Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,497 members, 7,830,502 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? (10484 Views)

Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids — Lady Advises Nigerian Parents / Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by samsard(m): 6:08am On Jul 27, 2023
illicit:

Yeah sure

There are always exceptions to every norms or situations

There's something called Language interference, it's a whole course in Linguistics

I am a Linguist
I'd be more interested in ensuring kids speak many languages fluently than focus solely on English. Some parents apply the same logic even with their own languages.
If kids read well enough, sometimes watch TV programmes in proper English & use it adequately in the right contexts, it'll definitely help them master English & each language with minimal language interference.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by illicit(m): 6:23am On Jul 27, 2023
samsard:
I'd be more interested in ensuring kids speak many languages fluently than focus solely on English. Some parents apply the same logic even with their own languages.
If kids read well enough, sometimes watch TV programmes in proper English & use it adequately in the right contexts, it'll definitely help them master English & each language with minimal language interference.

Yeah sure

In Linguistics, there's Underground structure and surface structure

Now speaking many Languages is not bad, infact you don't have to be educated to be bilingual(speaking) but writing and speaking is a different thing, u have to learn that at a school

In language interference, while you may speak or use 2 or more languagess correctly, there are always instants where u will unknowingly transfer properties/attributes of one language to another, like concepts

In English Language, there are names for degrees of rainfall and there are particular verbs attached to them. You have drizzle, rain, shower, storm etc, in some other languages, rain is rain no matter the degree

Such a speaker of Language B now who speaks English may always refer to any rainfall as rain no matter the degree...

Now to Pidgin, it's worse because it doesn't follow any convention, everybody can have their own version of it, what's acceptable and understandable here might be strange to another speaker... It is not a language, it's just a corrupted version of a standard language but it serves a purpose, it is used for communication, Most importantly when u have a standard language speaker and a illiterate, they may still communicate, thanks to Pidgin.

In Niger Delta, pidgin is almost a Creole
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by joshuanwankwo(m): 7:26am On Jul 27, 2023
kokoBoii:
Honestly, I feel like if most of the subjects we struggled to understand in secondary school e.g Mathematics, were taught in pidgin English, alot of us would have become mathematics wizards...

Very much true, I remember when I used to teach mathematics. They were finding it very difficult until I used pidgin. This made the class more relaxed and ready to learn.

You can't go to China or Japan and find their teachers teaching their students in English, that is one of the reasons I believe these guys are witches and wizards when it comes to anything Maths and Sciences...

Why do our parents feel like pidgin English is a forbidden language..

Sometimes you see some parents seriously warning Their kids never to speak pidgin else they get flogged...

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Truvelisback(m): 7:44am On Jul 27, 2023
kokoBoii:
Honestly, I feel like if most of the subjects we struggled to understand in secondary school e.g Mathematics, were taught in pidgin English, alot of us would have become mathematics wizards...

You can't go to China or Japan and find their teachers teaching their students in English, that is one of the reasons I believe these guys are witches and wizards when it comes to anything Maths and Sciences...

Why do our parents feel like pidgin English is a forbidden language..

Sometimes you see some parents seriously warning Their kids never to speak pidgin else they get flogged...

It's the British people that caused it. They want us to accept their language and abandon ours.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by cowboyT: 8:00am On Jul 27, 2023
Either pidgin or mother's tongue, some parents don't allow it. They will rather spend thousands just for their child to speak like the queen.
mumu people.
I've worked with Indians and Chinese, some of these people don't understand "GO", but if you see them in their area of expertise, you will be dumbstruck.
Na oversabi dey worry us for naija, and until we value our own stuffs and stop looking at them as local or barbaric, we no dey go anywhere.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by cowboyT: 8:14am On Jul 27, 2023
Queen's language is your colonial and slave master language. anything you make out of the above statement, Na ur own palava.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by cowboyT: 8:21am On Jul 27, 2023
Vulcan24:
Have u seen how non English speaking countries always struggle to express themselves?
Wats the value of knowledge if it can't be expressed, communicated and transfered to others ?

Think deep on y there is development in sci & tech in one language - English

SCI and TECH advancement is not in english alone bro, it's because English is our official language, so we get them in that language.
Russians, Koreans, Chinese Japanese and even Germans are also Tech wiz but they are not doing it in ur darling English language.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by kareemkamil(m): 8:30am On Jul 27, 2023
blazepascal:
Because our official language is English.😄

U are totally out of contexts
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Vulcan24(m): 10:35am On Jul 27, 2023
cowboyT:

SCI and TECH advancement is not in english alone bro, it's because English is our official language, so we get them in that language.
Russians, Koreans, Chinese Japanese and even Germans are also Tech wiz but they are not doing it in ur darling English language.

You still miss my point, how best can you transfer knowledge and which universal text is most used ? Isn't it English? Don't bother arguing points when it's factual. The text u using here is English, even non English speaking countries still translate to English all their science n tech exports
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by KennethEnyi(m): 4:58pm On Jul 27, 2023
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Na low mentality dey worry dem normally........Abi when messi, wasn't the greatest player ever was unveiled at the MLS league last week,he didn't speak English but his spanish......I wonder why we Nigerians can't value our own language here...

Las las, pigin ain't no english but a language on its own.

Spanish is not even his natural language sef because he is Argentinian and Argentina was conquered by Spain so that's why he speaks spanish
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by KennethEnyi(m): 4:59pm On Jul 27, 2023
Guyman01:
You can't use pidgin English to write WAEC or report for an international journal.
Children should be allowed to speak Pidgin when they are in an informal setting and good English when necessary with proper diction too.
Native languages should also be encouraged

Native languages no help anybody Abeg
Speak it in your house
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by masterduba(m): 5:40pm On Jul 27, 2023
Acidosis:

Depends on the "prospective" client. Some people get paid writing in pidgin, yoruba, igbo, etc. A lot of them are in the media, including international organisations like BBC, Amnesty International, Google, etc.

As far as these organisations are concerned, pidgin English is another language, a mode of communication.

I speak for myself as an academic writer. I have never been asked to produce a paper, marketing research plan or a business plan in Pidgin English. I have also not seen the same written in Broken English.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. / Could My Husband Be Having An Affair? / Help Me Plan A Party For My Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.