Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House (20658 Views)

Tunde Onakoya's Parents Get A House As A Gift From Someone / Don't Be The Next Land Scam Victim. Verify That Property To Avoid Being Duped / Ways To Avoid Being Scammed As A Real Estate Investor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Brainbox0806: 8:51pm On Aug 13, 2023
Good day to you all, I'm on the verge of buying a house for a close family, I bare the responsibility of making payment and verifying that the property is genuine because I'm the one that introduced him to the agent.

I'm trying to be careful because of some clauses that involves the originality of the seller. Mr. A built the house from the ground, lived in it for like seven months then relocated abroad, he appointed a representative ( I think his brother) to sell the property, Mr. B ( also from abroad ) contacted a company to buy the property on his behalf, the property was inspected buy consultant C ( A company ), payment was made and the house was taken over by consultant C but Mr B never occupied the said house since Inception of the purchase, after 15 months of procurement Mr B decided to sell the property through same consultant C.

The neighbour can't ascertain the relationship between Mr A and consultant C , but Mr A has been informed by a neighbour about the presence of consultant C in the house and he confirmed that the house has been sold off . Consultant C do visit the house periodically but the house remains under lock.

The problem now is that consultant C want me to pay directly to him, refusing to give me Mr B. phone number for verification, sighting that the consent letter given to him by Mr B is enough proof. I suspect he's hiding the real price from the owner but I don't want to go ahead without verifying the identity of Mr B ( the current seller). The intending buyer is so in love with the house and cant wait to make payment but I'm hellbent of hearing from Mr B

Kindly advise.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by wittywriter: 8:59pm On Aug 13, 2023
Brainbox0806:
Good day to you all, I'm on the verge of buying a house for a close family, I bare the responsibility of making payment and verifying that the property is genuine because I'm the one that introduced him to the agent.

I'm trying to be careful because of some clauses that involves the originality of the seller. Mr. A built the house from the ground, lived in it for like seven months then relocated abroad, he appointed a representative ( I think his brother) to sell the property, Mr. B ( also from abroad ) contacted a company to buy the property on his behalf, the property was inspected buy consultant C ( A company ), payment was made and the house was taken over by consultant C but Mr B never occupied the said house since Inception of the purchase, after 15 months of procurement Mr B decided to sell the property through same consultant C.

The neighbour can't ascertain the relationship between Mr A and consultant C , but Mr A has been informed by a neighbour about the presence of consultant C in the house and he confirmed that the house has been sold off . Consultant C do visit the house periodically but the house remains under lock.

The problem now is that consultant C want me to pay directly to him, refusing to give me Mr B. phone number for verification, sighting that the consent letter given to him by Mr B is enough proof. I suspect he's hiding the real price from the owner but I don't want to go ahead without verifying the identity of Mr B ( the current seller). The intending buyer is so in love with the house and cant wait to make payment but I'm hellbent of hearing from Mr B

Kindly advise.

Get your bank and the sellers bank practically involved....request for a bank lawyer.

Thank me later

Brainbox0806:

Thanks for your response, I've never heard of a bank lawyer before. How can such be of help in this case?

I'm not a lawyer...but I write for some...I can link you to one or better still reachout to your account officer for a link .

@Brainbox0806 I guess it's safe to say your transaction went well without any scam involved....Cheers.

Wittyness

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Brainbox0806: 10:19pm On Aug 13, 2023
wittywriter:

Get your bank and the sellers bank practically involved....request for a bank lawyer.

Thank me later

Wittyness

NB: I just got a notice from a surveyor that the land is under federal government acquisition, I guess this is the reason Mr A sold to Mr B and Mr B now looking for who to dump it on, I'm happy and felt relieved because we were to pay tomorrow morning ,i just dropped a message to consultant C that the mission has been aborted, I know he will feel so shocked but who cares! Thanks for your immense contributions, may God bless you all

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by DevilishMan: 10:41pm On Aug 13, 2023
Brainbox0806:

Kindly advise.

I thought it was scam at first but it isn't.
It's very normal for property owners to use property managers for this kind of deal.

What Consultant C should provide is a Power of Attorney showing that Mr. B authorized them to deal on his behalf. This doc is even supposed to contain the owner's numbers on the letterhead. If legit, the owner can still refuse to discuss terms with you and tell you to deal with his agents (Consultant C). The photocopies of the title document should also be provided for you to do your own verification and ascertain that the property is unencumbered and truly in Mr. B's name.

After these, go ahead.

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Ilekokonit: 11:47pm On Aug 13, 2023
The intending buyer is so in love with the house and cant wait to make payment

A fool and his money are soon parted.

A house purchase is the singular most expensive purchase anyone will make in their life time. Tell the intending buyer to slow down to avoid being ripped off.

If there is nothing to hide, then there will be no barriers to releasing the contact details of the real owner of the house.

90 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Stevenbright(m): 12:33am On Aug 14, 2023
Brainbox0806:

Kindly advise.

You are doing the right thing. But I suggest you involve your own lawyer to avoid story that touches!

31 Likes

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Brainbox0806: 12:37am On Aug 14, 2023
DevilishMan:

I thought it was scam at first but it isn't.
It's very normal for property owners to use property managers for this kind of deal.

What Consultant C should provide is a Power of Attorney showing that Mr. B authorized them to deal on his behalf. This doc is even supposed to contain the owner's numbers on the letterhead. If legit, the owner can still refuse to discuss terms with you and tell you to deal with his agents (Consultant C). The photocopies of the title document should also be provided for you to do your own verification and ascertain that the property is unencumbered and truly in Mr. B's name.

After these, go ahead.

Thanks for your response, it's concerning that the consent letter consultant C showed me doesn't carry address or phone number of Mr B, maybe it was cropped out, I suppose. I suspect that consultant C might want to make a huge profit on the sale and trying very hard to hide it from Mr. B, the neighbour also told me that consultant C has been selling some properties in the house which I believe Mr B isn't aware of ( because the house is going with all the properties Mr A left behind such AC, TVs, etc, consultant C even told me that he will be removing the biggest standing AC after the sale) . He showed me the offer letter he made to Mr A on behalf of Mr B in 2022, there I realised he's selling with a 50% profit margin.

8 Likes

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Brainbox0806: 12:42am On Aug 14, 2023
Stevenbright:

You are doing the right thing. But I suggest you involve your own lawyer to avoid story that touches!

Thanks for your response . I've involved my lawyer, he said that he will be adding some clauses to the deeds agreement that will empower the intending buyer, such as if any problems occur in future consultant C will be solely responsible.

22 Likes

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by DevilishMan: 1:22am On Aug 14, 2023
Brainbox0806:

Thanks for your response, it's concerning that the consent letter consultant C showed me doesn't carry address or phone number of Mr B, maybe it was cropped out,

Huge red flag.

Request for the title documents.
This should clear all doubts.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Foodqueen(f): 6:17am On Aug 14, 2023
If he's not ready to give your all that u request for including phone nos, then opt out.

Tell the buyer to calm down.

Or better still look for another, properties plenty everywhere.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Bfex: 10:23pm On Aug 15, 2023
Use an Esv instead of agent
It is their area of specialization

1 Like

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Bfex: 5:28am On Aug 16, 2023
Bfex:
Use an Esv instead of agent
It is their area of specialization

I am an estate Management graduate though but not an ESV
I can link you with trusted ESV
Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by slawomir: 1:42pm On Aug 16, 2023
Damnnn niggar

In all you do

Ensure you don't looseguard

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by ThiefnubuBandit: 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2023
Run oh! Run oh!! Run oh!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by FalseProphet1(m): 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2023
Stop being selfish and get yourself a lawyer.
Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by LordGuru1: 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2023
Brainbox0806:

Kindly advise.

cry Depends on where you are my brother, don't buy land close to farm or forest especially if you are in an Area where the Military have not yet fully flushed out the most heartless Brutish Killers in Nigeria (they have really tried for majority parts of the Nation since President Tinubu gave them matching order) then, till the Military has flushed them out from your Forests and Farms too. Have you seen the trending video of that handsome young Nasarawa Farmer holding his 2nd Hand that was cut off by the Fulenni herdsmen just yesterday?! Imagine if their person continued in Power as President of Nigeria, God forbid!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by MarketDispatch: 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2023
Would suggest not to buy that house...Your money is gone once it leaves your bank account.

There is unclear path to the ownership of the house.

Consent is not enough to sell the house. Who has the power of Attorney to sell the house? Is the Power of Attorney registered with the Lands Ministry?.

Don't be quick to lose your money for this Tinubu period.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by sofeo(m): 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2023
Congratulations Fella
Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by SILVERLINES: 1:44pm On Aug 16, 2023
grin
Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by obembet(f): 1:44pm On Aug 16, 2023
Don't dm any Nairalanders fake agent, many of the are scammer

2. Go to register agent

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2023
Consult a property lawyer and pay for his professional services, including background checks.

Go to the town planning office and get details of the said property. Also, don't forget to pray about it.

Shalom.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by b3llo(m): 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2023
Ensure there is a power of attorney provided. Since the house is being sold with furnitures and electronic you should demand for a detail list of such. Most importantly, the real owner should be involved.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Seequadry(m): 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2023
Brainbox0806:
). The intending buyer is so in love with the house and cant wait to make payment but I'm hellbent of hearing from Mr B

Kindly advise.

I get discovery jazz... With my Jaz you go know who wan scam u or not %100 gurantee
Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by ThiefnubuBandit: 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2023
LordGuru1:
V

Stipend collector
Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by DenreleDave(m): 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2023
Rather than buying a house, why not use that money to rent one and share the rest to helpless people around you undecided undecided undecided

grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Dozie32(m): 1:46pm On Aug 16, 2023
Good luck man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by onlyboyson(m): 1:46pm On Aug 16, 2023
Get a nice lawyer with a good chamber history

Not charge and bail lawyer that drive 504 pegeut

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by Viciyke(m): 1:47pm On Aug 16, 2023
Consult a property/real estate lawyer that will conduct due diligent search for you. Also make sure that an indemnity clause is or must be added to the agreement before signing. Don't rush and pay, observe the agent and ask any question u feel u need to ask, if the property is registered, ur lawyer will visit the state land registry for proper verification.
Brainbox0806:

Kindly advise.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by AgentGoat: 1:48pm On Aug 16, 2023
Na only elders fit give you better advise make you wait for them.
Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by ShenTeh(m): 1:48pm On Aug 16, 2023
Slow down.

The first crack always shows if you refuse to be railroaded by the urgency what they push to you.

Two. Do due diligence. Go back there unplanned with someone else. This simple step has helped saved me from fraudsters who took me to go and see 'the landlord' who was surprisingly not at home, despite confirming the appointment about 15 mins earlier.

3. Remember that cash is king. So, whoever holds it is boss. Don't transfer your authority without due diligence.

Good luck

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Avoid Being Scammed, I'm About To Buy A House by qtx(m): 1:49pm On Aug 16, 2023
Brainbox0806:

Kindly advise.

Is that the only house in the country for sale? Anything that has a corner corner story has some risk. get another house with straightforward story

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments / Building Collapsed At Muri Okunola, Victoria Island / ORIGINAL SURVEY PLAN,BUILDING PLAN DOCUMENT,BUILDING APPROVAL & CONSTRUTION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.