Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions (21382 Views)

Ali Lamine Zeine: Meet The New Prime Minister Of Niger Republic / Japan Criticize Russian Withdrawal From WW2 Peace Treaty Talks Over Sanctions / Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by FreeStuffsNG: 2:01am On Aug 11, 2023
Chinese Company Suspends Construction Of Niger Republic Kandadji Dam Project Over Economic Sanctions
August 10, 2023

China Gezhouba Group Co. LTD, a Chinese construction and engineering firm, has suspended the construction of the Niger Republic Kandadji Dam project due to financial sanctions imposed on the French-speaking country by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the European Union, and the World Bank as a result of the ongoing political unrest in the country.

The group made this known in a circular dated August 7, 2023, titled ‘Notice on the shutdown of the Kandadji Dam Project and the dismissal of workers.’

According to the statement shared on Twitter by a security analyst and a counter-insurgency expert on Lake Chad, West African region, Zagazola Makama, Chinese Gezhouba Group decided to suspend the project because of the company’s inability to settle bills incurred from the construction of the dam.

The group added that they would also terminate all the subsisting contractual agreement they have with local workers for efficient dismissal.

The statement reads: “Due to the political turbulence that occurred on July 26, 2023 in Niger, the security situation is becoming increasingly worrying. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the European Union and the World Bank have all imposed financial sanctions on the country, making it impossible for the Company to settle bills.

“Faced with this case of force majeure, we find ourselves forced to stop all construction activities for a week and to proceed with the gradual termination of the contracts of local workers. And it should be emphasised that the termination of the contract due to force majeure would not imply the compensation of the dismissed employees.

“However, we undertake to liquidate the wages due to them and to guarantee their legitimate rights. We also promise to give priority to our laid-off workers when recruiting once construction of the Kandadji Dam resumes. And regarding the termination of the contract we will need your assistance and support.”
https://saharareporters.com/2023/08/10/chinese-company-suspends-construction-niger-republic-kandadji-dam-project-over-economic

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by FreeStuffsNG: 2:01am On Aug 11, 2023
Pride of the coupists goeth before their disgrace. Now they have lule pii. Check my signature for free stuffs!

90 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Praxis758: 2:06am On Aug 11, 2023
I never knew Nigeria is this diplomatically powerful to met a biting economic sanctions on any country within the subregion.

I’m proud of Nigeria for this.

165 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Burob: 2:08am On Aug 11, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Chinese Company Suspends Construction Of Niger Republic Kandadji Dam Project Over Economic Sanctions
August 10, 2023

China Gezhouba Group Co. LTD, a Chinese construction and engineering firm, has suspended the construction of the Niger Republic Kandadji Dam project due to financial sanctions imposed on the French-speaking country by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the European Union, and the World Bank as a result of the ongoing political unrest in the country.

The group made this known in a circular dated August 7, 2023, titled ‘Notice on the shutdown of the Kandadji Dam Project and the dismissal of workers.’

According to the statement shared on Twitter by a security analyst and a counter-insurgency expert on Lake Chad, West African region, Zagazola Makama, Chinese Gezhouba Group decided to suspend the project because of the company’s inability to settle bills incurred from the construction of the dam.

The group added that they would also terminate all the subsisting contractual agreement they have with local workers for efficient dismissal.

The statement reads: “Due to the political turbulence that occurred on July 26, 2023 in Niger, the security situation is becoming increasingly worrying. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the European Union and the World Bank have all imposed financial sanctions on the country, making it impossible for the Company to settle bills.

“Faced with this case of force majeure, we find ourselves forced to stop all construction activities for a week and to proceed with the gradual termination of the contracts of local workers. And it should be emphasised that the termination of the contract due to force majeure would not imply the compensation of the dismissed employees.

“However, we undertake to liquidate the wages due to them and to guarantee their legitimate rights. We also promise to give priority to our laid-off workers when recruiting once construction of the Kandadji Dam resumes. And regarding the termination of the contract we will need your assistance and support.”

https://saharareporters.com/2023/08/10/chinese-company-suspends-construction-niger-republic-kandadji-dam-project-over-economic
Mynd44 nlfpmod
001LAGOS, kanwuliaextra, racoon, Penguin2 come a defend your coup plotters.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Burob: 2:09am On Aug 11, 2023
Praxis758:
I never knew Nigeria is this diplomatically powerful to met a biting economic sanctions on any country within the subregion.

Nigeria the night of West Africa, when I lived in The United States, was when I realized the might of Nigeria.

Na people way never travel that are obvious to the might of Nigeria.

Even on few times I visited Johannesburg, na maximum respect they have for Nigeria in South Africa.

123 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by AllenSpencer: 3:27am On Aug 11, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

The moment I saw that it is the same perennial losing mob people like you who supported and jinxed Mr Peter Obi , Mr Nnamdi Kanu, Mr Trump etc who are supporting the coupists, I knew the coupists are jinxed with bad luck of not getting their wish. Nobody or nothing you support ever end well.

Exactly!

Once those guys support anything, that thing is doomed!

Trump once said he regretted that he got support from South-East Nigeria. Even GEJ made mention of it after election defeat.

Atiku wrote in his biography that, the root cause of his political woes was getting support from the South-East.

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Napata77: 3:30am On Aug 11, 2023
Burob:
Nigeria the night of West Africa, when I lived in The United States, was when I realized the might of Nigeria.

Even on few times I visited Johannesburg, na maximum respect they have for Nigeria in South Africa.

You are very correct. When you tell someone you're Nigerian, there is immediate respect.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by adebayo987: 5:40am On Aug 11, 2023
I said again, no democratic nation will support a coup country, otherwise to they will experience one. China is not stupid.
FreeStuffsNG:
August 10, 2023

Mynd44 nlfpmod

19 Likes

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Premtv: 5:43am On Aug 11, 2023
Wahala....

1 Like

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by NSNO(m): 6:34am On Aug 11, 2023
This Nigeriens are not smart at all. They don't know that they are taking their country back decades because of this short-sightedness and hunger for power.

Real development comes with stability. When investors and foreign allies see that you have a stable government with clear rules for succession then they will be comfortable investing their money.

They are banking on resources forgetting that resources don't guarantee development. The greatest indicator of development in a country is credit rating and that is highly correlated with a stable government. Something they just threw away because they were power hungry.

The next few years will be interesting to watch.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by theophorus(m): 6:40am On Aug 11, 2023
Why you go dey waste your time and fund to build wetin fit blow up in seconds?

Abeg until some Peace and Sanity returns to Niger, there is no point investing any money there ooo.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by babaRUNtinz(m): 6:42am On Aug 11, 2023
We will all watch till the end.
Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by KenechukwuEdu: 6:42am On Aug 11, 2023
It’s always the ordinary people that suffers during war. This dam would have provided much needed electricity for ordinary Nigeriens who need to to be productive. Even we sef wey Dey naija would have benefited because Niger no go Dey share the small one wey we Dey generate again.
Majority of the Northerners and Old Easterners want peace not war.

Follow this link to watch my YouTube video to get a better insight of the politics of the Sahel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytUiZZLHHGw

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by MS247: 6:43am On Aug 11, 2023
cool

E go soon red for Niger

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by GoodRocks: 6:45am On Aug 11, 2023
MS247:
E go soon red for Niger

Wake up from your slumber Dude.

Niger is currently one step ahead of Nigeria

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by ehikwe22: 6:45am On Aug 11, 2023
Praxis758:

Powerful to destroy others but not powerful enough to heal themselves? Are you a sadist? As long as you're inflicting pains on another your own pains no longer matter?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by obembet(f): 6:46am On Aug 11, 2023
Niger dey listening to IPOB Motivation speaker

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by BoldBrainz(m): 6:47am On Aug 11, 2023
adebayo987:
I said again, no democratic nation will support a coup country, otherwise to they will experience one. China is not stupid.

China is not a democratic nation.

7 Likes

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Sonnobax15(m): 6:49am On Aug 11, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Wainey: 6:50am On Aug 11, 2023
GO0DHardDick:

mumu

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by greall12(m): 6:50am On Aug 11, 2023
Even Egyptian respect Nigeria as a country. Just that we lack of good leadership.

quote author=Burob post=125028742] Nigeria the night of West Africa, when I lived in The United States, was when I realized the might of Nigeria.

Even on few times I visited Johannesburg, na maximum respect they have for Nigeria in South Africa. [/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by MS247: 6:51am On Aug 11, 2023
GO0DHardDick:

Am trying to figure out what step that is?! How are they ahead of Nigeria

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Pipefitter: 6:53am On Aug 11, 2023
Praxis758:

The sanctions were imposed by ECOWAS not Nigeria. President Tinubu happens to be president of ECOWAS...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by Watcharena: 6:53am On Aug 11, 2023
Praxis758:

is not about NIgeria it's about France and the western world , NIgeria it's self is been used ,why was there mo sanction on Ukraine after their coup

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions by dydx2020(m): 6:54am On Aug 11, 2023
Sanctions working now.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Israel Threatens To Launch Direct Attack On Iran Shold Iran Carry Out An Attack / South Africa's ANC Calls Israeli Ambassador To Leave The Country / Shocking Facts Of Pistorius' Murder Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.