Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers (7291 Views)

FG To Recall Sacked 2000 Varsity Staff School Workers / La Casera Reinstates 700 Sacked Workers / Lacasera Yet To Recall 700 Dismissed Workers In Spite Of Court’s Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by Ihengote: 10:32pm On Oct 11, 2011
@ekt_bear

U are the most stupid person i have ever seen, going by your comment

So is not illegal to fire your workers by text messages,

Be careful,
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by omosexy1: 10:40pm On Oct 11, 2011
Nokia is firing about 3500 workers and the Finish (sp?) government isn't interfering http://www.businessinsider.com/nokia-layoffs-2011-9

From what I read I didn't see where the 3000 workers were going to be replaced by foreigners. Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't that sound a bit odd, aren't local staff more cheaper than foreigners?

Nokia was having issues and they had to downsize. I am yet to see a company who is making profit and downsizing at the same time. GED has promised to increase foreign direct investment in order to increase job opportunities and not create unemployment issues for us. Sincerely these guys are reaping us off. Check out MTN 10 years ago and now, that is why they can afford to be shouting thank you Nigeria. it is only in Nigeria that Indian companies post losses for 30 years only because they don't want to pay company tax yet they are still in operations. Our labour laws needs to clarify things for these capital flight operators.
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by ebere1712: 2:44am On Oct 12, 2011
aanumama:

The NLC should have closed down airtel cos  that is when they will know the gravity of what they've done.
Useless people and for all of you supporting them i wish you all are in those workers shoes to know how they feel.

Best comment so far. How can someone come to your country and buy some business; sack all the employees and outsource the jobs to India, but still expect you to buy their products and clap for them. Those who are clamoring for foreign investors, if this is the only kind of foreign investor in the world; please tell them to come and invest in your house and not in Nigeria. I mean what is in it for us. The whole reason why people want foreign investors is so that they can help create jobs. If they come to outsource the jobs, we dont need them. They should stay in their countries and do that kind of business. They should have been sent packing. We don't need them.

1 Like

Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by Akainzo(m): 8:52am On Oct 12, 2011
psalmizt:

I think the above comment is completely uncalled for. Are you now saying that a country cannot look out for its citizens anymore all because of some investment opportunities? Where in the world does a company sack 3000 workers and the govt turns a blind eye? let alone that the sacked employees are to be replaced by foreigners,

Investors are invited to come into the country but not at the detriment of the citizens, They are to create jobs and not take out the jobs that rarely exist, In addition, have heard about the treatment indians meet out to Nigerians? It is not something to be proud of at all, Lets give the govt thumbs up for this action,

And where in the world were you or NLC when InterContinental bank sacked close to 5000 staff in 2010, or when UBA sacked 1500 in 2011 or when Oceanic Bank sacked 1000 in 2010?
Where was NLC? Were those banks picketed?

By the way, what is NLC or the FG doing about the planned sack of non-natives working in the Abia state public service? Are those to be sacked not Nigerians?
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by goldng: 9:18am On Oct 12, 2011
I'm glad they were called back, Imagine the smiles in the faces of 3,000 Persons. But they should be fully prepared in the event that ,
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 12, 2011
Akainzo:

And where in the world were you or NLC when InterContinental bank sacked close to 5000 staff in 2010, or when UBA sacked 1500 in 2011 or when Oceanic Bank sacked 1000 in 2010?

By the way, what is NLC or the FG doing about the planned sack of non-natives working in the Abia state public service? Are those to be sacked not Nigerians?

those weren't by the nefarious curry eating koras na

or maybe airtel hasn't learnt how to play the brown envelope game

who ever knew there was a union of 'telecoms and postal workers'?
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by yusfaith78(m): 10:54am On Oct 12, 2011
Some peolpe are totally senseless. We are talking about how cruel what Airtel did and what our government did to protect her citizens but some stupid people thinks it's better to have some kind of useless investors than protecting the interest of their fellow nigerians. Any investors that cannot afford to employ nigerians as their workers should stay in their respective country.
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by BabaO2: 11:44am On Oct 12, 2011

i find it so difficult to understand your points. You were corroborating your points why airtel should sack Nigerians with the sack  in non viable banks. Did those banks replace the sacked staff ?, the answer is NO, because they dont have the financial capability.
Why did you think it is necessary for NLC to fight Abia govt, since employers are always right in your perspective to fire who  is not from their tribe or country
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by DeepSoul(f): 12:36pm On Oct 12, 2011
Akainzo:

Intercontinental, UBA and Oceanic bank sacked their staff because they were no longer financially capable to keep paying them. A company has a right to downsize if it has financial difficulties.

AIRTEL had a profit of $17bn!!! And not only did they intend to sack 3,000 Nigerians, they were planning to REPLACE THEM WITH INDIANS (who supposedly earn $200 per month!)

How does an ADULT survive with $200 in ABUJA?? HOW??
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by atasteve: 1:11pm On Oct 12, 2011
ITbomb:

even if they are to be sack, it should follow due process, they should be given enough notice, why they are being sack and severance benefit, not just walking into your office and receive a sack letter

I agree with you completely and they should have considered the peculiarity of Nigeria business environment.
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by kayswag100(m): 2:10am On Oct 13, 2011
See this scenario:
i got the airtel job march 2011 and barely 7months after, there was the shocking 'Indian' news of a 60% paycut. Few days later, I learnt d call centre had been shut by d indians themselves; synonymous to a sacking of all staff.

For d about-two-weeks d issue lasted, i rarely could sleep. Hw could i b thrown back into d labour market after working so hard to get d job and keep d job?
Thru God, we triumphed! God really used d NLC and also softened d INDIAN hearts. As d bible says, 'd hearts of kings are in God's hands'

this is just a wake up call to start something as well. I may just buy a cab and give a driver for daily delivery. I hv calculated and that wld double my earnings!!!

Thank u Jesus!!

1 Like

Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by estatemark(m): 6:21am On Oct 13, 2011
Kudos to NLC
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 13, 2011
where those that leave us? That the mgt of a company has no right to fire and hire or restrategise on their busines without the interference of the government?
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by Edzy: 4:03pm On Oct 13, 2011
Thank God,we still have people that believe this is inhumane,with all the risk and hazards this guys are expose to for 75k some people still think airtel have the right to reduce salary by 60%.Some of us are just after winning through legal means not looking at the moral implication/how it will affect people negatively.
For those supporting Airtel,please find time to know the risks(e.g Acoutic disorder) nd hazards this guys go through for 75k.
Re: Airtel Agrees To Recall 3,000 Sacked Workers by tplamp26: 9:18am On Oct 15, 2011
them no get choice.they are condemed to work in nigeria .this is where 60 % of the profits oustside india come from.so work resume.they must work by the rule simple.case clsosed. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kickstart Ur Freelancing Career, Get Ur Rejected Or New Upwork Account Approved! / Is The Government Responsible For Unemployment Or Is It You? / Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.