Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

"Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans (19406 Views)

Investors Funds Won’t Be Trapped - Tinubu Promises / Festus Okoye: I Don't Understand Reliance On IReV when the parties had agents / Tinubu Vows To Sue Media Orgs Over Fake News, Character Assassination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Racoon(m): 3:20pm On Aug 08, 2023
President Bola Tinubu has vowed to end Nigeria’s over-reliance on borrowing to finance public spending.

He spoke on Tuesday at the inauguration of the presidential committee on fiscal policy and tax reforms.

The committee, set up on July 7, 2023, is chaired by Taiwo Oyedele, a tax and fiscal policy expert. The committee, which comprises experts from both the private and public sectors, is responsible for the various aspects of tax law reform, fiscal policy design and coordination, harmonisation of taxes, and revenue administration.

Speaking at the event, the president said the committee is in line with his promise to remove all barriers impeding business growth in Nigeria.

The consequences of the ongoing failure of our tax regime are real and significant. The inability of the government to efficiently raise revenue has led directly to an overreliance on borrowing to finance public spending,” Tinubu said.

A government that cannot properly fund itself will also lack the flexibility or fiscal scope to sensibly manage the economy or respond to external shocks.

Instead, debt service begins to consume an ever greater portion of the government’s already meagre revenues. “This traps the economy in a vicious cycle of borrowing simply to service previous debt and leaves almost no scope for socio-economic development.

“As President, I am determined to end this cycle. On the day of my inauguration, I promised that my administration would address all of the issues impeding investment and economic growth in Nigeria. This promise is why I saw an end to the fuel subsidy. It is the reason the Central Bank has called an end to its multiple exchange rate system under my watch.

“It is for the same reason we gather here today to inaugurate the Presidential Committee on Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms.”

On his part, Zacchaeus Adedeji, special adviser to the president on revenue, said the inauguration of the committee would give it the opportunity to further engage with various stakeholders to identify their pains and critical concerns bothering on tax and fiscal policies, as well as collectively develop the solutions necessary to address the challenges in a holistic manner.

Also speaking at the event, Oyedele said that those who evade tax get away with little or no consequences, adding that there needs to be a change. He said Nigerians are willing to pay tax if they see what it translates to.

https://www.thecable.ng/our-economy-is-trapped-tinubu-vows-to-end-nigerias-over-reliance-on-loans/amp

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by 001Lagos: 3:20pm On Aug 08, 2023
The economy is trapped and you want to use the money realised from subsidy removal to fund senseless and most stupid war

Are you not mad?

209 Likes 31 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Racoon(m): 3:21pm On Aug 08, 2023
Imagine the king of impulsive babiallah loan seekings and endless borrowings giving advice.

92 Likes 14 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 08, 2023
oleeeeee tongue

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Racoon(m): 3:24pm On Aug 08, 2023
“The consequences of the ongoing failure of our tax regime are real and significant. The inability of the government to efficiently raise revenue has led directly to an overreliance on borrowing to finance public spending,” Tinubu said.

“A government that cannot properly fund itself will also lack the flexibility or fiscal scope to sensibly manage the economy or respond to external shocks.

Instead, debt service begins to consume an ever greater portion of the government’s already meagre revenues. “This traps the economy in a vicious cycle of borrowing simply to service previous debt and leaves almost no scope for socio-economic development.
Forget all these silly reasons for the irresistible impulsive urge to go borrowing for every economic challenge. This is simply due to lack of economic foresight, feasible economic blueprints to rejig the economy, lack of formidable economic think tank, inordinate urge to increase the cost of governance even in the face of global economic meltdown and financial exigencies.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Sharpsharp00123: 3:24pm On Aug 08, 2023
001Lagos:
The economy is trapped and you want to use the money realised from subsidy removal to fund senseless and most stupid war

Are you not mad?
chinedu

Rest in Jesus name

61 Likes 9 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Curse777: 3:30pm On Aug 08, 2023
cool

Let's see his plans

Fingers crossed

96 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by EyeCumInPiece: 3:31pm On Aug 08, 2023
Any Ebola vow, apart from vowing to reduce hardship & make life more bearable for the average Nigerian, is nonsense.

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Ogene001: 3:34pm On Aug 08, 2023
Ebola disaster

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by CodeTemplar: 3:58pm On Aug 08, 2023
Racoon:
Forget all these silly reasons for the irresistible impulsive urge to go borrowing for every economic challenge. This is simply due to lack of economic foresight, feasible economic blueprints to rejig the economy, inordinate urge to increase the cost of governance even in the face of global economic meltdown and financial exigencies.
Thank you.

He talks about failure to get revenue from tax internally being responsible for borrowing but forgot he and his protégées generated record tax revenue in Lagos and still borrowed gigantically, even to the point of enslaving unborn Lagosians to the burden of repayment for inflated projects.
Uncle yekini is severely confused by his inner urge to start another Lagos-style spree in Abuja.

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by DeltaOil: 4:03pm On Aug 08, 2023
Tinubu has only increased hardship & tax burden on us.
My vexation is that its the money generated from my region that the ebola druglord is squandering on frivolous things like war.

I hope the igbos find a way to free us from this bondage called Nigeria. angry
001Lagos:
Are you not mad?
Wetin una expect from a man with no confirm-able source of income?

36 Likes 10 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by CodeTemplar: 4:06pm On Aug 08, 2023
“The consequences of the ongoing failure of our tax regime are real and significant. The inability of the government to efficiently raise revenue has led directly to an overreliance on borrowing to finance public spending,” Tinubu said.

“A government that cannot properly fund itself will also lack the flexibility or fiscal scope to sensibly manage the economy or respond to external shocks.

This double mouthed elder supervised unprecedented borrowing in Lagos after equally generating an unprecedented level of revenue via tax internally so what nonsense is he trying to sell us? Like our attention span is so short we do not know how generation unborn have been programmed to repay loans taken to execute questionable and inflated projects in Lagos where he governed.

I wonder how a government that cannot manage its funds will use aggressive taxation to overcome leakages.

It is like daring the corrupt folks around him to out-loot what he will generate via taxation. He is saying implicitly, "look, I will generate more money than you can ever mismanage" so he leaves corruption to thrive and tax the masses.

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by orisa37: 4:11pm On Aug 08, 2023
Two or more CURRENCIES SHOULD NOT CIRCULATE PARI PASU IN ANY ECONOMY. THE BAD ONE WILL CHASE THE GOOD OUT OF CIRCULATION. BASIC ECONOMIC PRINCIPLES. ALL EXCHANGES MUST GO THROUGH CBN AND THEIR ACCREDITED AGENTS IN BANKS, AIRPORTS, BUREAU DE CHANGE, HOTELS, ABOKIS ETCETERA ETCETERA. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ALLOCATIONS TO THE STATES SHOULD ALWAYS BE IN NAIRA. REGULATE TRAVELLING ALLOWANCES AND ESTACODES BY TRAVELERS CHEQUES AND CBN'S DENOMINATED RATES.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by BoldBrainz(m): 4:13pm On Aug 08, 2023
001Lagos:

Are you not mad?

Borrow me the second stone make I follow stone am for those big eyes ! Man is unapologetically senseless.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by BoldBrainz(m): 4:14pm On Aug 08, 2023
orisa37:
Two or more CURRENCIES SHOULD NOT CIRCULATE PARI PASU IN ANY ECONOMY. THE BAD ONE WILL CHASE THE GOOD OUT OF CIRCULATION. BASIC ECONOMIC PRINCIPLES. ALL EXCHANGES MUST GO THROUGH CBN AND THEIR ACCREDITED AGENTS IN BANKS, AIRPORTS, BUREAU DE CHANGE, HOTELS, ABOKIS ETCETERA ETCETERA. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ALLOCATIONS TO THE STATES SHOULD ALWAYS BE IN NAIRA. REGULATE TRAVELLING ALLOWANCES AND ESTACODES BY TRAVELERS CHEQUES AND CBN'S DENOMINATED RATES.

I don't know who you are, but God bless you for that first sentence that began your write-up. That's literally what we've been screaming about since this deranged clown assumed office.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by orisa37: 4:28pm On Aug 08, 2023
BoldBrainz:

I don't know who you are, but God bless you for that first sentence that began your write-up. That's literally what we've been screaming about since this deranged clown assumed office.

FROM ORUNTO27
PLEASE MIND YOUR LANGUAGE.

2 Likes

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by wwwtortoise(m): 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2023
cool

This man deserves an award for this amazing discovery after more than 4months in Aso rock.
I understand this is a gentle notice to the general public on the massive taxation to come. That’s his specialty area.
I see VAT, PITA, CIT, Education Tax, Property Tax being reviewed upwards.

Being born in Nigeria kind of assures me that I’ll make heaven. God is not that unjust to let his people suffer twice.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by DMerciful(m): 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2023
When is the presidential election petition tribunal delivering judgement? Time for Amoda Sangodele to go!

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Typosiba: 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2023

1 Like

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by raskymonojendor: 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2023
cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2023
Nigeria will be great in our lifetime,
Whether the evil ones like it or not.

God bless all sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians.

God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬

98 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by opalu: 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2023
Ok
Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by atobs4real(m): 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2023
It will be better if you do it as sakd
Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by atobs4real(m): 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2023
It will be better if you do it as said
Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by valentineuwakwe(m): 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2023
Oga Abeg leave talk and get Into action...we are tired of " you vowed, you will, ......

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by seunlayi(m): 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2023
Better
Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by seguno2: 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2023
Racoon:
https://www.thecable.ng/our-economy-is-trapped-tinubu-vows-to-end-nigerias-over-reliance-on-loans/amp

grin shocked

This scammer, 419er and drug baron won’t fail to amaze us with his fake stories.
How did he end Lagos state’s over reliance on loans, despite increasing IGR burden on the poor masses during high oil prices?

Anyway, sufferhead BATists will hail him for any senseless nonsense that he says, even when they are hungry for agbado.

Domestic debt: Lagos borrows over N126bn in three months, DMO releases other States’ figures

The Lagos State Government has borrowed over N126 billion domestically in the last quarter of 2021, the Debt Management Office (DMO) has said.

According to a report released by the DMO, Lagos, whose domestic debt stood at N532.12 billion as of September 30, 2021, is now owing N658.95 billion as at the end of December, 2021.

This represents an increase of N126.83 billion in the last three months of the year 2021, according to the DMO.

DAILY POST observed that Lagos is the State with the highest domestic debt figure as of the time under review.

Ogun State comes second with a total of N232.62 billion debt as of December.

Ogun’s debt profile rose from N192.41 billion to N232.62 within three months, making a debt increase of N40 billion.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/03/21/domestic-debt-lagos-borrows-over-n126bn-in-three-months-dmo-releases-other-states-figures/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2023
This man is just an old clueless man with terrible criminal records. With the weight of corruption and crime on his shoulders, he can't do anything meaningful for a country like Nigeria. Only tribal bigots and stipend collectors defend him online.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Our Economy Is Trapped" - Tinubu Vows To End Nigeria’s Over-reliance On Loans by Unperturbedpota: 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2023
grin

This man self. I wish I could believe him but when I look at the criminals like orji uzo kalu , gandollar , akpabio etc around him I just can't see him as a good person.

What is that my ugl freidns name again? 🤔
Now I remember...Sharpsharp00123 .

Oya ugly boy Sharpsharp00123 come and tell me your perspective 🤣🤣🤣🤣

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We’ll Deliver 10,000 MW Target - Fashola / Buhari Breaks Fast With Traditional Rulers In Aso Rock (Photos) / Onnoghen: Tribunal Adjourned To January 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.