Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,097 members, 7,953,343 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:40 PM

Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? (10808 Views)

Poll: Will a forensic association be effective in Nigeria of today?

Yes: 50% (10 votes)
No: 50% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Computer Forensics In Nigeria / Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math / Computer Forensics Technology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 1:20am On Oct 15, 2011
@despam:
like how much and how long is the CFIN course?
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by despam(m): 6:01am On Oct 15, 2011
yamakuza:

@despam:
like how much and how long is the CFIN course?

I attended a one week bootcamp for N150,000 last year October. Am sure the price must have increased by today. It was very  interesting. I learnt a lot.

Forensic training is expensive. I wanted to do further training with Infosec Institute in the US but didn't go because am changing profession in the next few months. The school offers training on major forensic software like Encase, AccessData, Paraben, X-Ways etc. There are other good schools too.

All the best.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 11:59am On Oct 15, 2011
^ thanks for the info!

Was gonna ask if that earned you the Certified Computer Forensic Examiner (CCFE) title, but i'll skip that question.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by quest55(m): 8:34pm On Oct 15, 2011
A senator i met said the CFIN certificate is useless and that the institute is a one man show belonging to a man and his mistress
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by despam(m): 9:00pm On Oct 15, 2011
yamakuza:

^ thanks for the info!

Was gonna ask if that earned you the Certified Computer Forensic Examiner (CCFE) title, but i'll skip that question.

I am not a CCFE yet. I stopped pursuing forensic certifications because am changing profession in the next few months. So am focusing on the new profession for the time being.

The course was more like an introduction into the world of Computer Forensics. I will tell you it was worth it. We had guys from ECOWAS, Interpol, Mininistry of Finance, etc for the training.

By the time Computer Forensics is fully recognized in Nigeria, you will practice forensics under a body. The Computer Forensics Institute, Nigeria (CFIN) is that body. I am a Member as a result of the training I attended.  It is good you associate with CFIN before going for CCFE, CDRP, CEH etc.

quest55:

A senator i met said the CFIN certificate is useless and that the institute is a one man show belonging to a man and his mistress

Since the enabling law for the practice of computer forensics (digital evidence act) has not been passed, the CFIN certificate seems to be useless because you can't use it anywhere but no knowledge is useless.

The institute is a one man show because the man is the only person really fighting for the recognition of computer forensics in Nigeria. For now, CFIN is more like his baby. He is the one mid-wiving it. By the time the enabling laws have been passed, I am sure it will ceased to be a one man show because by that time a lot of people will join the bandwagon. So the earlier you start, the better.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 9:03pm On Oct 15, 2011
quest55:

And what did he recommend?

No be dem approve am?

Was theirs the advert you saw for 200k?
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 9:24pm On Oct 15, 2011
@despam:
thanks for the clarifications.

Seems the Digital Evidence Act has been approved:

www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/tech/telecoms/25087-new-evidence-act-paves-way-for-electronic-evidence-in-courts

@quest55:
what is your quest?

Local training?
Setting up a similar body?
Foreign training possibly?
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by despam(m): 9:43pm On Oct 15, 2011
yamakuza:

@despam:
thanks for the clarifications.

Seems the Digital Evidence Act has been approved:

www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/tech/telecoms/25087-new-evidence-act-paves-way-for-electronic-evidence-in-courts

Thanks for the information. I have not been following up to know when it was passed because am presently living outside Nigeria. That is good news and a big leap for digital evidence in Nigeria.

I sincerely will advice you to do the initial training with CFIN and become a Member if you can afford it. Don't be bothered about CFIN being a one-man show or not as long as you achieve what you want.

Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. All the best!!!
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2011
despam:

Thanks for the information. I have not been following up to know when it was passed because am presently living outside Nigeria. That is good news and a big leap for digital evidence in Nigeria.

I sincerely will advice you to do the initial training with CFIN and become a Member if you can afford it. Don't be bothered about CFIN being a one-man show or not as long as you achieve what you want.

Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. All the best!!!

The news article is dated July 2011 and theres still time yet before the baby matures, so you are very much on point!
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by quest55(m): 2:41am On Oct 16, 2011
despam:

it looks like the CFIN website itself has been hacked (www.cfin.org) does this mean something? One can not verify cfin like cpn or ncs. Many so called registered bodies just collect training fees and kick your ass. Finally, what has the CFIN training or certificate achieved? Do they use dedicated resource persons or impatient facilitators? Does anyone know?
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 2:57am On Oct 16, 2011
quest55:

it looks like the CFIN website itself has been hacked (www.cfin.org) does this mean something? One can not verify cfin like cpn or ncs. Many so called registered bodies just collect training fees and kick your Bottom. Finally, what has the CFIN training or certificate achieved? Do they use dedicated resource persons or impatient facilitators? Does anyone know?

http://dcfaonline.org/

http://www.nigeriadigitalcomputerforensics.com/
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by quest55(m): 3:50am On Oct 16, 2011
Thnks. But none of my worries were addressed on those websites and a responsible institute (charging 150k) could engage an intelligent web planner and have a decent website. Would it not be more beneficial to spend that amount of money on a foreign recognized body and get employed and much later join the party of CFIN? Also, who is DCFA?
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by quest55(m): 3:54am On Oct 16, 2011
Is this another crystal service en route to manitoba?
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by justwise(m): 11:01am On Oct 16, 2011
quest55:

Thnks. But none of my worries were addressed on those websites and a responsible institute (charging 150k) could engage an intelligent web planner and have a decent website. Would it not be more beneficial to spend that amount of money on a foreign recognized body and get employed and much later join the party of CFIN? Also, who is DCFA?

I have to agree with you, those websites doesn't look anything decent and i wouldn't pay N150k to an organisation like that.
Agencies like EFCC ,SSS or NIA should have a dedicated Forensic department where they will have the licence to use tools like ENCASE, FTK and other commercial Forensic tools.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by quest55(m): 2:05pm On Oct 17, 2011
Meawhile d man/woman invite efcc, sss to come and be members of his institute and i cant locate their lagos office being advertised on that suspicious website, only courses and bank ac to pay. And then is like the man/woman made that post talking about kaduna training.i ave bn flwing forensic opportunities in this countri and ave not read any institute doing training on computer forensic- can some1 please prove me a lair?
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 2:38pm On Oct 17, 2011
quest55:
And then is like the man/woman made that post talking about kaduna training.

This is uncalled for.

You need to mind your language.

Nobody works for you here. Even if they did sef nko?
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by despam(m): 3:27pm On Oct 17, 2011
quest55:

Meawhile d man/woman invite efcc, sss to come and be members of his institute and i cant locate their lagos office being advertised on that suspicious website, only courses and bank ac to pay. And then is like the man/woman made that post talking about kaduna training.i ave bn flwing forensic opportunities in this countri and ave not read any institute doing training on computer forensic- can some1 please prove me a lair?

Never jump into conclusion when you have not exhausted your options. Their office address is on their website if you click on Contact. Am happy you said the man has invited EFCC & SSS to join the Institute. That will add more credibility to it and maybe end his one-man show business according to you.

The man has nothing to do with these posts. Am only trying to help. If you feel, am lying by claiming I attended some training in Kaduna when there was none then too bad. You came here looking for information and you end up insulting my person for trying to help. Thank you.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by quest55(m): 12:54pm On Oct 18, 2011
despam:

Never jump into conclusion when you have not exhausted your options. Their office address is on their website if you click on Contact. Am happy you said the man has invited EFCC & SSS to join the Institute. That will add more credibility to it and maybe end his one-man show business according to you.

The man has nothing to do with these posts. Am only trying to help. If you feel, am lying by claiming I attended some training in Kaduna when there was none then too bad. You came here looking for information and you end up insulting my person for trying to help. Thank you.
defntly no insult traded.on dis forum genuine things with phoney intentiöns are mercilessly exposed. Am a retiree from service and many of us has been deceived and defrauded.chikena.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by despam(m): 1:41pm On Oct 18, 2011
despam:

Like I said before I am not in any way working for the man. If you feel there is something fishy somewhere then walk away from it. I am not in any way encouraging you to give the man your money. You can wait until the Institute is properly structured and managed before joining them. You will still need foreign / quality forensics training even if you do the initial training with him. I don't think the man has software license or expertise to train you on EnCase, Access, FTK etc. It depends on what you want.

There are many schools you can do your forensics training with outside the country - UK, USA, South Korea, China, Canada etc. It is up to you. Decide what you want and how you want it. All the best.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by quest55(m): 3:23pm On Oct 18, 2011
Thanks 4 d clarificatns. The idea of cforensic in Nigeria is a noble one, but one must spend wisely. I will tow the more pragmatic approach. By the way its like the company has been existing for 4years--enough time to publish names registrar, president, vice presidents, pro etc. Anyway, i appreciate.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by despam(m): 5:11pm On Oct 18, 2011
quest55:

Thanks 4 d clarificatns. The idea of cforensic in Nigeria is a noble one, but one must spend wisely. I will tow the more pragmatic approach. By the way its like the company has been existing for 4years--enough time to publish names registrar, president, vice presidents, pro etc. Anyway, i appreciate.

Some of us are not happy with the way the Institute is being run. It is the Digital Evidence Act that delayed the Institute from taking off fully, I think. But now that the Act has been passed, the Institute should be moved beyond what it is today. We are going to join hands to make it work. It is bigger than one person now.

The Institute should be properly structured by now. It supposed to be under the Ministry of Justice. Join forces and ensure that CFIN is what it should be if you are interested in the profession.

I have been invited to attend BCS ISSG - Cyber Security Conference in London next month. If I attend, I might send you Conference proceedings. I am a Member of the BCS Information System Security Group.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by justwise(m): 5:23pm On Oct 18, 2011
despam:

Some of us are not happy with the way the Institute is being run. It is the Digital Evidence Act that delayed the Institute from taking off fully, I think. But now that the Act has been passed, the Institute should be moved beyond what it is today. We are going to join hands to make it work. It is bigger than one person now.

The Institute should be properly structured by now. It supposed to be under the Ministry of Justice. Join forces and ensure that CFIN is what it should be if you are interested in the profession.

I have been invited to attend BCS ISSG - Cyber Security Conference in London next month. If I attend, I might send you Conference proceedings. I am a Member of the BCS Information System Security Group.

I'm very much interested in Forensic field and will be happy to see an institution in Nigeria having the licence to use ENCASE, FTK and other commercial tools. Nigeria need a good forensic institution more than any other African country.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by quest55(m): 10:12pm On Oct 18, 2011
It will@ least be worth its while if d institute has such licenses and recognitn. The impresn i got from d website is that of one man just collecting training money,pocketing it, and advertising 4 more people to come forward for training.the police has no routine forensic lab (only 2 ill acessible labs), the efcc forensic initiative can hardly support the needed ingriedients of litigation, so where will those who pass through d cfin training hope to gain practical exp? Also ave u noticed that d amended evidence act has not recognized evidence on digital medium-only computer generated docs?! an is like no cforensic expert position is included--
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by ilosonice: 3:23pm On Oct 29, 2011
I have an MSc in Computer Forensics and I am really looking for a forensic job in Nigeria. Any advice or help?
Thamks
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by justwise(m): 3:33pm On Oct 29, 2011
ilosonice:

I have an MSc in Computer Forensics and I am really looking for a forensic job in Nigeria. Any advice or help?
Thamks

Nigeria is still catching up with Forensics industry, MTN advertised for forensic auditor couple of months ago.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by ilosonice: 3:49pm On Oct 29, 2011
justwise:

Nigeria is still catching up with Forensics industry, MTN advertised  for forensic auditor couple of months ago. 

I think MTN advert was for financial auditor.
I am not so sure but I didnt apply then cos I didnt meet the spec.
I am a recent graduate(MSc). I finished my BSc in 2005 and worked in the bank(marketing) before going into computer forensics
Everyone wants someone with experience sad
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by justwise(m): 4:11pm On Oct 29, 2011
ilosonice:

I think MTN advert was for financial auditor.
I am not so sure but I didnt apply then cos I didnt meet the spec.
I am a recent graduate(MSc). I finished my BSc in 2005 and worked in the bank(marketing) before going into computer forensics
Everyone wants someone with experience sad

It was for Forensics cos a friend applied but was not called. The experience thing will always be a problem, i guess one has to look for entry positions just to get some experience.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2011
ilosonice:

Thamks

1. Target EFCC or other government agencies

2. Try adding CISA or CISSP to your credentials so you can apply for financial/IT auditing jobs as well

3. Try Rythex Consulting, AJ Silicon, Resourcery or similar firms.
If they dont hire you, they might be able to help you jobhunt
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by ilosonice: 5:39pm On Oct 29, 2011
yamakuza:

1. Target EFCC or other government agencies

2. Try adding CISA or CISSP to your credentials so you can apply for financial/IT auditing jobs as well

3. Try Rythex Consulting, AJ Silicon, Resourcery or similar firms.
If they dont hire you, they might be able to help you jobhunt

I missed EFCC recruitment the last time. I am not currently in Nigeria.
I have done CISSP before but I had to retake due to disturbance during the exam. The earliest convenient date for me is FEB next year.
I will check out the firms you listed.
Thanks
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 9:02pm On Oct 29, 2011
ilosonice:

I missed EFCC recruitment the last time. I am not currently in Nigeria.
I have done CISSP before but I had to retake due to disturbance during the exam. The earliest convenient date for me is FEB next year.
I will check out the firms you listed.
Thanks

CISA or any other ISACA cert might get you further than CISSP.

Another thing, since you are outside Nigeria, getting experience should be easier.

Plenty of online security jobs, especially Penetration Testing and CyberForensics.
The pay shouldnt matter at this stage na?

Hope you've googled those companies? If you package yourself very well where you are, you can even give them a run for their money.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by justwise(m): 9:21pm On Oct 29, 2011
yamakuza:

CISA or any other ISACA cert might get you further than CISSP.

Another thing, since you are outside Nigeria, getting experience should be easier.

Plenty of online security jobs, especially Penetration Testing and CyberForensics.
The pay shouldnt matter at this stage na?

Hope you've googled those companies? If you package yourself very well where you are, you can even give them a run for their money.

I Googled Rythex Consulting, i don't think they are employing, though they are giving some training in Nigeria and Ghana.
Re: Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? by yamakuza: 9:31pm On Oct 29, 2011
1. Depending on his packaging, they can employ him if he sends in unsolicited applications.

It all depends on what he has to offer. Perhaps they are teaching common CEH cos they have no one to take SANS GIAC?

2. Some of these coys headhunt or recruit for the companies they consult for.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. / Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees / Nigeria's 'Brown Envelope' Journalism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.