Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,306 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving (17321 Views)

How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel While Driving? / My Tyre Got Ruined While Speeding On The Highway / Driver Covers Himself With Umbrella While Driving An Open-roof Benz In The Rain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by AutoHubNG(m): 11:13am On Aug 15, 2023
It is illegal to drive over the speed limit as deemed “safe” by way of reasonable regard to traffic conditions. Driving over the speed limit at any rate can be extremely dangerous to the driver, passenger(s), and other road users. Although it may not always be at the top of your mind on a routine outing, it is however, important to always pay attention to your speed on the road. Over-speeding can not only result in crashes, but the driver or responsible party can also face serious legal consequences.

Why is over-speeding dangerous?

Over-speeding not only refers to driving over the posted speed limit, it can also include other behaviours such as driving too fast for road conditions such as in rainy conditions or any other inclement weather, driving carelessly through construction zones, or very bad roads.

The most common dangers caused by over-speeding include but are not limited to the following:

• Increased occurrence of rollover accidents.
• Increased potential for loss of control as a driver.
• Higher severity of the crash, if an accident does occur.
• Reduction in the amount of distance needed to safely stop a vehicle.
• Reduced reaction time.
• Over-speeding can also lead to frequent speeding tickets and increased fines from the authorities.
• Increased wear and tear on your vehicle, and increased fuel costs as well.

Why do drivers over-speed?

Many people over-speed, often for reasons unrelated to aggressive behaviour. Certain reasons that play into why drivers over-speed include traffic congestion, running late, youthful exuberance, as well as simple disregard for the law.

Traffic

Frustration while driving through traffic can increase a driver’s aggressiveness and result in over-speeding. Drivers frustrated by traffic tend to change lanes frequently or express road rage toward other drivers.

Running Late

Running late for work, meetings, school, appointments, or other activities is common and can be a big factor in why drivers over-speed. However, it is better to arrive late and in one piece than early and otherwise. Besides, you are already late; moving around speedily when late in a highly congested city like Lagos for example – with the hope of arriving at your intended destination on time – is akin to planting today and expecting to harvest the very next day! No matter what you do, once you’re late – YOU’RE LATE! Nothing you do matters, and nothing can either salvage or change your situation. And this begs the question – why are you in a hurry to be late?

Disobeying the law

Many drivers over-speed without showing any signs of aggressiveness or road rage. Over-speeding might simply be a result of one’s personal driving style or what’s commonly referred to as “having a heavy foot”, or not wanting to drive according to the law due to one’s own personal agenda and not really the desire to get somewhere quicker.

Accidents Caused By Speeding

In the world, nearly a third of all car crashes are a result of over-speeding. When speeding excessively, the driver has less time to react to other drivers on the road and or road conditions. There are many common accidents related to high speed, which includes:

• Head-on collisions.
• Failing to yield.
• Failure to stop.
• Side collisions.
• Rear-end collisions.
• Intersection crashes.
• Accidents involving pedestrians or cyclists.
• High speeds also increase the severity of injury and fatality rates and cause excessive property damage compared to accidents where speed may not have been a factor.

Safety Tips To Avoid Crashes Caused by Speeding

It is easy to mindlessly forget the speed limit, or to become frustrated and aggressive while on the road. To avoid accidents or other dangers caused by over-speeding, please keep the following tips in mind:

Give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination. It is better to commence your journey or regular commute earlier than later, so you’ll have extra time to get to places. This would undoubtedly reduce your inclination/need to speed.

Be patient; while other drivers on the road may frustrate or even infuriate you, actively focus on keeping your cool so that you and others can arrive at your, and their destinations safely.

Legal Consequences of Over-speeding

The consequences of over-speeding vary widely depending on the circumstance. He or she may incur fines by way of receiving speeding ticket(s) or could even lead to one’s licence being revoked especially in first-world countries where there’s more of an in-depth speed-monitoring of the general public via the use technology.

In some cases, you may be asked to attend mandatory Psychological Evaluation to ascertain the reason as to why you were over-speeding (just pray make Road-Safety no ever do you strong tin I swear).

As discussed, please always bear in mind that it is better to arrive late than never. Do drive carefully and safely. Thanks for reading.

https://autohub.ng/blog/the-dangers-and-consequences-of-over-speeding-while-driving/

17 Likes

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by Edoreborn: 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2023
Accident,, accident,,hmmmmm.. Within a second,,great irreversible damage has occurred..

16 Likes

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by SMOGnow: 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2023
There's no danger in overspending. I've been overspending for the best part of my life.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by harryboyng(m): 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2023
H
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by epadomo(m): 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2023
cry
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by ednut1(m): 3:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
People who over speed are suffering from mental illnesses in my opinion. Where you dey run go

12 Likes

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 3:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
AutoHubNG:
It is illegal to drive over the speed limit as deemed “safe” by way of reasonable regard to traffic conditions. Driving over the speed limit at any rate can be extremely dangerous to the driver, passenger(s), and other road users. Although it may not always be at the top of your mind on a routine outing, it is however, important to always pay attention to your speed on the road. Over-speeding can not only result in crashes, but the driver or responsible party can also face serious legal consequences.

Over-speeding not only refers to driving over the posted speed limit, it can also include other behaviours such as driving too fast for road conditions such as in rainy conditions or any other inclement weather, driving carelessly through construction zones, or very bad roads.

The most common dangers caused by over-speeding include but are not limited to the following:

• Reduced reaction time.
• Over-speeding can also lead to frequent speeding tickets and increased fines from the authorities.

Many people over-speed, often for reasons unrelated to aggressive behaviour. Certain reasons that play into why drivers over-speed include traffic congestion, running late, youthful exuberance, as well as simple disregard for the law.

Traffic

Frustration while driving through traffic can increase a driver’s aggressiveness and result in over-speeding. Drivers frustrated by traffic tend to change lanes frequently or express road rage toward other drivers.

Running Late

Running late for work, meetings, school, appointments, or other activities is common and can be a big factor in why drivers over-speed. However, it is better to arrive late and in one piece than early and otherwise. Besides, you are already late; moving around speedily when late in a highly congested city like Lagos for example – with the hope of arriving at your intended destination on time – is akin to planting today and expecting to harvest the very next day! No matter what you do, once you’re late – YOU’RE LATE! Nothing you do matters, and nothing can either salvage or change your situation. And this begs the question – why are you in a hurry to be late?

Disobeying the law

Many drivers over-speed without showing any signs of aggressiveness or road rage. Over-speeding might simply be a result of one’s personal driving style or what’s commonly referred to as “having a heavy foot”, or not wanting to drive according to the law due to one’s own personal agenda and not really the desire to get somewhere quicker.

In the world, nearly a third of all car crashes are a result of over-speeding. When speeding excessively, the driver has less time to react to other drivers on the road and or road conditions. There are many common accidents related to high speed, which includes:

• Head-on collisions.
• Failing to yield.
• Failure to stop.
• Side collisions.
• Rear-end collisions.
• Intersection crashes.
• High speeds also increase the severity of injury and fatality rates and cause excessive property damage compared to accidents where speed may not have been a factor.

It is easy to mindlessly forget the speed limit, or to become frustrated and aggressive while on the road. To avoid accidents or other dangers caused by over-speeding, please keep the following tips in mind:

Give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination. It is better to commence your journey or regular commute earlier than later, so you’ll have extra time to get to places. This would undoubtedly reduce your inclination/need to speed.

Be patient; while other drivers on the road may frustrate or even infuriate you, actively focus on keeping your cool so that you and others can arrive at your, and their destinations safely.

The consequences of over-speeding vary widely depending on the circumstance. He or she may incur fines by way of receiving speeding ticket(s) or could even lead to one’s licence being revoked especially in first-world countries where there’s more of an in-depth speed-monitoring of the general public via the use technology.

In some cases, you may be asked to attend mandatory Psychological Evaluation to ascertain the reason as to why you were over-speeding (just pray make Road-Safety no ever do you strong tin I swear).

As discussed, please always bear in mind that it is better to arrive late than never. Do drive carefully and safely. Thanks for reading.

https://autohub.ng/blog/the-dangers-and-consequences-of-over-speeding-while-driving/
Most Yahoo boys have killed themselves over race and speed. Useless bloody money

9 Likes

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by MimiSheWrote(f): 3:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
Toomuch of everything is bad.

Afterall na overspeed dey make cockroach 🪳 somersult sad

4 Likes

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by AfonjaConehead: 3:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
Noted..but no bladdy mofo dare overtake me onesy when moi on the highway,ya know cool
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by YeyeGbami: 3:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
Deadly!

I was in my shop when my phone ringed, it was the police. They called to inform me that my 19 year old son is dead woman lamented.

Her son was killed by a speeding vehicle. The vehicle was doing over 200MPH, the driver ran straight into her son’s vehicle from behind.

Speed Kills

1 Like

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by PSVITA(m): 3:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
Good day, My fellow Nigerians. 🇳🇬
Am Emeka Rafael by name, A graduate of Social studies Education, I'm Certificated in HRM & Administrative Support (and also good in IT)

I really need your assistant for a job in Lagos, because for the pass 6 moths i have been job hunting to no avail. I can work as a Secretary, Administrative Officer, Office Assistant, Inventory Personnel, Store/ Procurement Officer.

I currently based in Lagos.

I wish my NL family can help me with any opportunity, I am ready to relocate to any part of Nigeria 🇳🇬

God Bless you all.

5 Likes

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by coolgb(m): 3:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
Quite insightful

1 Like

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by Afterjoy(f): 3:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
Ok
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by Chetas81(m): 3:31pm On Aug 17, 2023
Zombie behind the wheel
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by Dtruthspeaker: 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2023
Op mind ya self o. It is my right to overspeed as long as i no harm anyother person or spoil sumtin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by tesppidd: 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2023
My words of inspiration;

90 percent of potential accidents could be avoided if overspeeding is avoided.

And

It is better to be late than to be the late.

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by Dtruthspeaker: 3:34pm On Aug 17, 2023
ednut1:
People who over speed are suffering from mental illnesses in my opinion. Where you dey run go

Headnut, na mental illness.
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by bigdammyj: 3:34pm On Aug 17, 2023
Noted.
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by Draslo(m): 3:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
Dem no dey tell person. OP dey speak too much grammar.

Just visit National Orthopedic Hospital, Igbobi. You go get personal speed limit.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by MICVOCT(m): 3:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
Speed!!!
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by GanagiBitrus: 3:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
Most times, people who overspeed are not really in a hurry. They just want to form James Bond or to show off that their cars can move fast.
But it's all foolishness & a sign of immaturity.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by slawomir: 3:36pm On Aug 17, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Funny enough na speeding dey sweet for driving

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by BoldBrainz(m): 3:36pm On Aug 17, 2023
ednut1:

No dey cut corners, talk to me directly. See me here!

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by ImoleNaija: 3:37pm On Aug 17, 2023
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by Almiron: 3:37pm On Aug 17, 2023
ednut1:
they’re under influence mostly
Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by free2ryhme: 3:38pm On Aug 17, 2023
AutoHubNG:

• Reduced reaction time.

Traffic

Running Late

Disobeying the law

• Head-on collisions.
• Failing to yield.
• Failure to stop.
• Side collisions.
• Rear-end collisions.
• Intersection crashes.

Re: The Dangers And Consequences Of Over-speeding While Driving by BoldBrainz(m): 3:41pm On Aug 17, 2023
Very reason I hate intra-city driving. All that throttle and brake kind of driving isn't my thing.

Floor the darned accelerator until you can smell the carbon from the exhaust!

You can't be gliding on the Akwanga to Benue state express and be beating yourself over issues like speed. Be like you no wan reach where you dey go. March the throttle down joh! March am wella! Wind down and feel the wind against your face. Watch the trees fly by you. Enjoy the elements of the environments. Just you and nature. What's a good driver without speed?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How you can process doctor's report for tinted glass / Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) / 5 Car Parts Potholes Can Damage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.