Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,516 members, 7,819,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Career Crisis - What Do I Do - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Crisis - What Do I Do (11005 Views)

Mass Job Losses Loom In Q1 2023 Amid Naira Crisis - Manufacturers, Economist / Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. / COVID-19 LOCKDOWN: There is Opportunity In Every Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by lomprico(m): 2:39pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:
Hi guys,

So I recently got a job in a big 4 firm. Apparently I’m in tax and I am absolutely not finding it enjoyable.

I’m sad about this because I want to do audit.

I’m only sticking it through, it appears I cannot move in my firm because I just joined and going to a year.

I do want to leave to another big 4 firm to audit as I don’t mind starting over but then I do not know the process of doing this to make this move.

How do I cope with something I absolutely do not find joy in.

Advise…..

Quit
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by oyeb15: 2:40pm On Aug 02, 2023
Join the protests first. Amoda Ogunlere mission is to destroy every career and turn us all to touts.

One with an ugly foundation will never be happy to see progressive and educated youths.
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Abifarin16: 2:42pm On Aug 02, 2023
Thortp:
So, where is your diversity?
If you finally got the Audit job, what happens if you're moved to another department. Will you resign?
You say watin?? cheesy
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Labdi69: 2:43pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:
Hi guys,

So I recently got a job in a big 4 firm. Apparently I’m in tax and I am absolutely not finding it enjoyable.

I’m only sticking it through, it appears I cannot move in my firm because I just joined and going to a year.

I do want to leave to another big 4 firm to audit as I don’t mind starting over but then I do not know the process of doing this to make this move.

Advise…..

Lol i was in this exact dilemma. Will be back to advise you
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by ednut1(m): 2:46pm On Aug 02, 2023
But there is nothing enjoyable in audit hahaha. I worked in a big 4 before as an auditor too. I wished i was in tax.

3 Likes

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Vipro(m): 2:47pm On Aug 02, 2023
First of all, congrats on getting a job at a Big 4 firm! That's a huge accomplishment, even if you're not in the department you really want to be in. But let's talk about how you can make the best of your current situation.

Since you're new to the firm, I would suggest trying to learn as much as you can in your current role. Even though it's not what you want to do long-term, it's still a valuable experience that you can learn from. Maybe there are some transferable skills that you can take with you when you switch to audit.

2 Likes

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by arasayar(m): 2:49pm On Aug 02, 2023
Tax is very enjoyable in the big 4, not sure your issue with tax but if you do lots of audit of taxes you will stick around the audit teams, it also has the shortest route to partnership in my opinion. My advise to you is to gather experience while in tax now while you approach your partner and HR in your firm to inform them of your desire to switch to audit. This should not be a problem, as they will not want to lose a staff in the current high attrition rate era.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Dimaya: 2:51pm On Aug 02, 2023
I assume you're still in your twenties. Correct me if I am wrong. You need to know that almost nobody starts out their careers doing what they should be doing. Your first job enables them acquire the skills and relationships needed to remain employable. You acquire skills that the market demands/needs and then you go look for more people who have the same problem.

The world pays you for solving their problems. Your company pays you for creating and managing a customer. I'd advice you save yourself from the illusion of chasing after passion. It doesn't help most people.

In this video: the greatest years of your life, everyday Nigerians discuss first jobs, skills, expertise and career choices. It appears so mundane but I think some advice there should help navigate tour career decisions. All the best. Thank me later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHXkCsJ2fc

2 Likes

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Mountbatten: 2:53pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:
Hi guys,

Advise…..

Speak to your partner and let them know your concerns, as it's probably still early or close to the end of the FY depending on your firm.

Should they not listen, apply to another Big 4 (referral is much better) and move on.
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:03pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:
Hi guys,

Advise…..

Chartered yet?
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Watinhapen(m): 3:08pm On Aug 02, 2023
You have a job that at least pays your bills you’re complaining. Many people reading your post don’t have good paying jobs. Some don’t even have jobs. What will you tell them to do. Do you think jobs are meant to be enjoyed. People go to their work daily to get paid not to enjoy their jobs. If you want to enjoy your work, start your own business.

1 Like

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by 1forall: 3:09pm On Aug 02, 2023
And you're getting stressed out

No knowledge or experience is wasted. There are times you have to do what you don't really like but such experiences help you build character and also teach you how to deal with challenges & prepare you for future opportunities.

Since you don't know what the future holds just be thankful for where you are, learn as much as you can and enjoy it while at it.

Of course keep an eye out for what you'd prefer and go for it when you find the opportunity, but wherever you may be at any point in time remember; in life, no condition is permanent.

1 Like

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Druss(m): 3:09pm On Aug 02, 2023
Start by taking advantage of where you are. Identify the skills and relationships you need for audit. Look out for opportunities to broaden. Review how you message and position your skills.

Key of all - keep working hard and be diligent.

2 Likes

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Waist: 3:16pm On Aug 02, 2023
[quote author=xammax post=124818532]Hi guys,

Advise[b]…..
chairman please don't be angry i have some accounting work for you, please here is my number one-seven-one-three-9-five-4-0-four-two-five, please i need input immediately. thank you.
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by zed7: 3:17pm On Aug 02, 2023
Sometimes, the thing we hate becomes our joy. Be patient, tax could eventually be a thing of joy. Many have made a killing being a tax expert.

1 Like

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by SayNo2SmallPrik: 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2023
bennybuhari:
When are they fixing our refineries and when will Dangote refinery begin operation?
Buhari na your last name. Ask Your forefather
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by gabicon: 4:52pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:
Hi guys,

Advise…..

The word is Discipline, which is the act of getting things done irrespective of how we feel.That should be your coping mechanism.
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Labdi69: 4:59pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:
Hi guys,

Advise…..

1. Make sure you learn all you can in that tax or one day you would look back and regret.

2. In many of the big 4, the audit guys prepare deferred tax and it would be a plus for you if you know it well.

3. One day you would look back and be thankful you did tax because it would make you more versatile. The computation, formatting and advisory skills you would learn would remain with you for life. You cant get those in audit.

4. Speak to your HR, speak to a partner in audit. They are looking for people.

5. Apply to other big 4 by connecting with their HR on linkedin or folks in audit who can help you submit your cv internally. They are always happy to receive someone from another big 4 as against someone without big 4 experience.

Enjoy the ride in tax while it lasts. You need the knowledge regardless of where u end up. You would hardly find any finance role where an element of knowledge of tax is not required

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by SamSara01: 5:22pm On Aug 02, 2023
Be honest with yourself, you only want audit because audit gives you the opportunity of getting roles abroad, which tax doesn't. If you've spent less than a year, just apply to audit in other Big 4 firms.

3 Likes

Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Sweetvie: 6:05pm On Aug 02, 2023
Mindlog:

Sometimes what you had passion for, fades and your heart yearns for something else. I studied accountancy, loved it at that time until I began to feel detached, went back to school to study something else.
Same here smiley
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by SimpleGuy001: 8:52pm On Aug 02, 2023
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by xammax(m): 8:55pm On Aug 02, 2023
Labdi69:

Lol i was in this exact dilemma. Will be back to advise you

Still waiting sir🤲
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by xammax(m): 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2023
ednut1:
But there is nothing enjoyable in audit hahaha. I worked in a big 4 before as an auditor too. I wished i was in tax.

Why if I May ask 🤲
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by xammax(m): 8:59pm On Aug 02, 2023
Mountbatten:

Speak to your partner and let them know your concerns, as it's probably still early or close to the end of the FY depending on your firm.

Should they not listen, apply to another Big 4 (referral is much better) and move on.

Any idea if you know how I can get a referral?
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by xammax(m): 9:00pm On Aug 02, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

Chartered yet?

Final level, a paper left. Early 20s plus a very good grade in a management course.
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Labdi69: 9:04pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:

Still waiting sir🤲

Replied already check my posts
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by xammax(m): 9:06pm On Aug 02, 2023
SamSara01:
Be honest with yourself, you only want audit because audit gives you the opportunity of getting roles abroad, which tax doesn't. If you've spent less than a year, just apply to audit in other Big 4 firms.

Tax does too I just think based on career goals, audit is better suited for me. Like if I want to become a CFO of a bank now or a FMCG firm. Someone from audit stands a better chance.

So it is not about moving abroad.
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by ednut1(m): 9:13pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:

Why if I May ask 🤲
long hours of stress work. If you are in financial services you wont go home during busy season. You will still be depressed. But if you are doing it for future prospects its good
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by xammax(m): 9:36pm On Aug 02, 2023
ednut1:
long hours of stress work. If you are in financial services you wont go home during busy season. You will still be depressed. But if you are doing it for future prospects its good

I’m for the prospects. It’s easier to become a ceo/cfo with audit.

If I stay in tax then na to move abroad. Not everyone is cut out for partnership sha.
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by xammax(m): 9:41pm On Aug 02, 2023
[quote author=Waist post=124831766][/quote]

Which work is that?
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by xammax(m): 9:41pm On Aug 02, 2023
Labdi69:

Replied already check my posts

Oh thanks seen
Re: Career Crisis - What Do I Do by Mountbatten: 10:40pm On Aug 02, 2023
xammax:

Any idea if you know how I can get a referral?
By networking with peers in other firms. You could start with LinkedIn, as I'm certain most will be willing to refer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / FGN-ALAT Digital Skillnovation Training Starts Today: Share Your Challenge Here / Why Nigerian Youths Need To Make The Transition From Graduate To Apprentice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.