Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,972 members, 7,814,292 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis (1393 Views)

Why Scientist Never Look At Creation Stories/myths? / There Are Two Creation Stories In Genesis And Two Flood Stories / BOOK Of GENESIS (Listen to learn how our World was created by GOD) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 10:51pm On Jul 29, 2023
Good day brothers and sisters,
I have always been interested in why there appear to be two different creation stories in the book of Genesis.
One story is recorded in Genesis chapter one and the other story is recorded in Genesis chapter 2.
In the Genesis chapter one story the Almighty omnipotent and omniscient God wills everything into existence, while in the account in Genesis Chapter two,God appears to be more closer to his creations and appears not to be so omniscient .

1 Like

Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 10:51pm On Jul 29, 2023
Chapter one.

Genesis 1
King James Version
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 11:02pm On Jul 29, 2023
Chapter two.

Genesis 2
New International Version
2 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

Adam and Eve
4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, when the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.

5 Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth[a] and no plant had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no one to work the ground, 6 but streams[b] came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground. 7 Then the Lord God formed a man[c] from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. 11 The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin[d] and onyx are also there.) 13 The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush.[e] 14 The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Ashur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates.

15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”

24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

25 Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 11:09pm On Jul 29, 2023
Please can someone enlighten on why there appear to be two creation stories?
Why God did not know that man~Adam and Eve would eat from the forbidden fruit,when they lacked the knowledge of good and bad. Or was it freewill at work?
I would appreciate answers from those who are more enlightened.
Thank you.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by mbaise1000: 11:50pm On Jul 29, 2023
TheMadame:
Why God did not know that man~Adam and Eve would eat from the forbidden fruit,when they lacked the knowledge of good and bad. Or was it freewill at work?
Thank you.

The answers are linked, first the account started I genesis 1: 1 "in the beginning" it NEVER said when that beginning was, remember that it has been proved that the world is millions of years, in that begining, it said that the earth was void, which means that the world did not start at that time but we Christians the story from the account God gave to Moses and our story started from there, we may not know what happened to the world BEFORE God started again but we should know that the bible said that God created us and everything for his own pleasure and purpose, we cannot ask God why
This will bring us to the second question why God didn't know that Adam and Eve will disobey him, if we believe that God knows everyone of us even before we are born, if we believe that God is all knowing, we must accept that it was God who put the serpent on the garden with Adam and Eve, it was Him too that planted that apple in that garden, that He knows exactly what is going to happen and how and has a plan ALREADY, He ALREADY had Jesus Christ in mind, nomy pastor will say that the world is a film and God is the director and it's Him that wrote the script and gave every actor the part He or she will act, and he said that the name of that film is REDEMPTION.
THAT God simply want to manifest his attributes, He was the one who ordered Israel to pass through difficult paths on their way back to the promised land when there are easier and faster and safer ways, it's Him that said for this purpose I created pharoah to show my power,
to be continued.
Let me go and watch again and come back
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Dantedasz(m): 12:37am On Jul 30, 2023
TheMadame:
Thank you.

@Themadame,

I suggest you goggle ENUMA ELISH BOOK. The Bible genesis stories such as the creation,Tower of Babel and Noah flood stories are plagiarism of ancient Babylonian stories. Most of these stories had existed in one form or the other eons before the bible.
When you understand that most of the books In the biblical cannon are ascribed to names of people who did NOT write the books,a whole lot of the mystery is simplified.
The Bible books are simply clever and careful plagiarism of ancient stories. Once you understand and accept this everything will fall into place and you will begin your journey to freedom from indoctrination.

2 Likes

Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by CodeTemplar: 7:51am On Jul 30, 2023
Genesis chapter 1 and 2 are not two different accounts but two chronologically overlapping and complementary accounts. Chapter one stresses creation pattern, and chapter two relates formation pattern to created things and creatures.

I implore OP to study it again but slowly and carefully.

Formation is of the flesh. Creation of the spirit.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 8:22am On Jul 30, 2023
TheMadame:
Thank you

No two stories only one.

Did God not say, "dont eat"?
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 8:23am On Jul 30, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Genesis chapter 1 and 2 are not two different accounts but two chronologically overlapping and complementary accounts. Chapter one stresses creation pattern, and chapter two relates formation pattern to created things and creatures.

Tell them o
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 8:28am On Jul 30, 2023
Dantedasz:

@Themadame,

I suggest you goggle ENUMA ELISH BOOK. The Bible genesis stories such as the creation,Tower of Babel and Noah flood stories are plagiarism of ancient Babylonian stories. Most of these stories had existed in one form or the other eons before the bible.
When you understand that most of the books In the biblical cannon are ascribed to names of people who did NOT write the books,a whole lot of the mystery is simplified.
The Bible books are simply clever and careful plagiarism of ancient stories. Once you understand and accept this everything will fall into place and you will begin your journey to freedom from indoctrination.

Or the Babylon stories were created for the purpose covering and misrepresenting the Truth.

Not everyone loves lies like you
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Caveatemptor(m): 8:44am On Jul 30, 2023
What does it for me is this verse in chapter two. How does an omnipotent god have to rest?
I have always been worried about this verse even when I was a child.

1 Like

Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 8:53am On Jul 30, 2023
Caveatemptor:
What does it for me is this verse in chapter two. How does an omnipotent god have to rest?
I have always been worried about this verse even when I was a child.

Does ability to do anything prevent the stopping and taking a rest?
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by ReacherSaidNoth: 8:53am On Jul 30, 2023
TheMadame:
Thank you.

The simple answer is that it is badly written mythology. Another part of the creation story that should give you pause is that plantlife came into existence before there was even a sun.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 9:11am On Jul 30, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:
The simple answer is that it is badly written mythology. Another part of the creation story that should give you pause is that plantlife came into existence before there was even a sun.

The simple answer is you wish it not to be true. And common sense would have told you that things are first created and sustained before being put in a system.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by ReacherSaidNoth: 9:18am On Jul 30, 2023
Veecruz:

The simple answer is you wish it not to be true. And common sense would have told you that things are first created and sustained before being put in a system.

Your education has been a waste...spits.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 9:23am On Jul 30, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:
Your education has been a waste...spits.
Your insult just proves how you had nothing in the first place and that you are the waste
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by ReacherSaidNoth: 9:27am On Jul 30, 2023
Veecruz:

Your insult just proves how you had nothing in the first place
You are right. There is no way I can get through to someone who has been spoon fed baseless fables since infancy and has had not even a basic education in science.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 9:39am On Jul 30, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:
You are right. There is no way I can get through to someone who has been spoon fed baseless fables since infancy and has had not even a basic education in science.

And yet with all your education you could not counter. Rather you resorted to insults

If you had any thing you would have said so that in the end we would all see that you are right. But you have nothing hence your resort to insults
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by ReacherSaidNoth: 9:47am On Jul 30, 2023
Veecruz:

And yet with all your education you could not counter. Rather you resorted to insults

If you had any thing you would have said so that in the end we would all see that you are right. But you have nothing hence your resort to insults
Plants require sunlight for growth and also for photosynthesis, even children in elementary school know this. Now in your holy book which is supposed to be free of error, you're told that not only was the earth in existence before the sun, a life form which could not survive without the sun, was created before it. Do you see the problem?
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 9:58am On Jul 30, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:
Plants require sunlight for growth and also for photosynthesis, even children in elementary school know this. Now in your holy book which is supposed to be free of error, you're told that not only was the earth in existence before the sun, a life form which could not survive without the sun, was created before it. Do you see the problem?

Only for continuous living like a car needs fuel and a phone needs it's charger and appropriate electricity current. But when they are created, they created to live first, then they can be put in an environment that guarantees their continuous good living. Just like God that is how many of the things we have created also first started.

Our phones were already created and living before the chargers where made. Same for our cars which definitely require fuels the oils to keep living.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by ReacherSaidNoth: 10:03am On Jul 30, 2023
Veecruz:

Only for continuous living like a car needs fuel and a phone needs it's charger and appropriate electricity current. But when they are created, they created to live first, then they can be put in an environment that guarantees their continuous good living. Just like God that is how many of the things we have created also first started.

Our phones were already created and living before the chargers where made. Same for our cars which definitely require fuels the oils to keep living.
I'm done here.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by obonujoker(m): 10:10am On Jul 30, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:

Light (Sun) was created before all things.

Please look it up.

1 Like

Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Veecruz: 10:22am On Jul 30, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:
I'm done here.

You should argue if you ever think you can justify your claims but you are frustrated because you can't.

And your problem is you do not appreciate that creators do whatever he they want to do. And it is their right. And normally the first things created are the things itself as we have shown with our phones and cars which were first working before being placed in an environment that guarantees their continuous living and working.

If God had decided to make plants live without the sun, can you stop Him? Damn to think that there are plants living under mountains and deep caves, like the ones found in abandoned mines and ocean depths where the sun does not reach. Oya, where is the sun there?
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by bobestman(m): 10:56am On Jul 30, 2023
It is cos it is not the true story but have some truth. There are ancient books that predates the bible and many of the bible stories was copied from. There were god men who ruled the world before Adam was created. Adam was created in the heavens and placed on earth. The Creator created another kind of men different from the god men he want to rule the world. This angered and made the rebelious god men jealous. They created another kind of men like the Creator they want to use to spoil the Creator's plan and corrupt the true seed. So in you bible their are 2 Adams, a Creator and gods who also created. The gods created their own version of everything the creator created to hide the truth - this is the god game! The gods rule this world. Endtime/the age of Acquarious/the age of the truth is the end of the god game. This is why your bible is all about the ppl called Isreal. They only are of the pure bloodline of the Creator and will save the world from the gods and their control over men.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by Maynman: 10:58am On Jul 30, 2023
TheMadame:
Thank you.

The stories are gotten from different sources hence the “doublet”.

Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 2:29pm On Jul 30, 2023
mbaise1000:

The answers are linked, first the account started I genesis 1: 1 "in the beginning" it NEVER said when that beginning was, remember that it has been proved that the world is millions of years, in that begining, it said that the earth was void, which means that the world did not start at that time but we Christians the story from the account God gave to Moses and our story started from there, we may not know what happened to the world BEFORE God started again but we should know that the bible said that God created us and everything for his own pleasure and purpose, we cannot ask God why
This will bring us to the second question why God didn't know that Adam and Eve will disobey him, if we believe that God knows everyone of us even before we are born, if we believe that God is all knowing, we must accept that it was God who put the serpent on the garden with Adam and Eve, it was Him too that planted that apple in that garden, that He knows exactly what is going to happen and how and has a plan ALREADY, He ALREADY had Jesus Christ in mind, nomy pastor will say that the world is a film and God is the director and it's Him that wrote the script and gave every actor the part He or she will act, and he said that the name of that film is REDEMPTION.
THAT God simply want to manifest his attributes, He was the one who ordered Israel to pass through difficult paths on their way back to the promised land when there are easier and faster and safer ways, it's Him that said for this purpose I created pharoah to show my power,
to be continued.
Let me go and watch again and come back

This is even more confusing.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 2:34pm On Jul 30, 2023
Veecruz:

No two stories only one.

Did God not say, "dont eat"?

That there are one or two different stories is quite plain to see.

God said,"do not eat" to two beings that had no actual knowledge of what was good or bad.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 2:44pm On Jul 30, 2023
Dantedasz:

@Themadame,

Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 2:47pm On Jul 30, 2023
CodeTemplar:

I went over it again as you suggested . They may be one story,but they are told in different ways certainly.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by TheMadame(f): 2:51pm On Jul 30, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:

While this may be true you have to remember we are dealing with omnipotence here. God can will anything into existence.
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by mbaise1000: 2:55pm On Jul 30, 2023
TheMadame:

This is even more confusing.
I know
Re: Two Creation Stories In The Book Of genesis by mbaise1000: 3:03pm On Jul 30, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:
It said "in the beginning, it was void" the story here started from that time of creation, from where God wanted, and anything might have been before, but one certain thing is that there was a world before that,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Modern day Church And Her strange Practices / Anti-christ Is A Regular Nairalander / Baby 'starved To Death By Religious Cult Leaders For Failing To Say "amen"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.