Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,762 members, 7,813,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. (56815 Views)

Swiss Woman Married To Anambra Guy, Compares Nigeria To Zurich- Pics / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sweetgala(m): 10:04pm On Aug 16, 2023
Validated:
Nigerians with delusional analysis. You are analyzing cost but forget the revenue. What is the average earnings for a graduate in US, about $60,000. That is N57m. How much does a graduate earn in Nigeria? N840K, so how can you be comparing these two. Please, do not come here to talk of taxes. Average Lagosian pays about 22% PAYE yet have no option for tax refunds. In US, you are charged about 22-25% and with tax returns you could get back about 25 -50% of the tax deducted, sometimes higher.

That graduate didn't tell you how much they owe In student fees and loans to allow them graduate. At an average of 15-20k USD per annum that is over 80k in loans over a 4yrs bachelor's degree
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Antichristus: 10:05pm On Aug 16, 2023
Taylor90:
You know the most underrated advantage of living abroad is their swift medical treatment and care

Do you know that Sam Okparaji died at Surulere football stadium because ambulance no gree start

Does this lady know how many Nigerians that has lost their lives because NEPA took light during surgical procedures

Do you know how many lives that has wasted in Nigeria to negligence and poor facilities?

Do you know I know someone that lost a mom because of 10k balance before treatments?

This is a free health insurance you get abroad for free

Let’s not even talk of minimum wage, basic amunities, security, standard of living and the rest

Whatever makes an American depressed and sad na mortuary standard for Nigerian be that

Omo I’m very sure Nigeria is the forbidden country God told Abraham

Your English teacher was on sabbatical from JS1-SS3. Congratulations.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by donmik: 10:07pm On Aug 16, 2023
Taylor90:
You know the most underrated advantage of living abroad is their swift medical treatment and care

Do you know that Sam Okparaji died at Surulere football stadium because ambulance no gree start

Does this lady know how many Nigerians that has lost their lives because NEPA took light during surgical procedures

Do you know how many lives that has wasted in Nigeria to negligence and poor facilities?

Do you know I know someone that lost a mom because of 10k balance before treatments?

Let’s not even talk of minimum wage, basic amunities, security, standard of living and the rest

Whatever makes an American depressed and sad na mortuary standard for Nigerian be that

You have said it all and I don't need to read further. God bless you
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Murketeer: 10:10pm On Aug 16, 2023
LegendHero:
Lol, the lady did some delusional tactics well. Most of the things she stated there are lies for USA or she probably live in the extreme suburb where she has to take 2hours ride to get to the nearest city.

—Consistent internet which will give Wi-Fi for a home for instance should be within $60-$100 monthly. Your phone bill could be $30, but it’s not gonna power most of your household gadgets and etc coz that $30 won’t be on an unlimited data plan.

—How can 2bed rent be $9600 per year? Does she mean in Houston for example, you’ll get a 2bed apartment for $800? She’s probably hallucinating.

In ATL for example, house rent in the city area for that 2 bed are usually within $1500-2500 per month. On top of that, you pay Light bill, gas bill, and the apartment monthly charges on sewage and common area if you live in an Apt complex. That could be additional $250 on it.

If it’s now mortgage, no way in hell will you get that monthly payment.

On average, in a city, you’ll pay nothing less than $18k yearly and that’s even being conservative. It could go up to $28k in total for most cities.

—I agree with her groceries of $700 monthly. That still make sense if you’re only spending on food.

However, to go out to a restaurant for 2 people, you spend nothing less than $80-100 in one sitting especially for Nigerian food restaurants. To the lounge, you spend nothing less than $100-$150 if you factor hookah and drinks for 2 people.

Except if you be get inside person will you even spend that monthly. Coz me I count jollification with food price.

It won't be difficult to pay tha rent because of their good minimum wage
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sweetgala(m): 10:14pm On Aug 16, 2023
Offpointng:

$100 per hour?? Don't be delusional, no job anywhere in the world would offer you such amount hourly

I do know of some contractors in niche skill markets who earn 500-1000k pounds daily. But those people are rare.
They have rare skills and even at that they don't have a permanent job so they may be out of work for 3-6 months at a time and they have to sort out their tax. Which is on the higher scale of 45-50% .

I certainly don't like that sort of a job, because they really have to work and any medical issues that keeps them from working can expose them to serious financial peril.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sweetgala(m): 10:16pm On Aug 16, 2023
sonnie10:

Why are people like this? Where is lie in that?
$45 will get you about 13 gallons of petrol at $3.3 per liter. When converted to liters, 13 gallons is 49 liters.
How many small or mid size sedan takes more than 50 liter of petrol?

If you live in USA that me I've been to, 49litres wouldn't last you long doin 20-30mpg.
So what's her monthly fuel expenditure, nothing less than 150-200 USD
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by grandstar(m): 10:18pm On Aug 16, 2023
Taylor90:

Health care in America is not free! It is also very expensive. It is a burning issue.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by LegendHero(m): 10:25pm On Aug 16, 2023
Murketeer:

It won't be difficult to pay tha rent because of their good minimum wage

It will be somehow difficult.

It’s $7.25 per hr for minimum wage in GA. That’s gonna be $1,160 per month. If they live in the city, it’s gonna be hard to pay rent for one room apt with the house bills monthly. I mean extremely hard especially when rent can be an average of $1000 monthly for a one bed apt.

However, percentage of people that earn minimum wage is extremely low to like less than 2% of the population. That’s why that minimum wage rhetorics is not a good way to look at the data.

Even in Nigeria, percentage of people employed in the formal sector that earn exactly 30k monthly are very low.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by MrBroke(m): 10:27pm On Aug 16, 2023
obstead200:
I hate idiots like that lady comparing living costs in two countries. It is the most stupid thing someone can ever do. Only illiterates reason that way.

Has she ever heard of earning capacity?
Has she ever heard of comparative purchasing power?

Nigerians are Nigeria biggest problem. Any little thing they call dollar like we use dollar here or we get paid with it. I keep saying it that someone making N300k - N500k a month is better than a lot of Americans but ignorant people everywhere to detest. These people live on credit grin
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by LegendHero(m): 10:30pm On Aug 16, 2023
grandstar:

Health care in America is free. It is also very expensive. It is a burning issue.

Don’t mind that one. He’s writing for his fellow ignoramus.

How can any sane person say healthcare is free in USA lol 😂.

If anything happen to person wey make them book ambulance for am, his own don finish. Health bills will be running in the thousand $$.

One of my guys for school that time once did an appendicitis surgery when we dey college, na almost $13k come as his bill and his insurance co-pay part of it but yet the guy still owe like $6k out of pocket coz of the kind of insurance he got.

The only good thing is that they will treat you first and save your life. But you see that bill, you must pay am or they go find collector to get am from you.

For Naija, how much dem dey do appendicitis surgery? People go dey talk am like say na same thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by IamgratefulLord(f): 10:45pm On Aug 16, 2023
Jestin:
What is your take home monthly? Some private sch teachers are still earning 30k monthly.
Like me o. I dey look for who to help me leave Nigeria. cry
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by headboyprince(m): 10:47pm On Aug 16, 2023
LegendHero:

You are correct about what you mentioned. USA is still better than Naija but the lady should have stated the actual truth about the cost of living instead of trying to lie to pass her claim.

That’s what I corrected on this thread.

Lastly, this minimum wage people keep saying, what is the percentage of government workers or graduates in the formal sector that earn exact 30k monthly? People shouldn’t just throw word around. I’m not sure they’ll be up to 3% of the total workforce.

lol you clearly have no deep understanding to this things.. you're just been trying hard to prove a useless point... an average teacher in teh US makes 4k usd per month that is almost 4M.. but in Nigeria you will be happy to see 40k. that is more than 100x...

even if you have a business over there, you'll surely make more than 1000 times your counter part in Nigeria is making, the earning capacity is too far to even compare.. besides even the job of 40k no sure for Naija due to high employment rate... so explain the income part and not only the expenses part... grin
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Offpointng: 10:49pm On Aug 16, 2023
BillionKnights:

You are speaking off point. I know about the mass shootings (they're not hidden stop lying) and I've seen more American crime movies than Nigerian. No matter what you say, America is still a million times better than Nigeria. I've lost too much to this country to be fooled by the likes of you.

No one is fooling you here man. you were not thinking clearly earlier. And besides, I'm in no way comparing both countries if only you could read my comment properly. I'm basically just spelling ur BS out to you and was expecting you learn but you're further disappointing me sad

Did you also know of the shootings at Illinois, Ohio and Tennessee two days ago and another at Tennessee yesterday?? I bet No. Why? their media will not report it for you outta US to know. catch the glimpse here man
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by enemyofprogress: 11:00pm On Aug 16, 2023
Cost of living in Nigeria is very very expenses, but very ship in America and Europe
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Tayorshd87: 11:03pm On Aug 16, 2023
Jestin:
What is your take home monthly? Some private sch teachers are still earning 30k monthly.

That's not the fault of government or Nigeria as a whole instead I can remember u said private school 🏫 meaning is d owner that caused that and not Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Tayorshd87: 11:04pm On Aug 16, 2023
enemyofprogress:
Cost of living in Nigeria is very very expenses, but very ship in America and Europe

Is that what u are told or brainwashed or u are there presently
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Dybala11(m): 11:04pm On Aug 16, 2023
Taylor90:

Bro, that your second to the last statement na lie. Nigerians have tougher skin due to what we're passing through or have passed through, Americans don't need to pray to God for the electricity company to switch the light on like we do in Nigeria etc. Whatever makes a Nigerian depressed will more probably kill an American. People wey be say because of depression one of them fit carry automatic rifle begin kill innocent civilians for street, how many of such cases have you heard in Nigeria even with the bandit/insurgency problems the country has??
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Abbeytoy(m): 11:07pm On Aug 16, 2023
UnfairLife7:
who are you better than in Africa? We top unemployment ladder in the world
We're no where to be found amongst countries with reasonable minimum wage in Africa.

Tinubu came and increased poverty and unemployment from where Buhari left it. An average Nigerians cannot feed anymore. I'm sure you know what would likely take place in the country with all those indices?

What positive effect has your lamentation done since?

What's that thing you're doing to make the country better aside pointing fingers and complaining?
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Tayorshd87: 11:07pm On Aug 16, 2023
headboyprince:

lol you clearly have no deep understanding to this things.. you're just been trying hard to prove a useless point... an average teacher in teh US makes 4k usd per month that is almost 4M.. but in Nigeria you will be happy to see 40k. that is more than 100x...

even if you have a business over there, you'll surely make more than 1000 times your counter part in Nigeria is making, the earning capacity is too far to even compare.. besides even the job of 40k no sure for Naija due to high employment rate... so explain the income part and not only the expenses part... grin

I don't even see why the poster should compare this 2 countries together because it's like comparing mercy and taribo west 😂
U.S is a developed country and Nigeria is still developing I guess that's enough answers
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Abbeytoy(m): 11:07pm On Aug 16, 2023
sweetgala:

A friend of ours collapsed and passed away playing 5 aside football here in too. And I know of another younger boy who had a medical emergency while playing for his local club and died. This is in Europe where emergency/prime healthcare is free and there is rapid emergency ambulance service.
Nah only God dey protect

That's just it
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Dybala11(m): 11:09pm On Aug 16, 2023
samwillyco1:
She should compare development, security, warfare, and many other things.
Warfare ke, shey na war dem dey go fight for the US ni?? 😂😂😂
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by enemyofprogress: 11:16pm On Aug 16, 2023
Tayorshd87:

Is that what u are told or brainwashed or u are there presently
I leave boat in Europe, Saudi Arabia to be precise
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by SenatePresdo(m): 11:21pm On Aug 16, 2023
Enice:
so you think your stupid third class Obi would have done better? See this one! He claims others are the ones drawing us back, not knowing that him and his ilks are the problem we have.
If something does not go their favour, they'll prefer to destroy that thing than to make amends. Now tell me! How can a country move forward when it has such citizens. If it's not in their favour then they destroy it.

What did they destroy?

Abi na to dey shout like illiterate una sabi for South Wastee?
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 16, 2023
Dozie32:
Nigeria is the worst country to ever live In.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by IJEYdiamond(f): 11:51pm On Aug 16, 2023
Taylor90:

Which verse for bible??
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by sonnie10: 12:24am On Aug 17, 2023
sweetgala:

If you live in USA that me I've been to, 49litres wouldn't last you long doin 20-30mpg.
So what's her monthly fuel expenditure, nothing less than 150-200 USD
If she make only $1k a week that is $4k a month, it would be just 5% of her salary

Compare it with someone who lives in mainland and works at the island in Lagos, they will equally buy full tanks every week at say #45k a week
Which is #180k a month.
Assuming the person’s salary is #500k a month, that would about 40% of that person’s salary
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Standardcosting(m): 1:16am On Aug 17, 2023
ednut1:
she lives in Nigeria. Learn to read
No wonder she’s stupid enough to $9600 as the cost of a two bedroom flat. Even the bush I Dey, you no fit get two bedroom for anything that amount.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Originalsly: 1:31am On Aug 17, 2023
Quality foods/groceries $700/ month ...... Nigeria N200 000

Ignorant woman. Beef.... from cloned cows .... steroid packed chicken .... farm fish laden with antibiotics ... modified fruits and vegetables that move from ripe to rotten .. ripe fruits that never attract flies nor ants ... meats that insects stay away from ... "Pure Honey" from bees that never visited flowers ... and these are the quality foods she's talking about. She should say how much the real natural foods in Nigeria cost in the US.

Mama Put ... small food N600 ... US $6 .
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by samuelson06(m): 1:32am On Aug 17, 2023
Olawrites:
Alot of diasporans like Justifying why they left Nigeria. Do your abroad and leave naija alone.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA. No matter what!!!!

You sef go speak blessing mouth go pain you.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Ilaje1: 1:32am On Aug 17, 2023
MrBroke:
Nigerian lady has compared the cost of living in Nigeria and the U.S., and thereafter, asked Nigerians which of the countries offers better or cheaper standard of living.

In her post, the lady said the cost of buying a full tank of petrol in Houston, Texas is $45 compared to Nigeria where she put the figure at N45, 000. She went on to state that the cost of renting a two bedroom apartment in Houston a year is "$9, 600" as against the "N2 million" one would need to get a decent one in Nigeria. She also compared the cost of purchasing food, internet services, monthly wage earnings as well as home security between Nigerians and their counterparts in the U.S.

She's capping. Full tank depends on your car. I spend $60. I don't know if she lives inside Ajegunle, an average 2-bedroom (note: I'm not talking about Luxury apartment) is not less than $1500 per month. That being said, Houston is like living in country side compare to NY, California, Boston and so on, just like living in Oyo or Ogbomoso to Lagos. If you have to compare the cost of living in Lagos and Abuja, you compare to places like NY, Boston California where 2 bedroom apartment is as cheap as $4500 per month.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Ilaje1: 1:33am On Aug 17, 2023
Taylor90:

Okpara death has nothing to do with ambulance, make una no dey lie.
Re: Nigerian Lady Compares Cost Of Living In Nigeria And The U.S. by Ilaje1: 1:45am On Aug 17, 2023
slowice:
The USA is way cheaper and minimum wage is also high

Hahahaha. That's not true. With minimum wage, you can't afford to get one bedroom apartment alone. Hope you factor in tax. For example I'd you make $10 an hour. You get paid about 340-350 per week after tax. A decent 1 bedroom apartment is about 1000-1500. Except you want to rent a room in a shared house AKA FACE ME I slap you, you can get 700-800 per month.

Internet : $50-60
Fuel: $50 - 100 per week (200-400 per month)
Electricity: $70 - 150 per month
Water, gas, waste: $30 - 100 (if you using gas) per month.
Phone bill: $30- 60 per month
Feeding and others: at least $500 per month.

People in Naija go call to send money home.
Daycare if you get pikin: $1000 - $1200 per month except you wan do Naija style where you drop your pikin with a grandma $20-30 per day.

This is Houston quote ooo. No try am for Boston. Thr higher you go up north, thr more expensive is fuel.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Canada Desperate To Stop Nigerians From Coming To The Country-SR / Intimacy gadget Found In A Passenger's Luggage While Search Was Going On. / Onitsha From First And Second Niger Bridge (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.