi2lof: 5:33pm On Jul 26, 2023
Exactly what Seyi was telling Doyin as at yesterday, I really love how Seyi answered her , we ain't proud of our own heritage.. undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Swissli(f): 5:36pm On Jul 26, 2023
Common Sense, Origin undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Pinkyposh(f): 5:57pm On Jul 26, 2023
Would you like your children to be speaking Pidgin English at all times?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by musicwriter(m): 6:23pm On Jul 26, 2023
Cassandraloius:
No 1 reason is because they want them to stand out amongst others whenever they find themselves.
2. Is because they might eventually study in the western world or work there.
3. Pidgin will make them local champions😂 grin
On the other hand
Nigerians don't value what they have, they feel it's barbaric, meanwhile even some of the whites wants to learn our pidgin.

Your unitemized reason is actually the cause. The other three are effects.

The whole purpose white people gave us language, education religion is to undervalue ourselves and anything we create.

If Britain came to Africa with pidgin English, we'll be jumping upon ourselves competing who shall speak the best pidgin..... as we do right now in English, and our brothers and sisters enslaved in neighboring countries by France do for French.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Alcoron: 6:25pm On Jul 26, 2023
Pidgin English is a horrible variant of English language. And if you were taught mathematics in pidgin you would have failed more woefully. Stopping looking for excuses. Mathematics is not easy.

Pidgin English is good for say copywriting.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Blackdisciple(m): 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2023
Because we have been brain washed by the white just as they have brain washed us with white wedding that all nigerian girls are dying for, we speak their language but they don't speak ours.

It is understandable that they imposed English on us so that we and them can understand eachother while communicating but it shouldn't be our official language. Official languages should be based on states and regions in nigeria...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by poseidon12: 6:34pm On Jul 26, 2023
It's bad English of course.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by dreu2fine(m): 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:

It's English your language
Even the mother tonque de can't speak

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by mastermaestro(m): 7:02pm On Jul 26, 2023
Sinof:
Is Messi Spanish?
NO. He is from Argentina but spoke Spanish to show you that Spanish is their adopted official language that can be used to communicate with a wide and diverse range of people.Messi has his own indeginous language but also learnt Spanish in school like we did English in order to be able to communicate with educated people.

Thank you for a lecture well delivered. grin
Internet has given many people cheap opportunity to spread flawed opinions. That's why when I read some naive comments like the one you addressed, I instantly lose the interest to respond. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by MatrixCircle: 7:03pm On Jul 26, 2023
When you travel out you will know the importance of pidgin English.
That's our way of communication among Naija make Oyibo no understanding us especially at work.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Onewazobia(m): 7:33pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:

You can't go to China or Japan and find their teachers teaching their students in English, that is one of the reasons I believe these guys are witches and wizards when it comes to anything Maths and Sciences... pingin hard pass queens

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Hotice085: 7:44pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:

Lies
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by masterduba(m): 7:52pm On Jul 26, 2023
As an active academic writer, I don't think writing in pidgin would endear me to a prospective client who wants to see proof of my language competency during our first chat.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by HRMK: 7:59pm On Jul 26, 2023
BUT IS IT GOOD ENGLISH?CAN YOU PASS ANY ENGLISH EXAM WITH IT?IF NOT. OF WHAT USE IS IT?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Gmajor(m): 8:40pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:
Which is absolutely not necessarily
Why do you say that?
Reading and writing local languages is something you learn in school.
A lot of culture and tradition is also covered in school
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by samsard(m): 8:45pm On Jul 26, 2023
illicit:
In China, they don't teach them in pidgin too

U could have advocated for being taught in Indigenous language

Pidgin English is colloquial English

Why the parents and teachers frown at it is because it affects your proper English Language Learning and usage

I am a Linguist
Most of my cousins speak pristine English when they want and they still speak pidgin fluently. This is nothing but faux elitism. We are capable of speaking more than one language properly.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by illicit(m): 8:47pm On Jul 26, 2023
samsard:
Most of my cousins speak pristine English when they want and they still speak pidgin fluently. This is nothing but faux elitism. We are capable of speaking more than one language properly.

Yeah sure

There are always exceptions to every norms or situations

There's something called Language interference, it's a whole course in Linguistics

I am a Linguist
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Vulcan24(m): 8:57pm On Jul 26, 2023
Have u seen how non English speaking countries always struggle to express themselves?
Wats the value of knowledge if it can't be expressed, communicated and transfered to others ?

Think deep on y there is development in sci & tech in one language - English

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by hardon1(m): 9:58pm On Jul 26, 2023
finallybusy:
Look at the class of people who speak it and make your conclusion. Last I remember, books aren't written in the lingo nor do the speakers bother to improve themselves literature-wise. You either pick one, mastering English or pidgin. there is no in-between.

How do pidgin English speakers look like. They are no different from those who speak English.

Believe it or not, you cannot undermine pidgin, it's Nigeria's number 1 unofficial language. And I see noting wrong with it. It is a free and easy language

We have electronic and print media dedicated to Pidgin. In fifty years time, I see Nigeria adopting it as official language. When I have kids, in as much as I want them to learn English language, I would also want them to understand and relate In pidgin, as well as my local language
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Legendre2(m): 10:12pm On Jul 26, 2023
Sinof:
Is Messi Spanish?
NO. He is from Argentina but spoke Spanish to show you that Spanish is their adopted official language that can be used to communicate with a wide and diverse range of people.Messi has his own indeginous language but also learnt Spanish in school like we did English in order to be able to communicate with educated people.

What is the name of Messi's indigenous language?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by masterpiecer(m): 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2023
Pigdin English does not have grammatical structure, hence it cannot be well expressed in terms of teaching certain subject in the sciences. It is mostly filled with expressions and slangs, it is colloquial and unstructured.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:28am On Jul 27, 2023
I have no problem with either or any option, just speak out clearly and let me understand the meaning of the words, be it in queens English or pidgin or local language, and that would do.

It should not be a reason to label people. And its not relevant to use it as a yardstick to label people.

You can speak alien English too, as long as its audible, structured and easy to understand. cool cool. I would even encourage you to speak Alien English as long as its well expressed.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by member13(m): 3:43am On Jul 27, 2023
Sinof:
Is Messi Spanish?

Sir, the language spoken in Argentina is Spanish. Messi's indigenous language is also Spanish. Where do you guys get these lies from? Of course, the Spanish spoken in Argentina sounds different, like comparing American English and British English, but they are essentially the same. Messi never learnt Spanish; he grew up speaking it in Argentina like every other Argentine.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Acidosis(m): 3:52am On Jul 27, 2023
masterduba:
As an active academic writer, I don't think writing in pidgin would endear me to a prospective client who wants to see proof of my language competency during our first chat.

Depends on the "prospective" client. Some people get paid writing in pidgin, yoruba, igbo, etc. A lot of them are in the media, including international organisations like BBC, Amnesty International, Google, etc.

As far as these organisations are concerned, pidgin English is another language, a mode of communication.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. / Could My Husband Be Having An Affair? / Help Me Plan A Party For My Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.