Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,041 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees (16230 Views)

Public Universities Not Members of ASUU / How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria / Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by FreeStuffsNG: 11:43am On Aug 16, 2023
The Federal Government has maintained its stance that no federal university in the country should impose tuition fees on students. 

Mr David Adejo, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Education, reiterated this during a public hearing held by the House of Representatives ad committee on student loans in Abuja. 

He expressed concern about the regrettable rise in fees charged by federal universities in the nation. Similarly, the committee’s chairman, Rep. Teseer Ugbor, indicated that the student loan was among the federal government’s efforts to alleviate Nigerians’ suffering and facilitate access to higher education.

What he said
Adejo mentioned that the fees collected by the institutions were utilized to cover various services, including electricity bills.

He contested the idea that the increase in university charges was solely attributed to the enactment of the student loan act. 

He said:

“What they collect is charges to cover the cost of accommodation, ICT, and power, among others. It is the Governing Councils of the Universities that have the power to approve such charges for them.”
“The only university that increased charges after the signing of the student loans act is the University of Lagos.”
“They came to the Ministry with a proposal to Increase their charges because all Governing Councils were dissolved, and we gave them approval”.
“Immediately that was done, there was a resolution from the House stopping the increase in fees and the President also gave a directive stopping any increase in fees and that is where it is, even though several others have brought their proposal,” he said.

He highlighted that, despite the charges, universities struggled to meet some of their financial obligations.

He also disclosed that preparations were underway for the implementation of the student loans scheme during the 2023/2024 academic calendar.

Adejo further noted that President Bola Tinubu had given a directive to finalize the scheme’s modalities for a September launch.

He further voiced concerns about fund disbursement, loan recovery, and the potential exclusion of certain students from the scheme.

He called for open dialogue during the amendment process to ensure all interested Nigerian students could benefit from the loan.

https://nairametrics.com/2023/08/16/fg-insists-federal-universities-not-allowed-to-charge-fees/

9 Likes

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by FreeStuffsNG: 11:43am On Aug 16, 2023
FG is right to a significant extent.

Apart from the University of Lagos (UNILAG), no other federal university has increased its fees or permitted to increase its fees.

That's the status quo for now. It shows how smart and proactive the UNILAG management is; they quickly designed a template to help them recover the increased over head costs, went through the due process , defended it, got FG approval, took the approved adjusted fees to the university unions and got the unions on board. UNILAG gained the first mover advantage as the door is shut against other universities that came late after the HOR resolution.
That's the signature brand UNILAG university culture benefit of having experienced university administrators.
Great university with smart leaders. If you no attend UNILAG, the university of First Choice and the nation's pride ehn, you don miss something very valuable.Check my signature for free stuffs!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 16, 2023
Several schools increased their fees ooo abeg they should not spoil our government for us.
Let's remember Obi is watching and waiting for every available opportunity he gets to condemn our government.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by fastseo: 12:00pm On Aug 16, 2023
First time am hearing this from the APC government.

UNIBEN has 70k as school fees.. so its other charges not school fees

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by specialmati(m): 12:00pm On Aug 16, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin confusion everywhere i told you guys to allow the old man rest but una no agree.news front back and center confusion

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by Yankee101: 12:00pm On Aug 16, 2023
As long as they depend on subventions for funding
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by Blaze14k: 12:00pm On Aug 16, 2023
While most universities have done that already. Who are these people deceiving with there media propaganda

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by drizslim(m): 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2023
Unizik left the group chat

3 Likes

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by XtraFortunes: 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2023
The illegitimate federal government led by Tinubu the drug sniffing vagabond can only deceive their gullible agbadorian zoombies with such bulaba statements about not increasing fees.

Sane Nigerians know the fees were increased because they are paying more and ignore such useless propaganda.

Tinubu will be disgraced out of Aso rock

All eyes on the Judiciary

PODATTI is coming

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by NairaGPT: 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Apart from the University of Lagos (UNILAG), no other federal university has increased its fees or permitted to increase its fees.

That's the status quo for now. It shows how smart and proactive the UNILAG management is; they quickly designed a template to help them recover the increased over head costs, went through the due process , defended it, got FG approval, took the approved adjusted fees to the university unions and got the unions on board. UNILAG gained the first mover advantage as the door is shut against other universities that came late after the HOR resolution.

That's the signature brand UNILAG university culture benefit of having experienced university administrators.
Great university with smart leaders.
guy why sad, for how much sad is conscience that cheap to buy

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by FalseProphet1(m): 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2023
Very sorry the average Nigerian would not be able to afford tuition fees, I see schooling becoming for the rich and the rich only.

This I have seen.

3 Likes

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by nepapole(m): 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2023
Everything is in disarray..... Confusion errwhere
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by Coldie(m): 12:02pm On Aug 16, 2023
Ban them from taking any money at all from students.

In uniport when u graduate they will be asking u for stup1d requirements before they give you ur certificate.
From school fees receipts they will tell u to go and bring ur year1 matriculation gown receipt.

What is the relationship between matriculation gown receipt and bsc certificate?

They know there's a very high chance u don't have this, so they will tell u to pay AGAIN for this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by edogu(m): 12:02pm On Aug 16, 2023
In as much as I don't support the idea of increasing school fees, government on the other hand needs to be sincere. How do you expect them to cope when the cost of running the university has skyrocketed. Most universities, for instance, have stopped paying their exam officers their allowance.

When you complain, the school management will ask you to channel your grievances to IPPIS.

When you complain to the general public, they will tell you to use IGR to take care of these expenses.

When you now decide to increase school fees to take care of these expenses, the general public will still complain.

6 Likes

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by Itohanmiwa: 12:02pm On Aug 16, 2023
Nothing like federal school. Federal university is greater than any other you can think of. During my duration in GREAT IFE, For the whole 4years I didn’t spend up to 100k on fees. It still baffles me when I hear some state school charging 100k plus per session. My young brothers, in all you do strive to gain admission into a federal university. The benefits are immense.

7 Likes

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by Nazgul: 12:02pm On Aug 16, 2023
You halted payment of subsidy to these institutions which was the only way for fees to be reduced, yet you reprimand them for hiking their tuition fees. How do you expect them to raise funds for running the institution?

What kind of clueless government is this?

6 Likes

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by ZUKKYY(m): 12:02pm On Aug 16, 2023
Blaze14k:
While most universities have done that already. Who are these people deceiving with there media propaganda
online propaganda cheesy
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by englishmart(m): 12:04pm On Aug 16, 2023
Just as bail has always been free.

4 Likes

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by LagosFirstSon: 12:04pm On Aug 16, 2023
This government is insincere
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by SILVERLINES: 12:04pm On Aug 16, 2023
cheesy

Let watch out
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by seborrhic: 12:06pm On Aug 16, 2023
This is a goverment of paradox and hypocrisy.
You increase cost of fuel by 500% in one fell swoop.You devalue the naira by 50% in one fell swoop.
Yet you are expecting universities and other FG owned institutions to continue offering quality education,running services and paying salaries with the same subvention prior to the increases!
Nigerians should just accept the fact that the country is doomed for several donkey years.
This generation should go and ask their forefathers and other generation the sins they committed to have had the nightmare of Buhari and Tinubu during their lifetimes.
Extreme badluck and incompetence of the magnitude of Buhari and Tinubu strikes a generation only once.
For it to have visited this generation twice shows a grievous offence was committed in the past.

4 Likes

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by nairalanda1(m): 12:07pm On Aug 16, 2023
pantym:
Hey everyone, just wanted to clarify that I'm not being lazy. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find work due to a lack of opportunities and connections. I have a bachelor's degree with a second-class upper division. I've been unemployed since last year and I'm struggling to make ends meet, especially because I have a child to take care of. If there's anyone out there willing to help with any small opportunity, I'd greatly appreciate it. I believe there are still compassionate individuals on this platform. I would also appreciate any little form of financial assistance. Thanks

ZZenith Bank
Timothy
20 820 1984 0
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by DaveOnuoha92(m): 12:08pm On Aug 16, 2023
Increasing school fees instead of creating more jobs mtcheew
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by nairalanda1(m): 12:09pm On Aug 16, 2023
Hmm
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by adecz: 12:10pm On Aug 16, 2023
undecided

They will charge the fees under a
different heading..

👉Post UTME fees

👉 Admission Acceptance fees

👉Faculty registration fees

👉Departmental registration fees

👉 Course registration fees

👉 Development Levy

👉 increased hostel fees

👉 Cramming 6 students into a room
originally for 3 students.

👉 School ID which they can charge
anything from 10k to 30k.

Last last, these school authority will find
ways of defrauding helpless students. 😐😐😐

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by Fiscus105(m): 12:11pm On Aug 16, 2023
Dnt just bark without single effect, force them to reduce it through ur representative (council) in various universities.
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by EmmaLege: 12:13pm On Aug 16, 2023
Wow 😮
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by Ahmback(m): 12:13pm On Aug 16, 2023
My school MOUAU increased the tuition fee twice year on year.
100lvl I paid N53k, 200lvl I paid N68,500 and now 300lvl a whooping N110,800
And nobody is talking
Re: FG Insists Federal Universities Not Allowed To Charge Fees by mainman7(m): 12:13pm On Aug 16, 2023
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Change Of Cbt Examination Dates For Utme 2013 / Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday / China Bans Exams For Six-Year-Olds As Beijing Retools Education System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.