Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,827 members, 7,831,689 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? (1242 Views)

Sanusi's Removal As Emir: Dele Momodu Poses Question On Future / Junaid Mohammed: Sanusi’s Removal As Emir Won’t Cause Any Crisis In Kano / Protesters Storm APC Secretariat, Demand Oshiomhole’s Removal As Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 8:28pm On Aug 17, 2023
Why did Tinubu suspend Emefiele as CBN governor and was it constitutional ?

How I see it is that constitution says that the president cannot remove a CBN governor without a court order. and approval of the Senate.
In a working democracy Emefiele should have been freed and back at work and Tinubu facing impeachment.

This in not to even mention that an existing court order was in place restraining the DSS from arresting or investigating him.

Legal experts in the house let me hear your take.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by Parachoko: 8:32pm On Aug 17, 2023
Yes, Tinubu have the power to suspend the CBN Governor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by Wainey: 8:36pm On Aug 17, 2023
You are underestimating the power of the executive.
Person we get power to fire a whole CJN, who be CBN chairman?
CBN is under the federal government, it was under the ministry of finance sef

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by Jostoman: 8:37pm On Aug 17, 2023
They dont respect nigeria law and constitution but they want citizen to respect it.

1 Like

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by Max24: 8:39pm On Aug 17, 2023
Are you a foreigner? So, you no dey Nigeria when Emefiele do the masses shege with the nonsense currency swap. Nah the people's curses catch am.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by Wainey: 8:42pm On Aug 17, 2023
Jostoman:
They dont respect nigeria law and constitution but they want citizen to respect it.
CBN governor is under the FG, his actions can be checked by the president

2 Likes

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by RealLordZeus(m): 8:47pm On Aug 17, 2023
Jostoman:
Guy, you suppose reason the post before comment..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:27pm On Aug 17, 2023
So no legal experts in the house?
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
My question is why did Tinubu removal him ?
Parachoko:
Yes, Tinubu have the power to suspend the CBN Governor.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:31pm On Aug 17, 2023
But the CJN was removed by a Court order and his removal approved by senate.
Wainey:
You are underestimating the power of the executive.
Person we get power to fire a whole CJN, who be CBN chairman?
CBN is under the federal government, it was under the ministry of finance sef
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:33pm On Aug 17, 2023
Currency re-design is part of the CBN's role.
Max24:
Are you a foreigner? So, you no dey Nigeria when Emefiele do the masses shege with the nonsense currency swap. Nah the people's curses catch am.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by Max24: 9:40pm On Aug 17, 2023
worksmart:
Currency re-design is part of the CBN's role.
What about stealing and looting? Is the one too part of the CBN roles? Or are you here to swear that he did not plunder the CBN?

1 Like

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:43pm On Aug 17, 2023
But Tinubu has not charged him with that, so why was he suspended?
Max24:

What about stealing and looting? Is the one too part of the CBN roles? Or are you here to swear that he did not plunder the CBN?
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by adebayo987: 9:44pm On Aug 17, 2023
Come, are you Emefiele's cousin? This one wey you enter him diary go pack pictures...

Whether it's constitutional or not Emefiele killed people with his stupid Naira redesign policy. He's facing the works of his own hands and he deserves it.
worksmart:
Why did Tinubu suspend Emefiele as CBN governor and was it constitutional ?

How I see it is that constitution says that the president cannot remove a CBN governor without a court order. and approval of the Senate.
In a working democracy Emefiele should have been freed and back at work and Tinubu facing impeachment.

Legal experts in the house let me hear your take.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by orisa37: 9:44pm On Aug 17, 2023
YOU DON'T NEED THE CONSTITUTION TO TELL YOU THAT. CONTRACTS OF EMPLOYMENT AND SERVICES MAKE IT CLEAR THAT HE WHO HIRES FIRES. EMEFIELE IS EMPLOYED BY THE PRESIDENT AND THE PRESIDENT CAN ALWAYS REMOVE HIM LIKE COMMON "JIGGER" IN YOUR LEG.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:49pm On Aug 17, 2023
Iam not a legal expert, but I know CBN was created by the constitution to be independent of government although the president has power to appoint he cannot remove a CBN governor before the expiry of the 5 year term unless he first obtains a court order and approval of the senate.
Wainey:
CBN governor is under the FG, his actions can be checked by the president
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:50pm On Aug 17, 2023
orisa37:
YOU DON'T NEED THE CONSTITUTION TO TELL YOU THAT. CONTRACTS OF EMPLOYMENT AND SERVICES MAKE IT CLEAR THAT HE WHO HIRES FIRES. EMEFIELE IS EMPLOYED BY THE PRESIDENT AND THE PRESIDENT CAN ALWAYS REMOVE HIM LIKE COMMON "JIGGER" IN YOUR LEG.
Iam not a legal expert, but I know CBN was created by the constitution to be independent of government although the president has power to appoint he cannot remove a CBN governor before the expiry of the 5 year term unless he first obtains a court order and approval of the senate .
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:52pm On Aug 17, 2023
If it is unconstitutional, then Tinubu should be facing impeachment.
adebayo987:
Come, are you Emefiele's cousin? This one wey you enter him diary go pack pictures...

Whether it's constitutional or not Emefiele killed people with his stupid Naira redesign policy. He's facing the works of his own hands and he deserves it.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by Max24: 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2023
worksmart:
But Tinubu has not charged him with that, so why was he suspended?
Why are you interested in what happens to Emefiele that is a billionaire ? Does he not have enough money to challenge the detention with SANs? Or, are you a beneficiary of his looting?
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by adebayo987: 9:55pm On Aug 17, 2023
worksmart:
If it is unconstitutional, then Tinubu should be facing impeachment.
not for Emefiele.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 9:59pm On Aug 17, 2023
It is not about Emefiele it is about the having independent functional institutions.

We cannot condone corruption if we want a functioning government and nation.
adebayo987:
not for Emefiele.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 10:03pm On Aug 17, 2023
I am not so much concerned about Emefiele the person but the disrespect or the independence of the office of the CBN governor that just happens to be be occupied my Emefiele.

Although as a human he deserve fair treatment and human rights guaranteed everybody.
Max24:

Why are you interested in what happens to Emefiele that is a billionaire ? Does he not have enough money to challenge the detention with SANs? Or, are you a beneficiary of his looting?
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by Abagworo(m): 10:08pm On Aug 17, 2023
worksmart:
My question is why did Tinubu removal him ?

Tinubu felt that Emefiele did not support his Presidential ambition hence the persecution. He thinks Emefiele is Igbo and since it is the turn of Igbos to produce President there was ulterior motive behind the cashless and Naira redesign policy.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 10:27pm On Aug 17, 2023
First reasonable response!
Abagworo:

Tinubu felt that Emefiele did not support his Presidential ambition hence the persecution. He thinks Emefiele is Igbo and since it is the turn of Igbos to produce President there was ulterior motive behind the cashless and Naira redesign policy.
Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 10:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
So no legal luminaries on this forum again?

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 11:05pm On Aug 17, 2023
more photos

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 11:14pm On Aug 17, 2023
So everybody seem to agree that his removal is unconstitutional.

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 11:34pm On Aug 17, 2023
check materials for miltary clothing

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by ObaIgwe1: 11:39pm On Aug 17, 2023
This debate was done when Jonathan suspended Sanusi before the expiration of his term... There was no conclusion on the legality of the action because SLS withdrew the case from court after becoming the Emir of Kano...so nothing happened afterwards.

Now that there is a precedence, it is now assumed (or concluded) that the President can suspend (not remove) the CBN Governor if there are allegations of wrongdoing by the CBN Gov. pending investigation.

Technically Emefiele is still the CBN Gov until the Senate vote otherwise.. just that he is suspended on allegation of wrongdoing by the DSS.

1 Like

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 12:12am On Aug 18, 2023
Again I am no legal expert but there can be no setting of precedence without a court ruling.
Furthermore Sanusi was not detained at any point.

Most people would argue that that suspension is indeed removal. The constitution did not give permission for suspension.

But I think common sense would dictate that if the wrong doing is evident and not mere allegation and it's seriousness is such that suspension is the only option, then I am sure it would be looked on favourably in any case brought against the president for suspension.

However in this case nothing but allegations was the reason to suspend him, despite the constitution saying that a court order is required.

I am quite sure the constitution does not give the president the power to suspend to investigate any allagation leveled against the CBN governor.

ObaIgwe1:
This debate was done when Jonathan suspended Sanusi before the expiration of his term... There was no conclusion on the legality of the action because SLS withdrew the case from court after becoming the Emir of Kano...so nothing happened afterwards.

Now that there is a precedence, it is now assumed (or concluded) that the President can suspend (not remove) the CBN Governor if there are allegations of wrongdoing by the CBN Gov. pending investigation.

Technically Emefiele is still the CBN Gov until the Senate vote otherwise.. just that he is suspended on allegation of wrongdoing by the DSS.

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by worksmart(m): 12:33am On Aug 18, 2023
In Anambra

Re: Godwin Emefiele's removal as Central Bank Nigeria governor & arrest is illegal ? by ObaIgwe1: 1:03am On Aug 18, 2023
worksmart:
Again I am no legal expert but there can be no setting of precedence without a court ruling.
Furthermore Sanusi was not detained at any point.

Most people would argue that that suspension is indeed removal. The constitution did not give permission for suspension.

But I think common sense would dictate that if the wrong doing is evident and not mere allegation and it's seriousness is such that suspension is the only option, then I am sure it would be looked on favourably in any case brought against the president for suspension.

However in this case nothing but allegations was the reason to suspend him, despite the constitution saying that a court order is required.

I am quite sure the constitution does not give the president the power to suspend to investigate any allagation leveled against the CBN governor.

Well both in English language and in the eye of the law Suspension is not same as removal or sack. I have worked for organisations and I am also an employer of labor, i should know.

You might need to Google on why SLS was suspended. It was based on nothing concrete. The only explanation from Jonathan was that the Government no longer has confident in Sanusi base on Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria, FRCN's annual report for that year. There were lot of debates by lawyers then unlike now, lawyers are no longer debating the legality of the suspension.

As for Emefiele, he has a running issue with DSS even before Tinubu came to power. It was Buhari that shielded him then. Whether DSS allegations are genuine or not, only the law court can decide and the matter is already in court.

Also, only the court can decide if the President has abused his power to suspend the CBN Govt. But as at of today, even Emefiele is not challenging his suspension and no Lawyer has gone to court to challenge the legality of the suspension... You can take up the honor of hiring a lawyer to challenge the suspension in court, because until a court rules otherwise, the suspension will be seen as normal.

Emefiele himself was a beneficiary of SLS's suspension. If the suspension of SLS by Jonathan was illegal, then Emefiele was also a partaker of illegality.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Let’s Look At The Positives Of Tinubus Tenure On Our Lives So Far / T hisGlobe.com pictures of onitsha you have never seen.its beautiful / 1.5km Of The Lagos Calabar Coastal Road Completed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.