Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s (26986 Views)

N20,000 Tradermoni Tears Adamawa Couple Apart As Husband Drags Wife To Court / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name / My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by codemaniacs: 5:12am On Aug 13, 2023
Mindlog:
From the report they were never married as bride price was never paid. just cohabiting.

In many igbo communities, children of such relationship belong to the woman's family and should she get married to another man, those children will remain with her family of birth while in some igbo communities, the man who eventually pays her bride price becomes the father of those children and bears his name.......ask questions before opting to be a baby daddy.
Smartguyboy:

The man have no right over the children because you pregnant someone and you the you are automatically owner of the kids without doing the right thing?

Someone should advise the man to go and pay her bride price if he want his kids back that tradition the lady will have no right to stop him.

Unless the lady refuse to let him pay the bride price then he can do whatever he want.

But come to think of it how can a man marry another man wife with 4 kids ?

mariahAngel:

There's no such thing as bastard children in Igbo land.
Freemasonry:
If he never paid her dowry, then she was never his wife in the traditional sense.

In some Igbo cultures, it is the man who pays the dowry that inherits the children of an irresponsible man.

No offense, but it is what it is.

This is supposed to teach guys who just bring in a woman without doing right by them and their customs.
clappa:

This is one of the most satanic and barbaric culture of the igbos I detest. I feel for the Yoruba man tho

Israel07:

What's barbaric abt it?
He pays bride price and the children are his, Simple! Else the Children belongs to her father or any man that eventually pays her bride price.
See as u run call another man cultural way barbaric but una wet dey carry sacrifice in the middle of the day on election eve na saint.
Na y I go keep fvckin ur girls, n 'll start getting them pregnant n come back in 20 years to claim my children since y'all want to be mad

DamnnNiggarr:
you can't just come all the way from God-knows-where, and get someone's daughter pregnant, without performing some marital rites and expect the baby to be handed to you.

You may try that with some woke Igbo families and succeed, but don't ever try that with Igbotic families, especially from Anambra or Abia States, else, you'll have yourself to blame.

So what is the surname of children born in baby factories?

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by tunjijones(m): 5:14am On Aug 13, 2023
IamAsiri:

Have you not heard of such cases before? And how is changing name to that of her husband an aberration? It is called adoption. Unfortunately, he only has right to fight over the last child as other children are now 18 and above and can decide for themselves the surnames they choose to adopt or stick with.

Is it possible to adopt someone child without his consent? I think that is a crime.

I don't know where you are from (maybe south east, cos na only that side I don hear that kin story), but in Yoruba land where I come from it an aberration to change a child surname to that of your present lover.

2 Likes

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by frozen70(f): 5:22am On Aug 13, 2023
ijustdey:

https://tribuneonlineng.com/man-drags-wife-to-court-for-changing-childrens-surname-to-lovers/

Every tribe has a culture

She said the man is
irresponsible and never paid her bride price

So let the court decide if the court recognizes bride price

Now talk about change of name
If the man did not pay her bride price, she shouldn't have changed their surname to the new lover but to her father's name

She should have changed it to her own biological father's name, that's what people from that side does

If you do not to pay a woman's bride price, those children doesn't belong to you, but to the father of the woman by their own tradition

But the major reason why she did so was because it was a request made by her Lover who has been caring for her and her children

We don't have to fault her because we don't know the options she has before doing so

But what about that irresponsible father who left his responsibilities since 2020

Both of them are not suppose to go into family ways in the first place

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by codemaniacs: 5:23am On Aug 13, 2023
greggng:
The same thing happened to me . My ex who is yoruba took my child to one of the passport offices In lagos with a view to obtaining passport for him in the name of her new man . God so kind the thing come hook . She visited me one morning to plead that we reconcile abd have another baby ..I told her that I don't have any issue with that if only she is ready to change her character. After that discussion she suggested we get a passport for our son ....I.love the idea so I followed her to the passport office with a view to getting one for my son . To my surprise I was taking to a special room for interview ...the panel asked me if I am the father of the child...I got angry with them cos is a big insult to say that to a man ...when the discovered I was angry...there oga now brought out application filed by my ex ...

She said she ask me that question cos she has not seen a responsible father allowing the ex to adopt the name of her new husband ...they invited me to clear this before they can proceed . I starrted crying cos I wasn't aware she has gone to do this and the thing hooked ...that's why she started looking for a way to drag me into her evil plan. Immediately I called my.lawyer and he order them to suspend the application untill when I am ready and whatever they wanna do with my criminal ex is left for them. ..That day I respected men and women of Nigerian immigration ...The professional way the handled that matter made me believe that there are many good people in that institution...they told me this kind of incident has sacked lots of them that didn't handle it well ...is a kind of child trafficking . The reason I responded to this is cos the op was saying he is yoruba while the wife is igbo ...crime has no ethnic group ...criminals are in yoruba , igbos and other ethnic group . If marriage is not working out ..those in it should divorce and reach amicable way to takecare of there kids ...marriage is not by force

If your story is true then your case is very different. Your ex wanted to travel out of the country with your children and she needs consent document or a document showing that the court has given her custody of the children since you are not dead that the children are her children.

Infact your story sounds fake and concocted because all she needed from you is an approval document stating that the she is the mother of the children and you are allowing her to travel with the children.

and if Nigeria or the Yoruba states in Nigeria had sense and were very conscious of their traditional laws then the only thing they would have needed is a from you or your family member... If you were dead she would have had to bring a document and evidence proving your death.

Again your story is suspicious because Ekweremadu was able to travel outside the country with another person's child without his parents consent.

3 Likes

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by DestinyNigga: 5:24am On Aug 13, 2023
dominique:
And the children who must be young adults and adolescents folded their arms and watched their mother change their names. Oga talk true, what kind of father are you?

This is Igbo culture. The children does not belong to the man because he did not pay the dowry. So the children can never answer his name. That's how our culture is

2 Likes

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by codemaniacs: 5:35am On Aug 13, 2023
MrDoGood:

Bro relax your mind.
By law, a woman can't claim a child. Except the father choose not to associate with that child.

Get a lawyer to explain better to you.

You're bringing stone age to the future.

Let's say you're ready to marry your baby mama, but her family is against it. What then happens to the child? The family claims it?

A lawyer will explain better to you. Okay?

How does the law handle them?

Anyway this news only shows and proves that Yoruba governors, Yoruba senators, Yoruba judges and Yoruba people in the legal system of the SW don't take their traditional laws seriously..

Things like are supposed to be subject only to traditions and culture of the place where the children were born not where the wife comes from.
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by codemaniacs: 5:36am On Aug 13, 2023
TheMostComplex1:
He didn’t pay bride price so he got not children & any man that marries her na her children's father
sharone21:

This law spans from SE SS up to Cameroon as a way to checkmate irresponsible men.

Even widows and divorces with 4 kids do remarry.... Here, there wasn't any marriage so she was with her boyfriend and NOW has a husband. The children are mostly adults and will choose if to bear their dad's name or their mum's husband's name and they must not make the mistake of choosing a name that would later not help them go through school and life in general.... Marrying a woman with 4 kids no be beans and the man wants guarantee of his investments in the life of the children. Some will say the children will lose out on the inheritance of their dad but a man who can't send them to school and beats their beloved mum may not have anything worthy to give them later. The man wanted to scatter her life and she being a prodigal child allowed it for many years but she remembered where she was coming from and left... He wanted to cheat and thought giving the children Yoruba names meant he had won. The customary court will decide for the woman using her tradition since her people are supposed to see him as their INLAW, NOT a persona non grata.... Even if he married an Armenian, Chinese, Turkish woman he is supposed to follow her family's marriage tradition to be called a SON INLAW. It's good to always do the right thing.

If this is abroad, we will say it is Civil Partnership but here no law and he would pay Palimony to the woman.... Maybe if court pities him, he may pay child's support to the woman as the children can decide for themselves who they want to be with.... But, we should applaud traditional laws that fights for the rights of women like this one as most of our laws( Civil laws) aren't really women friendly
Bunkbars:
they were never married, Just cohabitating.

The man is an irresponsible man.
Kei144:

Call it satanic as much as you like, but the tradition was crafted to dissuade irresponsibility among men. If a man is not ready for marriage, he should not impregnate a woman. That is why baby mama without marriage is rare among Igbos. How many Igbo celebrities have you heard impregnating women all over the country or world, even musicians?

A few years ago i was in a public transport bus from Awka to Onitsha and a Yoruba man was in the bus. A discussion came up about godliness among Igbos. Then I said that the only thing that seriously draws Igbos away from God is money and that (Anambra) Igbos are not so mad about women and wine. As soon as I said "not so mad about women", the Yoruba man said, "Not at all". In the course of his stay in Anambra State, he had noticed that Anambra men are not obsessed with unbridled sex with pretty women that abound. What you call satanic culture, which is of Jewish origin, is responsible for what the Yoruba man observed among Anambra people.
okoroemeka:
this is not a case of mumu but a clash of different tribal ideologies,in igboland if you don't pay the brideprice of a woman she is not your wife and whatever children you manufacture from such relationship is not your children but belongs to the woman's family,infact the two of you are viewed as doing boyfriend and girlfriend relationship,if the man didn't pay the official brideprice their is nothing to judge but it is left for the two to settle their differences peacefully.

IamAsiri:

Have you not heard of such cases before? And how is changing name to that of her husband an aberration? It is called adoption. Unfortunately, he only has right to fight over the last child as other children are now 18 and above and can decide for themselves the surnames they choose to adopt or stick with.
rexesq:

Maybe the man will prove that he paid her bride price

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by brainycaleb(m): 5:40am On Aug 13, 2023
He didn't pay her dowry!

There was no marriage whatsoever! Children aren't for free in Igbo land, if you want one, you must go through the proper way and that is through Marriage else whatever child born without the dowry of the mother being paid, such a child automatically belongs to the Mother's family. The children may recognize you as their father but... they don't belong to you.

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by Nobody: 5:49am On Aug 13, 2023
jeromestarks:
You see why I say fvck any girl you want but when it comes to marriage, find a virgin woman and marry. Only her can guarantee you a happy home you can return to after work.

Never marry a woman you did not disvirgin, she will never forget her ex. She will fvck him whenever he's in town and you will train his children thinking they're yours.

A woman who has been fvcked and mounted by many men is a curse to her children: born and unborn.

She has been fvcking the Igbo man since. He actually owns the children.
True. Some mumu people give the excuse that there aren't virgins anymore.
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by Onyiiobi7735(m): 5:58am On Aug 13, 2023
Fear women. The extent a woman can go to make a man's life miserable is better left imagined.Probably the man was doing great in business before but fell out of luck and was finding things very difficult, and the wife taking advantage of the fact that she's the one running the home, began to unleash terror on the poor man.
The man should fight ferociously for the custody of his children and should be prayerful about it.Some women are more evil than a Level 4 witch.
And she's cocktailing a story of the husband not paying her dowry.Yet she gave birth to four kids for him.
OR maybe if the man really didn't pay her dowry,he has no right to claim those children traditionally.If it's true of this, the woman's family should be fighting this out along with her.
In my place in Anambra,a man has no traditional rights over children produced with a woman he didn't pay her dowry.I guess it's same throughout Igboland
It's only in these useless Asaba movies that a man will come to take over children produced with such woman.
Moreover the woman's family will exert their claim when their daughter and the kids or kid are with them.

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by Jeftliu: 6:00am On Aug 13, 2023
Armaggedon:
The children never belonged to him and Infact, there was no marriage.

Did DNA prove that to you? Who tradition help when we are talking about Law ...you're open ur legs for him to get you pregnant 4 times and you said he's Irresponsible husband..who's Irresponsible between two of them now?

5 Likes

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by Victor08032(m): 6:24am On Aug 13, 2023
It is nautical issue
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by tishbite42: 6:32am On Aug 13, 2023
NovusHomo:

Help me here. So, if I pay dowry on an Igbo woman, I can take over the children she had by another man?! I say KWENU!
Yep, that's if you want them
If you don't, the children belongs to her family
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by tishbite42: 6:40am On Aug 13, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:
Fear women. The extent a woman can go to make a man's life miserable is better left imagined.Probably the man was doing great in business before but fell out of luck and was finding things very difficult, and the wife taking advantage of the fact that she's the one running the home, began to unleash terror on the poor man.
The man should fight ferociously for the custody of his children and should be prayerful about it.Some women are more evil than a Level 4 witch.
And she's cocktailing a story of the husband not paying her dowry.Yet she gave birth to four kids for him.
OR maybe if the man really didn't pay her dowry,he has no right to claim those children traditionally.If it's true of this, the woman's family should be fighting this out along with her.
In my place in Anambra,a man has no traditional rights over children produced with a woman he didn't pay her dowry.I guess it's same throughout Igboland
It's only in these useless Asaba movies that a man will come to take over children produced with such woman.
Moreover the woman's family will exert their claim when their daughter and the kids or kid are with them.
He was doing well but didn't deem it fit to officially wife a woman who birth four children for him?
Let's be objective and real.
The woman's story is more coherent. And, three of the children are above 18, born and bred in Yorubaland so they should no better.
I feel for the man though.

2 Likes

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by MrFly(m): 6:56am On Aug 13, 2023
Mindlog:
From the report they were never married as bride price was never paid. just cohabiting.

In many igbo communities, children of such relationship belong to the woman's family and should she get married to another man, those children will remain with her family of birth while in some igbo communities, the man who eventually pays her bride price becomes the father of those children and bears his name.......ask questions before opting to be a baby daddy.
that was a tradition in the pre colonial era before we had a functional constitution. Nowadays the constitution superceeds tradition so the childrens surnames cant be changed. Wtf

4 Likes

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by gaspology(m): 6:58am On Aug 13, 2023
IconicR:
So tribe is still a major factor in Nigeria marriages? It's sad.
No wonder you failed literature in WASC examination grin So that is the theme of what you just read? Sorry o grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by LordFA: 7:02am On Aug 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

All is story...if pikin grow he won't know his father again abi?

Except that the children in this tale by moon light are one kind one kind
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by EyenIbibio1: 7:06am On Aug 13, 2023
izonborn098:
The new husband mumu'
The wife na another mumu'
The children are also glueless and fool'

Yes, the children are glueless, for not remaining glued to their father. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by BLoomfrancs(m): 7:13am On Aug 13, 2023
dipopooo:
Flatingos are strange breed.. For their minds, they are the best and the most perfect in the world. Most times I wonder the kind of creatures they are.

Shut up there. Mumu.
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by sammiewrite(m): 7:14am On Aug 13, 2023
All the parties involved in this story are not just serious or ready?
And this goes to serve as a lesson to people who always try to prove a point, forgetting they're in Nigeria where the core of our lives is based on ethnicity and religion.
If you get involved with a man or woman from your (or similar) origins, it is usually lesser risk and easier, in terms acceptance by your lover's family and culture/traditions. But when you cross seven seas and seven mountains all in the name of 'I can marry anyone, love doesn't know tribe, etc.' Well, by that you have bargained for something, and must get it. Fvck around, find out.

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by sylve11: 7:19am On Aug 13, 2023
JuanDeDios:

In the man's culture nko?

Nice question! cool
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by sylve11: 7:23am On Aug 13, 2023
Adext4sure:
So, some men can actually get married to a mother of four children..
SMH undecided

Even ready to change their names to his.

I won't try such. cool embarassed cool
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by sylve11: 7:26am On Aug 13, 2023
MrDoGood:

Bro relax your mind.
By law, a woman can't claim a child. Except the father choose not to associate with that child.

Get a lawyer to explain better to you.

You're bringing stone age to the future.

Let's say you're ready to marry your baby mama, but her family is against it. What then happens to the child? The family claims it?

A lawyer will explain better to you. Okay?

She is a "she" cool
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by sylve11: 7:29am On Aug 13, 2023
sharone21:

This law spans from SE SS up to Cameroon as a way to checkmate irresponsible men.

Even widows and divorces with 4 kids do remarry.... Here, there wasn't any marriage so she was with her boyfriend and NOW has a husband. The children are mostly adults and will choose if to bear their dad's name or their mum's husband's name and they must not make the mistake of choosing a name that would later not help them go through school and life in general.... Marrying a woman with 4 kids no be beans and the man wants guarantee of his investments in the life of the children. Some will say the children will lose out on the inheritance of their dad but a man who can't send them to school and beats their beloved mum may not have anything worthy to give them later. The man wanted to scatter her life and she being a prodigal child allowed it for many years but she remembered where she was coming from and left... He wanted to cheat and thought giving the children Yoruba names meant he had won. The customary court will decide for the woman using her tradition since her people are supposed to see him as their INLAW, NOT a persona non grata.... Even if he married an Armenian, Chinese, Turkish woman he is supposed to follow her family's marriage tradition to be called a SON INLAW. It's good to always do the right thing.

If this is abroad, we will say it is Civil Partnership but here no law and he would pay Palimony to the woman.... Maybe if court pities him, he may pay child's support to the woman as the children can decide for themselves who they want to be with.... But, we should applaud traditional laws that fights for the rights of women like this one as most of our laws( Civil laws) aren't really women friendly

Remove SS. undecided cool
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by BlueAir: 7:37am On Aug 13, 2023
Wait. For them to go to court for dissolution of marriage, then it means they wedded by court. So how does traditional dowry invalidates court's marriage? Hm. I fear these people suddenly,see lame excuse
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by sylve11: 7:37am On Aug 13, 2023
codemaniacs:

😄 🤣 cool
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by godofuck231: 7:41am On Aug 13, 2023
Na to kill the lover na , haba , thank God o , see better meat
Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by Waffarianman(m): 7:49am On Aug 13, 2023
Mindlog:

That's before not now, try it with some persons then you'll see head rolling on the ground.

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by Focus001: 7:50am On Aug 13, 2023
It's a pity that we go to court to disturb our judiciary on cases that is simple and direct. If you want the children to bear your name, pay the dowry and take them. E no pass like that.

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by frozen70(f): 7:52am On Aug 13, 2023
codemaniacs:

They bear any name given to them by their mum without a surname or their mums surname because they are mainly for adoption

So whoever adopts them in a legal way, gives them their surname

1 Like

Re: Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s by Dreament(m): 7:52am On Aug 13, 2023
dominique:
And the children who must be young adults and adolescents folded their arms and watched their mother change their names. Oga talk true, what kind of father are you?
the father maybe the worse father on Earth. But when a mum have nutured her children against their father from birth, forget it their is nothing the man Will do that will please the children. Especially when they are with their mum. Normally how can you even change your children surename to your new husband name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? / Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me / Which Of These Childhood Games Did You Play?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.