Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. (56908 Views)

Swiss Woman Married To Anambra Guy, Compares Nigeria To Zurich- Pics / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sonnie10: 2:11am On Aug 17, 2023
Ilaje1:

She's capping. Full tank depends on your car. I spend $60. I don't know if she lives inside Ajegunle, an average 2-bedroom (note: I'm not talking about Luxury apartment) is not less than $1500 per month. That being said, Houston is like living in country side compare to NY, California, Boston and so on, just like living in Oyo or Ogbomoso to Lagos. If you have to compare the cost of living in Lagos and Abuja, you compare to places like NY, Boston California where 2 bedroom apartment is as cheap as $4500 per month.
So mattapan, dorchester, Roxbury, stougton, Fall River and Lynn are all better than Houston?
I doubt that you have been to Houston.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by donfood4thought: 2:21am On Aug 17, 2023
all Lies, we all know the minimum wage is different.

thinking of studying in canada? watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvtSJbmE5PY&t=7s
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Uchek(m): 2:37am On Aug 17, 2023
So what is ur point?

LegendHero:
Lol, the lady did some delusional tactics well. Most of the things she stated there are lies for USA or she probably live in the extreme suburb where she has to take 2hours ride to get to the nearest city.

—Consistent internet which will give Wi-Fi for a home for instance should be within $60-$100 monthly. Your phone bill could be $30, but it’s not gonna power most of your household gadgets and etc coz that $30 won’t be on an unlimited data plan.

—How can 2bed rent be $9600 per year? Does she mean in Houston for example, you’ll get a 2bed apartment for $800? She’s probably hallucinating.

In ATL for example, house rent in the city area for that 2 bed are usually within $1500-2500 per month. On top of that, you pay Light bill, gas bill, and the apartment monthly charges on sewage and common area if you live in an Apt complex. That could be additional $250 on it.

If it’s now mortgage, no way in hell will you get that monthly payment.

On average, in a city, you’ll pay nothing less than $18k yearly and that’s even being conservative. It could go up to $28k in total for most cities.

—I agree with her groceries of $700 monthly. That still make sense if you’re only spending on food.

However, to go out to a restaurant for 2 people, you spend nothing less than $80-100 in one sitting especially for Nigerian food restaurants. To the lounge, you spend nothing less than $100-$150 if you factor hookah and drinks for 2 people.

Except if you be get inside person will you even spend that monthly. Coz me I count jollification with food price.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by UnfairLife7(m): 4:05am On Aug 17, 2023
Abbeytoy:

What positive effect has your lamentation done since?

What's that thing you're doing to make the country better aside pointing fingers and complaining?

learn to hold your corrupt leaders accountable. I do not hold any political offices. I only owe my parents and if I'm married my wife and kids responsibility. I endure to raise a responsible kids that cannot be bully, intimidated nor oppress by anyone.

I am not responsible to provide Nigerians security, employment, good healthcare, power, good road network, quality education et al

Stop supporting your oppressors that has stolen your future and that of your unborn kids

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by UnfairLife7(m): 4:15am On Aug 17, 2023
Enice:
so you think your stupid third class Obi would have done better? See this one! He claims others are the ones drawing us back, not knowing that him and his ilks are the problem we have.
If something does not go their favour, they'll prefer to destroy that thing than to make amends. Now tell me! How can a country move forward when it has such citizens. If it's not in their favour then they destroy it.
you asslick your oppressors that has stolen your future and that of your unborn kids. You support politicians that are know to be corrupt even to 1 years old child. American masses earn far better than Nigerians but your so called politicians earn better than American politicians. You can't call out your leaders because they're your tribes men. You can't recall your corrupt leaders because they shared same religion or ethnic with you. The country cannot move forward with people like you
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Terror666(m): 4:31am On Aug 17, 2023
Thank you for this.

Lol, the lady did some delusional tactics well. Most of the things she stated there are lies for USA or she probably live in the extreme suburb where she has to take 2hours ride to get to the nearest city.

—Consistent internet which will give Wi-Fi for a home for instance should be within $60-$100 monthly. Your phone bill could be $30, but it’s not gonna power most of your household gadgets and etc coz that $30 won’t be on an unlimited data plan.

—How can 2bed rent be $9600 per year? Does she mean in Houston for example, you’ll get a 2bed apartment for $800? She’s probably hallucinating.

In ATL for example, house rent in the city area for that 2 bed are usually within $1500-2500 per month. On top of that, you pay Light bill, gas bill, and the apartment monthly charges on sewage and common area if you live in an Apt complex. That could be additional $250 on it.

On average, in a city, you’ll pay nothing less than $18k yearly and that’s even being conservative. It could go up to $28k in total for most cities.

—I agree with her groceries of $700 monthly. That still make sense if you’re only spending on food.

However, to go out to a restaurant for 2 people, you spend nothing less than $80-100 in one sitting especially for Nigerian food restaurants. To the lounge, you spend nothing less than $100-$150 if you factor hookah and drinks for 2 people.

Except if you be get inside person will you even spend that monthly. Coz me I count jollification with food price.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sisisioge: 5:13am On Aug 17, 2023
I hope she compared per capital income too....them no dey compare lion and dog fa
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by LegendHero(m): 5:31am On Aug 17, 2023
Uchek:
So what is ur point?

Nipples point.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by IbeOkehie: 5:42am On Aug 17, 2023
I was in the USA, UK, India, Italy and Nigeria in the same year - 2010 - and stayed for several weeks in each country. I kept detailed notes on cost of living. I made it a point to price regular goods and services at regular shops. I found that India is the cheapest of the five while Nigeria is the most expensive. Food in India is so cheap, it's like water. They almost give it away.

Nigeria is outrageously expensive to live in, especially when comparing the same quality of goods & services, but even the low quality in Nigeria is still more expensive than higher quality things in the other places. sad

Good Luck to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by OgaSeun: 6:32am On Aug 17, 2023
SenatePresdo:
Funny thing is that the average wage in America is far bigger than the average wage in Nigeria.

But our politicians are richer than their politicians, and its because suffersticated morons have chosen to draw us back far More than any region in Nigeria.

I was thinking illiterate majority of Northerners were the ones holding the few intellects hostage in this country, never knew the brown roofers are worst.

No wonder poverty reigns supreme over there that they can't afford to renovate their Houses after building it the time Rome was built.

Stupidity will cost your progress.

If dem tell you say you be mumu.. No dey argue am again.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Regex: 7:14am On Aug 17, 2023
sweetgala:

It's not necessarily free in Europe either. Make she go remove her tooth and let me know the coats. To get rid of my wisdom tooth it cost me over 500 euros.

And my family medical insurance part funded by my employer is over 3000 euro annually and that is considered cheap. In US you're looking at over 10k USD

Omo USA is bloody good expensive oh...
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by 2kris(m): 7:39am On Aug 17, 2023
ednut1:
she lives in Nigeria. Learn to read
jealousy full him mind,
The guy na olodo
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sweetgala(m): 7:55am On Aug 17, 2023
sonnie10:

If she make only $1k a week that is $4k a month, it would be just 5% of her salary

Compare it with someone who lives in mainland and works at the island in Lagos, they will equally buy full tanks every week at say #45k a week
Which is #180k a month.
Assuming the person’s salary is #500k a month, that would about 40% of that person’s salary

If you are making 4k a month don't forget you'll have tax liabilities. Either you are PAYE or you have to reconcile yearly. Trust me you don't want to be dodging taxes nah straight to jail. So deduct 25% from those wages.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by IamPlato(m): 8:45am On Aug 17, 2023
sweetgala:

Nah you be the silly one, you need to first convert the 45usd to naira, and then see it's true value.

The Japanese yen is not at parity with the dollar yet the quality of life in Japan is equal or even higher than that of the average American
olodo, converting it shows your currency is useless to the dollar.

What can 45naira buy in America? That's how you know if your country has value. Olodo
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by mickyeddi(m): 9:08am On Aug 17, 2023
LegendHero:

She probably lives on one of those Hillbilly trailer parks ridden with toothless red neck inbreds.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by epistleNow(m): 9:15am On Aug 17, 2023
Taylor90:
You know the most underrated advantage of living abroad is their swift medical treatment and care

.....This is a free health insurance you get abroad for free

Let’s not even talk of minimum wage, basic amunities, security, standard of living and the rest

Whatever makes an American depressed and sad na mortuary standard for Nigerian be that

Most of these statements are just myths. Not rooted in facts; what people just say to ridicule Nigeria.

The American health system is so expensive that American go to Mexico to get cheap medicals. Its way out of reach of many Americans.

Cost of drugs is almost 4 times that of neighboring Canada..

All those things you see in movies are exaggerated and not real, ambulances don't show up that fast and it cost about $1500 for a ride in an ambulance.

Whist Nigeria can't be compared but don't just say what isn't true to bash Nigeria further than what it is.

Nothing is free in America.

You work for it and Pay for it.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Rubyjade: 9:29am On Aug 17, 2023
Call the number attached to the post
Pclemenza:

Monthly payment is how much and is it unlimited?
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Rubyjade: 9:30am On Aug 17, 2023
Ogbeni E wo ni werey
Natbrowny:

Iku pa fastest
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Bigsunny01(m): 9:49am On Aug 17, 2023
She should have also compare dere minimum wage to ours
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by lexyclasy: 11:09am On Aug 17, 2023
ednut1:
she lives in Nigeria. Learn to read
Where is it written that she lives in Nigeria, this is how some of you fail English comprehension and summary.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Rikaxe9432: 1:20pm On Aug 17, 2023
Abi dis one no get sense niii

Shey #1 na $1 niii 😞
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sunboy(m): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2023
Taylor90:
You know the most underrated advantage of living abroad is their swift medical treatment and care

Do you know that Sam Okparaji died at Surulere football stadium because ambulance no gree start

Does this lady know how many Nigerians that has lost their lives because NEPA took light during surgical procedures

Do you know how many lives that has wasted in Nigeria to negligence and poor facilities?

Do you know I know someone that lost a mom because of 10k balance before treatments?

This is a free health insurance you get abroad for free

Let’s not even talk of minimum wage, basic amunities, security, standard of living and the rest

Whatever makes an American depressed and sad na mortuary standard for Nigerian be that

Omo I’m very sure Nigeria is the forbidden country God told Abraham

The swift medical that you pay arm and leg for ? And get over charged for simple headache ? Abeg it’s not that rosy like you imagine it.

You people should stop this mumu comparison abeg.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by tosinhtml: 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2023
qtguru:
$9600 rent per year how ? for 2 Bedroom

Sounds doubtful

She is lying, I checked her thread on Twitter & found people living in that area in Houston * rent is not 9600 per year (800 per month).

Average rent in Houston is $1,800 for a 2-bed since August 2022. Also apart from rent, every other thing is expensive. An average 1-hour bolt ride in Lagos will cost you about N4000 - N10,000 depending on surge. In US it should cost around $100 or more. Haircut is $30 to $150 depending on location. While Nigeria, haircut is N1000 to N5000 depending on area. Nigeria is a poor country, how can we be spending more.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Ofadaman(m): 9:41pm On Aug 17, 2023
sweetgala:

The minimum wage in California is 16usd and it's one of the highest, So let's say the monthly gross is 2500. I can assure you can't survive on that. Between rent and bills you'll have nothing at the end of the month

16 USD per hour
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by jara: 1:23am On Aug 18, 2023
Chei! All of unah missed the point after 8 pages.

How easy is it to take all your life savings to overseas and settle?

It will be exhausted in One Month!

After that, you can come and real all the 8 pages. If you can find a job or run back to Nigeria to loot some More.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sweetgala(m): 6:26am On Aug 18, 2023
IamPlato:
olodo, converting it shows your currency is useless to the dollar.

What can 45naira buy in America? That's how you know if your country has value. Olodo

By your silly argument what also can 45 yen buy in America, or even 46 yuan. Yet these are both boisterous economies.
I don't get this nonsense of fixation on parity, and the over exhausted focus on the relative value of the dollar.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by headboyprince(m): 9:19am On Aug 18, 2023
tosinhtml:

She is lying, I checked her thread on Twitter & found people living in that area in Houston * rent is not 9600 per year (800 per month).

Average rent in Houston is $1,800 for a 2-bed since August 2022. Also apart from rent, every other thing is expensive. An average 1-hour bolt ride in Lagos will cost you about N4000 - N10,000 depending on surge. In US it should cost around $100 or more. Haircut is $30 to $150 depending on location. While Nigeria, haircut is N1000 to N5000 depending on area. Nigeria is a poor country, how can we be spending more.
Nigeria is more expensive if you factor in Income and starndard of living... thats what determines prices... if you want cheap rent, leave lekki, and go live in sambisa forest, you dont even need to pay rent... whereas in lekki average rent is 500k..

can you now see how the comparison between the two doesnt make sense at all.. income potential in sambisa is almost 0... grin

so if you increase rent from 0 to 100k in sambisa, then you say it's cheap because it's 500k in lekki ..that;s what you guys are doing here, just dog shit... no comparison of income or standard of living just mere cost like we all earn same income and the quality of live is the same.. even the quality of those things you're comparing arent the same at all... so why all these blind comparisons...
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by IamPlato(m): 9:38am On Aug 18, 2023
sweetgala:

By your silly argument what also can 45 yen buy in America, or even 46 yuan. Yet these are both boisterous economies.
I don't get this nonsense of fixation on parity, and the over exhausted focus on the relative value of the dollar.
shebi you don't have sense... Between America and Nigeria which country's economy is better.

The world America has the biggest economy success then China.

So in your dirty mind you think that currency value doesn't matter.

Nigga go and throway that stupid phone in your hand
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sweetgala(m): 9:48am On Aug 18, 2023
IamPlato:
shebi you don't have sense... Between America and Nigeria which country's economy is better.

The world America has the biggest economy success then China.

So in your dirty mind you think that currency value doesn't matter.

Nigga go and throway that stupid phone in your hand

It's already known which economy is stronger a d which currency is. I'm just making clear why you are bent on a foolish errand.

I don't know why you worship the dollar so irresponsibly.

And America doesn't have a bigger economic success than China, America just has a bigger economic legacy compared to the chinese, the BRICS nations continue to pose a danger to the American dollar and it's current standard as the currency of trade in many key sectors.

Once they can defeat the basis of international trade, life can be very brutal for American citizens.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by tosinhtml: 12:18pm On Aug 18, 2023
headboyprince:
Nigeria is more expensive if you factor in Income and starndard of living... thats what determines prices... if you want cheap rent, leave lekki, and go live in sambisa forest, you dont even need to pay rent... whereas in lekki average rent is 500k..

can you now see how the comparison between the two doesnt make sense at all.. income potential in sambisa is almost 0... grin

so if you increase rent from 0 to 100k in sambisa, then you say it's cheap because it's 500k in lekki ..that;s what you guys are doing here, just dog shit... no comparison of income or standard of living just mere cost like we all earn same income and the quality of live is the same.. even the quality of those things you're comparing arent the same at all... so why all these blind comparisons...

Using this metrics, you're correct but she was merely comparing by amount of bills paid & that's where we stopped.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by headboyprince(m): 2:22pm On Aug 18, 2023
tosinhtml:

Using this metrics, you're correct but she was merely comparing by amount of bills paid & that's where we stopped.
so you just compare bills paid in naira and stop there No talk about economics, income, standard of living you guys are ridiculous... Just trying so hard to make Nigeria look decent when its so rotten..angry
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by obstead200(m): 5:38pm On Aug 18, 2023
MrBroke:

Nigerians are Nigeria biggest problem. Any little thing they call dollar like we use dollar here or we get paid with it. I keep saying it that someone making N300k - N500k a month is better than a lot of Americans but ignorant people everywhere to detest. These people live on credit grin
but u are wrong ooo. Let's make that 500k and above abeg

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Trailer Saved Another From Falling This Morning In Lagos / Edmund Echukwu Dies At James Bond-Themed Sex Party In UK (photos) / Onitsha From First And Second Niger Bridge (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.