Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,394 members, 7,812,159 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK (1702 Views)

England Women Team Win Euro 2022 / England Women Make History With Incredible 20-0 Win Over Latvia / Real Madrid Outplayed And Stunned By La Liga Newbie Girona (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by nairavsdollars(f): 1:08pm On Aug 07, 2023
Outplayed, outclassed but somehow, somehow, not out. Lauren James’s sending-off in the 85th minute for a stamp on Michelle Alozie was symptomatic of a frustrated England, who scraped past a tactically superior and better organised Nigeria on penalties to progress to the World Cup quarter-finals.

Randy Waldrum’s Nigeria side, ranked 40th in the world, 36 places below their opponents, looked as if they would claim the latest big scalp and knock the European champions out of the World Cup after the eliminations of Brazil, Canada, Germany and the USA.
However, after Georgia Stanway’s missed penalty in the shootout, England scored four as Nigeria floundered, missing their first two spot-kicks to allow the substitute Chloe Kelly to fire in the winner again.

Mouths were agape on the announcement of England’s starting lineup, the return of Keira Walsh looking miraculous 10 days after she left the pitch on a stretcher in agony.

Walsh’s World Cup obituaries were written; she was England’s most valuable player, irreplaceable. Despite confirmation that she had not sustained an anterior cruciate ligament injury, hopes of a World Cup return were low.
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/07/england-nigeria-womens-world-cup-match-report-lauren-james-red-card

1 Like

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by slivertongue: 1:18pm On Aug 07, 2023
Very true. Luck ran out on Nigeria.
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Marineson(m): 1:22pm On Aug 07, 2023
The truth is that Nigeria had already cursed otherwise l see no reason not to win that match.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by BossGerald: 1:22pm On Aug 07, 2023
Nigeria women team really played well...na luck England get.

Congratulations girls
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Bulldozer90: 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2023
The string of badluck that has struck the Nigerian jersey over the past 6 years has continued. No way falcons shouldn't have won the game.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by GoodRocks: 1:26pm On Aug 07, 2023
Damn!

These women are by far better than those werey super chickens abi super eagles
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Mjshexy(f): 1:30pm On Aug 07, 2023
Our girls were better, penalty is just a game of luck

4 Likes

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Benki003(m): 1:41pm On Aug 07, 2023
I was just imagining a black country winning england 😂😂
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Benki003(m): 1:43pm On Aug 07, 2023
BossGerald:
Nigeria women team really played well...na luck England get.

Congratulations girls

Played which well in there group stage game how many games did they win and how many did England win
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by inoki247: 1:43pm On Aug 07, 2023
Why them go even put the Match for Monday morning wey person just dey serious with him life....

1 Like

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by SpatialKing(m): 2:22pm On Aug 07, 2023
So?
Does it matter
The fact still remains they are still in the tournament
Last last na who win we go remember

Nigeria ladies go explain tire
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Osariemen12: 2:23pm On Aug 07, 2023
A nation led by a criminal drug lord will always have no luck on her side. I knew Falcons were homebound when a woman who had sex routinely with a drug lord openly supported them. Better days ahead, dearest Falcons. Not under this criminal though drug baron though.
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by drlateef: 2:28pm On Aug 07, 2023
Osariemen12:
A nation led by a criminal drug lord will always have no luck on her side. I knew Falcons were homebound when a woman who had sex routinely with a drug lord openly supported them. Better days ahead, dearest Falcons. Not under this criminal though drug baron though.

When will this wailing stop Your sisters are not wailing while playing their hearts out. But you dey there dey wail like ogbanje. Dem take wailing swear for you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Osariemen12: 2:53pm On Aug 07, 2023
Asked Lateef, the slowpoke that voted a drug baron to rule him.

drlateef:

When will this moaning stop My sisters were not moaning while f*cking their clits out. But I dey here dey moan like ogbanje. Dem take moan swear for you?
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Racoon(m): 2:58pm On Aug 07, 2023
Bravo Falcon Girls! Even the English press acknowledged your prowess even in the unfortunate loss. We celebrate you ladies.

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by aremubabs: 3:16pm On Aug 07, 2023
Osariemen12:

The D'Tigress recently won the AfroBasket Championship under the same so-called drug lord.

So shut up, and stop politicizing everything.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by aremubabs: 3:17pm On Aug 07, 2023
The English team was outclassed and outplayed, and left clutching for dear life. Penalties saved them.
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Osariemen12: 3:20pm On Aug 07, 2023
aremubabs:

The D'Tigress recently won the AfroBasket Championship under the same so-called drug lord.

So shut up, and stop politicizing everything.

Did Tinubu or Remi watch them. They won because the evil didn't cheer them. May God Tinubulate your life.
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by aremubabs: 3:22pm On Aug 07, 2023
Osariemen12:

Did Tinubu or Remi watch them. They won because the evil didn't cheer them. May God Tinubulate your life.

There is nothing like Tinubulate. Stop, jabbering.

The election has been won and lost. Move on.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by kingthreat(m): 4:23pm On Aug 07, 2023
For a team to maintain their cool with one man down, I will give it to the Lionesses of England. They were a better team.
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by adioolayi(m): 4:26pm On Aug 07, 2023
I love the way Guardian UK put am....e no curry anything
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by slam7000(m): 4:48pm On Aug 07, 2023
Benki003:

Played which well in there group stage game how many games did they win and how many did England win

Nigeria Falcons played well. This is one of their best matches ever. The 3-3 draw against Sweden is another one.

Technically and tactically, Nigerian women performed well. They defended well, Ohale and Demehin were super in defence, apart from the mistake from Demehin that nearly cost them, both women stood like rocks. Alozie and Plumptre were class on the flanks. Plumptre in my opinion was the best player and woman of the match in that game. She worked tirelessly, joined the attack, hit the bar and had another shot at England’s goal. She was just unlucky. Alozie has her chance as well but fluffed it due to fatigue.
Ayinde kept Lauren James quiet and that frustrated James resulting in her foul on Alozie.

Congrats to the Falcons

1 Like 1 Share

Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by IamANigerianMan: 5:22pm On Aug 07, 2023
Marineson:
The truth is that Nigeria had already cursed otherwise l see no reason not to win that match.
Very truth , England were played half field, when it entered penalty I knew out girls cannot win.
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by BossGerald: 5:47pm On Aug 07, 2023
Benki003:

Boss easy

Did you see me in the television play for them? E fimi le joor
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Zxcvbnmghtr: 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2023
Benki003:
I was just imagining a black country winning england 😂😂

It is a good IMAGINATION. I was imagining same. cheesy
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:13pm On Aug 07, 2023
you can be the best team on the pitch, but unless you actually WIN before the penalty shootout, you are no good. by the time a football match gets to the penalties, then BOTH TEAM were not good enough to win the match...thus a penalty shootout (aka luck) would determine the winner.
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by DodadaKoKigbe: 11:32pm On Aug 07, 2023
Osariemen12:

Is the Oba of Bini still impotent and commanding his young guards to father his children?
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Osariemen12: 8:07am On Aug 08, 2023
DodadaKoKigbe:

Is the Oluwo of Iwo still impotent and commanding his young guards to father his children?

Yes, he is.
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by DodadaKoKigbe: 3:22pm On Aug 08, 2023
Osariemen12:
Yes, he is.

So, you're telling me the Oba of Bini is still impotent and commanding his young guards to father his children?

Wow!
Re: England Women Were Outplayed, Outclassed But Managed To Qualify - Guardian UK by Osariemen12: 8:19pm On Aug 08, 2023
DodadaKoKigbe:

So, you're telling me the Oba of Ogbomosho and his bale are still impotent and commanding their young guards to father their children?

Wow!

Absolutely correct.

(1) (Reply)

Watch Arsenal's Form From Now On After That Win Over Man Utd / Who Are Your Best Five African Footballers Ever? / African Players Playing For Different European Teams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.